Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can make 200 gallons of wine or beer in Texas each year for personal consumption, but distilling even an ounce is illegal. Some of the pictures in this thread could be considered "evidence" if you catch my drift.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I made it while I was in the navy. Up until the time I had an over pressure and blew up several gallons of raspberries in the back of an AC unit. Wine is easy and not too difficult to make excellent wine. My mother made persimmon wine that was really good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the cheapest vodka you can find in a 1.75l jug, and run it through a good charcoal filter. Then add in your fruit. That will save you $.

Now if you just need another hobby, I full understand.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I can't understand why every manufacturer can't make vodka as smooth as Ketel 1. That low end vodka tastes like something that should be run through a bunsen burner,...while the good stuff is so smooth that you have to pay special attention to moderate it or you'll get yourself hammered in short order.

Seems to me like, if somebody is going to go to the trouble to distill spirits, they should learn to do it right. How much extra trouble and expense can it be?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Hobby when a person retires???

I'll make beer or wine. Not interested in making hard stuff. Penalties are pretty stiff.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I can't understand why every manufacturer can't make vodka as smooth as Ketel 1. That low end vodka tastes like something that should be run through a bunsen burner,...while the good stuff is so smooth that you have to pay special attention to moderate it or you'll get yourself hammered in short order.

Seems to me like, if somebody is going to go to the trouble to distill spirits, they should learn to do it right. How much extra trouble and expense can it be?

all in the cuts, lots of lower end stuff leaves in more heads and tails to get more product. thats why good shine cut right will not give you a hangover.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
More like canning green beans than handloading. As for a reason to do it? Because it's been in the family for generations and the stupid [bleep] have the nerve to tell me I cant! Only reason I've ever needed to do something.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
beer is pretty easy to make but you really won't save any money if you're like most of us homebrewers. you better have a schitload of berries to get much volume. wine takes a lot longer than beer. might wanna look into corn liquor. a mechanically inclined guy can make lots of cheap, decent booze and it ain't hard at all or very time consuming. not that i would know anyone who does it or anything,

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew guy that made his own wine, aged 30 days in a plastic water jug. I drank some once, it was pretty rough. The story goes that they took a bunch to the hunting camp one weekend, and wound up taking a kid to the emergency room when his kidneys failed after overindulging in my friend's product.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Auger01

I'd guess that making liquor is kinda like handloading ammo.

You spend just as much, but you take more shots.

You can also be blinded if you screw up either bad enough.

How so?

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If I wanted to make my own hooch I would study under stxhunter. I would be willing to go to Texas only if moonshine and fishing w/ Roger and Ltpowell were guaranteed....w/ a sidetrip to show Bludreaux how to shootgrin.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I made over 50 gallons of beer last year and so far 20 gallons this year . One way I save money is by not buy "kits " I made one batch with a POS mr. beer kit and then started doing all grain . 5 gallons of stout will cost me about 30/35 bucks . 5 gallons = 8 six packs. At the package store one sixer of good beer is 13.00 plus tax . 8 x 13 = 104.00 . So I figure I have paid for my equipment . Any way I look at I'm saving money . That's what I tell my wife for dang sure !

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never had to make my own . I like the clear and ran across some good smooth 130 proof so I got 4 jars .

When i was growing up I worked at a feed store . The old man that owned the store made beer and wine in the back . I helped the old guy pour it up and we had a lot of customers. Some of the wine was great but I never liked the beer although we drank a ton .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An acquaintance of mine distills his own personal use spirits made from what we used to call sweet feed and he calls COB or COB-M (corn, oats barley, molasses). I haven't tried it, but he and others say it's good schitt.

He has a still from Vengeance Stills. They also offer recipes on their site.

Vengeance Stills

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd guess that making liquor is kinda like handloading ammo.

You spend just as much, but you take more shots.

That's prime sigline material right there. laugh

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a bit of homemade wine last night!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter

all in the cuts, lots of lower end stuff leaves in more heads and tails to get more product. thats why good shine cut right will not give you a hangover.

I've heard that before...always figured it was part bullschitt and part true...the key for me seems to be to eat something and drink a few glasses of water before going to bed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Auger01
You can make 200 gallons of wine or beer in Texas each year for personal consumption, but distilling even an ounce is illegal. Some of the pictures in this thread could be considered "evidence" if you catch my drift.

If the local sheriff or his deputies haven't got anything better to do than to bust a half gimpy, broke ass, old man for trying to save a few dollars by brewing and/or distilling some hooch for his personal consumption, they can have at it....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't remember where I bought my still from, but it turns out 190+ fuel with a simple sugar wash. I can get 2 runs out of a 25lb bag, ends up being about $20 gallon of high test.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you can get a license to distill fuel.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,501
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.