Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Very succinct, Birdwatcher and dead center.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I am not aware of any law in Alaska that mandates schools to be "gun-free zones"..

I believe it comes down from Admin - who are mostly all libs, and are also fearful of lawsuits. But I don't know of any schools here that are NOT deemed "gun free" either.

I could be ignorant, and wrong, however.....

That's officially. In one ( "gun free" - District Policy) elementary school I worked in, we had an unstable parent that concerned us. Same guy that, with his family in the car at McDonalds drive-thru, was messing with his Glock which he had just picked up. Blew his knee-cap off.... HA!

Anyway, one time when he came unglued over something pertaining to the school, and made some threats, I know there was at least one unauthorized piece on campus for a couple weeks during school hours.

I highly suspect the Principal - a former Miss Alaska, and a hunter - also had one.

At an Inservice one time one of the local cops (during the "Cower in Place") segment, claimed they could be there in 2 minutes.

Big deal. How long from incident start to the call being placed? How long, once on site, for the cops to get organized, enter the building, then track down the perp before they can take effective action.

I made myself unpopular with some (including the cop), popular with others (fewer), by pointing out that with a couple pockets full of loose ammo for a 4 or 5 shot bolt action rifle, a half-way competent shooter could reload several times and likely get off 20 rounds or more in that 2 minutes. Someone armed and already in the building could respond much faster. I left it at that, not suggesting an armed security officer or armed teachers as an alternative, but some got it - mostly the ones logical enough to see the cop's "reassurance" as treading on a faulty premise.

And of course, with stripper clips or detachable mags,"high capacity" or not, that fire rate could multiply several times. As has been shown.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Plenty of retired military guys who would be glad to take the job..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
More than enough veterans looking for work and would not need a lot of additional training.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ever run into a fight between three 100Kilo large girls seeking to permanently disfigure each other and will cry rape if you grab them the wrong way or sue you if you take any them to the ground? I work with a lot of very good vets at Sportsman's Warehouse that could handle the situation but its not as easy as a lot of you folks think. Boys are easy-they have been kind of neutered in the modern world. Bois are another thing entirely. They stop if you are louder and more rude than they are to but the only time SROs have to use their tasers round here is with larger girls.

Last edited by kaboku68; 02/20/18.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Just the presence of armed response could be enough deterrent. School shooters don't want to fight their way in.

P

This right here ^^^ is the primary reason for allowing teachers to carry. Just the thought that someone is likely armed will be the primary deterrent for punks that want to shoot up schools.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jnyork
The idea of arming school teachers gets batted around here and elsewhere quite a bit.

I am generally opposed to it.

I have had the acquaintance of quite a few teachers in my life. I have two families of them as neighbors. Of all the ones I have known, I would not want to be within a hundred yards of any of them if they had a firearm in their hands. Not ALL teachers, of course, but MOST of them seem not to have a real firm grip on reality, common sense or good judgement, they seem to be the perfect embodiment of the term "snowflake". I honestly do not believe any amount of training would render them competent with a firearm or endow them with the mental capability to react with it in a dangerous, stressful situation. The fact that 90% of them at least are flaming liberals doesnt help any, yet I know two who are conservative gun nuts of the first order, instructors in Hunter Ed and so forth, both of them are goofy as the day is long and I dont want to be around them either.

If we are going to have armed personnel in our schools, let it be professionals; police officers and trained security people who know what they are doing.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that being a teacher shouldnt defacto forfeit ones 2A rights. Working in a school with kids shouldnt negate your ability to defend yourself and/or family & friends.

If you dont want teachers to be able to choose to carry, then you hsould apply that to the rest of the general public.

You arent one of those "2A for LEO and retired military only" types, right?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
vast majority of school teachers are anti American commies, and would not wear a gun in the first place.

Sam......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I think if they want to, they should be able to. That will weed out the snowflakes. Train the remainder.

P

They are Americans with the Right to Bear Arms.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We just did a whole long thread about what works so well in Israel to protect their kids...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This debate about arming teachers , I think it is a good idea. However , it is obvious that a large percentage of present day teachers will need to be replaced as they are simply not up to the task.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I'm glad Birdwatcher isn't a teacher at my 16 year old Grandson's High School. I think Texas is eventually going to allow teachers to be armed in all school districts.

Last edited by victoro; 02/21/18.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by 6mm250
This debate about arming teachers , I think it is a good idea. However , it is obvious that a large percentage of present day teachers will need to be replaced as they are simply not up to the task.

Mike

I agree but it shouldn't be a job requirement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by victoro

Mike

Why not ?

Mike

Jerry Miculek
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Mike

Why not ?

Mike

The supply of decent, qualified people that are willing to work for peanuts while being hated up on by nearly everyone (does anyone here think teachers actually do a good job? No, of course not), is pretty damn small. Adding another requirement will further reduce the number of people in that sector of the work force. The smartest and brightest folks have already left teaching, or never entered the profession because of pay and public perception of teachers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Mike

Why not ?

Mike

Never! Never use anyone who does not want the duty.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Mike

Why not ?

Mike

Every teacher doesn't own a pistol and some people are scared to death of any firearm. We the individual right to keep and bear arms but we don't have the right to force someone else to keep and bear arms.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Mike

Why not ?

Mike

Never! Never use anyone who does not want the duty.

It's not about making them do anything.

If they do not want the job they are free to go.

If they do not want to do all that the job entails then they need not apply.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I just called the Al office of sen doug jones who said arming the idea of arming teachers is insane. I told tge answering lady that is an insult to teachers and israel as that is just what they do. I asked her if he thot teachers or Isralis are insane and she crawfished. She then asked my zip code and i told her the impt thing was wbo my political party donations go to. That shut her up.

I wish i had known the teachers in Utah are allowed to carry. Wish someone would slap his office with that. 205--731-1500 and ask if he thinks the folks and teachers in Utah are insane. .

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/21/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I'm glad Birdwatcher isn't a teacher at my 16 year old Grandson's High School.

??

Because I expressed concern, based upon real-world examples about 1) AD's 2) leaving the gun somewhere and 3) losing it during a typical altercation?

And then suggested what they do in Israel?

Or maybe its just me I dunno.

If they DO ever let us carry I would prefer to do so openly, in a retention holster.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.