Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Girls are not a "one size fits all" situation.
Generally, they have much smaller hands. So, Kimber 84s and Camillas are on the right track.
Often overall females are more slender, they have a longish neck and generally a less wide face. Think more drop.
Offset is a great help especially on shotguns.
What is often WRONG WRONG WRONG is a short length of pull.
Females have longish limbs compared (generally) to males. (My 5'2" resident female can shoot her 14" LOP M-42 with great ease.)
Carbine Winchesters fit well too, but Marlins ...with a few exceptions have too much lumber in the grip and fore end.
As to barrel length, if the stock fit is correct, a long slim barrel is great.
Two versions of the WBY rifles are available MKV and Vanguard.

The Weatherby MKV is in need of a MD quality review...

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
GB1

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or review the Vanguard since it is about $2000 dollars cheaper. And the Vanguard has a 1 in 10 twist for the .308 the Mark V is 1 in 12.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Uncas,

Women normally also have more sloping shoulders than men, another reason for more drop in the buttstock, and a Monte Carlo comb.

While women's arms and legs do tend to be longer than men's for their height, the difference isn't as pronounced as neck length or shoulder slope. LOP also depends on shoulder width. My resident female is 5'8" tall and has trouble buying shirts with longer enough arms, but her shoulders aren't overly wide, so she feel most comfortable with the standard 13.5" LOP used by most factories. She can shoot a little longer LOP if necessary, but it's not a favorite option.

When Tristar was going to offer a woman's shotgun several years ago, they used the average dimensions from hundreds of women's shotgun stocks ordered through a major company. A prototype fit Eileen very well, and in fact she tried to buy the gun. They promised to sell her a production model, but somehow the project got canned a few months later.

Any factory long gun designed specifically for women is by necessity a compromise, since factories can't offer custom-fit to every woman. Most Americans prefer to buy a rifle or shotgun with a LOP a little too short rather than too long, the opposite of the common European practice of long LOP's on factory rifles, so shooters want 'em shorter can cut some off.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I just shut up and do as I am told.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My daughter is very fond of her Camilla Vanguard in .243. It's accurate and fits her really well.

IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still can't find a Camilla in North Carolina. Mark V or Vanguard. I sure hate to order one sight unseen. If any of you all from NC, VA, or even SC know where one is let me know. Thanks.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What is it about the Savage Lady Hunter you don't like? Assuming it's just barrel length and weight, you can buy lady hunter stocks (short action) from Numerich for less than $100 shipped, right at $87 with promo. You could always get a Savage package rifle you like and drop it in the new stock after you open up the barrel channel.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1476650

For clarity, I ordered one of those stocks for my daughter. It was a nice piece, but no where near the picture they show in the site as far as grain is concerned. Either way, it's nice with a decelerator already installed, esp at that price.

Last edited by tarheelpwr; 02/26/18.
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Tarheel,

I don't own a savage but have always liked them and the ones I have shot were surprisingly accurate. The 20 inch barrel is not a deal killer as that is certainly adequate for anything my daughter will ever do. The Vanguard has a 20" barrel too. Just from the pictures the savage appears it would fit a woman better than most stocks but still lacks the drop of the Weatherby. The list price of the Lady hunter and the Vanguard are about the same. I also have not been able to find the Savage in stores either. Thanks for the info. It is certainly an option.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CWT
I believe it is named after Roy Weatherby's wife, Camilla Weatherby.

Well OK then, that makes it a good idea.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
New to the forums (so hello!) but need to comment.

As Mule Deer has described rifle fit challenges, I have a long neck, sloping shoulders, small hands, small head and I'm 5'4". I adore my Camilla. It fits me perfectly and it is balanced just right to carry in the field with smaller hands. The comb puts my head in the right line for the scope without making weird adjustments and brings scopes back to the necessary eye relief.

It is extremely accurate with Barnes Vortex. As a new big game hunter, my one shot deer was the only one who thought a 20” barrel was a problem. And muzzle blast? Not only is it not noticeable but it’s not like anyone is taking a hundred plus shots a day shooting squirrels.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl
Not only is it not noticeable but it’s not like anyone is taking a hundred plus shots a day shooting squirrels.

Welcome to the campfire.

[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the welcome. Now let's get back to the supposed muzzle blast from a Camilla in the calibers it's chambered for.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What cartridge is your Camilla chambered for?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
uppity...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by CWT
What cartridge is your Camilla chambered for?

6.5 Creedmore. Since this was my first foray into big game, I wanted something that could be used for white tail up to a cow elk. I also wanted something with lots of off the shelf ammunition options including lead-free.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
uppity...

Well, when a woman has to drag the conversation back on topic . . . .

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
SGirl showing some good judgement here, and some useful first hand info. Welcome to the 'Fahr !

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Uncas
SGirl showing some good judgement here, and some useful first hand info. Welcome to the 'Fahr !

Thank you! Got out the s'mores.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl
Originally Posted by jorgeI
uppity...

Well, when a woman has to drag the conversation back on topic . . . .

Thanks for your input,was thinking about a Camilla for my daughter. Right now,she shoots a Remington M700 BDL in 270 with reduced recoil Hornady Ammo.

I'm afraid to step her up to full power loads in a gun that doesn't fit her well. She is 5'8" and can shoot guns built for men,but has to struggle to get her eye behind the scope.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by CWT
. . . for anything my daughter will ever do.

The pistol grip on the Camilla is really well designed for small hands. Nothing else I've tried has come even close.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.