Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have been encouraged lately by some of the better Kimber QC reports so when I ran across a most beautiful NIB 8400 Classic Stainless in .300 WSM at a LGS I gave it a careful examination, fit and finish looked flawless so I decided to try My third spin at the wheel.... First things first so I got the rifle home and tore it apart and gave the wood stock a good coating inside and out with Birchwood/Casey gunstock wax, the trigger was factory set at 3.6lbs (just where I like it) so no need to fuss with the that, I then gave the barrel and action a thorough cleaning and reinstalled It into the stock with 40 inch pounds of torque (not sure what torque setting Kimber recommends but I will find out soon)...Took the bolt apart and cleaned/oiled/greased... Installed a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 x 40 in Talley lightweight's (med) then I took it to the range with 4 different factory loads to do My little break-in procedure and to see how the rifle function's, I can report that this rifle is most certainly accurate as it printed several sub MOA groups with the factory ammo I had including a few that were well below MOA .60"-.75" 3 shot 100 yd groups hot barrel and all, I did not baby this rifle today with any extended barrel cooling between groups 😁.... I do have an issue with this rifle though, the chamber seems very tight and I did experience a hard to close and lift bolt on several rounds ( some were very hard) .....Whats at play here Kimber guy's? I got the rifle home and gave the chamber a good scrubbing with a nylon brush and some Hoppes 9 then ran a few rounds through the chamber and the bolt function was better, some ran slick as glass but one particular brand was still a little tight, is this a common issue with Kimber match chambers or what?......Thanks Hb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't comment on the chamber or ammo but sounds like you got a good one. You certainly like those .30 cal Thumpers...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good luck!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I am on the band wagon of condemning Kimber's quality control and lact of customer
service but there could be another problem here. If the rifle has been sitting for a while,
you could have a little rust in the chamber.

To fix that, spray a little automatic transmission fluid on a swab that is a bit larger
than the cartridge brass and spin it around in the chamber. That will remove and help
prevent the rust from returning.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have been encouraged lately by some of the better Kimber QC reports so when I ran across a most beautiful NIB 8400 Classic Stainless in .300 WSM at a LGS I gave it a careful examination, fit and finish looked flawless so I decided to try My third spin at the wheel.... First things first so I got the rifle home and tore it apart and gave the wood stock a good coating inside and out with Birchwood/Casey gunstock wax, the trigger was factory set at 3.6lbs (just where I like it) so no need to fuss with the that, I then gave the barrel and action a thorough cleaning and reinstalled It into the stock with 40 inch pounds of torque (not sure what torque setting Kimber recommends but I will find out soon)...Took the bolt apart and cleaned/oiled/greased... Installed a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 x 40 in Talley lightweight's (med) then I took it to the range with 4 different factory loads to do My little break-in procedure and to see how the rifle function's, I can report that this rifle is most certainly accurate as it printed several sub MOA groups with the factory ammo I had including a few that were well below MOA .60"-.75" 3 shot 100 yd groups hot barrel and all, I did not baby this rifle today with any extended barrel cooling between groups 😁.... I do have an issue with this rifle though, the chamber seems very tight and I did experience a hard to close and lift bolt on several rounds ( some were very hard) .....Whats at play here Kimber guy's? I got the rifle home and gave the chamber a good scrubbing with a nylon brush and some Hoppes 9 then ran a few rounds through the chamber and the bolt function was better, some ran slick as glass but one particular brand was still a little tight, is this a common issue with Kimber match chambers or what?......Thanks Hb

Did you try another brand of ammo? BTW I lke the looks of that rifle .I better not go into my LGS anymore they have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 7mm-08

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 16bore
Can't comment on the chamber or ammo but sounds like you got a good one. You certainly like those .30 cal Thumpers...

Lmao! I guess Im a recoil slut.....Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Did you try another brand of ammo? BTW I lke the looks of that rifle .I better not go into my LGS anymore they have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 7mm-08
I know what you mean, the LGS I got this rifle from had a Mountain Accent in .280 AI, it felt outstanding in My hands, now I think I may need a Subalpine in 30-06 for those 1 1/2 hr hikes it takes to get to a couple of My public land spots.....Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I know what you mean, the LGS I got this rifle from had a Mou
ntain Accent in .280 AI, it felt outstanding in My hands, now I think I may need a Subalpine in 30-06 for those 1 1/2 hr hikes it takes to get to a couple of My public land spots.....Hb

What an enabler grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is encouraging, as I spun the wheel for the first time last Friday. I was torn between a Montana and a Fieldcraft; I took the cheaper route first. The rifle is supposed to be here tomorrow. Before taking it to the range, I will complete the "pre-flight checklist" and go from there.

On another note, my BIL has a new Mountain Ascent, 270 Win and it shoots very well.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by boliep

I am on the band wagon of condemning Kimber's quality control and lact of customer
service but there could be another problem here. If the rifle has been sitting for a while,

To fix that, spray a little automatic transmission fluid on a swab that is a bit larger
than the cartridge brass and spin it around in the chamber. That will remove and help

This rifle was made on Jan 23rd 2014 so it has been sitting a while, I may try this if my chamber brush cleaning didnt do the trick..(I am headed back to the range today) ...If I end up sending this rifle back to Kimber we will see if their CS has improved any .....I dont expect much though 😁....Hb

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V

I know what you mean, the LGS I got this rifle from had a Mou
ntain Accent in .280 AI, it felt outstanding in My hands, now I think I may need a Subalpine in 30-06 for those 1 1/2 hr hikes it takes to get to a couple of My public land spots.....Hb

What an enabler grin

Lmao! Its all your fault..😆....Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am not a big fan of blind magazines but that Kimber Mountain Ascent felt great .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck also.6 shot's 117 Sierra's,257 Roberts [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Gorgeous stock!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I will be adding another data point to the Kimber Roulette survey soon. My new .308 Montana will come in today, but I have a girls 4x100 relay team and a few runners going to the State Championship meet through the weekend, so garage and range time are in short supply.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by boliep

This rifle was made on Jan 23rd 2014 so it has been sitting a while, I may try this if my chamber brush cleaning didnt do the trick..(I am headed back to the range today) ...If I end up sending this rifle back to Kimber we will see if their CS has improved any .....I dont expect much though 😁....Hb

How does the sticky brass measure compared to the SAAMI max cartridge drawing?

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thats a good question but I sold my micrometer with the rest of My reloading equipment several years ago, I got plenty of buddies that still reload though 👍 So i can check.....Hb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One of my 308's, factory chamber, is toward the small end of spec for diameter at the body/shoulder junction and is right at the min in the headspace direction too. It'll tell me quick if a factory round is fat/long side of spec.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before I passed judgement on the chamber, I'd check velocity. Kimber chambers tend to be a bit on the minimum side of spec. I've had several that had sticky bolt lift but coincided with more velocity. Of course without the sticky bolt lift, it would just be a 'fast barrel'.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have also noticed scarred/gauged brass, this rifle has a burr in the chamber but I still dont think it would cause the hard bolt closing and lift on particular cartridges, it doesn't matter what brand of ammo I try some are hard to get the bolt closed and some are slick as glass, it must be a super tight chamber on this Kimber.....but what to do if anything?....Hb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,402
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.