Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by renegade50
Since we are dwelling in the past.....
Lincoln and Davis both suspended habeas corpus during
the civil war at times and held people in confinement with
flimsy reasons.
And many held the veiw on both sides their leaders were tyrants.

I suspect, rather strongly, that kind of stuff has been going on for a very long time. Probably since the beginning of time.

I really don't lose sleep over gitmo or rendition matters either.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Nanking........

Hey bro; post some pics if that $200 a night fish bait you eat.

Don't eat things that still twitch in the stomach after ya chew em up.
Seen plenty of Jules Verne 20,000 leagues under the sea things, running riser and blow out stacks up from
the ocean floor to know I didn't want to partake in them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Very interesting detailed information at the link below with most of it I've never heard before on the Axis POWs and POW camps located in the USA, what went on and how they were run.

A couple of the things that really surprised me were that regular military and POW officers were paid via canteen vouchers, the officers pay increased according to rank, The other thing was a problem of unabashed racism and contempt between the different country's POWs held in the same camps and even between different branches of the same country's military.

http://www.militarymuseum.org/japanese%20prisoners%20of%20war%20in%20america.pdf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another example of the U.S.'s not-so-good record of respecting cultural differences and civil rights. It was wrong to single out the Japanese-American CITIZENS and send them to concentration camps simply because of their Japanese ancestry. Many (2/3 nisei) were American-born CITIZENS.

The anti-Japanese hatred and hostility got carried away in punishing ALL Japanese Americans, many of whom had never even been to Japan. Prejudice, racism, and rabid hysteria, along with presidential endorsement, prevailed. Lots of fools rushed in and made rash decisions.

Too bad the "dangerous enemy aliens" had to wait 40 years to get a formal apology.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
True James, but these were Americans not Japs. It cracks me when a Hispanic born here says they're Mexican. I ask them what part of Mexico were you born. I Remind them they're American.

God love you Sir.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
True James, but these were Americans not Japs. It cracks me when a Hispanic born here says they're Mexican. I ask them what part of Mexico were you born. I Remind them they're American.

And as I posted previously, the Japanese-Americans were not assimilating at all or hardly. Coupled with the fact most were not US Citizens (albeit legal immigrants), that whole sad affair needs to be evaluated IN THE CONTEXT OF THE TIMES, taking into account the already established record of the Japanese in China.

Had 2 great uncles that were pows to the Japanese. Uncle Walt and Uncle Harry. Uncle Harry was never the same (read bat [bleep] crazy) after watching his friends and comrades beheaded by sword for no reason. Uncle Harry was not completely well adjusted either after his experiences.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

God love you Sir.

It’s not that simple or we wouldn’t need bilingual teachers in California, Texas and Florida.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Wheres that like button wink

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
"Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere"...

In others words our country has limited resources.
So we will just conquer and exploit your country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HitnRun

God love you Sir.

It’s not that simple or we wouldn’t need bilingual teachers in California, Texas and Florida.

Need? We need?

No. They need. If they had to pay for it they'd learn.

IC B3

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I would suggest that the Hispanics you speak of are not Americans. They are merely United States citizens. There is a difference. No one who is truly an American would ever suggest that they are anything else.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

. The Japanese committed so many atrocities as a few have mentioned here and yes we did strafe survivors in the water, but compared to what the Japs did, it pales in comparison and they did it from the start. The Rape of Nanking comes to mind and as early as June of 1942 when they took many of the downed Aviators from Midway, beat them, tied them to weights and threw them over the side to drown. Lastly, the Japanese to this day, have NEVER apologized for WWII.

Let's face it, atrocities in war have been committed by every nationality, including Americans. My wife's grandma watched as some of her classmates, most 10-12 years of age, were strafed and killed by US fighter planes while tending to crops in the countryside near Mt. Fuji. Absolutely zero value as a tactical target, but they did it. War crime? You tell me.

Some, like the Japanese, however, were decidedly ruthless, methodical and downright sinister about it, and for that they should have paid dearly. I don't think anyone questions that, What so many of them did would turn a man's stomach. But then, the Nazis were no slouches either. I guess at times it becomes pointless, trying to nail down a 'winner' in the 'who committed the most/worst war crimes', though Japan is always right up there at the top of the list. Bad [bleep], war is.

As far as your 'never apologized for the war' comment: not entirely accurate, it appears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

There is an ongoing controversy regarding the way these statements are categorized, that being the question whether they are formal apologies or general statements of remorse, each of which carry a different level of responsibility and recognition.

I'll stand by my no formal apology statement (above taken from your link). As to the strafing of civilians tending to crops, definitively pushing the war crimes envelope, then again so was Dresden, but once again, the US did not start the war on civilians, the Germans and japanese did and NOBODY, but NOBODY (not even the Nazi death camps) committed the level of PERSONAL atrocities the japanese did, from the very start of the war.

sorry jorge, i don't think you are entirely correct.
it is my understanding that churchhill started the attacks on berlin, hitler responded after the british hit berlin a number of times by ordering the attacks on london.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by acy

I would suggest that the Hispanics you speak of are not Americans. They are merely United States citizens. There is a difference. No one who is truly an American would ever suggest that they are anything else.

i dislike hypens. i called up a radio guy once that kept saying hispanic americans.
i commented it got really difficult with my half sisters kids.
How so"
well, that would be croat/slavic/spanish/mexican/polish jew/gila indian.
it gets to be a mouthful.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

God love you Sir.

well sometimes it's a little difficult. My aunt sarah, my adopted aunt so to speak, real aunt to my half sister, was in her 80's. I being stupid asked her one day if she was a U.S. citizen? She politely said, that is really a dumbazz question, ronnie, why do you ask? I said just curious. She said she was, but she didn't rightly know where she was born. What? Her answer was when you are born in the back of a buckboard wagon headed north somewhere south of tucson, they didn't have big signs out in territorial days welcome to america. That kind of shut me up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

sorry jorge, i don't think you are entirely correct.
it is my understanding that churchhill started the attacks on berlin, hitler responded after the british hit berlin a number of times by ordering the attacks on london.

Sort of. The RAF bombed Tempelhof airport on 25 Aug 1940. How accurate they were I have no idea but the airport was the target not Berlin the city. On 7 Sept the Germans dropped on London with the city as the target. The Germans had already bombed the city of Rotterdam as a general target so not a far reach for them.

After that the gloves were off for all hands. We (the US) bombed "military targets" but daylight precision raids were anything but so we certainly dropped a fair amount in cities.

Certainly London bore the brunt of early raids as you can see - http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

Very interesting detailed information at the link below with most of it I've never heard before on the Axis POWs and POW camps located in the USA, what went on and how they were run.

A couple of the things that really surprised me were that regular military and POW officers were paid via canteen vouchers, the officers pay increased according to rank, The other thing was a problem of unabashed racism and contempt between the different country's POWs held in the same camps and even between different branches of the same country's military.

http://www.militarymuseum.org/japanese%20prisoners%20of%20war%20in%20america.pdf

That was an excellent read. Quote from the first Japanese POW captured right after the Pearl Harbor attack:

'The key to it all, Sakamaki concluded, was the concept of democracy. "I learned it as a prisoner. It was the best education of my life." '

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There was a German /Italian internment camp right outside Laredo TX in Crystal City called Crystal city camp and my mom said that on the way out to the ranch my grandfather would pull over in front of the camp and they would listen to all the accordions playing for a while before moving on..

Lucio Vidaurri III

" It's the nut behind the butt that makes the difference"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KC
The same thing happened in Colorado.

WWII Japanese Internment Camp, Granada, CO

I think maybe the best known camp was in California. I think there was a book published about that camp.

Manzanar

This is why the 2nd Amendment is important. Don't think that it can't happen again and this time to you.

Manzanar is right off of Rt 395 coming up thru eastern CA...I stopped of the side of the road to catch some sleep late
one night, and woke up at 6AM.... old 395 runs parallel to new 395... two lane hwy only...I had pulled onto old 395 to catch
a few winks.. noticed the camp in the early morning light...

didn't know what it was, but knew it was military of some sort growing up as a military dependent...

turned out to be Manzanar. I probably spent 3 or 4 hours just walking the grounds of it.

it was almost like you could feel the ghosts that the war left there...

had the same feelings when I use to walk the airfields and left over barracks/Nissen Huts
still standing at some of the old WW 2 bases there in England in my youth...

I know someone who spent his youth there during WW 2....him being 16 when the war ended...

in 1948 he went on to serve in the new USAF......

Not a monument like Manzanar.. but there is also what remains of a Internment Camp at Tule Lake CA.
it was a much smaller camp.. but it is still like you can feel the ghosts
from WW 2, still walking those grounds....

I've had the pleasure to know and meet Japanese, Neisei or first generation, who were interned at those camps
during WW2.....

Friends of the family were interned at Camp Savage in MN during the War. The volunteered and translated
Japanese for the Pys Ops unit at Ft Snelling during the war....there were transported daily back and forth
between Camp Savage and Ft Snelling....

in 1944, they were allowed to rent an 'apartment' in a house in St Paul.. it was a small farm house, and the owners
were German Immigrants from after WW1.. who also worked at Ft Snelling translating stuff from and into German
for the Pys Ops unit...

in the early 80s, they were back in MN for the first time since the war ended....we had them as guests at our
house.... the last day before they flew home to California, they asked a 'special favor' of me....

to take them down to what had been Camp Savage... I didn't know where it was, but they certainly did, despite
suburbia growing out that way..... and then they asked me to take them down Old Shakopee Rd, which was the old
road from the Dan Patch Bridge over the MN River, to Ft Snelling, which is decommissioned, but what is the Mpls/St.Paul
airport use to be a part of it...

Much of the old base is still standing altho boarded up... large old brick buildings...

They immediately found the building they use to work in, right off the parade field....

They had me take a few pictures of them standing in front of that building.. which was kinda
hard with all the tears of remembering they were experiencing...

Their visit was a touching memory I'll never forget, that's for darn sure....

That picture I took for them..they had enlarged and framed.....they sent a picture of it to me,
along with right next to it, was a picture of the same size, where they were standing in the same spot
in 1945, when they were released from their internment and service to the US Military.. and allowed to
return home to California.. Los Angeles...40 years earlier...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm coming to this thread WAY late. But I'll just say this....

Following the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japs, locking up the japs was the right move. It's about winning the war, not being nice. Doing the same to Muzzy's after 9-1-1 would have been a smart move, also. And it would have prevented a number of follow-up terrorist attacks by muslims.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I recently read that 120,000 total Japanese Americans were interned in WWII. How many of these do you think were tried for espionage?

Despite rigorous investigations by the feds, the answer is...not one!

10 people were convicted of spying for Japan in WWII. All 10 were Caucasians.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,430
Posts18,507,540
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.