Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
He might enjoy a hunting style modern sporting rifle in 308. It would solve the stock fit issue and there's no limit to stuff he could add to, or alter about it to personalize it. It's also pretty cool to the younger generation.

HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the idea of taking him to the store.

And I'd recommend a 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08 since he already has a .243.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Model 70 Featherweight, Ruger Hawkeye, or Kimber 84. Flip a coin on which one. Whatever cartridge you want. I’ve got two Kimbers, both are as accurate as anything else I’ve got, under an inch with their preferred loads. I like wood. I know synthetic has its merits. But I still like wood.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka super lite or bergara In 7-08 or 30/06 if you want 30 cal.
Someone mentioned tc venture weather shield , that’s a great gun!
just might be on heavier side for 8th grader.
The older I get the more I realize no need for big calibers

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wonder how many thousands of rifles sit in a corner, unused, because they were something fathers bought their sons without consulting the youth....rifles that the sons didn't really want because of ill fit/too much recoil/too heavy/just not the son's style, so the sons don't shoot the rifles. But the sons don't want to sell the rifles, because they hold sentimental value.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I wonder how many thousands of rifles sit in a corner, unused, because they were something fathers bought their sons without consulting the youth....rifles that the sons didn't really want because of ill fit/too much recoil/too heavy/just not the son's style, so the sons don't shoot the rifles. But the sons don't want to sell the rifles, because they hold sentimental value.
Mine's not unused, but I probably would have went with a lighter recoiling cartridge than the 338 Win. I was in college and dad, while a hunter, knew very little about rifles. He wanted to get me something that would work for anything I'd ever hunt. So far it's never not worked from doe pronghorns to bull elk and cow bison. My kids will likely get a similar gift from me, but it won't recoil as much as that one does.

N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Again, lots of great advice here. I'm taking it all in. Really appreciate it guys. I did stop buy the gun store yesterday and "looked" around. Sam, my son, will be going with me to give both of us an idea of what he likes/dislikes. Rest assured dear old Dad will have the final say though.

And I've thought long and hard on the caliber. I'm pretty much dead set on a 308. I've been to Africa twice with my Dad. Plains game the first trip, and Cape Buff/plains game the second trip. Dad has a .270 that was passed down to him from my Grandfather before he passed. Has killed Elk, Mtn Goat, Mulie, Whitetail, Antelope with no problems. But over on the dark continent, their critters are just flat out TOUGH. The first trip, Namibia, he shot all his PG with the .270 and had just a heck of a time. It's just not enough gun for their bigger spiral horned critters. "IF" I ever get the opportunity to go back, I think a .30 cal slug makes a big difference and I'm not going back without him with me as my Dad did with me. Many of you pointed out, this gun will be with him until, hopefully, he passes it onto one of his children.

Just my thoughts so far...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding the 270 Win and Africa, I'd suggest a search to turn up the posts by RinB on the subject...

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
My son had a .243 Win in H&R but it didn't shoot for [bleep]. I take him and he likes the T3 light. in .270 Win. I think it kicks like a mule but he likes it. He is21 now and 5'3" and 125 lbs. It is a nice gun. I have a TC Venture in .243 WIN in compact. It is a bit heavy for a 20" barrel but a nice handling gun and they make it in a few calibers.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think the boy needs to kearn the lesson that given the chance , his fellow Americans can and will build just as good of a rifle as any State subsidized EU company.

If he is Ok with a classic synthetic stocked all weather rifle you need to look into a T/C Venture Weathershield in 30/06. With the current rebates T/C is running, that gun can be had for about $425 online. They work well and are extremely accurate. At 7lbs, it is light enough without being hard to shoot well.

Be American-Buy American.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.