Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by smokepole
I think you have a good list of bullets.... Good luck.

Good. And thanks.

Will there be cake?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by FatOldMIHunter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
We all know your gonna stick with what you got in Rifles/glass... and ultimately fail due to constraints that have nothing to do with “picking a bullet”.

If it turns out that my rifles/optics are inadequate, I'll either upgrade or reduce my range. I don't have a problem with that. But hunting is my hobby, not building rifles. In all likelihood, 400 yds will be my maximum range, but if I do what I can to shoot well out beyond that, I'll have more confidence when I shoot game at that.

No no no! You aren't doing it right! And your decisions, because they aren't the right ones, are only worthy of scorn! What are the right ones? Well, they're what we say they are! Never mind that Elmer Keith popped an animal at 600 with an open sighted revolver in 44, or that to 600 max, all problems are easily solved with shyte scopes, factory crap guns with the wrong twists, and bullets with half-way decent BC. The only mysteries left to be solved after whether your bullets are pointy is how well you can sight-allign, breathe, and squeeze. There's no tricks to 600 across flat-ish terrain. Plastic $300 rifles with $100 glass loaded with scrounged range brass will do it, and do it well enough to kill deer. Just pick pointy bullets.

Haven't killed much at 600 have ya??? Especially with any wind over 3mph. If you had you wouldn't have made those comments, I would enjoy seeing the consistent $100 600 yd scope.

No, I haven't killed much at 600. But that's not the point. This isn't a pissing contest. I've shot lots at 600 and beyond. One of the scopes I use is Nikon Buckmaster 2 4-12x40, which is perfectly adequate for 600 yd shots. I know. Do you? Put away your dick. I also hunt in places where my long shots involve cross-canyon shooting, which is completely different than shooting across flatish ground when it comes to wind reading. Again, put away your dick. I don't want to see it and I don't care how far you, or your buddies, can piss.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
May or may not..... DEPENDING ON WHICH ON YOU PICK, and your ACTUAL TWIST RATE.

You really are a dense one....

You are free to expound on which bullets are best for which twist rates, barrel lengths, magazine lengths, powders, brass, primers, stocks, scopes, slings, soft and hard cases all you want.

I would... but it would be WAY over your head.... and you wouldn’t listen anyway...

I forgot to add bipods and shooting sticks to the list.

And all of this ire just because I had the audacity to select which of your recommendations I would accept. My, my, my.

Will there be cake?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ire?

Hardly.

No one here is mad at you.... we’re actally all laughing at you.

We see 20 dudes like you a year..... asking questions.... then telling us all we don’t know schitt.

You should shoot Trystan a PM.... he was where you’re at a year or so ago.... now he’s killin’ it at 1000 yards plus.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
HA!

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Ire?

Hardly.

No one here is mad at you.... we’re actally all laughing at you.

We see 20 dudes like you a year..... asking questions.... then telling us all we don’t know schitt.

You should shoot Trystan a PM.... he was where you’re at a year or so ago.... now he’s killin’ it at 1000 yards plus.

Where have I told anyone that they don't know what they are talking about? On the contrary, I've assumed that you all know your business unless I discover otherwise. I've invited you to sell me on your bullet preference opinions. But as I said, the truth about my rigs will be revealed on paper or in my freezers after I put the right bullets through them. I'm content to let that play out. My interest in this thread is in eliminating bullets from the list of things I could blame for poor ballistic and terminal performance. There seems to be a trendiness factor in bullet selection. What's in favor one year doesn't stop performing well, but some other bullet like the ELD or the Edge TLR might suddenly be the new preference. And it's perfectly fine if you laugh at me, but insulting seems much more like the behavior of someone who is just pissed off because they aren't getting their way or being treated the way feel entitled to. It's a kind of control freak behavior that I just don't understand.

Will there be cake?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
If I'm reading correctly, your saying: "I have these 3 guns, and I want to be more proficient in LR shooting and hunting. What do you recommend?"

IMO...

1) Grab the Ruger American 308. Bc its likely to be all the accuracy you'd want.
2) Add an SWFA SS 10x w/Mil-Quad in rail and rings. Known scope for LR.
3) Go buy some Fed Gold Match or Prime 308 or any other known 308 ammo.

If the ammo shoots - buy 500 rounds and never look back.

Matters not how many respond here, this post is the best one. At 600, the factory twist rate is well within the sweet spot.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't read all 9 pages even though I posted a bit. I'd take the swede, mount up a 6x swfa scope with milquad reticle, buy some 140 vld berger bullets and some RL26.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

My two "distance" rifles are a Browning A-bolt Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag and a Howa 1500 in 6.5X55 Swede. I also have a Ruger American in .308 Win, but I see that as a MPBR gun for use in the wooded areas of the property, although I do plan to work up loads for longer distance shooting. The A-bolt has a 4-16X42 Nikon Monarch BDC scope. The Howa 1500 has 3.5-10X44 NikkoStirling Gameking AO. The Ruger American has a 3-9X40 Sightron SI HHR.

I have some ideas about hunting bullets for each, but it seems like there are a few people around here with way more long range experience who enjoy recommending things, so I'm willing to be convinced that what you know is useful in my strategy. So thanks in advance for reasonable suggestions.

Of the components you list in your shooting systems, your optics are the weak link and WILL limit you in attaining your goals. At the ranges you are discussing, the bullet will have minimal effect on getting hits. So, while there are lots of great long range hunting bullets out there, you will be wasting their potential without a decent scope and mounting system. None of the rifles you mentioned would be my first choice, but will work for what you are describing, providing your optics are up to the task.

If you are on a budget, consider flipping one of your current scopes and buy an SWFA Super Sniper 6x or 10x and a bulletproof mounting system. The scope is only $300 but it will track correctly and retain zero and return to zero reliably. Without those qualities, you are wasting your time. With those qualities, up to 400 yards with any decent hunting bullet, you will be pinging targets so routinely it will be boring. The mounting system need not break the bank either. Burris XTB bases with SWFA rings will be rock solid reliable and not terribly expensive.

Once you get to about 600 yards and past, bullets become more important. Provided your range to target is known, trajectory is easy. Wind, on the other hand is much less certain and you’ll want all the help you can get from a projectile. But, without optics that are up to the task, you’ll be wasting allot of those bullets.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-105767.html

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-tac-30mm---1-rings-97259.html

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/mounts-and-bases/xtreme-tactical-bases

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In all likelihood, 400 yds will be my maximum range, but if I do what I can to shoot well out beyond that, I'll have more confidence when I shoot game at that.

Shoot what you got, out to 400, now. Don't waste time thinking, debating, or planning what to do next. And don't plan for a solid "maybe".

Once you've shot at 300 - 400 extensively, learned what works and what doesn't, come back with targeted questions. Right now, you're just wasting everyone's time. Get to shooting.

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/11/18.
IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by 4th_point
In all likelihood, 400 yds will be my maximum range, but if I do what I can to shoot well out beyond that, I'll have more confidence when I shoot game at that.

Shoot what you got, out to 400, now. Don't waste time thinking, debating, or planning what to do next. And don't plan for a solid "maybe".

Once you've shot at 300 - 400 extensively, learned what works and what doesn't, come back with targeted questions. Right now, you're just wasting everyone's time. Get to shooting.

If you had read, you would know that I've been shooting out to 300 and that 400 will happen when I've had sufficient good weather and time to move my blind there (I prefer some shelter when temps are below 20). I've been hitting an 8" gong consistently at 300 with loads already developed, including predator loads that I would never consider shooting at deer (unless I was starving which I am a long way from).

Will there be cake?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good. You're on your way. But you can get away with murder at 300, that won't fly at 400 and 500.

How about just forget the blind, and start shooting at 400 right now? Don't wait for the weather.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Good. You're on your way. But you can get away with murder at 300, that won't fly at 400 and 500.

How about just forget the blind, and start shooting at 400 right now? Don't wait for the weather.

Because without the blind, I've got no stable rest and I would sometimes be getting snowed upon. I tried resting the gun on plastic barrels, but that's not stable enough. The obvious solution would be to set a table and chair in the bed of my pickup, but it's illegal to shoot from a vehicle or even a trailer connected to a vehicle here. It's illegal to even lean a loaded gun against a vehicle here. We have too much government.

I should be able to move it next month. Maybe sooner.

Will there be cake?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

True that!

For many folks, first round hits on 8” plates at 300 in most conditions is about 7-9/10 maybe a touch better. Making first round hits on an 8” plate.... hell, even a 12” plate, at 600.... for most folks is a coin-flip at best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
(I prefer some shelter when temps are below 20)

I hear what you're saying. I prefer umbrella girls, when it's hot outside. Best to hunker down and wait until the weather gets better. Check back in with us in April, or May?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Umbrellas have a ping pong ball BC..... palm fronds is where ya wanna be. Hint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. And my iced tea in cup made from a coconut.

FOMIH should consult with Trystan. They'd probably get along well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FOMIH should consult with Trystan. They'd probably get along well.

Brothers maybe........

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
(I prefer some shelter when temps are below 20)

I hear what you're saying. I prefer umbrella girls, when it's hot outside. Best to hunker down and wait until the weather gets better. Check back in with us in April, or May?

Is somebody holding a gun to your head and requiring you to read?

Will there be cake?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know about the rest of these guys but I keep checking in to see if Huntsman bought that Fieldcraft yet........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,741
Posts18,495,096
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.