Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 73 74
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I used to do a lot of native style twining and fingerweaving with natural materials. Texas Archaeological Researh Lab has an extensive collection of pecos area woven material and artifacts. While young son was doing some internship there I was able to get into the vault (tripping over the Malakoff heads collected in the 30's) and examine 100's of preserved woven artifacts.

Barry's housecleaning comment prompted my memory of one of the woven sandal type pieces of footware affectionately and accurately refered to by research staff as "the pooh sandal".

That's some really nice points, Bob! I like those Garzas and Toyahs...

Had some really nice woven mats (in pieces), and lots of those woven sandals. Usually, the sandals were woven Soto fibers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Mathsr! Very nice!

Barry, Thats cool! That stuff really like the dry in those shelters. That small point above Washingtons head in the one photo. I could see Sheffield Texas from the shelter where I found it.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by J23
I have no idea "where" to look, and "what" to look for. Anyone want to share some tips?

Old, permanent water sources. Streams usually.

Look on the higher bank, above the high water marks. Those folks had to have water, but they weren't stupid, so looking in a creek bed is usually a waste of time. Old, more permanent camps are within a pretty easy walk from water.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
deerstalker:
I'm sorry. It could well have been, but could also have been Herby Schwartz, Elmer Fudd, or Kilroy W. Here. He used moose/deer antler butts and some heavy copper rod as hammers, and then wood/copper punches for pressure flaking. That with a good layer of saddle leather in his lap and in one hand. I suspect you are correct, but 1985 was like 33 years ago. Consider myself lucky at 72 yrs to remember the combo to my gun safe. Sometimes I open it just to practice.

Have a good one,

Edited: That lower center white point with the ruler in your image above appears to have been done by a left-handed knapper. A right-hander would run those flakes in the opposing direction starting from the upper right edge. For comparison, look at the largest certer piece in Renegade50's picture above. The flakes on that one originate from the upper right edge. Nice work with tough material.

memory? what are we talking about? grin crazy

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is a definite "make the campfire great" thread. Thanks.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I tried creek walking direcly adjacent to a spot I've found thousands of artifacts in.

Did not find even so much as a chip or flake. Other people I have met have had some luck. Waste of time for my areas. Too much competing media in the creeks here.

Now if you have a muddy bottom branch with no gravels, might be way different.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
I tried creek walking direcly adjacent to a spot I've found thousands of artifacts in.

Did not find even so much as a chip or flake. Other people I have met have had some luck. Waste of time for my areas. Too much competing media in the creeks here.

Now if you have a muddy bottom branch with no gravels, might be way different.

I've found some pretty decent stuff where washes and erosion went through a camp, or the banks changed a bit. Mostly the good camps I've found are above all that. FEMA should use the camps as a basis for 500 year floodplanes.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IZH27
[img]https://imgur.com/a/AeDeL[/img]

About 20-25 of these were found in an tobacco patch after the guy plowed it deeper than it had ever been plowed. The area is a high shallow, and for this area, flat hollow with a lot of springs on each side. Camp area? It brings up the question of how deep in the ground the good stuff rests?

Years ago, most all cropland was plowed each year with a moldboard plow. That turned the soil over, and it was pretty easy to find stuff. Todays farmers rarely do that.....the Mennonites and Amish still do....instead relying on no-till or minimum till. No doubt that the good stuff is down there deep in the soil.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 1minute
oldtimer303:

No, not familiar with Grayghost. I spent an afternoon with a professional knapper at a conference in Bozeman in about 85, but his name has long ago escaped me. He was hammering untreated flint, and his fingers and arms clearly exhibited the stresses they'd endured over the nears. Said his doctor had long ago encouraged him to quit. He did have beautiful stuff, and I was obviously way short of his skills in working that material.

I have some Texas buddies that owe me, and they're always threatening to bring up some flint. Always escapes their mind though when they do get around to running this way. I recall seeing sizeable chunks embedded in rip rap boulders around Brownsville and Corpus Christi. Lots of variable colors as well.

We have a couple professionals in the region that display some 24 to 30" pieces in both red and black obsidian. I'm fairly sure they rough their blanks out as thin slabs with rock saws. Sadly the younger of the two rolled a 4-wheeler a couple years back and suffered some brain and vision damage. Migraines etc have set him back. With a good marketing manager, I suspect he could have earned 6-figure coin setting up shop in a well visited year round destination resort.

Sawed blanks are a bit of cheat, but they certainly conserve material. One shapes the slabs and then simply flakes off the saw scarred surfaces. I can start with a foot long chunk, hammer out a single point, and have 5 lbs of waste at my feet when done. I'm pretty much an impact and pressure flaker. With a saw, one can get 7 or 8 similarly dimensioned points out the same rock I started with, and be left with a couple lbs of waste.

Given what pops out of the ground on occasion though, there were some seriously skilled artists roaming around our continent in pre-settlement days.

1Minute& Kaywoodie

Grayghost did in fact saw his thin blanks with a rock saw. Devised some type of mechanical had operated method to flake with. Interesting guy, a friend of mine knew him and introduced him to an old knapper from West Pains Mo who in turn taught Grayghost to knap. Within a few months his ability excelled the old knapper. Google him for a very interesting read on his life. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I wanted an Indian arrowhead since other kids brought them for show and tell in the first grade in 1957.

I was hunting for coyotes in 2006 and found this.

I looked down and said to myself, "There has got to be an Indian arrowhead somewhere in this gravel." and there it was in a minute.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Locally (if 35 miles away can be deemed local) there is a university sponsored dig going on during our spring summer months. It's in a spot beneath a basalt rim that would offer some degree of shelter from the elements, but not a place one would expect village like numbers. They are down about a dozen feet, finding enough to keep them interested, but not anything a collector type would go bonkers over. Carbon dating has them back about 14,000 yrs right now.

The area is in about a 12" annual precip zone supporting an endless sea of Wyoming big sagebrush (about 2.5 ft tall). No perennial water within 10 to 15 miles. One of our primo obsidian sources is only about 5 miles away. An interesting aspect is that all the wood and fire ring remnants are willow. Today, one would have to hike all the way to perennial water to pick that up. Obviously, the climate and vegetation were quite a bit different around here when we were exiting the last ice age.

Most of us fail to think in those time scales, and mother nature can deposit or move a lot of soil when one starts thinking in thousands of years. If one deposits about 1/32 inch of soil in a single year (not unreasonable in a forest), he ends up with about 36.5 feet of accumulation after 14,000 years. Again, Cookie and I are not pot hunters, but I've sound a few worked pieces of obsidian (scrapers and bifaces) two to three feet down in forested road cuts.

A lot of evidence in this region suggests there were waves of occupation and abandonment through the ages with the lithic tools being of different styles for each era. They see some similar patterns up along the Columbia River where salmon were a mainstay. During any of the Missoula Floods, the water was too deep and fast for fishing, and tribes headed into the highlands to make a living for several generations returning when the flows subsided.

It also seems some of the more artistic artifacts come from areas where the living was relatively easy. Most of the pieces found in our arid deserts are quite crude. They're functional, but nothing suggesting much in the way of artistic pride.

Mathsr:
Just curious: Where on earth does a guy from Georgia go to source obsidian?

Last edited by 1minute; 02/09/18.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mathsr:
Just curious: Where on earth does a guy from Georgia go to source obsidian?

I have to order it. mad But still, it isn't all that expensive. I can sell a few points made into necklaces and easily cover the cost of 25 pounds of obsidian. Missouri Trading Company Is the most reliable place I have found to get obsidian so far.

Most of the flint in Georgia is hours away from me and a pain to work. The Georgia butterscotch flint makes a very attractive point, but can have a lot of faults and inclusions in the rock. I have found that obsidian is easy to work, has very few faults or inclusions and makes an attractive point or blade. I guess I'll keep on ordering it.

Harry
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mathsr:

Thanks, I was just curious. Lucky enough to just kick cobbles out of ones way here as I walk down a hill. Agree that it's the easiest of all the untreated materials to handle. Knappers are an inventive bunch though. I've seen some very nice pieces made from old porcelain toilet bowls and urinals.

Have a good one,

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Cool partial, how ya cut your hand?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pheasant spur

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Damm dude what was he Arnold swartzinpheasant ?
I have grabbed a bunch of turkeys by legs and stepped on their necks and give em a jerk to snap their
necks, never got spurred like that. Some old "timers" have told me "boy your getting spurred real bad 1 day"
I don't listen to alot of old timers around here that have only shot 1 handful of turkeys their entire life needless
to say.
That bird got ya good though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1minute:

I have been known to make some points out of weird things when I get hard up for some good rock, but think I'll pass on the urinals and toilet bowls. I've used old TV screens, floor tiles(not really all that bad) bottle bottoms and glass plates.

I found some old red glass plates not long ago and made a few small points from the bottom of them. Those were pretty thin but looked good...red glass is really hard to find around here.

Harry
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Mathsr,

I think thats how they found Ishi. He was rummaging thru a garbage heap looking for Milk of Magnesia bottles wasnt he? The blue color supposedly meant something to him. He was using the bottoms for points. You've probably heard that story!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image]
The paleo haw river on the upper left is gonna be a center peice for another shadow box eventually.
Some stuff from last spring
Fish tail Dalton on lower left was
a heartbreaker when I picked it up.
Small missisippian point is about 7/8ths of an inch long.
Yet to figure out what the small triangle thing that is to the right of the fish tail dalton
It is a whole peice, really finely knapped all around on both sides.

Last edited by renegade50; 02/13/18.
Page 3 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 73 74

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.