Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty sure that would work.

Dan
Loon Master
5th degree Black Belt.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Loon Master Dan,

This idea of yours and the whole thread are worthy of an Icelandic saga.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We will see what we see on the journey, no?

Up close inspection of dims gives rise to a problem. Case walls are a bit thick and diameter a bit small. Oops. Will get back on the hunt when this is sorted out. Dang it all. Talking only a few thou for each but...

Loon needs a different tune?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
We will see what we see on the journey, no?

Up close inspection of dims gives rise to a problem. Case walls are a bit thick and diameter a bit small. Oops. Will get back on the hunt when this is sorted out. Dang it all. Talking only a few thou for each but...

Loon needs a different tune?

Inside or outside? I'm hazarding a guess at...................outside?

Squib load to fit it to your chamber? C.O.W. ? The pellet and primer combo someone mentioned above?

I have faith in my fellow denizen of the baser, deplorable thread, that loonyism will triumph...................... for the good of the world.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, we will prevail, let there be no doubt. Neck OD is ~.220-.221, case wall ~.0095-.010. Spec was .224/.007 and the bullet heel is .210. Curious side of this is the mundane nature of the .22 RF belies the narrow scope of dimensional tolerances. Yep, there is some wiggle room, but not to the degree found in more conventional CF brass.

I am..........disturbed.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Cordial conversation with RMC, version 2.0 underway.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, time passes and courses change. RMC can KMA.

Day has been saved by Jimy here on the 'Fire and there is a new dawn on the horizon.

[Linked Image]

This discussion involved a bunch of loonies, but one of my favorite versions was Crossfireoops. I had promised him a supply of the bullets above before he passed and we had a lot of phone time discussing the ins and outs of this endeavor. Whether it flies or not is unknown at present, but in the event it does it will be known as the .22 GTC

Semper Swamp,

Dan

PS: More as this develops. Anyone got any load data for .22 RF rounds? laugh

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...it will be known as the .22 GTC...

That caused my allergies to act up...

Thanks for doing that, Dan.

Back to the subject at hand, as Greg would have wanted, what did you wind up doing to solve the problem(s)?

When you said that O.D. was too small and brass too thick, first thing I thought of was a swage, much like a Lyman "M" die, to expand the case and still provide sufficient neck tension while filling the chamber.

From the pic, it looks as if you neck reamed them? That then begs the questions; Would a Lee-type collet crimp die work and, will they need to be re-sized?

Is RMC out as an option if another looney looks to duplicate this round?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ed, the RMC brass was sufficiently out of spec so as to be unusable. Sent it back and was advised they were shutting down as of 10 Jan, so they have the brass and my cash. Left me with a bad attitude toward the company.

Stuff that just arrived was spot on spec wise and the results are in the picture. There be a few more steps ahead before determining this is a viable endeavor, but on assumption the preliminary tests are successful I will order up some more cases and get to work. Mentioned previously this is an exercise of dimensional details. They aren't all perfectly settled yet but are close enough to advance the project.

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ed, the RMC brass was sufficiently out of spec so as to be unusable. Sent it back and was advised they were shutting down as of 10 Jan, so they have the brass and my cash. Left me with a bad attitude toward the company.

Stuff that just arrived was spot on spec wise and the results are in the picture. There be a few more steps ahead before determining this is a viable endeavor, but on assumption the preliminary tests are successful I will order up some more cases and get to work. Mentioned previously this is an exercise of dimensional details. They aren't all perfectly settled yet but are close enough to advance the project.

I believe that I shall bookmark this and am eagerly awaiting more results.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Crow, I looked at that earlier, thought it over and raised the bar. When all is said and done if I can't shoot some ragged hole groups with this set up I'll be disappointed.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Never doubted the outcome of your project. Just wanted to see a smoking crater.....

Only reason I threw it out was their mention of powder. I never thought of 700X as a potential candidate for reduced loads.

After allowing the acetone to evaporate overnight add the propellant; the kit includes load data for several powders, including 700X and Unique as well as for Hogdon’s Pyrodex P black powder substitute. Now crimp a bullet in place and you’re ready to shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My imagination tells me that WW231, 700X, Bullseye will get a trial. If all else fails I have a supply of 3 fg and 4 fg. laugh

Oddly enough I fiddled with some 3fg in the Sneezer awhile back. Numbers were quite good, particularly the ES. Full case of powder mildly compressed ran 950'ish fps. Cleaning the suppressor was a snap in the dishwasher.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/12/18.

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm thinking your going to need a depriming tool, here some time, we can make one from a 3/16 drill blank., grind it to fit .08 hole. might have to go with 5/32 OD to go thru the sizing die, hell an 1/8 would work as short as it will need be, give it some thought. A simple 7/8-14 bolt cut off with a drilled and reamed hole would work as a holder with a set screw for adjustment.

I got the plague Friday, due to an overactive snot gland, I have snot coming outta my eyes this morning, a rush job due tomorrow, then we can work on something, ideas ?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Jimy, schedule is booked up thru Tuesday, will touch base with you Wed if you're feeling better.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That's fine, I should run otta snot in a day or so, and its 15 degrees out so i won't be fishing this week.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ed, the RMC brass was sufficiently out of spec so as to be unusable. Sent it back and was advised they were shutting down as of 10 Jan, so they have the brass and my cash. Left me with a bad attitude toward the company...

Interesting, as of this morning, RMC's website shows that the company is for sale, but they are still taking orders...

I take it one of our members here stepped up and made the brass for you?

Is there anything else we members can do to assist in this endeavor? Other than raise a glass in a toast to you and your perseverance? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes,another member here from the Fire has pitched in. Brass from RMC was spec'd at .224" OD for the case with a .007" wall thickness. The provided .220//010" which is not compatible with a .210" heel on the bullet, that being fairly close to the norm and perfectly consistent with ammo from Europe which was my metric for the endeavor. US manufactured brass has a wall thickness of .008". The RMC rep I spoke with was named Cody and he told me when the order was returned back in December they were shutting down on 10 Jan.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

This discussion involved a bunch of loonies, but one of my favorite versions was Crossfireoops. I had promised him a supply of the bullets above before he passed and we had a lot of phone time discussing the ins and outs of this endeavor. Whether it flies or not is unknown at present, but in the event it does it will be known as the .22 GTC

Semper Swamp,

Dan

PS: More as this develops. Anyone got any load data for .22 RF rounds? laugh

Quite a fitting memorial. I do hope for success.

Thanks for keeping us all posted.

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,033
Posts18,481,900
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.