-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess I better stock up on 20ga hulls. Maybe Hornady will buy the STS-making machinery.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
They do have a plastic creedmoor. The adl is now available that way

I'm seeing 9 700s and 2 783s being cataloged in 6.5 Creedmoor.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jimy
Calling what they make "junk" is really being hard on junk it self. Their quality could not be worse, I wouldn't be proud enough to leave one of their rifles in my barn.

Yes,Big Green has turned out a lot of junk!

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The Remington 700 has always been a great action. Remington has done a good job of building and barreling those actions through the years.

In the 1940's when the 700 series was introduced it was considered junk. No rifle ever designed has taken more manufacturing shortcuts. But since it sold for less money than the competition and proved to be accurate for the money people started to accept actions made of steel tubes with washers for recoil lugs, stamped sheet metal extractors, soldered on bolt handles, and defective triggers. Somewhere along the line they started putting a decent stick of wood on them and polishing the metal and they were eventually accepted as a good rifle. But from a mechanical and design standpoint a $300 Ruger American beats the 700 action in every way. As do most other designs.

Remington's problems go way back. The 870 and 1100 shotguns are the only 2 guns they ever made that I feel are good designs. The 870 is still a solid design, the problem today is in quality manufacturing and assembly. The 1100 WAS a good design, and while still solid, there are better, more modern options.

I can't fault Remington for the plastic stocks and lower quality of metal finish. All manufacturers are doing that because it is what is selling. Buyers today don't want to pay double the price to get a shiny metal gun with a walnut stock. But proper function and accuracy should be there. Other manufacturers have found a way to do that. Remington has not.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is saddish news, but Remington "died" when Cerberus bought them and the other marques. This is going to be a lot like when Winchester went away. The designs are still there, the "rights" to make Marlins, DPMS, Barnes, will hopefully be bought by traditionalist investors with realistic understandings of what the market wants.
950 million in debt is off the charts.
The other good news is, it might end the endless stupidity over the Walker trigger. Just like you can't sue Hitler if your K98 malfunctions.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As I said over on the Remington ammo thread last month, I feel sorry for the rank and file workers and for the line managers who have come up through the ranks. No good outcome for them.

Having said that, my opinion, the best outcome for the Remington "brand" would be for the PE house of cards to implode. THEN, sell off all of the pieces, free of debt, free of prior trigger liability, to business savvy, gun / shooting / hunting enthusiasts (Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr ?), and let the cream rise to the surface.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to considering rifles I can say I’ve never even considered Rem. Not sure why, just no appeal.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

The other good news is, it might end the endless stupidity over the Walker trigger. Just like you can't sue Hitler if your K98 malfunctions.

Unfortunately this is not the case. The new owner will assume the liability unless by contract Cerberus agrees to pay for any future liability costs.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The new owner will assume the liability

Not necessarily.

If the transaction is structured as a purchase of the company, then this would be true. The stock of the old company would transfer to new stockholders.

If someone purchases the assets, including the trademark, then the new owner has no liability. So the same factory could continue to produce the same designs on the same machines in the same buildings with the same brand, and no liability.

The old corporation would still have the liabilities, but no assets with which to satisfy them.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Once Cerberus bought them the end result was easy to predict. What a shame .

This

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
But from a mechanical and design standpoint a $300 Ruger American beats the 700 action in every way. As do most other designs..

I have made it a habit to not ridicule or get into an argument with other posters, as this is the internet and anyone who has a computer, and knows how to type, is going to have an opinion.................but that's just about the dumbest thing I've read on here.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Remington 700 has always been a great action. Remington has done a good job of building and barreling those actions through the years.

In the 1940's when the 700 series was introduced it was considered junk. No rifle ever designed has taken more manufacturing shortcuts. But since it sold for less money than the competition and proved to be accurate for the money people started to accept actions made of steel tubes with washers for recoil lugs, stamped sheet metal extractors, soldered on bolt handles, and defective triggers. Somewhere along the line they started putting a decent stick of wood on them and polishing the metal and they were eventually accepted as a good rifle. But from a mechanical and design standpoint a $300 Ruger American beats the 700 action in every way. As do most other designs.

Remington's problems go way back. The 870 and 1100 shotguns are the only 2 guns they ever made that I feel are good designs. The 870 is still a solid design, the problem today is in quality manufacturing and assembly. The 1100 WAS a good design, and while still solid, there are better, more modern options.

I can't fault Remington for the plastic stocks and lower quality of metal finish. All manufacturers are doing that because it is what is selling. Buyers today don't want to pay double the price to get a shiny metal gun with a walnut stock. But proper function and accuracy should be there. Other manufacturers have found a way to do that. Remington has not.

I shoot Remington 1100's because I am a lefty but the Remington 1100 is an outdated design. When Sporting Clays took off in the early 90's Beretta took the semi-auto market away from Remington is less than 5 years with the Beretta 303 and 390 model. How did Remington react to the new foreign competition....Nothing! Remington introduced the new Remington V3 last year with a new gas system 20 years too late to have a difference.in the market place. Beretta is too entrenched with a better gas semi-auto. Remington is dying due to complacency and do you remember Kodak.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JamesJr
But from a mechanical and design standpoint a $300 Ruger American beats the 700 action in every way. As do most other designs..

I have made it a habit to not ridicule or get into an argument with other posters, as this is the internet and anyone who has a computer, and knows how to type, is going to have an opinion.................but that's just about the dumbest thing I've read on here.

I agree.....The action on a Ruger American is about as Smooth as the Zipper on a pair of Levi's

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Exactly what happens when the Founders of a company along with descendants thereof have either died off or lost interest in the well being of their company!

Once the 'bean counters' take over.......goodby company!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I have worked for two companies owned by Private Equity firms (like Cerberus) in the past five years. A PE firm's typical M.O. is to bleed as much cash out of the company as possible, "polish the financial books" for a couple quarters and then flip it to another PE firm. Rinse and repeat... Mediocrity is a way of life in a company owned by a PE firm because all available cash is flowing directly to the PE "partner"... Stupid decisions that give a short term boost to cash flow that are not long term sustainable are common.

Think of a giant lamprey eel that is attached directly to your bank account...

This^^^^^^ have been & still am, working for an investment owned company. Same general SOP.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

During the 20th Century, Remington dominated the market in CF semi-auto hunting rifles and CF pump action hunting rifles.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I figured this would save them:
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Remington pretty much had the market cornered on semi-auto hunting rifles. When I was a kid the standard deer rifle was a 742/7400. Tastes changed and more and more people started carrying bolt actions.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/09/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I figured this would save them:
[Linked Image]

I know of at least 3 versions of this by 3 diffent makers all offered new at the same time.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The speed at which people's knees jerk to blame the bean counters when this topic comes up makes me suspect they haven't sat down and tried to make a list of every successful design (technical and commercial) Remington has come up with AFTER the Model 1100 came out in (1963?) and compared that to the list of "other". A pump gun invented in the afterglow of WWII is only going to take them so far. I'm sure they wish it was still the 20th century.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1Longbow, 222ND, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 75 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,567
Posts18,531,820
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.