Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Something worth trying for halibut or rockfish is a super easy dish I came up with. Mix 1 heaping tablespoon of this [Linked Image] with ~1/4 cup mayo (I prefer veganaise or Costco's avacodo based mayo) and spoon on top of fillets. Bake at 425 until the fillets firm up. Very tasty and simple to make.

That sounds really good, as I'm a big fan of avocado vs regular mayo, not to mention curry. Tried Eileen's(Mule Deers better half) avacado based potato salad recipe(it's in her latest cookbook), and have been hooked since. It's a great sub if you don't care for mayo.

Jeff

GB1

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
I love Hailbut, but mayo and sour cream? Are we 12?

Food snob. grin

Might not be for the more sophisticated palate, but would probably wash down well with a case of bud light. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin

Food snob. grin

Might not be for the more sophisticated palate, but would probably wash down well with a case of bud light. grin

Silver Bullets!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Judman

When I read this I thought what a great way to ruin halibut, as I hardly season it. I’m betting halibut is about like eating salad for us. And no he’s not 12....

You know it's bad when you are walking down the dock in Feb and someone is filleting out a halibut and you turn down 5lbs of fillets.

I can't eat it unseasoned or just plain. There is a food truck in town named Fish N Chicks. They make amazing battered halibut as well as just about everything else. Tempted to send the wife down there to work just to learn the secret.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I only venture to the other side of the island on the days that fish and chicks is open!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After three attempts, I mastered Halibut Olympia.

Preheat 375

Melt butter in bottom of pyrex dish. Put in lots of onions. Cut fresh halibut in 3/4-1" strips. Pat as dry as you can. Put two strips of hali on onions. Salt & Pepper

Cover with a 50-50 mix of Mayo and Sour Creme.

Bake 20 minutes. Pull out, put on lots of grated cheddar cheese. Bake 3 more minutes.

It's really good. My first two attempts I didn't pat dry and cut my pieces too thick resulting in too much halibut and not enough goop.

Tomorrow I will try mixing some hot sauce in the the mayo/sour cream mixture. I've got a good hunk of halibut in fridge I am working on.

I did some guessing at the missing data and took the advice provided by Calvin....it's spectacular!!!!!

Here is what I did

preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
melt 4 tablespoons butter in 2 1/2 quart baking dish

Finely slice (1/16" thick) one medium sweet onion and bisect to not have rings but 1/4 circles and add to melted butter

Cut fish (one pound of Halibut in this case) to strips approximately 1/2" X 1/2" by the length of the fillet but not longer than the baking dish.....use this fish to cover the onion.

NOTE: The fish to be thoroughly patted dry with paper towels....I destroyed a dozen paper towel sheets doing this.....dry is good in this case

Mix 2/3 cup sour cream and 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp dill seed, 1 tsp dill weed and 1/2 tsp black pepper fine grind....add to the baking dish thoroughly covering the fish.

Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees uncovered

remove from the oven and add 6 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese and bake another three minutes.

It's now dinner time.....if you don't like this see a doctor as there's something radically wrong with your taste buds.

Last edited by vapodog; 03/18/18.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
tag

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by vapodog

Preheat 375

Melt butter in bottom of pyrex dish. Put in lots of onions. Cut fresh halibut in 3/4-1" strips. Pat as dry as you can. Put two strips of hali on onions. Salt & Pepper

Bake 20 minutes. Pull out, put on lots of grated cheddar cheese. Bake 3 more minutes.

It's really good. My first two attempts I didn't pat dry and cut my pieces too thick resulting in too much halibut and not enough goop.

Tomorrow I will try mixing some hot sauce in the the mayo/sour cream mixture. I've got a good hunk of halibut in fridge I am working on.

I did some guessing at the missing data and took the advice provided by Calvin....it's spectacular!!!!!

Here is what I did

Finely slice (1/16" thick) one medium sweet onion and bisect to not have rings but 1/4 circles and add to melted butter

Cut fish (one pound of Halibut in this case) to strips approximately 1/2" X 1/2" by the length of the fillet but not longer than the baking dish.....use this fish to cover the onion.

NOTE: The fish to be thoroughly patted dry with paper towels....I destroyed a dozen paper towel sheets doing this.....dry is good in this case

Mix 2/3 cup sour cream and 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp dill seed, 1 tsp dill weed and 1/2 tsp black pepper fine grind....add to the baking dish thoroughly covering the fish.

remove from the oven and add 6 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese and bake another three minutes.

It's now dinner time.....if you don't like this see a doctor as there's something radically wrong with your taste buds.

I'm glad someone appreciates sour cream and mayo. grin

I put the charter boat in the water yesterday for some harvesting. Since they shut us down for commercial trolling, it's full harvest mode till charter season for me. Going to prospect a bunch of new halibut spots I've been wanting to fish for years. It'll be fresh king, halibut, spot prawns, dungie crab, rockfish, lingcod, and yellow eye for the next few unemployed months I have.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Next up: Breaded Yellow Eye Baja Tacos w/ homemade tortillas. We made it years ago with a jalapeno sauce, and it was amazing. Give me a week. I'll take pictures this time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog

Preheat 375

Here is what I did

I love cheddar, but smoked provolone could be killer here..

I live in a dairy state, may need some help with the Halibut though.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
30 minutes sounds WAY too long. Total thickness in inches times 8 to 10 minutes per inch maximum.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I found that the mayo/sour cream mixture really throws off traditional cooking times if you heap enough of it on. It was still basically raw when I thought it should be done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
30 minutes sounds WAY too long. Total thickness in inches times 8 to 10 minutes per inch maximum.

It is what it is.....30 minutes with two cups of white stuff covering it...but since I've cut that to 1.5 cups of total white stuff.....possibly the 30 minutes should be reduced but not by much!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm glad someone appreciates sour cream and mayo. grin

I use a very similar sour cream and mayo sauce for pickled pike and other fish.....it's outstanding as well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I emailed this thread to a friend that replied he uses a similar recipe with Italian dressing and salmon.....now that's gotta be the bees knees!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Caramelize that onion ! And change type of onion for a different spin....we call it " dawns butt chow " cause she gave us the recipe years ago ...a touch of lemon to ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Caramelize that onion ! And change type of onion for a different spin....we call it " dawns butt chow " cause she gave us the recipe years ago ...a touch of lemon to ...

I just made this with Pollock instead of Halibut....It's a lot cheaper...($2/lb vs $26/lb)....and added 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice to the fish....same onion (vidalia) but not caramelized....

HELLUVA dish....excellent....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Calvin and vapodog,

Thanks for the great recipe! Wife and daughter are out of town on a little spring break trip and they probably think old dad and brother are starving... Not!

I made a dish of Halibut Olympia as recommended here and it was delicious to say the least. I made a second dish adding mild diced green chiles over the sweet onions, switched out chipotle mayo for the olive oil mayo, and also switched a sprinkling of ground cumin for the dill weed. Cheese was still added on top followed by some crumbled Ritz crackers! Probably ought to call it Halibut de Cabo instead! My son is a kind of picky eater but he actually liked the latter one better... suprised me for sure.

I suspect they will be even better tonight as leftovers. Mouth watering!

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice! I've been in slay mode here, and have put 10 kings and a 50lb halibut in the boat this last week. Fresh halibut and king in the freezer makes me a happy guy.

I've been keeping copper rockfish too as I can pretty much drop the downriggers down, and catch on demand. I cut into strips, dunk in egg, and roll in ritz. Holy crap is it good when done fresh.

Going to blow the next week, and then its off to Wrangell for two weeks of intense boat work. Replacing four planks and a deck beam on the Glory. As well as some recorking and refastening. Better not forget to bring my wallet!

Anybody want to take a boat ride to Wrangell? Trip of a lifetime.. haha

Last edited by Calvin; 04/05/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gosh, I'd give anything for fresh fish. I've got 600+ pounds of red meat in fridge but I miss fresh fish badly....

Jealous here buddy!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,928
Posts18,479,870
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.