R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by renegade50
[Linked Image]

Updated shadow box
Took out several peices and replaced with better ones
from hunts so far this year.
Me and slumlord are Just getting started this year
Feilds been plowed but it rained yet on em.
All our finds this spring have been from feilds that got plowed
Last fall and sat for the winter.
Should be some good chyt out their.

Im about 1/2way to another shadow box
This 1st one is gonna be as much grade 7 to 10 stuff as I can replace into it this yr
Then get the 2nd done up when the feilds get hard to hunt.

Dayom nice Rene. Does the Slumster ever help you find any? smile

I'm his padawon.

He makes me give him points all the time. Hahaha!!!

Got me into the hobby.

Said I had alot of mitichroidians

Got me hooked like a crack cocaine dealer.

Last edited by renegade50; 04/15/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 673
Sure seems to be a goldmine of artifacts from the south country, we sure dont get those kinds of finds up here where I live, I wonder if the soil down there makes it more suitable for finding these gems.

I assign our luck to the Karst topography here. Plenty of springs, caves, cliff overhangs, lots of surface water features, old sinkholes that may have been mud wallows and watering holes. Fair, warm climate during archaic period.

Knowing how to read landscapes and try to hypothesize the geomorphology of the land 10,000 yrs ago helps. It takes A LOT of scouting and exploratory walking to prove new sites. Sometimes a site may only be a 1/2 acre. You can miss it by a 100 yards and say to yourself "there ain't shytt here" and go on down the road with a frownie face.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes a site may only be a 1/2 acre

Yes. I was once helping a buddy on a pronghorn outing where we were traversing essentially a monoculture of low sagebrush. Nothing at all there to suggest it might be a gathering spot. No topography for shelter a water source. Suddenly we were finding points, chips, drills, and scrapers. In a couple hundred yards of the same looking topography and vegetation we were completely out of it.

1Minute
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
We found a new site today

I found a new site last week we have drove by alot
And always wondered about
Confirmed stuff was there

Problem is keeping an new site away from others
As soon as someone sees ya on it
Word spreads

Funny thing Is most of our recent new sites are Just so blatantly
Obvious terrain wise, it makes ya,think the average schmuck is just
Hunting in places that they have been told about and never found
Themselves

This whole hobby is some secret squirrel shyt , an eye for terrain and leg work.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[Linked Image]

My wife or her mom found the round white "bowling ball". I found the big flat grinding rock' 23 in long and about 50 lbs. It has a concave shallow bowl in the upper surface from having grain ground in

The 12 lb, 12 in long rock at the bottom i found on a 12 ft x 12 ft semiflat rock near Alpine. It is a pounding/grinding rock with one end broken off. It has flat sides 3x5 inches thick and wide. The end was also used and the huge rock i found it on had a few big grinding holes in it that were about 8 inches in diameter and almost a foot deep. I was hunting and stood my weatherby in the hole and took a pic with the buttstock down in the grinding hole. A phone error lost that picture. Dayom.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/15/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every point I've found has been around a water source, either a creek or a spring. As slumlord says, if there is a cave, cliff, or overhang, it's usually a good place to look. I have found quite a few here on my farm, as I have a large depression with a rock bluff, which has a spring coming out of one end, and a large cave system at the other. It must have been a major campsite, because there has been a ton of stuff found here, most before I bought the farm. It was listed in an book on the county, as being a known campsite. Actually, there are quite a few around me, some I used to find stuff when I was a kid, but access to all of them has dried up over the years.

The history books called "Kaintuck" the "Dark and Bloody Ground," supposedly because the Injuns were always fighting over it. It was said that few lived here, but that's BS, as there are too many artifact sites here in my part of the state, which prove they did live here. I know of one farm where there were so many arrowheads, that the people who owned it used to pay a man to pick them up so they wouldn't puncture the tractor tires. He supposedly dumped them in a creek. One local arrowhead hunter sold thousands of dollars of his collection to a man out of Nashville.

Yep, lots of stuff here, providing you can get permission to hunt, and have the time to do so.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Their is pretty good collection of points in the barbershop by the
old grandpa,s store on 41a.

I wish we could find some utensil stuff like jag and others have posted
Woodland and missippian stuff
A animal figurine would be awesome

Clay pipe, pottery motar and petasel stuff

That stuff is long gone and picked up by gran pappy and great grand pappy

I Got A couple of missisippian points
Everything else covers back to paleo

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Took sis and nephew out to the breaks today. I found the 4 on the left, sis the 5 in the mid, and nephew the single on the right.

[Linked Image]

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by 673
Sure seems to be a goldmine of artifacts from the south country, we sure dont get those kinds of finds up here where I live, I wonder if the soil down there makes it more suitable for finding these gems.

I assign our luck to the Karst topography here. Plenty of springs, caves, cliff overhangs, lots of surface water features, old sinkholes that may have been mud wallows and watering holes. Fair, warm climate during archaic period.

Knowing how to read landscapes and try to hypothesize the geomorphology of the land 10,000 yrs ago helps. It takes A LOT of scouting and exploratory walking to prove new sites. Sometimes a site may only be a 1/2 acre. You can miss it by a 100 yards and say to yourself "there ain't shytt here" and go on down the road with a frownie face.

Are the points from local sources I wonder? because I have a real nice spear point that comes from a source several hundred miles away I am told, very interesting.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image]
Small thumb scraper from today, I just found in the dryer. crazy

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Almost all we've found is from local source rock. Chert nodules embedded within St Louis and/or St Genevieve Limestone formations. These are formations usually 300ft thick. Accessed from outcroppings or at the base of bluffs along the rivers. Liberated by ancient man from exposed rock walls or salvaged from creek nodules. Some are heat treated from being buried under coals. This gives the parent nodule a cooked, glassy composition. Easier for concodial fracture and final flaking.

Obviously there is some 'trade rock' near the river systems. Renegade has a place that has some different pieces and colorations. Pinks and oranges. Those can also be attained by further heat treating techniques.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Barry, wife and i found a few many years ago just SE of Rogers Ruins just NW of Timberon. We also found a couple around the West Side Rd east and high above Almorgordo. There is a big ranch water tank by the road where springs were and an old corral.

As many miles as i snuck areound archery and rifle hunting those ridges and canyons years ago and sneaking and watching my footing and keeping an eye out for points i only found a couple.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Today april 15

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

Almost all we've found is from local source rock. Chert nodules embedded within St Louis and/or St Genevieve Limestone formations. These are formations usually 300ft thick. Accessed from outcroppings or at the base of bluffs along the rivers. Liberated by ancient man from exposed rock walls or salvaged from creek nodules. Some are heat treated from being buried under coals. This gives the parent nodule a cooked, glassy composition. Easier for concodial fracture and final flaking.

Obviously there is some 'trade rock' near the river systems. Renegade has a place that has some different pieces and colorations. Pinks and oranges. Those can also be attained by further heat treating techniques.

I’d like to hear some more about the “heat treating” techniques and see some examples.

I’ve found several arrowheads and scrapers on a small knoll on the family farm about 500 yards from the Pearl River. It’s within 100 yards of a spring that my father said had been boxed in for drinking water when he was a kid working the fields in the ‘20’s. I guess that spring has been around for centuries...and.it’s still there.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks slumlord
To my knowledge, virtually any points found locally are "trade points" I could be wrong but dont think so, they seem to come from area's south in the rocky mtns, as trade was generally north/south.

I think also here we have the land ravished by fire every 100 years so that may make the landscape... unsuitable?? for finding points in large numbers, I wonder what role that type of fire would play in point hunting, what do you guys think??.
Around the lakes here is where they are found but, still hard to find.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Today april 15

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dayom. Unreal.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Take the chert nodules. (some call it flint)
Nodules around here are about softball size on average. Almost round to egg shaped concretionss of limestone.

It is hypothesized that they would bury several about 8-12 inches under a fire pit, ring or hearth-whatever. Do as normal and just leave the stones under there for a few days while and everyday fire was used above for general purposes.

After the desired time, they nods were dug up and they were fractured by concussion to reveal the spalls they needed to proceed with a workable flake and so on.

Similar in theory like our local historical iron-ore furnaces from the 1850s here. Hematite enriched limestone was heated until it melted like glass, the glassy slag went to the spoils pile, the pig iron flowed into the ingots.

Around here, many gravel roads have blue glassy slag from the 1800s industrial waste spoils.

Here is a large hafted chopper with what help. The top edge reveals a glassy sheen, this is dry right off the bookshelf. This is the first thing I could grab without digging through boxes and buckets.

Hope this helps

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Take the chert nodules. (some call it flint)
Nodules around here are about softball size on average. Almost round to egg shaped concretionss of limestone.

It is hypothesized that they would bury several about 8-12 inches under a fire pit, ring or hearth-whatever. Do as normal and just leave the stones under there for a few days while and everyday fire was used above for general purposes.

After the desired time, they nods were dug up and they were fractured by concussion to reveal the spalls they needed to proceed with a workable flake and so on.

Similar in theory like our local historical iron-ore furnaces from the 1850s here. Hematite enriched limestone was heated until it melted like glass, the glassy slag went to the spoils pile, the pig iron flowed into the ingots.

Around here, many gravel roads have blue glassy slag from the 1800s industrial waste spoils.

Here is a large hafted chopper with what help. The top edge reveals a glassy sheen, this is dry right off the bookshelf. This is the thing I could grab with digging through boxes and buckets.

Hope this helps

[Linked Image]

Gawd I remember when he found that
I about chyt my pants.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://imgur.com/YepWpw4
https://imgur.com/sY0Od7V
See the artist left abit of red on the point.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image]
Half Buried all over the neighborhood lawns.
Bane of lawn mower blades.

Page 12 of 74 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 73 74

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,817
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.