Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 58 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 57 58
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shaman
My advice to the people of Wisconsin is to distrust any person or group that wants to tell you how to have fun hunting.

Then its abundantly clear you misunderstand the WI issue.

Last edited by sharp_things; 04/11/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Poacher Poacher Poacher

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That may be, but I see a new user on a forum making 102 posts since joining and half of them are all on one issue. I understand that as a first-rate harranguer.

The fact that he's a confessed poacher only adds to the already vivid picture.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bigwoods
If the spike was eating off the corn pile and it walked off unshot at, you could stretch it to feeding. Shooting a spike over the illegal corn pile is what I would call poaching. BIG difference!!

Yep, poacher

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shaman
That may be.

Then we agree. You don't have a firm grasp on the situation. Thanks for playing.

I expect the WI matter will be refined a bit further this afternoon. This was only possible because some really smart folks had the wisdom to structure the WI crossbow season the right way.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There it is.....the "I'm a smart guy" comment I predicted earlier!!! Lmao. Patterned like a 1 1/2 year old spike off a corn pile!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
X bows............cheap POS from Rural King or some top end PSE, Ravin or Ten Point?
The new stuff blows the old stuff out of the water.
I haven't shot a Ravin yet, but have some others.
They have serious advantage over compounds.
To not admit it is silly.

They are not rifles.
They are not like compound bows either.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bigwoods
Of course I made the ignore list. I know way too much info that painfully hurts. Do we need to drag your little crabapples into this? Might as well since you pretend to be one of them on Archerytalk because youve been banned. Actually you pay to even be your son posting there. A simple google search of the little buggers tells us all we need to know.

Haha...good stuff!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hookeye
X bows............cheap POS from Rural King or some top end PSE, Ravin or Ten Point?
The new stuff blows the old stuff out of the water.
I haven't shot a Ravin yet, but have some others.
They have serious advantage over compounds.
To not admit it is silly.

They are not rifles.
They are not like compound bows either.

Correct, not all xbows are created equal and that being said, even before the Ravin or today's high end crossbows were even on the market back in 2014, the year of the launch of the crossbow season, right out of the chute, the crossbow success rate eclipsed not only bowhunters but also gun deer hunters. As crossbows advance, that WI success rate climbs rapidly. Crossbow technology is in its infancy regarding hunting weapons. The success rates are not only greater than bowhunters and even gun hunters but the success rates are rapidly climbing while the success rates of bow and gun deer hunters remain pretty flat. That data collection is what drove this revision. Forward thinking and being proactive based on data gathered thanks to totally separating the two seasons and weapons types. It's how proper resource management is done.

Some invented all sorts of conspiracy theories about greed or other reasons why the adjustment of the crossbow season should take place. They did that raher than accepting that resource management is what drive this improvement.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can you post that chart one more time? I missed it the last 3-4 times. Lol

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
there is one huge difference between a bow verses a gun or x-bow: with a hand drawn bow you have to draw bow hold some weight when deer arrives without deer seeing you . where as with a gun or x-bow its pre loaded and deer will see a lot less movement, that is huge factor in deer hunting !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That as well as the ease of use (which is why the xbow appeals to little boys and girls and small women and the elderly and handicapped) and the short learning curve and extended range over a real bow and arrow are the reasons for the much greater harvest success rate for the crossbower. And the long temporary (trial) season length is why the crossbower even has a higher success rate than even gun deer hunters. Since we cant reduce the efficiency of the crossbow, the only logical adjustment to put their success rate on par with other weapons to follow the legislation and adjust the season duration.

Nothing is being taken away from anybody since the final season length was never set until the trial was completed. Now we can set about finalizing the season duration.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ron, You are doing a disservice to all hunters by making your comparisons. You are via default pitting one "hunter against another"

You just don't understand the big picture. Commentary like yours sets the sport of hunting back considerably and antis will be using it in

one way,shape or form in the future.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
there is one huge difference between a bow verses a gun or x-bow: with a hand drawn bow you have to draw bow hold some weight when deer arrives without deer seeing you . where as with a gun or x-bow its pre loaded and deer will see a lot less movement, that is huge factor in deer hunting !

You don't say..... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pete53

Like Ron says....thats not what the discussion is about. Lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Ron, You are doing a disservice to all hunters by making your comparisons. You are via default pitting one "hunter against another"

You just don't understand the big picture. Commentary like yours sets the sport of hunting back considerably and antis will be using it in

one way,shape or form in the future.

Setting season structure based on impacts to the resource and weapons efficiency is the hallmark of proper management. Its why Firearms seasons are shorter than archery seasons and why the WI crossbow season duration ought to be set at some duration longer than the firearms season and shorter than the archery deer season. That's the matter in a nut shell. All of this was to finally set the season duration for the crossbower. Nothing else. All the emotional blather wastes all of our time. Its not anti anything. Thats just a straw man (distraction) argument by those not happy with season setting or people that don't understand the issue. Who has time for that?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
There could be something said to the appeal of regular bows...........to get out before the gun hunters.

You know........ when deer aren't spooked and folks can hunt the pre rut/rut (depending on gun season timing).

When it's warmer and easier.

Are they (by taking the easier route) just a bunch of little boys and girls?

Yeah, stuff can happen............but you reportedly knew of the data........and chose otherwise...........wait for it..........out of emotion.
IMHO the 4 arrow bull was a clusterfork.

Not admitting it................not a surprise when dealing with a bowhunting snob.

Noticed you didn't kill the beast with a trad bow, Wheels and 64#.........................what a puzzy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hookeye
IMHO the 4 arrow bull was a clusterfork.

Not admitting it................not a surprise when dealing with a bowhunting snob.

Noticed you didn't kill the beast with a trad bow, Wheels and 64#.

I was content to sit and eat a sandwich and watch that bull go down after the first arrow. That was a fatal shot and the bull was doomed. The guide however wanted it over asap and urged additional shots. Always listen to the guide. Its rule #1. From the first arrow until he went down (three arrows in him) was 9 minutes. I think he would have went down sooner if we had backed off and let him die but when the guide says shoot him again, that what you do.

Those big bulls can absorb a lot of punishment and my homemade longbow at 48lbs was the wrong "caliber" weapon for dangerous game. Always select the right weapon for the job.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
X bows may appeal to those that want a shorter learning curve, longer range and early or extended seasons.
And they may see those as pluses for a variety of reasons.

Sure, some will choose X bow because they have a lesser work ethic.
But we have lazy people in all ranks.

Personally, I dislike X bows. But I'd rather drink beer with the average X bow user than with Sharp Things.

I don't get folks acting like they're bad asses when using releases, wheels, sights and range finders.
Those that use those items, and really are bad ass with them.........tend to be rather humble folks.
They let their shooting do the talking.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Keep piling the chit.
You just don't get it.
Not surprised.

Page 11 of 58 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.