Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m not sure what the come on is? LC worked well enough that we never looked further. It used to be something on the lines of 15 or 19 per 1000... and in lots of instances totally free.

LC would shoot 3 inch or less at 600, my best test group load was 5 shots at 600 at appx 1.25 inches ( used ruler, didn't really care). That was a hummer barrel though. Wished it had been my barrel. LOL

My rule was 10 shot groups at 300 of 2 inches or less, and 5 shot test groups of 4 inches or less at 600, followed by 22 shot strings in matches to prove or disprove a load. LC got us there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Mathman's done some test with LC brass. Although they were primarily in .308 he found it to be very consistent in case volume and neck thickness. Add in good metallurgy for long lasting cases, and LC's a good value proposition, if you don't mind removing the crimp.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with you guys. No one is wrong here. Many ways to get er done. Whether you scrounge up once fired brass from the range, buy fully prepped once fired stuff, have the tools and patience to remove the crimp, at least you are out there shooting!!!!!! I just got back from the range. Had a little session with my ar10 308 and 3 different types of brass. I wish i could find that chit laying around like i do .223 rem brass! I stepped over a couple hundred pieces of that today. Didnt pick up a damn 1 either. Ive got 223 brass coming out of my ears over here... ill post results of how my new ar10 shot in another thread.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I doubt I'll ever resize another 5.56 case. I buy prepped Lake city brass on line, load it up and spray empties all over the place.

When I run low I buy more.

PS - keep checking brass sites for deals and buy when the price is low.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by oldmodel
I doubt I'll ever resize another 5.56 case. I buy prepped Lake city brass on line, load it up and spray empties all over the place.

When I run low I buy more.

PS - keep checking brass sites for deals and buy when the price is low.

I'll just keep running over that brass at the range too... grin.. Pray and spray shooters, bless your souls.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I went with the 500 rounds of the Winchester LC 5.56 NATO FMJ 55g for $149.59 with free shipping. I was having a tough time beating that price by much with free brass. I still plan to acquire the components, but I'll try to do it locally to avoid shipping and hazmat fees. There's a decent gun show next weekend...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WINCHESTER .. LC brass? A new one on me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

It was a new one for me as well.

Winchester Lake City Ammo

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hornady has a partnership with LC also it seems:

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/frontier#!/

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr

That's where I ordered from. Cheaper Than Dirt currently has free shipping over $50 and a $10 coupon.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never knew that about the other contracts. Wild. Times change.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Thanks.

That explains why Winchester started crimping the primers on some of their 5.56 Ammo.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let the feeding begin!

[Linked Image]

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JOG,
Is that ammo headstamped WIN or LC?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

The Cheaper Than Dirt blurb:

Lake City Army Ammunition Plant has extended its facilities and equipment to Winchester to load their Mil-Spec brand of ammunition using Lake City Mil-Spec components; bullet, primer, powder and brass. In the recent past, Federal was the exclusive source for Lake City ammunition, but now you can purchase ammunition loaded in the Lake City Plant from Winchester. Lake City Army Ammunition Plant now contracts to build Mil-Spec, consumer ammunition are now shared with Federal, Winchester, and Hornady. The last time we saw Mil-Spec, Lake City, M193 ammo from Winchester was the Q3131 white box that was loaded in the Lake City Plant back when Olin ran the plant. Welcome the return of the Winchester Mil-Spec ammunition, loaded by a name you trust, backed by Lake City quality, and priced very competitively.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I read the sales pitch on the CTD site. Thanks for the pic.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe a better reply to your question - 'Lake City" doesn't appear anywhere on the head stamp, 20 round boxes, or the 500 round box. Only on the CTD website and the invoice.

Other than the brass showing the typical discoloration from annealing (I think), there's no indication of anything other than regular Winchester.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the government owns the land and buildings.
Who owns the equipment?
Winchester, Hornady and Federal share facilities? Equipment? Or, does one make 308, another 556......?

Just trying to understand here.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
So the government owns the land and buildings.
Who owns the equipment?
Winchester, Hornady and Federal share facilities? Equipment? Or, does one make 308, another 556......?

Just trying to understand here.
The way I understand it is Federal has the management contract. They supply management, HR, QC professionals etc. The Feds own all the real estate & hardware.

Last edited by Tyrone; 04/19/18.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I doubt that it is very difficult to change out the bunting die for the headstamp. That's the last operation performed on brass.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 54 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,898
Posts18,518,425
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.