Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you look at the Savage Lady Hunter also?

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I am currently working with a WBY 6.5 Creedmoor in a Range Certified Vanguard with a 24" barrel.

The all day shoot, clean, repeat barrel seasoning went well. I bought three boxes of Federal American Eagle ammo (really just to fire form brass). The last 20 rounds fired including clean and dirty barrel conditioning was a 1.25" group with only a few outside the (shot away... missing) center of the target.

Since then I have tried hand loads with Varget, H4350, H414 Superformance and yesterday IMR 7828. Only the 7828 produced groups over an inch. Bullets tried are 129 ABLR, 127 LRX and 140 Nosler Ballistic tips. My gun shot best with 4350/LRX, but not by much...a 5/8"' five shot group.

My rifle has a nice habit of shooting the first two shots from a clean dry bore into a touching or oval single hole on the target.

What off the shelf ammo have you tried?

What were the results?

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Thanks for your input,was thinking about a Camilla for my daughter. Right now,she shoots a Remington M700 BDL in 270 with reduced recoil Hornady Ammo.

I'm afraid to step her up to full power loads in a gun that doesn't fit her well. She is 5'8" and can shoot guns built for men,but has to struggle to get her eye behind the scope.

Exactly my goal with the Camilla. I tried a couple of my 6'2" husband's rifles in larger calibers (than my squirrel rifle) but they didn't fit well and I was starting to flinch. Plus, I've always struggled with eye relief on more standardized stocks so I end up "crawling up and over" the stock if that makes sense. Now that I know what good rifle fit is, I'm ordering custom cheek pads for my other rifles.

Last edited by SquirrelGirl; 02/27/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SquirrelGirl what scope do you have on your Camilla and what base/rings are you running? Welcome aboard! I have 3 daughters so I have run the gamut on trying to cobble guns to fit them.

PASS IT ON!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Due to various problems the rifle arrived less than a week before heading out for the hunt. Therefore, I used Hornady Amer Whitetail with 129 grn Interlock for break-in and then immediately switched to Barnes Vor-tex as the landowner had requested I use lead-free. The Barnes produced initial groups under an inch and I'm an inexperienced bench shooter. That's as much as I can tell you for now. I have several boxes of additional factory loads to test in warmer weather.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by C_ROY
SquirrelGirl what scope do you have on your Camilla and what base/rings are you running? Welcome aboard! I have 3 daughters so I have run the gamut on trying to cobble guns to fit them.

I have Leopold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm and I'm using Weatherby rings (made by Talley). I don't remember the height except that I followed the recommendations given by Weatherby.

I bought the rifle sight unseen but have no regrets.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by CWT
Did you look at the Savage Lady Hunter also?

Just as you are relating, I had to order sight unseen. All I could do was scour the internet for reviews and pictures. The Camilla appealed more to me aesthetically plus I could find more information about it including others' experiences. Okay, and I grew up not far away, and the history. "Camilla" brings a touch of history where "Lady Hunter" makes me look to see where they added pink. Seriously, would anyone label a rifle "The Male Hunter"? How's that for good rationale? I've spent my entire life making do with products designed for men, and literally have stood in a fly shop waving my credit card commenting that it works as well as the guys. Because products that fit women are rarely stocked in stores, I have to take financial risks and order anyway with sometimes poor results that I re-sell when I can. The Camilla has been a raving success story.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ManyMoons
If you never shouldered a Weatherby style stock you are missing a fine fit....They may look different but that's 'cause they work and I'm sure this ladies is well thought out...I picked up an Ultra Light in /06 to try it and now I own one...Very accurate too.

I love the comment from Mike Schwiebert to other men criticizing the barrel length that "It was designed by women and if you think I'm gonna tell them they got it wrong you all are crazy!!!!!" Only this month did I read Mule Deer's article on rifle fit using Roy Weatherby as an example. He spoke my language.

http://weatherbynation.com/index.php?topic=14918.msg142132#msg142132

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks SG for chiming in on this. Like you my daughter has " made do " with what I had or what was readily available for a number of years. She'll be 21 this year. Shot her first deer at age nine and by age 13 was hunting by her self in her own climbing tree stand. I just want to get her something that she can truly enjoy and be proud of for years to come. My dad gave me a Remington 700 30-06 in 1975 when I was 13 years old. I still have it and it is special when I pick it up to take to the woods.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl
Originally Posted by C_ROY

I have Leopold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm and I'm using Weatherby rings (made by Talley). I don't remember the height except that I followed the recommendations given by Weatherby.

I bought the rifle sight unseen but have no regrets.

I would think using the lowest possible ring/base height is the way to go here. I would love them to come out with a Long Action model. A .270 would be awesome!!! I think for now a 7mm-08 is the best compromise.

PASS IT ON!
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just found the order. The rings are Weatherby's Vanguard Lightweight Scope Mounts in 1" low.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by CWT
Thanks SG for chiming in on this. Like you my daughter has " made do " with what I had or what was readily available for a number of years. She'll be 21 this year. Shot her first deer at age nine and by age 13 was hunting by her self in her own climbing tree stand. I just want to get her something that she can truly enjoy and be proud of for years to come. My dad gave me a Remington 700 30-06 in 1975 when I was 13 years old. I still have it and it is special when I pick it up to take to the woods.

Aw, you're a good and thoughtful dad. I feel the same way about some gifts from my father.

I love beautiful functional tools. I can't imagine using a laminate stock though never say never, right? When I decided to try hunting my husband bought me an 1885 Winchester Low Wall in .17 Mach 2 for squirrels. It doesn't fit me properly but off sticks with extended scope rings it works because, damn, it's gorgeous. He sure set the wrong benchmark now that I'm buying my own rifles. The Camilla doesn't match up but it's still very, very nice. I think she'll treasure it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weatherby Camilla? With a name like that, I had to look it up. I can see why they gave it the name.

They are both ugly humps, and the prospective owner would have been best served with taking better care of what he had previously, so he wouldn't need a new one.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shaman; 02/27/18.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think you need to work on your research skills. We've covered this already. smile

http://wby-tv.com/videos/i-am-camilla/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Squirrelgirl Welcome to the fire. I wonder about the handle until I read your comment about the Win. 1885 and then it became clear. Enjoy your stay and don't let the dips ruffle your feathers. Happy hunting. Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 02/27/18. Reason: spelling

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank you very much! I mostly came to the forums looking for air rifle info but thought I could contribute my personal experience with the Camilla.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl
I think you need to work on your research skills. We've covered this already. smile

http://wby-tv.com/videos/i-am-camilla/

Are you affiliated with Weatherby in any way, shape or form?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" I've spent my entire life making do with products designed for men, and literally have stood in a fly shop waving my credit card commenting that it works as well as the guys. Because products that fit women are rarely stocked in stores, I have to take financial risks and order anyway with sometimes poor results that I re-sell when I can. "
^^^^^^^^^^^
This, more than anything, should tell manufacturers and retailers that just stocking a 'reduced length' long gun is NOT the way to go. Folks, getting more women and kids involved in shooting sports and hunting will guarantee the future for us all. I, for one, applaud Weatherby for doing their due diligence in the creation of a rifle for women.
SquirrelGirl is proof of the pudding.

And welcome, welcome, welcome to the 'fire, SquirrelGirl.

Last edited by Bbear; 02/27/18.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Bbear
This, more than anything, should tell manufacturers and retailers that just stocking a 'reduced length' long gun is NOT the way to go. Folks, getting more women and kids involved in shooting sports and hunting will guarantee the future for us all. I, for one, applaud Weatherby for doing their due diligence in the creation of a rifle for women.
SquirrelGirl is proof of the pudding.

And welcome, welcome, welcome to the 'fire, SquirrelGirl.

Thanks for the welcome and the recognition of the challenges for women in this sport. This past winter I told a hunting pack manufacturer that "adding teal trim did not make a women's pack" and that they obviously hadn't done any research with women. They actually responded that I had a good point and would address it.

Currently, I'm banging my head against the wall trying to find good insulated hunting boots. My husband can walk into a store and try on several options. I have to order and then pay return shipping on those that don't work out. Don't even get me started on clothing. Fortunately, the companies are starting to make the products. The retailers just won't stock for the fastest growing demographic in hunting.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Higbean

Are you affiliated with Weatherby in any way, shape or form?

Oh my gawd, you caught me. They sent me a free hat in one order.

Last edited by SquirrelGirl; 02/28/18.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.