Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If you are thinking about the newer Savage model 25's I'd probably keep looking. I tried a couple of them and both were terrible - never fed out of the magazines quite right, groups wandered horribly as barrel heated, couldn't single feed rounds due to the design, etc

This is the first comment on the Savage I have read....it seems the CZ is the top dog in this race.

Last edited by vapodog; 04/15/18.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm considering a 22 Hornet and the Ruger 77/22 is a very good looking gun.....although it's MSRP is a full grand less a buck. My real concern is that I'm among those that have not had any good luck with Ruger guns and haven't purchased any in over 20 years for that reason......

SO....what's the opinions?...does this gun feed, extract, eject, with a reasonable trigger and deliver accuracy capable of hitting a half dollar consistently at 100 yards?

I had two of them.
Does it feed, yes.
Does it extract and eject, yes.
Does it have a reasonable trigger, no.
Will it hit a half dollar consistently at 100 yds, no.
Great looking and functioning guns, except where it’s critical, accuracy.
I have not bought a Ruger in years and vowed, never again.

That was my experience....and I really liked the little rifle so I spent almost as much as I paid for it on trying to solve the problem including a new trigger (RB IIRC) and having it set back and a match chamber cut by CPC but it never did shoot MOA.

That was about 15 years ago and I've read (on the internet so it may or may not be true) that Ruger is making headway in the accuracy dept but the bad taste lingers.
I still buy and shoot their hand guns and praise them for their great CS every chance I get but for small caliber rifles CZ gets my business these days..

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm considering a 22 Hornet and the Ruger 77/22 is a very good looking gun.....although it's MSRP is a full grand less a buck. My real concern is that I'm among those that have not had any good luck with Ruger guns and haven't purchased any in over 20 years for that reason......

SO....what's the opinions?...does this gun feed, extract, eject, with a reasonable trigger and deliver accuracy capable of hitting a half dollar consistently at 100 yards?

I had two of them.
Does it feed, yes.
Does it extract and eject, yes.
Does it have a reasonable trigger, no.
Will it hit a half dollar consistently at 100 yds, no.
Great looking and functioning guns, except where it’s critical, accuracy.
I have not bought a Ruger in years and vowed, never again.

That was my experience....and I really liked the little rifle so I spent almost as much as I paid for it on trying to solve the problem including a new trigger (RB IIRC) and having it set back and a match chamber cut by CPC but it never did shoot MOA.

That was about 15 years ago and I've read (on the internet so it may or may not be true) that Ruger is making headway in the accuracy dept but the bad taste lingers.
I still buy and shoot their hand guns and praise them for their great CS every chance I get but for small caliber rifles CZ gets my business these days..

The character of this post rings loud and clear and is not at all uncommon.....

Does this trip anyone's trigger?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/762683534

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that's a funny-looking CZ.......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd take a single shot hornet. Then there's Sako, and Browning A-Bolt.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I'd take a single shot hornet. Then there's Sako, and Browning A-Bolt.

I've never heard anyone complain about a Browning in 22H....
Matter of fact I know two guys that like theirs so much they bought a second one and converted them to 17AH's.
I'd take a chance on a Sako too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The triggers can be fixed. They come heavy and gritty but with the Volquartsen sear and replacement spring, and a little fine tuning, they can be pretty good. I'm always surprised how good I got the trigger on my 77/17 HMR. Trigger is not a show stopper IMHO ... and I'm a trigger snob, I do not put up with heavy or rough triggers.

Feeding etc .. no problems.

I was trying to use the pointy Hornady Hornet and 40 grain VMAX ... had to seat those deep or they wouldn't go in the rotory magazine. The 35 grain VMAX functioned very well.

Accuracy .. I had two of the 77/22 VT hornets. Both were inch and a half guns. I never gave either a real fair chance to test accuracy because I had another problem with both: the chambers were cut real sloppy and I was getting 1-2 reloads max per case before the heads separated ... and that's with neck sizing only. On the 2nd gun, I had a few case head separations with WW factory ammo. I was in a hurry, didn't have time to screw with them or wait for Ruger, so I sold them cheap via a shop that promised to make sure the customer knew what they were getting. If I'd had time, I'd have had a gunsmith set the barrel back a half inch or more and cut a clean chamber. I'm sure they'd have worked fine. A buddy had a good one that shot the 50 grain vmax with AA#9 very well.

I wouldn't hesitate to try another now if I needed a rifle in that niche. I'd go Ruger before I'd go with something with a cheap looking sheet metal magazine sticking out the bottom.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So.......plastic magazine good.......stamped steel magazine bad......got it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well, yes, in the big picture. The real crux of the issue is flush mounted magazine vs one that protrudes below the bottom of the gun. Happens that Ruger's plastic (and steel) magazine is flush mounted, few others are. The reason it matters is that the magazine is at the balance point on the gun so if you're carrying it one handed, you've either got a smooth Ruger surface to hold onto or you've got sheet metal gouging you in the hand.

If you've got some other magazine that flush mounts with no protrusion, good. If you've got one with a smooth floor plate ala 700 or 70, good. If not, bad.

Simple. And it doesn't require being an asshat playing childish "got it" games to "understand."

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a pill Nancy.....to each his own.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather deal with CZ's magazine than roll the dice on Ruger's sketchy accuracy which you admitted to.

" I had two of the 77/22 VT hornets. Both were inch and a half guns. I never gave either a real fair chance to test accuracy because I had another problem with both: the chambers were cut real sloppy and I was getting 1-2 reloads max per case before the heads separated ... and that's with neck sizing only. On the 2nd gun, I had a few case head separations with WW factory ammo. I was in a hurry, didn't have time to screw with them or wait for Ruger, so I sold them cheap via a shop that promised to make sure the customer knew what they were getting."

Your BS story about making sure they went to folks who were aware of the problems was entertaining though.....thanks for the laugh.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
my 77 hornet shot like crap until I re barreled to 17AH, Did the trigger and bedding before re barrel so that wasn't the problem. Afterwards it was a shooter

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The CZ magazines have never seemed like any kind of problem to me. I can't ever think of a time when I've been carrying one that I was bothered by them. Certainly don't stick out as much as an AR grip and magazine which people seem to deal with pretty well.

Fieldgrade - Really nice looking cat AND rifle. What caliber? Custom barrel and custom-shortened mag?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ac......yea.....Pac-Nor barrel chambered in 17FB....mag shortened by RVB.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Aspencreek
I haven't had a Ruger 77 so I can't comment on them, but I sure like my CZ 527s. Got a few of them now, first one was the Varmint version in 17 hornet. Really love that rifle and cartridge and the set trigger is a joy to shoot. Super accurate combo. Also have a Savage Model 40 (single shot bolt action) in 22 Hornet that I bought a good few years ago before the CZ. That one is a tack-driver with Hornady 35gr vmax factory loads and I've shot countless rounds through it at small varmints. If you are thinking about the newer Savage model 25's I'd probably keep looking. I tried a couple of them and both were terrible - never fed out of the magazines quite right, groups wandered horribly as barrel heated, couldn't single feed rounds due to the design, etc. I'd rather go for a CZ or Ruger.

Oh, and the CZ 17hornet can take coyotes too! (Those are nice ones T_Inman) smile

[Linked Image]
imo, most barrels when heating up lose accuracy.

Last edited by texken; 04/23/18.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by texken
imo, most barrels when heating up lose accuracy.

Maybe, but the Savage 25's were not going from like 1" groups to 1.5" or 2". After a couple shots they were off the paper. So much so that I thought maybe I'd forgotten how to shoot or there was some crazy wind happening that I couldn't feel. So I'd switch guns to my 22 hornet or 17hmr and both would be making tiny little groups. Might be a different issue than heat, it just seemed like I'd get a couple shots near where I was aiming, then suddenly it was shooting off the planet.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've had my Ruger M77 Sporter (20" barrel) since maybe 1990-91, and the first loads through it were factory, both Winchester and Remington. It was a solid, 2" shooter at 100yds.

I changed the sear and trigger spring with one from Timney, and that helped a bunch.

Next, I started using Hodgdon's Lilgun powder and the groups went to MOA, or a bit better, and then switched to small pistol primers and now it usually shoot's sub-MOA. Back when my kid's were little, they called it the 'penney shooter' as it is accurate enough to hit pennies at 100yds.

A buddy bought the same rifle, and with the Timney Spring & Sear kit and Lilgun powder, it is also a very good shooting rifle.

I have read quite a few stories about the 2 piece bolt and shimming it to increase accuracy, but our bolts are stock.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
on my Ruger 77 in 17 HMR, and also one in 22 Mag...

about 15 minutes with a honning stone, both of them had more than acceptable triggers
and the accuracy? easily minute of prairie dog target at 200 yds at the range..

as far as sage rats, both of them are more than capable out in the field...
wacking little sage rats 150 yds plus all day long....

even when 'handicapped' with a $75 Tasco 4 x 16 World Class Scope on top...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=APDDSN0864]Vapodog,

I wonder if dale06's 77/22 Hornet was an early one without the hammer forged barrel like they have now?

I can't speak to the 77/22 Hornet, but the 77/22 lr I had was very accurate and the trigger was acceptable. Not in the same league as my Browning Micro Medallion .22 Hornet, but it can be remedied.

There are a bunch of .22 Hornet afficionados that lurk on both the "Ask the Gunwriters" and "Varmint Rifle Reloading" forums here. Maybe post your question on those forums and see what kind of responses you get.

Yes, both of mine were very early Ruger 22H rifles.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 14 invisible), 1,295 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.