-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to mention that RH guys have several options in the FC category, but if Barrett made a LH action, it'd be the only game in town for a high-end, lightweight rifle for lefties. A higher percentage of lefties would be buying than righties, I'm guessing...

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I sure don't expect a company to design and manufacture a rifle which only 10% of the population will potentially buy, even if they are the whiniest 10% of the population.

No sense in whining about it, especially since a right handed gun works just fine for a lefty. Operating off a shot timer, I'm not enough faster with a left handed rifle to matter, and if the gun has a catastrophic failure, one is about as about as the other.

Well then maybe they should make a bunch of LH guns for all the right hand shooters? It would work just as well.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
NULA builds high end lightweight LH rifles, so lefties aren't exactly left out in the cold - they're just lacking in options for an "upper level lightweight production rifle".

I suppose Barrett would build some lefties if you guys were to front the large chunk of money it would take to build an entirely new action. I suspect their market research guys looked at the LH option and decided it wouldn't pay for itself anytime soon, especially when they're just getting ramped up with RH options.

I think Darrik (or someone) mentioned this before - the best way to get Barrett to build LH guns is to buy RH guns now, so Barrett will sell enough to make a great profit and offer other options.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I sure don't expect a company to design and manufacture a rifle which only 10% of the population will potentially buy, even if they are the whiniest 10% of the population.

No sense in whining about it, especially since a right handed gun works just fine for a lefty. Operating off a shot timer, I'm not enough faster with a left handed rifle to matter, and if the gun has a catastrophic failure, one is about as about as the other.

Well then maybe they should make a bunch of LH guns for all the right hand shooters? It would work just as well.

Yeah, good plan. They might even sell a couple hundred of them before going bankrupt.

CrazyIs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So, I saw the .224 Valkyrie on Youtube at the Shot Show, but no mention of the micro action or other chamberings like the .223 Rem in the Fieldcraft. Has anyone seen or heard any further information?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a site with so many members attending the show, you would think we’d have an update.

------------------------
John
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Went to the Barrett booth. They are moving forward with the field craft. Most of the ones they sell are in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think they sell all of those they can make!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmh3
For a site with so many members attending the show, you would think we’d have an update.

Probably crashing in their hotel room after the show... It’s a big busy place

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like a 6.8 SPC is coming too. Would make an excellent low recoil deer rifle here in the east.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There will be no LH Barrett Fieldcraft rifles built. I learned this today here at SCI. The decision was just recently made and I'm led to believe it was in the past 2 weeks. This disappoints me terribly. Barrett spokesperson said their market research showed that 5% of the market would buy a LH rifle and it just will not provide them with the return they need.
Dammit.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I am not even a lefty when it comes to shooting but I still think that sucks!!! And kinda shady given what they eluded to previously.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
There will be no LH Barrett Fieldcraft rifles built. I learned this today here at SCI. The decision was just recently made and I'm led to believe it was in the past 2 weeks. This disappoints me terribly. Barrett spokesperson said their market research showed that 5% of the market would buy a LH rifle and it just will not provide them with the return they need.
Dammit.

The LH guys who are buying right hand guns do have an effect it turns out. I'll buy a Tikka and it will be every bit as accurate or better plus will be about 2 1/2 times cheaper.

Gerry.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dammit.

I spent more than a little time with them last week at SHOT talking about all sorts of issues... They realize there is little market in LH... their guns do not just get chambered in whatever happens to get ordered. Every gun is tested and must prove worthy. They know exactly what it costs to ready a new cartridge for market. They realize the low numbers of guns in any given cartridge in LH will not cover the cost of building a rifle to their standards.

It sucks, but they know the numbers.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dammit.

That bites. But I get it. Woulda been nice if they never listed them though.

Thanks for the info, OSU.

Last edited by Wrongside; 02/01/18.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Barrett should make one LH model because they said they would.It's important to keep your word regardless of what it costs you.

Just make one LH model in one caliber. They should make their money back on just one. Perhaps in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Barrett should make one LH model because they said they would.It's important to keep your word regardless of what it costs you.

Just make one LH model in one caliber. They should make their money back on just one. Perhaps in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I personally think they are miscalculating the demand that there would be for a LH FC. Even with a very limited line. But it's their business and their decision.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I agree with this. My mouth has cost me a bit of money at work over the last 30 years. But if you say something is going to happen, then come hell, high water, or perhaps a loss of money, nothing should get in the way. Make one run of 200 short action lefties and walk away if you can't make money on them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd like to see a LH FC, I'd buy one for my 3 left eye dominant kids. ...butI can certainly understand from a business standpoint. It's not just putting the bolt on the other side, it's a complete change to production including the stock. Time spent making the left hand rifles that "might" sell to 5% of the market is not only losing money there because they won't make enough to pay for making those rifles, it's also losing all of the $ that could have been made making rifles for the 95% that are buying all the 6.5's that come off the line....that is assuming that right hand production would have to be stopped for the left hand production.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazing how many people want to risk other people's money on their notions. How many semi-custom makers have gone belly-up in the last few years because of poor business decisions?

Buy something else.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Amazing how many people want to risk other people's money on their notions. How many semi-custom makers have gone belly-up in the last few years because of poor business decisions?

Buy something else.

To me,it would be about keeping my word,even if it cost me money personally. I guess a man's word doesn't mean anything in the business world though.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,311 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.