Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I don't even want to know WTF that is.......grin

Actually the "My Key programmed" does show up when you run a systems check on the old '11.

I don't what the hell it is.

I think maybe it sets your seat, mirrors, pedal location etc saved to your key vs Danny Devito's key.

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't even want to know WTF that is.......grin

Actually the "My Key programmed" does show up when you run a systems check on the old '11.

I don't what the hell it is.

You can program different keys to run the truck different ways...

Like you program one key to not go over 55mph, etc. Then give it to your employees or teenaged driver.

Your key will let it run normal, but the key you program will not let it run except in the perimeters you set.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, when I posted the merits of gas over diesel I figured I would get slammed. There seems to be a consensus. Isn't it a dang shame what the government has done to diesels. In 1989 Dodge put the Cummins in a pickup, and made diesel a truly worthwhile option. Things continued to mostly improve for the Big 3 until the 2007 EPA requirements, they sure have f'ed the pooch.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, I should have remembered that. My wife's Explorer has it(I think).

But the ol' 11 XLT doesn't have a power seat/mirror/pedal.

Probably a default popup on the system check.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Aren’t you supposed to let something cool off before shutting a diesel down? I’m thinking EGTs. Something about not damaging something...perhaps that’s the idle shutdown feature?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Wow, when I posted the merits of gas over diesel I figured I would get slammed. There seems to be a consensus. Isn't it a dang shame what the government has done to diesels. In 1989 Dodge put the Cummins in a pickup, and made diesel a truly worthwhile option. Things continued to mostly improve for the Big 3 until the 2007 EPA requirements, they sure have f'ed the pooch.

Fords troubles began with the 6.0 about 2003. The egr ...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never driven a gasser, but unless you tow heavy, a diesel just won't pencil out. I have had at least one of every Ford diesel from '83 to the current '17. On my second 6.7. I keep them for around 125,000 miles, and have never had any thing major with any of them.
Having said all of that, I think you'll be better off with the gasser. Maintenance on the diesel is a killer. If I paid for it, I'd likely not own another.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Fords troubles began with the 6.0 about 2003. The egr ...
And that's because they hired International to build the damn thing.. Mine was OK - had it for 7 years. The biggest mistake is that they continued to hire International to build the next lemon - the 6.4L. What a POS... They finally wised up and built their own - Ford's no slouch when it comes to engines... Ergo, VOILA - the 6.7.. I have heard the early ('11) model initially had a few issues with valve seats, but that was about it.. These new ones are outstanding - and with proper maintenance should go half a million miles w/o a hiccup..

I hope to find out.. laugh

Last edited by Redneck; 02/07/18.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

Having said all of that, I think you'll be better off with the gasser. Maintenance on the diesel is a killer. If I paid for it, I'd likely not own another.

I change the oil onthe farm's 3 Super Duty's, my wife's Explorer and my mom's car and F150 go to town. $25 or 30 and I don't have to fiddle with it.

What does an oil change for a diesel cost?

The story I heard from our local Ford diesel mechanic was that IH(Navistar?) knew the 6.0 wasn't quite right and they were working on a modification. Ford was in a rush and told them to go with the current version...

And thus the 6.0 chitshow.....

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/07/18.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Dave, I should have remembered that. My wife's Explorer has it(I think).

But the ol' 11 XLT doesn't have a power seat/mirror/pedal.

Probably a default popup on the system check.

Sam, I've had my gasser for nearly a year now and I still cycle the glow plugs when I start the truck..... I might never get past it, lol.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, I do the exact same thing every time my mom has me warm up her F150 Ecoboost. Sit there for a few seconds looking for the symbol on the dash display, then all of a sudden the light bulb in my head goes on....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

The story I heard from our local Ford diesel mechanic was that IH(Navistar?) knew the 6.0 wasn't quite right and they were working on a modification. Ford was in a rush and told them to go with the current version...

And thus the 6.0 chitshow.....

In a way that's true. The Navistar version of the 6.0 is the VT365. Ford wanted to compete with the Duramax and Cummins on paper for the 2003 model year and insisted the engine put out 325 HP. It wasn't really designed for that with the TTY head bolts and 4 bolts per cylinder (clamping force vs. cylinder pressure, etc.). I've still seen them with ~400K miles on stock head bolts and gaskets, but the real issue was that Ford insisted on using their Gold coolant which has a lot of silicates. Over time and with many heat cycles the silicates 'drop out' and plug the oil cooler. This causes overheating of the EGR cooler which can rupture and push coolant into the cylinders. Compressing water is a little hard on engines and caused head gasket failures like mad. That's why many 6.0 owners swap out the coolant with ELC and monitor the delta between engine coolant temp and engine oil temp so they know the condition of the oil cooler. Ford or Navistar developed a test procedure to identify when the oil cooler needs to be replaced. A great many folks chit-can the EGR cooler with a delete and/or replace the factory oil cooler with a BulletProof Diesel remote mount unit. There are other issues like the early FICM modules that would fail and could damage the injectors. The 2005-2007 are considered the best years because they had a lot of the bugs worked out and had a lot of upgrades. They all used the TTY bolts with only 4 bolts per cylinder, though, so if a guy really wants to make a lot of power they need to install studs and o-ringed cylinder heads. By today's standards the 6.0 is relatively simple, but when it was introduced it was pretty complicated and there was steep learning curve. There is a ton of knowledge out there on the 6.0 now and their shortcomings can be dealt with

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good post... And some of the problems were from owners who just HAD to put a chip in 'em to "get more power"... They got away with it in the 7.3s, but the 6.0 really couldn't handle it..

I was lucky - only had one turbo take a dump the entire time I owned it... BUT - I left it bone stock and didn't push it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I removed my Egr and replaced the oil cooler on my 6.0 at 108,000 miles so far it has been a great motor and I hope to get many more miles out of it.

Last edited by BeanMan; 02/07/18. Reason: Changed oil filter to oil cooler
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Ford should have skipped the International/Navistar 6.0L PS idea and used one of the proven engines that were available in their F650/750 trucks until they got their 6.7L PS lined out.

I have a few good friends that still have nightmares about their 6.0L PS ordeals. They like the 6.4L PS a little better. It really sucked for them. They really like the new 6.7L PS. Glad they got it worked out.

F650/750 Diesel engines.
7.2 L Caterpillar 3126/C7 I6 (2000-2009)
5.9 L Cummins ISB I6 (2000-2006)
6.7 L Cummins ISB I6 (2007-2015)

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My bestfriend had a International with a roll off (tow truck). It had a 7.3L PS without the turbo. Never knew they made them like that. It didn't make much power but it had almost 300K miles on it when he sold it. He said they used those engines in schools busses too.

This style, don't know the model.
[Linked Image]NYH1.

Last edited by NYH1; 02/07/18.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by NYH1
Originally Posted by tzone

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. Mine has 4.10's too. I would've went with 4.30 or 4.56 gears if they were available. My truck came with 275/70-18 tires. They're a little over 33 inches tall. I'm around 2000 RPM's at 75 MPH. Tow's really good, plow's great.

NYH1.

How many miles do you have on it? Any issues?

I got it in July 2015. I'm at 24k miles. I don't drive a lot in the sense that I don't take trips and such. I work it regularly. I use it to tow my trailer (5 to 6K lbs.) in the warmer months. Once in a while I'll tow heavier trailers 10Kish lbs. I have a Fisher 8.5' Xtreme V-plow that I use a lot here in Central NY winter (been out 2 time in last 18 hours). This is my 3rd season plowing with it. Truck's been great so far. I haven't had any issues with it. It's a beast for sure.

I gotta be honest, I'm a Dodge/Ram guy. However, I think all three brands are making good 3/4 and 1 ton trucks right now. They all have really good engines both gas and diesel and good drivetrains. As long as you get the truck equipped correctly for your needs, I don't think you can go wrong.

NYH1.

I have a '14 1500. I'd like to get into the 2500 on the next truck I think. An 8' box would be nice as well. I'm to 110K with zero mechanical repairs. There was some recall for the radio but thats the extent of my issues with it so far. I was never a fan of Ram in the past, and will eat some crow, but I like this one a lot.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
These new ones are outstanding - and with proper maintenance should go half a million miles w/o a hiccup..

You're not going to find out! LMAO. Who are you trying to fool? You're on your 3rd last truck ever. grin grin grin

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. Mine has 4.10's too. I would've went with 4.30 or 4.56 gears if they were available. My truck came with 275/70-18 tires. They're a little over 33 inches tall. I'm around 2000 RPM's at 75 MPH. Tow's really good, plow's great.

NYH1.

How many miles do you have on it? Any issues?

I got it in July 2015. I'm at 24k miles. I don't drive a lot in the sense that I don't take trips and such. I work it regularly. I use it to tow my trailer (5 to 6K lbs.) in the warmer months. Once in a while I'll tow heavier trailers 10Kish lbs. I have a Fisher 8.5' Xtreme V-plow that I use a lot here in Central NY winter (been out 2 time in last 18 hours). This is my 3rd season plowing with it. Truck's been great so far. I haven't had any issues with it. It's a beast for sure.

I gotta be honest, I'm a Dodge/Ram guy. However, I think all three brands are making good 3/4 and 1 ton trucks right now. They all have really good engines both gas and diesel and good drivetrains. As long as you get the truck equipped correctly for your needs, I don't think you can go wrong.

NYH1.

I have a '14 1500. I'd like to get into the 2500 on the next truck I think. An 8' box would be nice as well. I'm to 110K with zero mechanical repairs. There was some recall for the radio but thats the extent of my issues with it so far. I was never a fan of Ram in the past, and will eat some crow, but I like this one a lot.

I've had really good luck with Dodge/Ram trucks. I also have a '07 1500 quad cab, 5.7L Hemi, tow pkg. I have a Fisher 7.5' SD plow on that. I use my 2500 as my main truck and the 1500 just in case something happens. Bought it new and used it daily until I got the 2500. My wife always takes it on me. Both have been great.

Honestly I've only ever had problems with Ford vehicles. I don't know why, I'm cursed when it comes to them for some reason. Same with my dad. I know a lot of guys that have good luck with them so! confused

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
These new ones are outstanding - and with proper maintenance should go half a million miles w/o a hiccup..

You're not going to find out! LMAO. Who are you trying to fool? You're on your 3rd last truck ever. grin grin grin

You got me... laugh

I wouldn't have gotten THIS one if I had simply not gone through the lot out of boredom and saw this thing.. I'm staying away from that place for-EVER... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.