Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12798967 04/15/18
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I've .been reading about AR15s for years and even bought a Rock River Predator Pursuit with a 16" barrel roughly six years ago. I am gathering parts to make my own take of SPR or DMR. Since this my take on it then it's really not either but that's okay but that's what it will be for me.
Anyway, I am looking to put a 20" barrel on it to get more velocity for the 75-77gr bullets that I have stashed away. I wouldn't mind a 22"or even a 24" if it's not too heavy. Because of my disability I can't haul the weight around I used to. Plus I don't like heavy rifles anyway. The Rock River carbine I have has what they call a "national match" weight barrel and I don't care for it. All of this has got me thinking that a gov't weight 20" should work out fine for me. Like so many I really don't have the money to buy a high dollar barrel so I'll just have to rely on the experience of other folks on a tight budget.
Sure I would love to have a finished rifle that weighs 6 pounds and shoots .25" groups at 200yrs but I think I'm being realistic to want a barrel that is capable of 1"@ 100yds for 3 shots but would rather it be for 5 shots but there I'm going down the rabbit trail of what I "would rather have" again.
All of this to ask, can anyone recommend a 20"(or22-24") barrel that is relatively light, like gov't weight, for a 1" @100yd barrel for tight budget. I know that for the most part you get what you pay for. But with time and patience I've been able to get that kind of accuracy out of hunting rifles by handloading.
So what can you suggest? Or if someone has a barrel they have taken off because that level of accuracy wasn't enough..........

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
3 shots for 1" at 100 yards? Like ive heard rost say, dang near any good barrel will shoot better than that. He's right, from what ive seen. I damn near bought a 20" black hole weaponry barrel on a noveske upper with 15"Troy battle rail that would have worked perfectly for you. Light and sub moa accuracy, and only $450.00!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
That would have done it!

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know of any 20-24" barrels that are really very light.

At a minimum, most of those will be SPR contour or heavier, & on top of that, you're adding barrel length.

Most quality 16 or 18" barrels from good manufacturers will meet your requirement of 3-5 shot into an inch if you have top quality ammo & can shoot it consistently.

Buy an 18" barrel of whatever shape spins your prop from White Oak for around $350 & rock on; or you can buy a little cheaper from others as well, that will do just fine.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
While I do say i've not seen a barrel that wouldn't do 1 inch at 100 for 3-5 shot groups in a LONG time, sometimes it takes handloads to get tehre.

And be aware I"ve never seen any barrel get there with ball ammo.... maybe a few fluke groups but if you stretch ball to 10 shot groups it'll show its true flaws every time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Go to surplusammo.com for very good prices on Black Hole Weaponry barrels. I have 2 of their 5.56 Wylde chambered barrels (1 20" & 1 24") that shoot 1/4-1/2" 3 shot groups with my handloads.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have a windham weaponry varmint exterminator barrel on a spikes tactical and it's not heavy. Shoots lights out too. That rifle bumps mm out of his #6 spot in the black rifle challenge here with a .834 moa avg.... get a lightweight freefloating handguard and low pro gas block to reduce weight and youll be golden...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That rifle bumps mm out of his #6 spot in the black rifle challenge here with a .834 moa avg....

Enjoy it while you can, 'cause I'm going to fix that real quick here, weather permitting. grin

MM

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Check out Faxon arms gunner and pencil barrels. They're lighter than a govt. contour and get good reviews for accuracy.
I have a 20" Faxon fluted on my build and it shoots 5 shot groups < 1"

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Faxon, thank you, I could not think of the brand we bought from brownells for a pencil barrel for a friend. A practice match load I have with 60 sierras shoots well enough to scare the heck out of an inch mostly IIRC, good enough he has never ask for better or more accurate ammo, just asks for another 50 now and then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That rifle bumps mm out of his #6 spot in the black rifle challenge here with a .834 moa avg....

Enjoy it while you can, 'cause I'm going to fix that real quick here, weather permitting. grin

MM

Awesome man! I like that attitude. Good luck. I look forward to seeing some good targets.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by oldmodel
Check out Faxon arms gunner and pencil barrels. They're lighter than a govt. contour and get good reviews for accuracy.
I have a 20" Faxon fluted on my build and it shoots 5 shot groups < 1"

Good thread and good info..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought this one last year from Midway USA. I have not shot it a lot but I was pretty happy with it. It's still a 3 lb barrel if too much weight is an issue.

kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...r-1-in-8-twist-20-fluted-stainless-steel

Here is one that is 24" long and weighs over 4 lbs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...-contour-1-in-8-twist-24-stainless-steel

Last edited by kwg020; 04/17/18.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
criterion hybrid is what I would recommend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Criterion makes good barrels too.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Look at LARUE $225

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Brownells has a 20 inch Barrel for 175 bucks....It is a chrome lined lightweight that is 1.75 lbs......I used this barrel on a Build..... it shot less than a 1 inch at a 100.....

Stock # 100-021-011WB

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 04/19/18.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by badwolf
Look at LARUE $225

Is La Rue making their own barrels these days? Seems I heard that some time back, just curious. I know the rejection rate from Walther that they did use could have been high enough to drive them to do their own.

C
C
The 20" Hybrid contour model will be just a hair heavier than the Government profile, but it adds weight where it counts (around the chamber toward the breech end of the barrel). What sort of maximum effective range are you looking at with this rifle? Most people are surprised that a 16" barrel can consistently take them out well beyond 700 yards with the right ammunition.

If weight reduction is the primary consideration I would consider shortening the barrel a bit rather than slimming down the profile. If long range shooting is the goal then a 20-24" will likely remain your best bet for the added velocity boost.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CriterionBarrels
The 20" Hybrid contour model will be just a hair heavier than the Government profile, but it adds weight where it counts (around the chamber toward the breech end of the barrel). What sort of maximum effective range are you looking at with this rifle? Most people are surprised that a 16" barrel can consistently take them out well beyond 700 yards with the right ammunition.

If weight reduction is the primary consideration I would consider shortening the barrel a bit rather than slimming down the profile. If long range shooting is the goal then a 20-24" will likely remain your best bet for the added velocity boost.

I have the 18" Hybrid, and it's a real shooter....My 16" government profile, not so much...

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,450
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.