Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by warpig602
Originally Posted by TEM
I don't know if I will EVER buy a gun again that I can't meet face to face. The problem is, for
300 more dollars, I could have bought a BRAND YOU [bleep] gun!!!

Not to rub it in or fault you, but, deal with known entities and this could have been avoided. Everything you needed to know was 2 clicks and 5 seconds away from you.
I cant help you get your money out but a buddy of mine is LE with Iowa City PD, I'll send him a text this morning and see what he can do, will likely end up being a civil matter though.
Lastly, I'll get you the same rifle at cost(920.00), brand new, if you dont want to be completely out. Might be the most expensive CTR you ever bought but it is what it is at this point.

I don't think mail fraud is a civil matter, but for some reason the cops and PO don't like to pursue them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Sorry you were ripped off! I’ve been lucky!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Time to save some money or start a gofundme ...need a guy with a bike chain ..for hire.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Call Breakleg Charley.................

HM

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Call the state parole and the county probation of the address given
If he is on either THEY will knock on his door for you

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clyde Voorhees is listed in the Iowa clerk of Courts. 06 24 1956
3 criminal charges in Louisa County Iowa. The county seat is Wapello. It's just outside of Muscatine Iowa.

There are a huge number of entries for Voorhees with only a few different birth dates. It appears the whole family is doing all kinds of stuff. A majority of the addresses seem to be around Muscatine and far southeast Iowa.

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/DefaultFrame

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 03/06/18.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Long thread.

Am I missing something ?

OP was defrauded by known crook.

OP posted here looking for help.

OP got numerous suggestions but no one willing to confront crook FTF.

Guess I'd be rounding up some pals and make a (real) road trip.

Hidden message here is: always use USPS M.O.s because postal fraud is a real crime. Also they are easy to validate on-line.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kazijoy
Long thread.

Am I missing something ?

OP was defrauded by known crook.

OP posted here looking for help.

OP got numerous suggestions but no one willing to confront crook FTF.

Guess I'd be rounding up some pals and make a (real) road trip.

Hidden message here is: always use USPS M.O.s because postal fraud is a real crime. Also they are easy to validate on-line.

Yeah, you're missing something. USPS MO's get cashed just like a cashier's check. Got any references for someone being prosecuted of postal fraud because they were paid with a USPS MO?

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Just a click away:

Elements of Mail Fraud

When the U.S. Postal Service, or any interstate mail carrier, is used to further a criminal act, it is considered to be mail fraud. In order for an individual to be convicted of mail fraud, certain specific elements must be proven. These include:

The perpetrator must have acted with the intent to scheme or defraud a person or entity.
The scheme must have involved material misstatements or purposeful omissions.
The scheme or fraud resulted in, or would likely have resulted in the loss of property, honest services, or money.
The perpetrator must have used the mail in some manner to further the scheme to defraud.

Mail Fraud Penalties

While mail fraud penalties vary depending on the exact nature of the fraud committed, the penalties are very serious. Fines and restitution are only the beginning when it comes to punishing perpetrators of mail fraud. Other mail fraud penalties may include:

Fines – A single count of mail fraud may result in a fine as high as $250,000. If the fraud involves a financial institution, or federal disaster relief, the fines may be as high as $1 million per occurrence.
Restitution – Perpetrators are commonly ordered to repay the victims for their losses as a result of the fraudulent acts. Restitution is ordered in addition to any other penalties.
Probation – A perpetrator of mail fraud may be ordered to serve one to five years on probation, in addition to fines and restitution. During probation, the perpetrator’s activities are closely monitored.
Imprisonment – Perpetrators of federal mail fraud are often sentenced to spend up to 30 years in prison for each offense. The stiffest penalties apply to mail fraud that involves financial institutions, federal disaster relief programs, or other special victims.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
....and again I ask, "Got any references for someone being prosecuted for postal fraud because they were paid with a USPS MO?" To clarify, have you heard of anyone having been prosecuted for it?

I've been checking with the local postal inspectors and it's about as much of a headache just to deal with them as it is to eat the money.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I refuse to use paypal, can't stand it. If I say I am going to buy something here I send a check. Ship the item when the check clears, not before. If the check gets lost in the mail I send another one. I live remote in AK and a lot of people are unwilling to be patient with the mail system here, or they add on extra charges. I have gotten lucky thus far with deals here on the fire. Kinda sucks when they don't understand though.

It's gotten so that I'll pass up deals (buying and selling) if I can't use Paypal, unless it's something I really need/want. Going to the Post Office and standing in line 1/2 hour to buy a MO and conversely driving across town to the bank to deposit one is such a royal PIA to me that I avoid doing it like the plague. I should think that someone living in a remote corner of the world would doubly embrace that attitude. Let's see- send a MO after enduring the PO hassle, sending a check and waiting for snail mail to deliver it and waiting for it to clear, accepting those payments with much the same hassles- or do it electronically with a couple key strokes and get on with my life, and have my purchase in hand in a couple days versus a couple weeks. No brainer. (And don't come back with the old "Paypal is anti-gun so they won't get my business" argument. If one boycotted every business that was anti-gun or hired anti-gun people one would be left with a pretty small pool to swim in, truth be told. I for one won't cut off my nose to spite my face.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I refuse to use paypal, can't stand it. If I say I am going to buy something here I send a check. Ship the item when the check clears, not before. If the check gets lost in the mail I send another one. I live remote in AK and a lot of people are unwilling to be patient with the mail system here, or they add on extra charges. I have gotten lucky thus far with deals here on the fire. Kinda sucks when they don't understand though.

It's gotten so that I'll pass up deals (buying and selling) if I can't use Paypal, unless it's something I really need/want. Going to the Post Office and standing in line 1/2 hour to buy a MO and conversely driving across town to the bank to deposit one is such a royal PIA to me that I avoid doing it like the plague. I should think that someone living in a remote corner of the world would doubly embrace that attitude. Let's see- send a MO after enduring the PO hassle, sending a check and waiting for snail mail to deliver it and waiting for it to clear, accepting those payments with much the same hassles- or do it electronically with a couple key strokes and get on with my life, and have my purchase in hand in a couple days versus a couple weeks. No brainer. (And don't come back with the old "Paypal is anti-gun so they won't get my business" argument. If one boycotted every business that was anti-gun or hired anti-gun people one would be left with a pretty small pool to swim in, truth be told. I for one won't cut off my nose to spite my face.)

This right here. I don't like paypal either, so I use friends and family, at least they aren't making any money grin I've about quit taking Postal Money orders over $100.00, they are damn near impossible to cash at the post office.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
PayPal is fine ---- just don't get caught doing a gun deal.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
....and again I ask, "Got any references for someone being prosecuted for postal fraud because they were paid with a USPS MO?" To clarify, have you heard of anyone having been prosecuted for it?

I've been checking with the local postal inspectors and it's about as much of a headache just to deal with them as it is to eat the money.

So because I have not heard of it, it cannot happen ?

Recently I had a shipped gun go missing. The USPS inspectors "consulted" with the last sorting center it was scanned into.
Suddenly it was found ! Divine intervention or the fear of God ?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm not arguing with you, I'm just looking for an example of it happening. Spoke with a detective today who seemed to be a nice fellow. Said it could be prosecuted by the FBI and USPS could help but that for the amount it would be a hard deal to get them to do it. USPS is about delivering mail, prosecuting is way down on their list. Lots of folks have input on what "can" be done, very few (so far no one) has given me an example of it happening.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

This right here. I don't like paypal either, so I use friends and family, at least they aren't making any money grin I've about quit taking Postal Money orders over $100.00, they are damn near impossible to cash at the post office.

I thin k I'm correct that using papal goods and services and friends and family is that they charge the seller on goods and services and the sender (buyer) on friends and family. They make theirs either way. I don't have a full account with paypal, only one set up to buy items. I received a warning e-mail from them not long ago that I was in violation of their terms. I had bought and sold some gun parts and such but did not use paypal to pay for any. How did they know?
Rick

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ok add me to the list,he got me in January for a shotgun on "Trapshooters.com" website.
I have bought and sold online for several years with no problems,the guy seemed fine,etc. I just let my guard down.
The main reason I got Taken was because I took the Man for His Word,my fault completely,there are things I could have done before I sent him a Postal Money order,but didn't,his Word was good enough.
Anyway here is the info that I have and was used during his heist.

Nelson Clyde
12 Video Ct.
Iowa city,Iowa 52240-3050
Email: Traveldkk1966gmail.com
Username: Scrrup1001

Hope this helps someone down the road from being taken advantage of.

Greg

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd drive from SC to pay him a "visit" if he had put the screws to me. You should do likewise...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If someone can, somehow, confirm this dillweed's current address, I will happily make the 5-ish hour drive on behalf of those that got taken. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Request: Will those who will only accept paypal please make note of that in your classified adds?
It would save me some problems because I don't and never will use paypal. Thanks.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,854
Posts18,517,634
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.