Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No dog either but can't see how your cheapest and best can be built to the same standard. However I am hopefull they are successful , gives us more options.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always interesting to read analysis, opinions, etc on a product by people who have never laid eyes on , much less used a particular product. My Toric 8x42's are stellar performers, punching way above what they cost. The 3-15x Toric scope has been perfect as well, and no, I don't throw my crap around on purpose.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
SWFA can build a 300 dollar scope to hold zero alongside their 1200 dollar model....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pappy,

I hear what you're saying. But, that was what the co-founder stated. Are we supposed to ignore it, and make our own assumptions? Give those lower cost scopes a pass, just because we think it seems like the right thing to do?

I'm with you on, "what exactly does that mean?". When I pressed LaCorte, he didn't have much to say. Makes me either have little faith in the product, the co-founder, or both.

That said, I'm all for a new company with their own take on what hunters and shooters want.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I met the other founder today at a trade show. very nice guy. I talked to him about some of the things we would like to see. he also showed me you can get a "CDS style" turret as an accessory, their middle and upper lines are also japan built. I wish them well as a company and hope they do well. anyone got a link to the formidillo review. I did tell them if they have a scope that they are confident will pass my optics test that I did with the PST 2, (which failed BTW )I would let everyone know.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The ONLY Tract scope I've tested so far is a Toric 3-15x42. Started with my usual "test platform," a Heym SR-21 .300 Winchester Magnum that averages a little over .5" for 3-shot groups at 100 yards with 210 Berger VLD's at 2950 fps. The rings are Talley steel, with the bases Acra-Glased to the receiver to make sure they stay put. The recoil's enough for the rifle to have broken several scopes over the past several years. The Toric's adjustments worked exactly as advertised, every time, when tested the rifle/scope on steel out to 1000 yards--and after the LR testing I set the scope back on zero at 100 yards. It shot a typically small 3-shot group right where it was supposed to.

Then I put the scope on my NULA .30-06, also a very accurate rifle but more than two pounds lighter than the Heym with the scope. The rings were Talley Lightweights, Loc-Tited to the action, and the scope adjusted right to where it should with the appropriate number of clicks. Didn't shoot it as much or as far as the .300, but it worked perfectly.

After that put it on my very accurate 6XC, made by Charlie Sisk, and will see how it works some more soon. But it's been shook up plenty and still works exactly as it's supposed to.

In my night-time optics-chart test it rated as bright and sharp as any scope ever tested, but all the others cost over $1000. This one retails for around $700.

That's the only Tract scope I've tested, so dunno about the lower-priced line that's made someplace other than Japan, like the one Formidilosus tested. But I am skeptical about any claims about all their scopes being being made to the same standards. Have heard that too often from other scope companies, and so far haven't found it to be true.

The Torics are made in the same factory that makes several other very highly-regarded dialing scopes, so I don't see any reason they can't make this one work too. Admittedly have only tested a sample of one, but have corresponded with some other people who've tried Toric scopes and they report similar results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't shoot the messenger. Just relaying what I was told, by Tract.

From Jon LaCorte, co-founder of Tract:

"The scopes go through a drop type test that simulates recoil, the recoil is similar to the same level of recoil generated by the extreme large caliber rifles like the 458 Lott and 458 Win Mag. Our scopes are made in the same factories as many of the other big name scopes, so they all have very similar recoil ratings."

"All of our scopes are designed for the same level of recoil resistance, durability as well as the mechanical construction such as tracking and return to zero"

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/08/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am no expert of any kind. But I bought a tract turion when it was on sale just to see. I would rate the glass right with the vx-3 that I removed from the rifle I put this scope on. Sighted in with 3 shots and adjustments worked perfectly. It shot a 1 1/4" 5 shot group just like my leupold would. I then purchased the custom turret set to my gun and load. 270 wsm 150 gr. at 3000 fps yada yada. Went back to the range and shot the same 5 shot 100 yard group. Dialed to 300 and shot a 4" 5 shot group. dialed to 500 and shot a 6" 5 shot group. I know not great but were are talking a stock mod 70 only trigger work. Dialed back to 100 and first shot was right in the same spot as before. Took it hunting in mexico and it bounced around in a utv for 5 days. Finally had an opportunity to shot a deer 185 yards and it was dead on. So far I am very impressed.

Last edited by azelkhuntr; 02/08/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I get my 6mm Fieldcraft, I've decided to put the Tekoa on it as It's got a good magnification range for the cartridge (and for accuracy testing with my old eyes). According to Talley, a 42mm scope will work with their low rings. Later, I may replace it with something a bit lighter and more compact for hunting, like a Trijicon 3-9, which I've been wanting to try. The more I fiddle with scopes with illuminated reticles, the more I like them.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kingston
34oz...

Yup. Heavier than a NXS. Non-starter right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just getting used to 20oz.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Guys you haven't even seen the scope yet and the trashing has started? I saw the scope first hand and its well built. Come on bitching about 34 oz? My Razors for pigs but I don't mind. This isn't a hunting scope its meant for a heavy tactical rifle. This scope has all the features the big guys have at a cheaper price. I just got back from Shot and the optics market has exploded. Everyone is getting in the game and some are upwards of 4K. In finishing a review of my Tract this weekend. I conducted some tall tracking tests and it worked perfectly. Im open minded almost every company these days has some excellent products. Even stuff Id never consider surprised me. I wish them the best.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The MOA version is being marketed as a LR hunting scope. They have an MRAD model for PRS, whatever that is (if it involves running AND shooting, count me out!)

Not trashing them either, my Tekoa is just fine........so far.

What Tract did you evaluate?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bhoges
In finishing a review of my Tract this weekend. I conducted some tall tracking tests and it worked perfectly. Im open minded almost every company these days has some excellent products. Even stuff Id never consider surprised me. I wish them the best.

Awesome. Can you provide a link to your review, or post it here?

Thanks!

Jason

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m still hoping for a review of this scope. Twice, in as many weeks, I’ve almost ordered one just to see it. What’s the word? Has anyone put one through its paces?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
I’m still hoping for a review of this scope. Twice, in as many weeks, I’ve almost ordered one just to see it. What’s the word? Has anyone put one through its paces?

Sounds like a job for...... you! Come on, take one for the team!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
All I need to know about Tract Optics’ riflescopes.... I learned from Trevor’s silence regarding the scope that never even made it into testing.

Form exposed the flaws.... Trevor provided a little lip service.... then disappeared. His silence on the matter is deafening.

Their binoculars, yes SKane..... I’m referring to multiple binocs, seem to perform well above their cost. I won’t buy one however, because of the lack of established history in the market, and the sub-par warranty.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
All I need to know about Tract Optics’ riflescopes.... I learned from Trevor’s silence regarding the scope that never even made it into testing.

Form exposed the flaws.... Trevor provided a little lip service.... then disappeared. His silence on the matter is deafening.

Their binoculars, yes SKane..... I’m referring to multiple binocs, seem to perform well above their cost. I won’t buy one however, because of the lack of established history in the market, and the sub-par warranty.

Dogshooter , I have no idea what happened with Trevor. I know he moved and changed jobs. I don't believe he has been with Tract for some time. He didn't attend Shot this year either. All I can say is my optic can been excellent and the guys who run Tract are stand up men. Any questions you have they will answer.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.