Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1285123 03/02/07
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Now that his refund check has cleared, Beware Of BEJAMMIN! mad He really likes to over-exaggerate what he's selling and then try to get pissy about it. He's a flatout liar. More to follow. frown

Dave

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't much care for his statement, makes it sound like you didn't pay him. I haven't trusted him since he had that 1899 250-3000 Deluxe with the European Scope mount as he called it. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hmmm... another salesman's sample. These, by design, have two extra tap holes in the rear tang area, but I see this one has more than that - front bridge too. What else was wrong with the gun?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the stock has been butched...the buttplate fits poorly.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jed and Boltman, what did you get from his comment about the last buyer,if you didn't know it was sent back? Les

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was suspicious. Didn't know the details.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Drilled and tapped through the "savage 99" on the reciever plus 1 extra hole in the back of the reciever, also non- factory sling studs looks like the stock is worn or sanded pretty flat checkering. Don

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey guys,

Jed is right, wood was sanded badly and non Savage buttplate added (poorly), yet he still insists "all numbers match". They don't, because I've seen it with my own eyes. eek
Also a big chip in the wood behind the top tang that he "conveniently" failed to picture. shocked
Big hassle trying get him to take it back, then he nickle and dimed me on the refund (charged me for gas money to drive to the gun shop to pick it up) whistle
Funny, he changed the discription when he relisted it mad.

Buyer Beware of this "seller".

Dave

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
What's wrong with the butt plate?

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's" The Rifle" on auction again,write to him and ask what happened,interesting! Dave.

DC Miller
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Not factory. My heart sank when I opened the box and saw it. Metal proud on one side, wood proud on the other. Removed it. Receiver serial # stamped in wood and JJ4 stamped on inside of buttplate. frown

Dave

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is an example of an advantage of posting auctions, at least after they have closed. Given so many people come to this site, there's no harm in them learning something. And, potential bidders learning about the problems this gun has should save someone from getting the same heardburn Dave did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
an objective look boltman...I like open-mindedness.
It seems as though not posting auctions is purely greed driven.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I understand there are reasons or let's say consequences of posting auctions. On the other hand, there is much to learn from posting auctions. They serve as good examples for all to learn from. The collective wisdom on this forum is far greater than the wisdom of any one individual here. There have been times in the past where someone posted an auction here and I have bid on it. I would most likely have found my way to it anyway. There have been other times where someone has posted an auction that I was already watching and planning to bid. As a result of that auction being posted and discussed, someone here spotted something I had not and this prompted me to NOT bid. This saved me from getting a package like Dave got and saved me from some major heartburn. For that, I was grateful. It's not all one way when it comes to posting auctions. And we know the secret is out anyway. You can easily search "Savage 99" on gunbroker and auctionarms and quickly come up with everything that is currently on auction. I suspect most guys here (and way beyond this forum) do this on a daily basis. Remember, if you want to keep something a secret, don't put it on the internet. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that these rifles that don't sell (are reposted) are great learning tools for all of us. We should post more of them and talk about the good and bad points. This SS had great photos with it and I think most problem areas are visible to a trained eye. And the only way to get a "trained eye" is with experence... preferably without $$$ attached.

I like the idea of NOT posting the ones that have not sold yet. This is a more of a collectors forum and I think we are more buyers that sellers. So why help the sellers make more money?

Not sure how to handle the "rats" that have sold. If it was bought as a "rat"...OK. But I don't want to run down someones purchase unless they ask first. We have all made some bad buys. I usually feel bad enough about it without getting laughed at by others.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's a good point Rick. Mainly, I was thinking of running down the rats that someone not from this forum bought. But, we don't always know who everyone's handle is. I remember when I was mainly a lurker here I bought three Savage M1899's from Max France. Shortly after buying them, I discovered all three were being discussed on this forum and there were many concerns expressed. As it turned out, the guns weren't "right" and I returned all three. Could have saved myself some heartburn (and shipping money) had I stumbled on to the thread before buying. I wouldn't minimize how often the forum's discussion of an open auction has DISCOURAGED bidding.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can keep a buyer from bidding too high. Only reason I used to post them, get everyones take on it, only after would I make a decnt bid, now, I am feeling comfortable, so I post pictures of the Aftermath and take my lumps, If I bought it, I don't mind being told that I bought crap if it was. Les

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I am thinking of buying something, I probably will not post it until afterward as I don't want to do anything that will draw more potential bidders in. I recently bought a first variation, .30/30, M99H in very high condition, all original with a tang sight for $700 on auction. I was the only bidder and was stunned by this. Why people didn't take an interest in this one sure was one on me. What the heck - let me post the link and you guys can pick it apart:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66290098

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with that rifle, looks to be a very honest one to me. Les

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,246
Posts18,504,631
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.