-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32
S
S
This is my first post here. I stumbled across this topic in a web search and it caught my attention.

While I was reading this thread, I wondered if the full length die and shell plate, linked below, would fit the bill? The shell plate doesn't have a hole in the base, but that could be remedied with a drill press or lathe. Then you could use a standard press and a universal decapping die to deprime and full length size if needed with the included die. I don't see that priming with a standard hand priming tool would be that hard. Get a .25 ACP shell holder and go to town. The .25 ACP has same rim thickness as the 22lr and 0.024 rim diameter difference.

http://www.brassworldeshop.com/sharpshooterresizingdiefor22lr22longand22shortwithshellholder.aspx

My next question is, have you thought about trying Universal Clays as a powder?

I've been thinking about a project just like this. I'm thinking about using my 77/22 as a donor rifle and getting a second bolt for it to convert to centerfire. Just change bolts to switch back and forth. Maybe a Ruger American Rimfire and rework the firing pin to centerfire. Again just change the bolt to shoot the ammo you want.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Welcome to the 'Fire, shiwarlock!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome.

Lot's of good people here on the fire. Put your cast iron underwear on over your thick skin and enjoy the ride.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I did consider U. Clays and have a fair supply, just haven't walked down that path yet.

As far as the dies go, a fella might get some mileage out of the SS dies, but there are some things to ponder when doing this exercise. One of them are the constraints posed by heeled bullet dims. Not clear to me what specs the SS dies use and at this point I'm certain there are some differences between match grade and standard production, and that manufactured here in the US versus imported brands.

I'll be plinkin' a bit this afternoon and find out how it fares on the 50 yard line.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
IIRC Hodgdon Lil Gun is used in some commercial rimfires.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Seems counterintuitive to me but will give it a try.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Nah, but if it makes you feel better, make some jackets out of 22 cases. On the left is a 43 gr. .224 bullet made from a 22LR case. Trimmed to approx. 0.6 of an inch (8 grains weight). The rest is yer led. That should assuage the guilt.

[Linked Image]

My dad shot either cast bullets or bullets similar to what Steve is showing during WW II. I think his folks, mother and father shot cast bullets during the 20's and 30's, and my great grandfather and great grandmother shot only cast in their muzzle loader(s). (He got his thumb shot off at Gettysburg.)

I'm not sure of the cartridge as dad upgraded to a 222 in 722 sometime after the war. But I believe he was shooting a 218 Bee, but it may have been another?? Dad did not care much for lever rifles, I'm not sure why, but he really liked that 222. It was only much later when a few Model 92's came up for sale did dad ever have lever rifles again.

I cast for almost all the cartridges I shoot, including 22. Although I don't have a Hornet, I find a 223 can be loaded down fairly well with acceptable results. I have not measured the velocity of my loads, but use loads from RCBS cast bullet and Lyman cast bullet manuals. I use GC's on mine, but after the weather gets better, I may try doing as MD did and shoot as cast, w/o GC.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, we wandered into the third round today with some interesting results. Per the previous efforts a couple rounds of regular RF ammo was fired to foul the bore and verify zero, this time at 50 yards. Double bag rest, two shooters this time under sunny skies with a light breeze, temps in the high 60s to low 70s. Groups were of 5 shots each with a minor deviation which will be noted.

Fouling round fired with Wolf MT and Norma TAC, the Wolf shooting a somewhat better group. Avg 1063 fps, ES 34.

[Linked Image]

Following that was a group fired with .9 grain Red Dot, WW SPP, and averaging 1031 fps, ES 25 and Sd of 11. The stats do not include an oddball that left a bit slow at 915 fps and was the low left hole. Have no idea what went astray there, but stuff happens.

[Linked Image]

Next up was a string of .8 grain 700X. Avg 953, ES 54, Sd21.

[Linked Image]

Color me underwhelmed..........

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Next to last round of CF ammo today was a .9 grain charge of Bullseye which averaged 1000 fps, ES 58, Sd of 22.

[Linked Image]

Odd left overs caused me to chuckle. Two rounds with 1.0 grain of Red Dot, Avg 1068 fps, and broke the sound barrier with the second round....and burped from the primer. First time in my experience to see smoke emanating from both ends of a barrel.

[Linked Image]

Checked the barrel with Wolf and Tac on the way out, no significant change in precision.

[Linked Image]

The barrel cleaned without trace of leading and with only two patches. I have reached a point where the need for a sizing die is becoming apparent. One round fell apart during the loading process and I suspect there might be a relationship between that and random flyers that presented today. On another front, I have three pieces of brass that will no longer hold a primer. I suspect my assault with the primer pocket uniformer may have had influence on this but am not certain about that. Several cases indicate faint neck tension as well. I suspect the next firing cycle will be illuminating.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Case on the bottom is the one that burped.

[Linked Image]

If you look closely you will see a slight swelling forward of the web. Case walls are ballpark .008" in thickness with very minor variance. Bullet heel diameter is .208"-.210" with a preponderance hovering at .210". It is entirely possible that a slight increase of case wall thickness with a corresponding smaller diameter heel would address this favorably, but that would be speculation on my part.

[Linked Image]

That is all for now.

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I love speculation.

Keep at it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hell, Dan I wouldn't put it past us missing the primer diameter a couple tenths, while setting stuff up, a one tenth, off set on a lathe gives you twice that on a diameter.
A half a thousands is easy to come and go, lets see how the next batch runs for consistency before we worry about the consistency of the material.

I could be the error we are seeing, I need to run of a batch with no changes in offsets, then we can end the speculation and start fixin stuff!

We are close, and close is good !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Very close indeed and thank you for that!

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
... a slight increase of case wall thickness with a corresponding smaller diameter heel would address this favorably....

Closer to an "Everlasting" case, no? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nah, closer to American production specs. The specs used for the brass production originated from Wolf MT dims. They do it different over in Yurp...shoots better too. Was trying to mimic their methods. Haven't decided yet if that was good thinking or not....lemme pop some more caps and I'll get back to ya! laugh

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bottle caps or primers? shocked grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes. Absolutely! -laffin'-

Think I'll shoot the next series in the dark just to see how the IR guidance system works. I do love my PGM's. smile

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think you should set up the next series of tests with a live remote feed to us here on the 'fire, set up so we can take turns doing the shooting with our "enter" buttons.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone shooting this rig is such fashion will have to have proof of adult supervision. grin

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Will a note from my Mom suffice?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,000
Posts18,500,029
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.