-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alaska Wind Shear killed the Brother in Law of a friend of mine.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
It’s one thing to get your license and a whole different thing to be competent as a bush pilot. Flying just enough to keep your license current will not give you the experience to deal with the various, and often quickly changing weather in my opinion. Being in western Alaska, I have seen numerous pilots come out and have trouble dealing with wind and weather. Hiring an experienced pilot who is used to the weather patterns will put you money ahead.

Not just anyone would ever make a good pilot.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
It’s one thing to get your license and a whole different thing to be competent as a bush pilot.

So true. And the reason that I have the piece of paper that says I'm a pilot and am very happy to pay someone to fly into sheep country every year.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I would call hageland air and see where their pilots get their licenses at. And then cross those schools off your list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The outfit we've used in Alaska with a couple Beavers and Cubs has to generate almost a quarter million just to cover their annual insurance costs. Were I to ever move there, I'd for sure go the cheap way and do charters.

On the boat side, my drift boat has been dirt cheap, but I don't do upstream runs very often. Were I to go the power mode, the motor and pump would be about 80% of the total boat costs.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/11/18.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by akjeff
There's an old Alaskan adage, that I was made aware of by a crusty old dude in a Seward bar, when I was a young G.I.

He said "Trust me on this, I've had boats, airplanes, and three wives. If it floats, flies, or f@*ks.......it's cheaper to rent it!" smile

Jeff

There's an old Alaskan adage, that I was made aware of by a crusty old dude in a Seward bar, when I was a young G.I.

He said "Trust me on this, I've had boats, airplanes, and three wives. If it floats, flies, or f@*ks.......it's cheaper to rent it!" smile

Jeff

And he was not lying........

see we don't always lie around here!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WDH
I would call hageland air and see where their pilots get their licenses at. And then cross those schools off your list.

ok that was funny!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Years ago my flight instructor told me that a private pilot license was a license to kill. Instrument rating and commercial better your odds followed by many hours in actual conditions.

so true, the landscape in Alaska is dotted with the remains of many "experienced" "bold" pilots.
Lefty

Fixt!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

Jeff

And he was not lying........

see we don't always lie around here!

In an Irish Fly Shop an Irish fly fisherman told me all Irish fishermen are liars... the only exception is when they are calling another Irish fisherman a liar!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WDH

You can do worse..... a lot. But they also have some of the best in the game. It's not the schooling near as much as it is the experience and judgement to match... along with solid equipment upkeep standards.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Does it have to be bush school?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been a flight instructor for 43 years and flown in Alaska for almost as long. I have seen a number of "schools" purporting to teach bush flying skills but have never met any of the "instructors" that impressed me . One learns bush flying skills only after you have mastered the basic flying skills. You then hone your short/soft field techniques and begin learning. Many of us did it by flying commercially as well as on our own.

Once you have a commercial license you will find no lack of opportunities as there is a severe shortage of pilots nationwide

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, there is a universe between becoming a PP and becoming an experienced and very good PP and a bush pilot is another world away IMO. I was still working when I became a PP and then decided to get an IFR rating for greater safety and competency. It took me only a short time to realize that an IFR rating would do me little good unless a I could fly a lot every week doing approaches and departures or I’d forget it all. Becoming 𝚁𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚍 is one thing; being competent and having good judgment is a another totally different thing.

Even in the usually stable, checker-boarded Midwest with sunny skies and clear forecasts, Ive gotten in a few tight spots taking VFR trips when unexpected weather sprang up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taking a good hard & honest look at the costs involved in piloting yourself or others into the kinds of places you really want to go versus the cost of paying a truly accomplished pilot with a quality air taxi service makes the air taxi cost look like the best deal in the whole world. To go to the kind of places you really want to go requires the kind of skills that a pilot only gains after hundreds and probably thousands of hours of bush flying. Pay a quality air taxi operator and you'll be time and money and safety ahead. Spend your money on other things instead.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Wow, worked all day and didn't check in to the 'fire once to see what was going on until this evening. Well this thread sure blew up... you guys are a blast.!

I love the jokes, the humor, the sound councel, and Sitka has nearly slapped all the stupid out of me.! grin

I'll be in Anchorage the first few days of May, if any of you are going to be around I'd sure enjoy some face time with any and all of you.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Maybe skip the bush pilot school and head straight to the Bush Company....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mjm316
Maybe skip the bush pilot school and head straight to the Bush Company....

Speaking of ways to lose your money and your life...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A couple of comments.

To start, I don't have a pilots license, I considered it for a year, got some solid advice and have dropped the idea.

But if you NEED the plane to get done what you want, thats another thing. Or if you have the money and simply want to.

But from a pilot here that I really trust, he told me should take me 5 years of flying to become "good" at flying. And then another 5 in the bush to become good at that. 10 years. I'll be old enough that I won't want to trust myself by the time I become proficient. Take that for what its worht. I"ve had other pilots and PIs validate his thoughts.

Then you look at a plane... 100K give or take, and we never even got to look at insurance or maintenance and fuel costs vs how long it sits...

Heck we have a 30K airboat that sits a LOT... it was because we wanted it. But it really isn't cost efficient either.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guy that transported us in Alaska (Beaver) had been at it for about 20 years. He put us in some tight spots where there were no campfire rings in evidence. When he picked us up, we came out one at a time as it was too tight to get off with a load. Same for my moose and caribou. Picked up each quarter and then halves respectively, going to a larger lake where we packed in the full load and had a mile or more to get off. He retired and couple years back and his replacement piled in on his second outing.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My recommendation, if you're planning to live up this way and need somewhat regular, dependable air transport, is to find out who the good pilots are from locals who use air services from time to time. (Locals generally know who 'is or 'isn't' good to fly with.) Greasing the landings in fair weather isn't nearly as important as finding (or avoiding) terra firma when things get dicey and being able to meet it safely.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.