Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes Doug. Sorry to mislead anyone

I just was curious how somehow had gotten one with 90mm ER, that's all. I did have one (6x42 Klassic 80mm ER) and when fitted to the rifle, it was a very effective scope

Last edited by tomk; 05/03/18. Reason: added specific model

Defend the Constitution
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
3.1 or 3.6 “ of eye relief? Ive never had a problem with a scope having 3” of eye relief. Seems trivial.......

Then again I’ve never been smacked in the eye by a scope either....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by tomk

This is the Klassik, not the PMII

It’s my impression that this was in response to jwp475’s insistence that his 6x42 Klassik has 90mm of eye relief...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1. What explanation does S&B give for their selection of an 80mm ER?
2. Why has the spec been in flux?
3. Is the configuration somehow limited to components on hand?

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kingston

Don't you think Doug has better things to do than answer those kinds of questions from a guy who obviously has no interest in purchasing the product?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tomk

This is the Klassik, not the PMII

It’s my impression that this was in response to jwp475’s insistence that his 6x42 Klassik has 90mm of eye relief...

Schmidt Bender Classic Fixed Power 6x42 A8 Reticle

30mm steel tube riflescope is an extremely versatile riflescope, adaptable to a wide range of hunting situations. It is slender and mounts low on your rifle, with excellent light transmission for a medium-power scope. Ideal for all but the very longest shots. Schmidt Bender Classic 6x42 A8 30mm Tube Rifle Scope
Specifications
Item Condition New
Scope Weight: 16.67 oz
Scope Length: 13.7"
Magnification Range: 6x
Scope Objective Diameter: 42 mm
Scope Tube Size / Mount: 30 mm
Scope Turret Adjustment: .1 mRad
Reticle Position: First Focal Plane
Field of View: 21'
Eye Relief: 3.75"
Illuminated Reticle: No
Scope Finish: Matte Black
UPC 1919920

https://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-bender-classic-6x42-a8-30mm-alloy-tube.aspx

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I am working with S&B personnel here in the USA who are working with the folks in Germany. Unfortunately, this becomes a communication issue as well as a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.
We are doing everything we can to provide all the information on this scope.
We discussed exactly what we wanted with the USA folks about design, specs, turrets etc and came to a deal. They sent this to S&B Germany who got back to us with what could be done and still meet the $1,999.99 price point we desired.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cap the windage and get more eye relief and I'm in. As it is, I'm out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Same here. Glad I held off on ordering, since the specs changed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I am sorry this is not the right fit for you. In order to cap the windage and give more ER the scope would be more expensive to make and there is a point where it just not pay to have the build done. I am sure the folks who participate in this offering will be very happy and satisfied with this great scope

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

I am sorry this is not the right fit for you. In order to cap the windage and give more ER the scope would be more expensive to make and there is a point where it just not pay to have the build done. I am sure the folks who participate in this offering will be very happy and satisfied with this great scope

Makes perfect sense of course. However, and this is my opinion only, the current feature set/specs/price point are way outside the market sweet spot. How do you say, "Cancel the whole project." in German?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I am working with S&B personnel here in the USA who are working with the folks in Germany. Unfortunately, this becomes a communication issue as well as a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.
We are doing everything we can to provide all the information on this scope.
We discussed exactly what we wanted with the USA folks about design, specs, turrets etc and came to a deal. They sent this to S&B Germany who got back to us with what could be done and still meet the $1,999.99 price point we desired.

Thank you for your response.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
More proof there is no one answer that will satisfy people.

As Doug stated, it will likely be a fantastic scope for those who purchase.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by LJB

Makes perfect sense of course. However, and this is my opinion only, the current feature set/specs/price point are way outside the market sweet spot. How do you say, "Cancel the whole project." in German?

Tough crowd....grin....

Doug's great to pursue this. S&B's inconsistency on details shouldn't be tied to him.

S&B has tripped up on specs they provided, which removed pro's and added con's. Doug mentioned it would cost a bit more to produce with those changes. I'd guess the cost would be related completely to redesign/engineering/production change, not materials, as capping windage is a very small thing and likely cheaper to produce in the long run (if enough were produced)....increasing eye relief I can't speak to. I think S&B just doesn't want to change from the previous design. From ctsmith and prairie goat it seems those changes would move two more scopes.

I'm "in for a penny, in for a pound"...and hoping the end result will be a great scope and not an expensive disappointment. There's only one way to find out for sure.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The deal killer for me was the change in eye relief.

If I wanted to get hit in the head and feel blood run down my face, I'd go down to the local watering hole and pick a fight with an oilfield worker, as I could get the job done for a lot less than $2000.

3.1" of eye relief is a no-go on about anything that generates medium to heavy recoil.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is a quarter inch difference to the SWFA SS 6X. I've shot that on a 6lb 338 Federal which is rather snappy and it wasn't an issue at all. For that matter, the S&B has more eye relief than the SWFA 3-9 when on 9x and equal to or more than MANY variables when set on the higher power. I'd prefer more, but not a deal breaker to me. Here are some comparisons I ran across.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/...-and-experience-behind-the-scope-part-1/

However, I have to pay for my wedding so need to put on hold for now regardless.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I consider 3.5” to be a healthy minimum eye relief for a scope used on hunting rifle that generate much recoil, and I’d prefer more like 4”. Get very far below that 3.5” threshold, and bad things tend to happen much more often, especially when positions get awkward, which is something that happens in hunting scenarios. Mounting a 3.1” eye relief scope on say....a Barrett 30-06, and shooting uphill from a hasty prone position over a pack is a recipe for a bloody brow. It’s just getting too close for comfort.

I’ve seen enough guys get scoped, and had it myself enough times to know that it’s not just an unpleasant experience and an embarrassing moment if it happens in front of friends - getting scoped hard is a surefire way to develop a flinch, which takes a lot of time and ammo to get over. Even worse is if the first shot doesn’t go as planned on a game animal and you scope yourself, a follow-up shot is even less likely to go the right place when your dominant eye is blinking away a stream of blood.

Not sure why the comparison was made to PRS scopes, as that’s an entirely different ballgame than the use this S&B is likely to see (i.e. scopes mounted on heavy, light kicking rifles with brakes or suppressors, vs a scope likely to be mounted on lighter, harder kicking hunting rifles that need more ER).

Looking at other scopes in the S&B’s magnification range, the Leupold 6x42 has 4.4” of eye relief. The Leupold 6x36 has 4.3”. The Meopta 6x42 has 3.7”. The SWFA 6x42 has 3.5”. I’m a fan of the SWFA 3-9, but on harder kickers I consider it a 3-6, and at 6x it has around 3.5” of eye relief.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When are these supposed to ship?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
When are these supposed to ship?

The full order will follow a week or 2 after 6/8/18 and be shipped directly to Camera Land. That was the status on 5/31.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,381
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.