-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recall taking the sugar cube at age 5 or 6 in 1965 or 1966. Didn’t know anybody that had it, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB4

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don’t have the t-shirt, but.....

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took the sugar cube too. It was a dark pink if I remember right. They had a big cookie sheet or tray full of them.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Granddad got when he was 13 back around 1912. His legs never developed right and he had to walk with a cane the rest of his life. His first Granddaughter/grandchild (my cousin) got it and died from complications of pneumonia when she was 7. Her Mother (my aunt) just passed away last year at the age of 95. It was at her funeral where I heard all the details of my cousin's Illness and how she had to be isolated in an iron lung for a long time about 100 miles from home. This had to be terrifying for both my cousin and Aunt & Uncle. This was back in the 40's about 10 years before my time. I do remember the sugar cubes.

3825 24336
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
It was pink, I had forgotten that. I had forgotten about the dimes too.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I remember, I guess it was the early 1960s or maybe very late 1950s, going to the local Alabama National Guard Armory one Sunday afternoon and getting it on a sugar cube. The vaccine was a pink liquid that had been put on the sugar cube. I do not recall knowing anyone that had polio, but it seems like everyone was very concerned about it.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Polio was pretty well whooped in the US by the time I was born.

Mom has told me stories though. She said they always shut down the local swimming pool with the first polio case of the year. She volunteered at the local hospital and said they’d have rows of iron lungs that’d take up a whole floor.

Amazing how far we’ve come in such a short span.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I got both the shot and the sugar cube. I used to work with a guy who had it. He was in his late 40's when I knew him and he still walked with a limp.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My mother and I both had it. I ended up with a slightly shorter left leg, left foot 1/2 shoe size smaller and a curved spine. Still played sports, hunted the mountains, worked in the trades and have had an active life.

As a result of tearing up my left knee a couple of years back I now wear a knee brace at times. The clinic I go to has a number of polio patients coming in to get their braces adjusted. The technology today has come along ways from what it used to be.

The clinician that I work with has tried unsuccessfully to get me to wear a leg brace. He says that people that have had polio are among the most stubborn, uncomplaining people he has met. They just get going and do not take you cannot do that for an answer.

Hugh
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
All but eliminating polio and smallpox are 2 of the great accomplishments of the 20th century. We very rarely hear about polio and there hasn't been a case of smallpox anywhere in the world in several decades.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My uncle died at age 87 three years ago. He took Polio upon exit from the Navy and was in a wheel chair the rest of his life.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Took the sugar cube in the 50s
A girl a couple years older than me had polio and one of her legs was smaller and shorter. She had a severe limp. She was quite an attractive girl.
Last I heard a couple years ago, she was bed ridden with health issues.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife had polio in the early 1950's. She went on to teach ice skating professionally and finally went back to school and work as an OR nurse for 22 years. Her feet are in bad shape but orthotics have always allowed her to do what she needed to do.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My high school "running buddy's" mom had polio while she was pregnant with him. She spent the rest of her life in a wheelchair, and he suffered no ill effects.
I worked with a fellow, who hired on as a laborer, for a few months - he'd had it as a kid. Walked with a bit of a limp, was highly intelligent (and educated); but had a hard time holding down a job. I commented to a physician (whom we were working for) that I thought that polio affected the brain - he told me that could be VERY true, and agreed with me, in Moises' case.

I also had the shot, and the sugar cube - ca: 1960.

Last edited by mark shubert; 03/25/18. Reason: PS

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom had it when she was very young. She's had back problems all of her life, though she was never paralyzed by the disease.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
My uncle had it, is as active as he can be. One leg much smaller than the other. A positive guy who works hard to do the most he can with what he has. The work his mom made him do as a child...stretching exercises etc...turned out to have helped him get stronger initially but the docs now say those muscles are basically worn out. Broke a hip and a kneecap recently...just wears out faster than normal healthy people I guess. He taught science for 30 years, was a successful guy despite the handicap

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a young kid in the mid to late 1940s and some of my classmates and neighborhood kids were brought down by polio. Three were in the iron lung for quite a while and several suffered mild to severe damage to their lower extremities. It could be scary, but somehow we saw it as "one more thing" encountered in life. Once the vaccine was developed (I had the injection), folks relaxed a bit - and for good reason.

In my late teens I met a fellow as part of a musical group - he was a knockout guitar player - and childhood polio had badly withered his legs to the point where watching him walk was painful. Although we offered to help, he always insisted on carrying his own equipment - including that heavy Fender quad amp - and stuffed it all into the trunk of his Olds. He was brilliant with electronics - no schooling beyond 12th grade, had a great career with PG&E, and it was common for E.E.s to come find him for help with their problems. He also founded a very successful audio enhancement company (show stage sound, etc) for his son to inherit. We stayed in touch - and, sadly, when he reached his mid 60s, effects of the childhood polio returned with a vengeance. Knocked him down and killed him within 3 years.

As a long time participant in Rotary International, we carried out quite a heavy and expensive campaign to eradicate polio in the world - and almost won. Eventually I was no longer qualified to be in Rotary and do not now know the status of that battle.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My Uncle Conrad had it as well as my dads cousin, both had a hard life but it never stopped them from working.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had the injection at first (53-54?) then the sugar cube. Remember seeing kids and adults with braces.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember the pink sugar cubes around 1960.Hell I would have taken a whole tray of them if they would have let me.We ate the white sugar cubes and rock candy in those days,the pink cubes were just as good.I remember one kid in town who had polio.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,957
Posts18,480,454
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.