Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Check out the bullet fun out. It was all over the place with RCBS dies. Now all under 0.03

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Fotis
Check out the bullet fun out. It was all over the place with RCBS dies. Now all under 0.03

This is why I quit using RCBS dies along time ago.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Uh, if you are getting 250 fps more than factory / SAAMI velocities for that weight bullet with your load, you have a pressure issue. You just haven’t suffered the consequences of overpressure yet. Ask Mule Deer if you doubt my comment. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Uh, if you are getting 250 fps more than factory / SAAMI velocities for that weight bullet with your load, you have a pressure issue. You just haven’t suffered the consequences of overpressure yet. Ask Mule Deer if you doubt my comment. Happy Trails

Fortis is 1-1.5gr under max load according to nosler manual with the rl22. So have no idea why you think he’s over pressured.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61

You can adjust your die set for minimal run-out. You just have to be smarter than the die set... I run RCBS FL dies with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Have been doing so for a long time...:

[Linked Image]

I also check run-out and adjust dies accordingly, right after I get them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fotis is that a app you are using to measure your shot size

Tater
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Fotis is that a app you are using to measure your shot size

range buddy phone and pc

μολὼν λαβέ

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by sherm_61

You can adjust your die set for minimal run-out. You just have to be smarter than the die set... I run RCBS FL dies with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Have been doing so for a long time...:

[Linked Image]

I also check run-out and adjust dies accordingly, right after I get them.

can you explain the procedure

Last edited by Fotis; 04/06/18.

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WAM

Fortis is 1-1.5gr under max load according to nosler manual with the rl22. So have no idea why you think he’s over pressured.

Case A: Handloader's rifle needs two grains over book max to reach book velocity. That's OK because the book is just a guide since they didn't use the exact set of components and rifle as the handloader, and the chrono is telling the handloader that velocity, and hence (indirectly) pressure is in line with safe expectations.

Case B: Handloader's rifle is 250 fps over book with two grains under max listed charge weight. Never mind what the chrono says about velocity, and hence (indirectly) pressure, being beyond safe expectations. The book says handloader is two grains under max, never mind that the book didn't use the exact set of components and rifle as the handloader.

Question: Which logic holds?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Math man,
Case B certainly doesn’t if you are exceeding factory/manual velocity by that much. If one is exceeding Weatherby factory loads in any Weatherby cartridge you might be a bit on the warm side. Case A makes sense if you have a reliable chronograph. I have a couple of loads with TTSX bullets that attain book velocity with less than max listed charge with all components exactly as listed. That’s where I stop. Conversely, I have several loads from the Nosler manual that won’t reach listed velocity without pressure signs. YMMV.

IC B3

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WAM

I never said that sir

μολὼν λαβέ

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WAM

I never said that sir

No, but Miles58 did for his load. However, your 3660 velocity for 110 AB is a bit warm. Happy Trails

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Didn't Miles say his rifle was happy at 250 fps under full speed?

I made my question comment thinking the talk was about load/velocity info I missed in one of the images I can't see right now. That appears not to be the case, so please ignore my question.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah i dropped 2 grains.

μολὼν λαβέ

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

You can adjust your die set for minimal run-out. You just have to be smarter than the die set...

I guess I'm just dumb! I will still choose to run a better Quality die.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mathman
Didn't Miles say his rifle was happy at 250 fps under full speed?

I made my question comment thinking the talk was about load/velocity info I missed in one of the images I can't see right now. That appears not to be the case, so please ignore my question.

Yes, I guess it was late and I misread his > 250 slower statement. My OFS kicking in, please accept my sincere apology for any dander I may have raised. I have had loads with similar patterns develop as well. Usually resolved by +/- powder charge, switching primers, etc to change the pressure curve. Cleaning more or letting it foul a little can help. As an unrelated aside, I could never get 110 Accubond to shoot worth beans in my .257 Roberts. Don’t axe me why, cause I don’t know. It shoots others well. Another bullet I could never get to shoot well was 7mm Hornady Interbond. Happy Trails

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah i dropped 2 grains.

Let us know how that works! Happy Trails

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Favorite rifle shoots 2 in one hole one away ruining a great group.

Did it ever shoot better groups with different loads/ammo? Since it's your favorite, my guess is that it shot well at some point.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For what it is worth, what I was saying was that the factory loads I found to be accurate were running at 250 FPS below what my rifle had repeatedly shown me to be a max load.and which was in line with book max loads published by more than one manufacturer. Off the top of my head, 58.5 RL-22 produced above 3450 in that rifle's 26 inch barrel. across my chrony. and the factory loads produce 3225.

My feeling was that I should have been able to find another node producing accuracy in that much of a velocity window, and it irked me no end. I tried a number of different powders that would have been appropriate and sometimes maxed out a little faster, sometimes a little slower, but I have to this day have yet to find a node. My thoughts are that I could press on and do a little looking just above published max loads because I have yet to observe pressure signs. My inclination is that until I have exhausted ALL of the suitable powders and then evaluated the less likely powders (like Varget) to see if they will produce closer to what the Rifle should give me, that I will not be pushing things. I would not be at all surprised to see Varget give me something close enough to 3400 to satisfy me

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.