Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking I need a bolt action 22lr. This would be used for squirrel hunting and plinking. The three in the title are leading the list currently and in the order I am considering them, which is largely based on price. So, please give me your opinion as to which and why.

Thanks in advance

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Savage ? lot of features in this one.....have one & shoots great

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Of the three listed....CZ.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CZ. Walnut

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CZ American.....walnut

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Of those three, the CZ 455 in the American version.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Depends on how low you want to mount your scope.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Depends on how low you want to mount your scope.
So that if fits comfortably. On centerfires lows or mediums generally work just fine.

I will say, I'm a bit surprised on the suggestions. I've not handled a 455 or T1X, so that may answer the question for me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You should take the suggestions with a grain of salt. No one outside of folks who were at the Shot show has had an opportunity to handle the Tikka T1x much less shoot it, so the replies are more emotional than factual. The CZ is known to be a generally good shooter and has been around for a long time, but I suspect that the Tikka will give it a run for its money.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If driven by price the Ruger American, plain old rifle will shoot as well as any other Ruger, minus the fashion statement. I consider this a very advanced design. The action and bedding are top notch. The magazine too, cannot beat that for 10 shots with a flush mount. Easy scope mount with 60 degree bolt lift and weaver base. It is not rambo cool. Ruger offers that too.

The old discontinued cz 452 should edge out the Ruger by shooting perhaps, at most, 1/4 inch smaller 5 shot group size at 50 yards. Infact, I see about 1/2 the much difference. The 455 are not getting quite the same review as the 452. The 455 in an American stock, has a beautiful classic stock with old school bolt action.

The Tikka will be more money and I dont know what possible gain you would see. No experience equates to pure guess work. I dont need one.

The Savage and Marlin bolt actions are very old primitive (as in low cost) simple bolt designs that date back to a time when rimfires were cheap kids guns. In terms of pure accuracy, that is all in the barrel and my old marlin micro groove was as accuarate as my cz. The difference? I wore out the Marlin, I could not wear out a cz in 3 lifetimes. Just my opinion.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've an older 452 and a Ruger American Predator.

Ruger trigger is better, just as accurate with most ammo, cheaper mags that work great, comes with better mounting system, and over all just a smoother piece of equipment. That said, I do like the CZ as well. Yo Dave makes a bad trigger better, but I'd not call it great.

Also have a Tikka Tx1 coming. Bet I'll like it better than the other two.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just went with a SS 455, based on the avaialbilty of aftermarket stuff that appeals to me like the DIP triggerguard and mount, plus nice walnut at a very reasonable price.

Was going for a .17 at first, but switched to the .22.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Order this one from Darrik and never look back.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-3039

I ordered one in 22Mag. I took it to the range for the first time a few days ago. It was windy and I still turned in some decent groups. Definitely squirrel accurate. Most rimfires need some breaking in to do their best. This one will likely be close to an MOA gun when it gets broken in and I find its favorite ammo. You can spend almost double on one of those foreign made guns and it might shoot marginally better.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I ordered one in 22Mag. I took it to the range for the first time a few days ago. It was windy and I still turned in some decent groups. Definitely squirrel accurate. Most rimfires need some breaking in to do their best. This one will likely be close to an MOA gun when it gets broken in and I find its favorite ammo. You can spend almost double on one of those foreign made guns and it might shoot marginally better.

In .22 mag I would agree with that due to the near universal .22 mag chamber and bore specs throughout the world.

In a .22 LR - not so much.

The European rifles though, have tighter bore and chamber specs in 22LR. They seem to shoot a wider variety of .22 LR ammo better than American guns. The Euro made .22 magnum and 17 HMR guns dont seem to have near the accuracy advantage over American rifles due to having the same bore and chamber specs

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
CZ 452, I own more than 10 of them. Best value in rimfires. Theres nothing like blued steel and walnut, so i stay away from plastic stocks most of the time. BUT the new Tikka T1X will probably change that. Not a big Ruger fan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd bet money that the T1x is going to do to rimfires what the T3 did to centerfires.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd bet money that the T1x is going to do to rimfires what the T3 did to centerfires.

Doubtful.......

I have owned several Sako p72/ m78 Finnscout and P94 Finnfire rifles during the last 35 years..NONE of them shot any better than the CZ 452 sporters I have owned. I have not heard nor seen reports of Sako Finnfire or Quad accuracy being any better than the CZs either.. Good accuracy, but not some magic "match grade accuracy in a sporter" that everyone seems to want. As a matter of fact the older Sakos I owned outshot the later guns by a bit...And they were certainly better made.

My bet is the Tikka fanboys wlll be very satisfied with the T1x as a trainer for their Centerfires..But- if you are expecting them to markedly outshoot CZs or many other rimfire rifles already on the market -then good luck with that...:) If Sako could not do it with $1,000 rifles, then selling them for $499 and putting "Tikka" on them won't make them shoot any better. And, hopefully they will eject cases better than a Sako m85...;)

I am going to buy at least a 22LR version and run it through its paces to compare it in honest terms with other rifles in that class.
But I am not going to descend into to making silly predictions about its future without having shot one.

Last edited by jk16; 01/27/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 16bore

Yes I doubt that too
Apparently they have the same action profile as the T3 and that is just way too much extra steel for a rimfire action.
Also they use the T3 stock and it is too clubby for a centre fire, let alone a rimfire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmm......🤔

Maybe I'll have to retract that. That 455 is a sharp looking rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

In .22 mag I would agree with that due to the near universal .22 mag chamber and bore specs throughout the world.

In a .22 LR - not so much.

The European rifles though, have tighter bore and chamber specs in 22LR. They seem to shoot a wider variety of .22 LR ammo better than American guns. The Euro made .22 magnum and 17 HMR guns dont seem to have near the accuracy advantage over American rifles due to having the same bore and chamber specs

That probably explains why those that have experience have found that the CZs have shot marginally better. And that's what I opined in my post. Does that marginal difference matter in the OPs application?

Back tracking a bit here, my opinion comes from limited personal experience but a lot of reading on forums like this and others. Working on the law of averages here. CZs are more likely to shoot a larger variety of ammo accurately. Once you find the right ammo for your Predator, the accuracy differences are likely to be inconsequential for what most people use their rifles for most of the time. You are much more likely to have quality control issues with your Rugers. It used to pain me to say that, but that's the business model Ruger has chosen, so they get to live with it. Ruger customer service is the best in the industry. The Predator will cost about $200 less. The Predator magazine is the best of the bunch. The flush fit is nice both in appearance and function. The CZ safety matters to some and not others. Some people like buying from companies that are very active in supporting 2A.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.