Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I would look for a Winchester M70 featherweight or Remington 700 CDL in 30-06. If he already has a .223 and a .243 he is good to go with the fun/plinking guns. Nothing against the 308 or 7mm-08 (which happens to be my personal favorite) but every man should own a 30-06 and graduating middle school and starting high school is the begginning of becoming a man and having to start to make some important decisions on his own. I would recommend the wooden/blued guns because they have some "soul" to them and do not give the impression of a cheap throw away rifle. I have plenty of synthetic stocked rifles but lately have come to appreciate the qualities of walnut and deep bluing.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not typically big on surprises and gift giving, but for this, YOU need to pick it out for him. It makes it 10x better when it comes from you as a gift and a memory he'll never forget. A surprise would be even better. I like the 30-06, pick a classic.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not TOO big... A .470 Nitro Express Double Rifle would fit the bill grin

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by nurse
Any advise on this would be very much appreciated.

Since you asked... grin

I'd consider it an opportunity to bond with him. Explain how proud you are of what he's accomplished, and how much more you know he's capable of. You'd like to recognize his achievements, and do so in a way that should allow you to spend more time together as the years go by.

Then pick it together. Regardless of his size, fit 'n feel is critical. As long as he doesn't want a 710 or some such monstrosity, it'll perform more than well enough. Discuss the chambering: why might he want whatever it is he wants? What advice might you give him about chamberings? What have you learned in your years of hunting & shooting that you'd offer to help him make his choice? Use the same kind of dialog to pick rings & a scope.

He'll never forget receiving this rifle, but he'll also never forget the planning of it, & his interaction with you. IMO, he'll treasure that part far more than the rifle as years go by.

I offer this to you as a kid who received a 788 chambered in .243 Win as a Christmas present when I was 12. It feels like a damned club (even after Karnis worked-over the stock). It didn't fit me then, and really doesn't fit me well now. It wouldn't shoot for [excrement] until I had Mickey Coleman screw a new barrel onto it. But for the rifle being given to me by Dad, I'd never have kept it, much less spent several times its price (or worth) having it worked on.

Dad is my Superhero. I love him dearly, and will treasure his gesture all my days. Still, I'll approach this milestone with my sons, differently than he did.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by nurse
Any advise on this would be very much appreciated.

Since you asked... grin

I'd consider it an opportunity to bond with him. Explain how proud you are of what he's accomplished, and how much more you know he's capable of. You'd like to recognize his achievements, and do so in a way that should allow you to spend more time together as the years go by.

Then pick it together. Regardless of his size, fit 'n feel is critical. As long as he doesn't want a 710 or some such monstrosity, it'll perform more than well enough. Discuss the chambering: why might he want whatever it is he wants? What advice might you give him about chamberings? What have you learned in your years of hunting & shooting that you'd offer to help him make his choice? Use the same kind of dialog to pick rings & a scope.

He'll never forget receiving this rifle, but he'll also never forget the planning of it, & his interaction with you. IMO, he'll treasure that part far more than the rifle as years go by.

I offer this to you as a kid who received a 788 chambered in .243 Win as a Christmas present when I was 12. It feels like a damned club (even after Karnis worked-over the stock). It didn't fit me then, and really doesn't fit me well now. It wouldn't shoot for [excrement] until I had Mickey Coleman screw a new barrel onto it. But for the rifle being given to me by Dad, I'd never have kept it, much less spent several times its price (or worth) having it worked on.

Dad is my Superhero. I love him dearly, and will treasure his gesture all my days. Still, I'll approach this milestone with my sons, differently than he did.

FC

I like the idea of a surprise, but this really is the best advice I've seen so far. It took me several years of shooting regularly to realize just how much the fit of a rifle matters. Letting him shoulder several rifles and choose the one that fits him best is worth more than the surprise in the long run.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As others have said, fitment and handling are extremely important. Go with him to your local gun shop and let him get an idea of what he likes and fits him well. Putting in the effort to go with him and discussing the pros/ cons of what he handles at the shop will add to the overall experience IMO.

Although I love the classic looks of wood and blued actions/ barrels, I have come to appreciate the utility of stainless actions and synthetic stocks especially in the late season hunts when it's snowing. Most kids are not always cognizant of the rifle's position when walking around or stepping over obstacles, or may not be too careful when they put it down. If your son falls in to this category, a synthetic stock may be worth discussing.

FYI, Steyr arms is having a great sale on their remaining Pro Hunters. I have 2 of them- .260 and .30-06- very accurate out of the box with nice triggers and the LOP can be adjusted. http://steyrarms.com/firearms/hunting-rifles/mannlicher-pro-hunter.html. My niece likes the .260. I took her out last season for her first time hunting and she shot her first deer with the .260- a nice little 2 pt mule deer buck.

Regarding Kimbers, I have 2 Montanas (.308 and .280AI). They are easily MOA accurate, great handling, and a joy to carry up and down the mountains hunting elk.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What no 6.5 Creedmoor

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Whelenman
What no 6.5 Creedmoor

I have a custom built 6.5 Creedmoor he can shoot, but no, I would rather a 308/30-06.

-T

Last edited by nurse; 03/19/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't pay attention to what most of these guys are saying. Number one the cartridge I would recommend is the 7-08. My Daughter has 5 rifles and her go to gun is the Tikka compact 7-08. It will take care of most things except a charging Chipmunk. Daughters and Granddaughters rifles are all 7-08 and they love them. You can get it in a Tikka or a Ruger. Mine is a Ruger 77 in 7-08 and it is an awesome shooter. The girls Tikka's are all the compact mdls. which can expan as the person grown larger. I think you can also purchase another stock to replace the compact one from Ruger. We have just done with my Daughters Tikka 7 mag is replace the standard stock with a compact one and installed a couple of Edwards recoil reducers in it. This is incase I win the lottery and we go to New Zealand Red Stag hunting

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The Ruger Gunsite Scout could be a good option too. I’m 5’10, 145 pounds and a more compact rifle definitely fits me better. The scout has a lot of good qualities for a young mans rifle:

-Adjustable LOP system

-Threaded muzzle for a brake (it is a bit of a stout recoiler)

-Compact size makes it nice for getting in and out of the truck and it’s nice to carry

-Detachable mags are nice so he doesn’t have to deal with loose rounds. The 3 rounder fits nearly flush for hunting and the ten rounders kinda have that “tactical” appeal that a 14 year old is gonna be drawn too.

-Good iron sights will improve his marksmanship and be a nice backup

For your budget, you could afford a nice scope (doesn’t have to be long eye relief), a sling and a couple extra mags.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My two cents is that a surprise will be more memorable. I remember vividly the moment I first saw the 760 in 6mm my Dad brought out from his bedroom for Xmas way back when. Very special. (wish it was a 708 or 308 tho!)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Times sure change, I though I was the shiz when I got a Marlin 336 in.35 Remington for my 14th birthday and I know it cost more like $ 140.00 back in 1974. I hope your son knows how fortunate he is!

If you run that $140 through a consumer price index inflation calculator it'll come to about $750 today.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fugg it, buy ‘em a .50 cal.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Seriously, since it’s gonna be a family heirloom for its life most likely, buy a .270.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
P
A lot of suggestions regarding proper fit. The problem is he’s 14. What fits him today will be small for him by next hunting season.

I bought all my sons rifles when they were hunting age (10 years old here in Arizona). I bought one a Tikka Whitetail Hunter (its been 18 years), for the next son I bought an M77 (will never by another Ruger as that gun wouldn’t shoot worth a damn), and most recently I bought a Weatherby vanguard. I’d buy another Tikka or Weatherby as both have proven to be reliable and accurate rifles. I’d also consider an M70. I love the 7-08 will continue to start my kids with that cartridge. It’s big enough to hunt elk and deer, but recoil is very manageable.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't read the entire thread but a take off youth stock can be had cheaply and you can add spacers each year with no problem until he grows into the current stock. This might be pretty quick as he is getting ready for a growth spurt in the next couple of years.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
308Win. Ammo found all over the globe from light to heavy. I think Wby Vanguard is a great buy and an accurate rifle out of the box, especially digesting the 308 Win. Would spend remaining funds on superior glass.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would also put in a vote for a Weatherby Vanguard. I think the expandibility is great as he’ll likely add a few more inches. I’ve always had a thing for 270’s, but I also really like my wife’s 7mm-08. A 6.5 Creedmoore would also probably work really well for him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, he only finishes 8th grade once. Buy him this: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ts-beanland-lightweight-260#Post12733721

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Heck, he only finishes 8th grade once. Buy him this: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ts-beanland-lightweight-260#Post12733721

I wish! His fat, old Dad would like that rifle.

I've got a little time still. He graduates first part of June....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.