-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 4 Mossbergs, 3 Rugers, 2 Savages, and 2 Marlins (pre2009) in my safe, not a Remington to be found. I feel that I'm not alone, and that is Remington's downfall. I don't believe I've ever had the desire to own a Remington, they've never made anything that appealed to me.

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
As a "bean counter" I have to say that these decisions fall under the purview of management, marketing, and R&D. "Bean counters" tell you numbers, they don't make the decisions. Most "bean counters" I have met can tell you that cutting costs usually results in lower quality and sales.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MRitchie
As a "bean counter" I have to say that these decisions fall under the purview of management, marketing, and R&D. "Bean counters" tell you numbers, they don't make the decisions. Most "bean counters" I have met can tell you that cutting costs usually results in lower quality and sales.

Sir, I agree wholeheartedly. However, matters not one iota when the PE partner tells the head corporate bean counter that they expect a payment of $XX million dollars on such and such date later in the month. Vendor payments get delayed. Projects get cancelled. Salary raises go out the window. Productive working relationships with long standing vendors get scrapped because new guy vendor will offer Net 60 terms in lieu of Net 45. Profitable long term lease contracts are sold to a finance company at a loss to pull ahead the cash flow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an M700 in 7x57 made in 1981, wonderful rifle. I have an M700 VSSF in 308, a tack driver from the mid 90's. Then I have a new M700 223 ADL, PIECE OF CRAP!!

I know a gunsmith who builds custom rifles. He says if the action was made in 2010 or later he will not blueprint it. That far off. He says he's seem bolts where one side of the lugs was not in contact at all. He said he's seen threads in the reciver that looked like the were cobbled in with a file. And he says those threads will be off from being in line with the bolt.

Last edited by Armednfree; 02/09/18.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I am sorry to here this. I confess not to be a fan of anything that Remington currently offers. I do have a M-11-48, 2 M-870s, a Nylon 66, a M-742, and a M-700 SPS. The shotguns fit my needs quite well and the SPS is my bad weather rifle, but my hands down favorite hunting rifle is a Winchester M-70 classic and favorite .22 is a Ruger 10/22. Remington just ain't what they used to be, and it is a shame.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Remington pretty much had the market cornered on semi-auto hunting rifles. When I was a kid the standard deer rifle was a 742/7400. Tastes changed and more and more people started carrying bolt actions.

I remember those days well. We had two .30-30s, one shotgun, one bolt action, and about seven 742s in our deer camp. The 742 guys thought the bolt action was a joke. He was the clear outlier in the group, despite being the only rifle loony.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad day when DuPont sold Remington, downhill ever since.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most "bean counters" I have met can tell you that cutting costs usually results in lower quality and sales.

Whether bean counters say that or not, it's not true.

The Cost of Poor Quality includes warranty, customer service, ineffective meetings, excess inventory, scrap, rework, and many other costs. In most companies, it's staggering. I have inside information from one very large company that they estimated COPQ at 37% of revenue.

COPQ is an enormous target of opportunity.

As you reduce scrap, rework and such, quality goes up and costs go down. The amazing result is, if you do it right, low cost, high quality, and high customer satisfaction all happen together by driving down COPQ.

If management isn't constantly paying attention to quality, COPQ, and customer satisfaction, costs get out of hand and customers become unhappy. It's a pity, because so many companies ignore this.

The hope is that whoever takes over the company next will do a better job.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rumor djt jr watches the forum?

Wink wink... elbow elbow.

#maga
#mRga

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've had about 40 Remingtons.
Thought them "K mart"guns growing up, as they sold them and the glossy RKW finish was usually dimpled.

Tried a few when older, ended up buying them more than others.

Not a fan boy, just use what works well for me.
Only 1 turd in the bunch.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't experiment anymore, and am not a collector.
Don't need more stuff, just need to use what I have more.
So doubt I buy very many guns before I keel over.

Most everything I'd be interested is no longer made.
That aint gonna help a manufacturer.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's my latest Remington purchase:

[Linked Image]308 Win/Remington M700 factory barrel/action by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Ten rounds from 900 yards that I covered with the back of my closed fist!

[Linked Image].308 Rem M700 VS by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I shot a left handed action Remington M700 for THOUSANDS of rounds in NRA HP competition....never had one failure to extract, no broken firing pins, or the bolt handle coming off when shooting rapid fire and there was lots of that! In 1994 that same rifle 'kicked azz' over in Texas by helping me win the Texas State Long Range Championship! It also did quite well for me when I was shooting the Palma game!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I wouldn't worry about a safe full of Remington products. They have a lifetime warranty! smirk

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can’t say I’ve ever been too fond of Remington’s in general. Sad to see an old American gun manufacturer flounder though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Therein lies the problem.

It's when those people are put into the supreme management positions that things generally go south. Not always, but with some things, that seems to be the pattern.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to see anything American made fail. But the fact is, this country was founded on the principles of merit, fair market, and the freedom of choice this allows. If Remington can no longer make the grade, that is Unfortunate, But a fact of reality.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Therein lies the problem.

It's when those people are put into the supreme management positions that things generally go south. Not always, but with some things, that seems to be the pattern.

Any R&D person or engineer will chew your ear for hours about bean counters,
They are the very reason that most things you buy are junk.
They run their numbers based on annual production, and look at the final bottom number.

We don't buy annual pruduction, we buy units.

I don't GAF that they save 50 cents on a too short zipper,
75 cents buying cheaper fabric,
And 50 cents not properly sewing the seams.

I would gladly give them $3 more a pair for jeans with a decent zipper, that would last a little while.

Rant over.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I figured this would save them:
[Linked Image]

Between this and adding a magazine to a pump shotgun, I knew they were grabbing at straws to try to sell more products.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Some pretty fair country custom gun smiths will tell you that the newer CNC machined Remington 700 actions are far truer than the "good ones" from days gone-by. One told me that the need to completely "blue-print" a 700 action has largely passed.

If the old Remington goes away due to poor management, it will re-birth somewhere. The action design is too good and it has been too successful to scrap it completely.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I fail to see how a 1994 or prior Rem has anything to do with what Cerberus pushed out. As for warranty, how long did they ignore and fail to correct the triggers?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,563
Posts18,531,649
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.