Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 73 74
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Mathsr,

I think thats how they found Ishi. He was rummaging thru a garbage heap looking for Milk of Magnesia bottles wasnt he? The blue color supposedly meant something to him. He was using the bottoms for points. You've probably heard that story!

I have read about Ishi! It would be great learning to knapp from someone that did it for a living...or to live. I have a friend that is a Cherokee (a real one, not like Warren who just thinks she is a Cherokee) I talk with from time to time about knapping. He is very good at knapping and enjoys showing people how to get started. Still, it is getting your hands on some stone that is the best teacher.

Glass is relatively easy to find and easy to knapp as it is very consistent. Sky Vodka bottles make a great blue point, but they are kind of limited in size because of the size of the bottle bottom. This is one of the red points that is destined to hang around the neck of the daughter of a friend.
[Linked Image]

Harry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve never found one

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by renegade50
[Linked Image]
The paleo haw river on the upper left is gonna be a center peice for another shadow box eventually.
Some stuff from last spring
Fish tail Dalton on lower left was
a heartbreaker when I picked it up.
Small missisippian point is about 7/8ths of an inch long.
Yet to figure out what the small triangle thing that is to the right of the fish tail dalton
It is a whole peice, really finely knapped all around on both sides.

It's a sharks tooth, petrified sharks teeth can be found by the hundreds in Florida by walking the beach, I have jars full of them.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never found one

You gotta look down.....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never found one

You gotta look down.....

I always wondered how anyone could go through life, especially if they ever even go outdoors sometimes... how they couldn't find one. Even accidentally.

Situational awareness...?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by J23
I have spent the majority of my life in the woods and fields hunting and fishing. Near almost ten years ago, I acquired my little piece of heaven, and have plowed a portion up each year to plant. I have yet to find an arrowhead.

Granted, I'm not actively searching, but I would have thought I would have run across at least one by now. I would love to be able to find some around here. The area where I live is full of Indian history; point of fact, "Lord Dunmore's War" began with the slaughter of Chief Logan's brother just across from the mouth of Yellow Creek on the Ohio at Baker's Tavern along Baker's Bottom, which is only about 15 minutes from my farm. The Little Beaver Creek runs just past my farm, and is alleged to have been Mingo Indian territory.

Surely there has to be a few laying about around these parts; though admittedly, I have no idea "where" to look, and "what" to look for. Anyone want to share some tips?

Most of my better places are sandy ridges and hills near old bodies of water. Make sure the body of water is not manmade. The land inside the loops of sloughs and bayous is often a good place to look. Pay attention when driving around and if you spot a likely looking place try to find the owner and ask permission. Often they will direct you to other places.

lightman
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimy
[Linked Image]
The paleo haw river on the upper left is gonna be a center peice for another shadow box eventually.
Some stuff from last spring
Fish tail Dalton on lower left was
a heartbreaker when I picked it up.
Small missisippian point is about 7/8ths of an inch long.
Yet to figure out what the small triangle thing that is to the right of the fish tail dalton
It is a whole peice, really finely knapped all around on both sides.

It's a sharks tooth, petrified sharks teeth can be found by the hundreds in Florida by walking the beach, I have jars full of them.

It does look like a megladon tooth
HOWEVER: i can assure you it's made from a nodule of gray chert born from the Ste. Genevieve Limestone formation.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord

It does look like a megladon tooth
HOWEVER: i can assure you it's made from a nodule of gray chert born from the Ste. Genevieve Limestone formation.

Yes.

A re-worked drill.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
????

The small speckled little trianglish shaped thingamabob

Definitely not a shark tooth

With the reddish stain on upper right.

Between the Dalton fish tail and lower left of the st Charles dovetail.

Is the peice i am talking about guys

Some type of trinket thing?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Barry, that tool is about 4" long. It's huge.

I tend to think it a preform blank.

The area it was found in was practically an artifact factory. I have found many pieces of unfinished work. I actually think there have been several caches that have been plowed-through. It's not uncommon to find several whole blades, tools, etc all with a 200 sq ft area. Not necessarily in the same day.

The distribution is thick, more so than a "camp scattering" distribution.

This particular site surrounds 1/2 dozen LARGE-ORDER springs, that feed into a small river. The area also contains tools of nomenclature that transcend a very long timeline from late paleo, transitional, and all periods of the archaic.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there is a place, up in what is now the aqua fria national park, on the side of a mountain canyon. there was a settlement there probably about 500or so years ago. the outlines are still there. I found an area off to the side, full of chippings, and some red obsidian. I was told this is not native to arizona, probably came by trade to arizona from up around the great lakes region. I was sitting on some boulders overlooking the canyon around dusk, and looked down right to my fight, and noticed a long cut in one of the boulders. I think that is where the tool guy had been sharpening is spearpoints, and so on.
quite an interesting experience to sit there, where he would have sat so long ago.
found a bunch of this stuff in various places.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
????

The small speckled little trianglish shaped thingamabob

Definitely not a shark tooth

With the reddish stain on upper right.

Between the Dalton fish tail and lower left of the st Charles dovetail.

Is the peice i am talking about guys

Some type of trinket thing?

Same one I'm talking about.

A stone drill that has been resharpened until it was to the current condition, then probably discarded when it couldn't be reworked anymore.

http://www.jimmausartifacts.com/the-stone-drill/

Drills come in many shapes, but the one you have is one of the most common.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lost lake preform??? It is beveled on opposite sides like one
Don't really understand why it is lobbed and notched in basal to the extreme like it is for lost lake type
has the notched and lobbed basal area like the haw river description and oppisite beveling i seen pics of

I'm so confused at times trying to ID points . I am a newb at this anyways.😃😃😃

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
went to my favorite field Monday...getting to be my only field as trespassers have ruined looking for the lawabiding crowd. anyway about 20 steps in I find a 1783 Spanish 2 real coin. unfortunately someone had drilled a small hole in it during its previous life. the only interesting thing I found in a couple of hours looking. I addition to lots of partial tools and some completes, this field has also produced 2 late 1700/early1800 Large cents and one which was cut in half. interesting field.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
went to my favorite field Monday...getting to be my only field as trespassers have ruined looking for the lawabiding crowd. anyway about 20 steps in I find a 1783 Spanish 2 real coin. unfortunately someone had drilled a small hole in it during its previous life. the only interesting thing I found in a couple of hours looking. I addition to lots of partial tools and some completes, this field has also produced 2 late 1700/early1800 Large cents and one which was cut in half. interesting field.

Found a 1916 Indian/ buffalo nickel, bout it for any old coin finds for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a busted scraper and arrowhead base today

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Lost lake preform??? It is beveled on opposite sides like one
Don't really understand why it is lobbed and notched in basal to the extreme like it is for lost lake type
has the notched and lobbed basal area like the haw river description and oppisite beveling i seen pics of

I'm so confused at times trying to ID points . I am a newb at this anyways.😃😃😃

A similar tool here is often refered to as a gouge. Not that that is what it is or was used for.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
30 years ago digging a hole In Detroit at a Chrysler Plant about 4 feet deep, I found a Indian Head penny 1907

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 busted points, an un-notched one, and a broken awl base today

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 73 74

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.