Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
canada doesn't have the "diversity" that we do here. the customers you deal with every day make big difference

My diploma is a DD214

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget about these cops in Toronto.....
Cops steal edibles, get super high on the job

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Last edited by jdunham; 04/26/18.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I used to follow the posts of a fireman in East St. Louis.

Gawd almighty......what a f'ing place.

To visit family in North Central Missouri, I have to drive through the St. Louis Metroplex. It's the worst part of the trip. BOTH sides of the river sucketh, and sucketh HARD. I loathe the place. I never take that drive without at least one not-so-little-friend (and a bunch of magazines). There have been many "incidents" on the highways around St. Louis in the past few years. I have to go past Ferguson, if I plan poorly, for example, and the miscreants have blocked I-70 several times when having their fits and tantrums.

Some years back, one of my nephews who was riding with me had to pee, just about the time we crossed the river. I wouldn't stop (no good place there, anyway), so he had to pee in a Wendy's cup. He's still kinda mad about that, 15 years later.......

Last edited by ratsmacker; 04/25/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Almost 1000 killed by Police in the USA in 2017, 65 in Canada,

In Australia, there were 92 fatal police shootings between 1992 and 2011

So? Canada's population is roughly one tenth of America's with s fraction of the "diversity". I won't bother researching Austria, but suspect you'll find a similar scenario.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TED338
Perhaps I should explain the perspective thru which I have formed my current opinion of American policing. My Father, one of my Uncles and my younger Brother, were all cops, about 45-50 years experience among them and we have all shared the dubious pleasures of being shoot at many times a days for several year stints. Being 71 yo I admit that these are different times, but the forces they were on were not Mayberry, two cop towns when they were active. Not one of them ever drew hia weapon, all were accomplished marksmen, and considered that one of the high points of their careers. So I spent many years hanging around cops, good and bad, and think our current crop is going down hill fast.

Which years did they serve as police?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps I should explain the perspective thru which I have formed my current opinion of American policing. My Father, one of my Uncles and my younger Brother, were all cops, about 45-50 years experience among them and we have all shared the dubious pleasures of being shoot at many times a days for several year stints. Being 71 yo I admit that these are different times, but the forces they were on were not Mayberry, two cop towns when they were active. Not one of them ever drew hia weapon, all were accomplished marksmen, and considered that one of the high points of their careers. So I spent many years hanging around cops, good and bad, and think our current crop is going down hill fast.

Dinosaur much?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
deflave;
Good evening to you Travis, I trust all is well with you and yours and you all are keeping out of any regional flooding.

Really and truly I should stay out of this train wreck, but since I know a few folks here who are LEO in the RCMP and various city/municipal forces as well as some retired Canadian Border Services guys I'll offer the following observations.

Canadian Border Services just got armed a few years back - well I'm old so maybe 10 or so? They are as far as I'm aware, expected to leave the duty arm locked at the duty station.

If there are any regional departments who require lockup of the duty sidearm at the station or detachment office, I am unaware of them - but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I do know that Vancouver PD, Abbottsford PD, Edmonton PD, Calgary PD, Winnipeg PD and Langley PD are allowed and expected to take the duty arm home - and yes it must be locked up there, likely the same as any restricted firearm is stored here north of the medicine line, which means a trigger lock AND in a safe.

As far as the RCMP goes, that might be down to the detachment head whether that be an Inspector in a bigger area or a Sargent in a smaller one - but as far as I've ever known they take the duty arm home but again are expected that it's locked up while stored there.

The Toronto PD actually got in a fair bit of negative press when a kid with a switchblade was shot 8 times back in 2013 - the officer shot 9 times so I'd opine that he hit was he was aiming at anyway. That's the Sammy Yatim case if anyone is interested.

The RCMP tazed a chap to death a few years back in the Vancouver Airport because he had a stapler and they didn't like how slow he was putting it down. Look up the Robert Dziekanski case on that one.

I've brought up these two examples just to show that one can find examples of pretty much anything they want to - if that's all they want to do, you know?

As you noted, there's less Canucks than there are legal Californians and that's just the tip of the iceberg as to the differences between our two nations.

Anyway most folks won't let facts get in the way of their opinions Travis, so I'll just wish you all the best this spring.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/25/18.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks Dwayne. I've worked with a few city cops and RCMP guys and that's what they all told me. I haven't met any that take their gun home.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am not sure why anyone would want that job at this point

A cop can do no right at this time

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Almost like being a POTUS

Hank

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You're telling me that your relatives, as cops, were shot at many times a day, and never even drew their weapons?

Dude I'm calling straight up bullschidt

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Poor wording on my part. Father...ETO, Uncle...PTO and Brother...Viet Nam. They all shot back. Father served as a LEO from shortly after I was born until his death in '64. Uncle from Late '30's (except for his time in the Marines) to about early '60's and Brother early 70's until he died in '92. I was not referring to being shot at as cops. I should proof read better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12

You're telling me that your relatives, as cops, were shot at many times a day, and never even drew their weapons?

Dude I'm calling straight up bullschidt

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poor wording on my part. Father...ETO, Uncle...PTO and Brother...Viet Nam. They all shot back. Father served as a LEO from shortly after I was born until his death in '64. Uncle from Late '30's (except for his time in the Marines) to about early '60's and Brother early 70's until he died in '92. I was not referring to being shot at as cops. I should proof read better.

All kidding aside, it is pretty much agreed that we should hold cops to a high standard. We should know by now not to condemn all for the acts of the bad few, and that vigilance is necessary.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatboy

Hank

Three more years or else I am joining the homeless.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by deflave
Thanks Dwayne. I've worked with a few city cops and RCMP guys and that's what they all told me. I haven't met any that take their gun home.

Just because you havent met any who take their guns home doesn't mean they are "required" to leave their guns at the station when they go home like you originally stated. Fact is a lot of them do take their guns home. I live right close to a shooting range and its not uncommon on the weekends to find an off duty cop or two out there practicing. We have safe storage laws here so unless you live rural all guns must be stored in a safe or have a trigger lock when not in use.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by boatboy

Hank

Three more years or else I am joining the homeless.

I wish you strength and wisdom
Hank

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by 700LH
Almost 1000 killed by Police in the USA in 2017, 65 in Canada,..

Canada--36 million people

US--350 million people

Canda population 97 per cent white. No diversity

Chicago Baltimore Atlanta Houston Los Angeles what per cent is white?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by deflave

Just because you havent met any who take their guns home doesn't mean they are "required" to leave their guns at the station when they go home like you originally stated. Fact is a lot of them do take their guns home. I live right close to a shooting range and its not uncommon on the weekends to find an off duty cop or two out there practicing. We have safe storage laws here so unless you live rural all guns must be stored in a safe or have a trigger lock when not in use.

And in what condition are these pistols kept when at home? What condition when being transported?

(unloaded, and locked separately from the ammunition and I believe unreachable i.e. in trunk).

Their rules and regs in re guns and ammo, even service weapons, is a never-ending source of ribbing and discussion. Some have no issue with it, as it's all they've ever known and don't mind. Others have a more sheepdog mentality and it chafes them to no end. But to put forth the idea they carry off duty is in my experience, ludicrous.

Edit to add,

In case anyone tries to read anything more into than there is, let me be clear. I've met dozens of of RCMP members, as well as CBSA, and various officers from cities big enough to have their own. Far and away, a better group of guys you'll likely never meet.

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 04/26/18.

MAGA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,477
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.