Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southtexas
Wow

Yes, it's simply amazing grin

A simple search of case head separation of the .30-06, 6.5 NATO, .270, and so on should lead Mr. Walker to a great number of case head separation on non-belted cases.

AR (6.5)
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/5_56_NATO__andamp_gt___223_Case_Head_Separation/42-325057/

.30-06
http://www.nationalgunforum.com/handloading-reloading/45739-case-head-separations.html

Another search would be "images of case-head separation." In this case, there are plenty of images of belt-less cases of all kinds.

Last edited by Ray; 03/21/18.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Hawk1 is correct once a false shoulder is established the head space is correct and no ring in front of the case head.

The shoulder is still .020 or more farther back than the chamber..

No it isn't. One creates the shoulder forward and headspaces off of it; thats the whole point of necking up: you create headspace at the neck/shoulder junction, datum or whatever turns your crank to call it. BEFORE YOU EVER [bleep] FIRE A SHOT.
Its mechanical forming, instead of fireforming. Its pretty obvious you can do it (mechanically re-form) after you fireform with die set up; its amazing you cant fathom how THE SAME concept of headspace ceases to exist or dwells in a vacuum of your ignorance!

Nothing moves forward and the case head doesnt slam back upon firing with positive case shoulder headspacing (belted, rimmed, semi-rim or rimless) DOES NOT MATTER! Anything swelling to fit moves outward to the chamber upon firing, not fore and aft, and the belt, rim or previous shoulder (even your .020 short one) is negated in deference to it......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by HawkI

Hawk1 is correct once a false shoulder is established the head space is correct and no ring in front of the case head.

No it isn't. One creates the shoulder forward and headspaces off of it; thats the whole point of necking up: you create headspace at the neck/shoulder junction, datum or whatever turns your crank to call it. BEFORE YOU EVER [bleep] FIRE A SHOT.
Its mechanical forming, instead of fireforming. Its pretty obvious you can do it (mechanically re-form) after you fireform with die set up; its amazing you cant fathom how THE SAME concept of headspace ceases to exist or dwells in a vacuum of your ignorance!

Nothing moves forward and the case head doesnt slam back upon firing with positive case shoulder headspacing (belted, rimmed, semi-rim or rimless) DOES NOT MATTER! Anything swelling to fit moves outward to the chamber upon firing, not fore and aft, and the belt, rim or previous shoulder (even your .020 short one) is negated in deference to it......

Doesnt change the fact that the straight section to shoulder junction is still .020 back. By making a false shoulder and pushing the case farther toward the bolt face you likely will open this clearance even more. Its amazing you cant wrap your mind around this!

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
John is correct.

You're a [bleep] waste of time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Nothing moves forward and the case head doesnt slam back upon firing with positive case shoulder headspacing (belted, rimmed, semi-rim or rimless) DOES NOT MATTER! Anything swelling to fit moves outward9 to the chamber upon firing, not fore and aft, and the belt, rim or previous shoulder (even your .020 short one) is negated in deference to it......

Where do you suppose that material comes from?

Last edited by BWalker; 03/22/18.
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Winchester's 307 and 356 didn't fare too well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Winchester's 307 and 356 didn't fare too well.

The .375 Win didn't either for that matter.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nothing moves forward and the case head doesnt slam back upon firing with positive case shoulder headspacing (belted, rimmed, semi-rim or rimless) DOES NOT MATTER! Anything swelling to fit moves outward9 to the chamber upon firing, not fore and aft, and the belt, rim or previous shoulder (even your .020 short one) is negated in deference to it......

Where do you suppose that material comes from?

Dam sure doesn’t come from the area of case head separation.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Fails: 22 Jet, 25/30/32 Rem, 32 and 35 Win Self Loader, 30/03, 6mm Lee/Navy, 30 Newton, 22 Savage HP, 219 Zipper, 219 Donaldson Wasp, 300 and 358 Norma mag, most of the Remington Ultra Mags, and 338/06 A-Square come immediately to mind. I had to run downstairs and look through the safes as whatever guns I have was probably a marketing mistake.
Hat's off sir-you covered all the ones I was thinking of.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
has anyone mentioned the 17 HM2?

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Virgin case.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BWalker; 03/25/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Once fired case from same gun.

[Linked Image]

Ring on once fired case.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
So, how far does the shoulder move forward when you fireform a standard case to an Ackley Improved case?

Do those AI cases suffer premature case separation?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My AI guns dont do this. Only belted mags. This because standard rounds are set uo to headspace on the shoukder from the get go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The real problem is factory chambers are long.

This is the problem.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My AI guns dont do this. Only belted mags. This because standard rounds are set uo to headspace on the shoukder from the get go.

Which is the same effect that a false shoulder has.

Are you this OCD about everything? Give it a rest. And go find something productive to preach/obsess about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Are you this OCD about everything? Give it a rest. And go find something productive to preach/obsess about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ben, I get similar results to what you've shown with my 350 Rem. Mag. If I were to fire form new cases with a false shoulder it is a matter of speculation how the brass would flow to fit the chamber. Does it first stretch near the base and pile up in the shoulder, or does the shoulder unfold first to fill out the chamber. That speculation is above my pay grade, but the real problem is the chamber.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by southtexas

OK, for the umpteenth time...A false shoulder will not prevent this. And its pretty easy to see why...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Youper
Ben, I get similar results to what you've shown with my 350 Rem. Mag. If I were to fire form new cases with a false shoulder it is a matter of speculation how the brass would flow to fit the chamber. Does it first stretch near the base and pile up in the shoulder, or does the shoulder unfold first to fill out the chamber. That speculation is above my pay grade, but the real problem is the chamber.

I have done the false shoulder trick. The results are the same.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 450yukon, 264mag, 19 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.