Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I'd probably choose this one in .22 Hornet

[Linked Image]

This is a nice rifle that I wouldn't mind owning. Thinkin it's a Annie. I guess if the range was close enough it would be fine for coyotes and small meat deer, and definitely up to the task of perforating paper out to a couple hundred yards.

Following this lead, move up the next step in range to a Sako Vixen in .222.

Then, a little more range and versatility. Slumming a bit, but another super short action length with a 1:8 twist X-Bolt in 223

I'd skip over the fast 22's, but I'm sure a case could be made for them.

Last edited by DollarShort; 05/28/18.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by iviax
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!

I have a Steyr Scout in .308.

Depending on how it is scoped, one can do almost anything with this rifle. Great trigger right out of the box and very accurate as well.

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
If I successfully sell one of my pistols this coming Wednesday, I will be looking into rifles soon.
I probably should have grabbed that pre-64 model 70 with zeiss scope for $2000 bucks... lol

When I was seriously considering a 223, my friends believe my Ar15 can do anything a bolt action rifle can do in my case. the struggling is real.

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

I have a Steyr Scout in .308.

Depending on how it is scoped, one can do almost anything with this rifle. Great trigger right out of the box and very accurate as well.

I am guessing 4x scope is normal for the scout but my eyesight is not so good, I need 9x for 100 yards.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Savage 340 in 30-30...good griz/long range gun fo' sho

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 06/18/18.
IC B2

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchester model 70 featherweight in 280rem

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kinda late to the party. Lots of good suggestions for rifles and cartridges have been posted and, a few "unbiased" opinions. Nahh...we all have our favorites or at least opinions on what is best for our use and certainly what we like best.

I think I'd ask a couple questions first. From an inveterate handloader the first is, do you handload and if so how seriously do you handload? Second is how much money do you want to spend? The third I'm guessing isn't as important to the OP as it is to me. Do you prefer "new and shiny" or "old and classic"? For grins and giggles a fourth might be how romantically inclined are you?

Most rifles made in the last 50 years are capable of what you mention and, especially if you're a fairly serious handloader and gun crank. If not, probably a newer rifle in a commonly available, popular cartridge is more suitable. I don't believe anyone would doubt there's been a LOT more development put into the 6.5 Creedmoor than the 6.5 Swede, at least in this country.

New(er) vs. classic. That has to be a matter of taste. I'd take a Mauser sporter from pre-WWI onward to the beginning of WWII or, a Mannlicher/Schoenauer from 1903 or any of the successive models over anything post-WWII from any country. Virtually any of the cartridges chambered in any those rifles would be adequate for my purposes.

It seems to me that today so many rifles are exceptionally accurate as compared to 50 years ago that one doesn't have to spend a ton of money to get an accurate rifle. One or the other might require a few tweaks, from what I read, but nothing like what might needed to have been done 30-50 years ago. As happily stuck in the old days as I am only a fool would deny that accuracy has improved immensely. Soo...how much money needs to be spent seems to depend on how nice a rifle you want. Commenting purely from what I read, (I haven't bought a "new" rifle in.....I don't remember for certain, 20-30 years at least), it appears for around $1000 a fella can get an accurate rifle and are pretty darn good scope chambered in a popular, common cartridge for which accurate factory ammo is available. For some classic rifles, that same $1000 will get you in the door to browse....although there is some classic rifle "buys" if a fella is patient and checks sources frequently.

The OP's comments and question are pretty open to interpretation and, that's understandable. If a fella doesn't know or hasn't made up his mind about something.....where else would he be? I know when I'm rifle shopping most of the time I'm casting about for something that catches my eye or I find interesting. My advice is find and buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face....and everything else can go hang.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by iviax
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!

I would wait until you decide what you are going to do before buying. As it is, with no real firm idea what you intend to use it for, whatever you choose is more likely to be wrong than right. If you were not stuck on just buying one, then I'd suggest something to practice with to gain familiarity so that when the time does come, you've got a good foundation. A good .223 or .308 bolt action might be a good choice because of the variety of ammo availability if you're not planning to reload. That's doesn't seem to be what you're asking, so my suggestion is to set aside money now to be spent when you have a more firm grasp on your actual need.

Tom

Yup.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
This thread frightens me every time I see it!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
This thread frightens me every time I see it!!!

Hell yes! If only one I would have to answer a military 98 with the military trigger.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The very idea is stupid!!!!! When I started hunting 60 years ago I had more than one bolt action,,

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My recomendation would be...
Pre 64 mod 70 fW....standard weight is just too heavy....chambered in 30-06. Does it all pretty well
A close second would be an L61 R Sako....in again 30-06

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I will modify my above post.

For NA - M98 in .30-06

Going worldwide, M98 in .375 H&H

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by las
I will modify my above post.

For NA - M98 in .30-06

Going worldwide, M98 in .375 H&H

Will the .375 H&H work for the OP's desire to have a rifle that is capable of long range pursuits?

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well after rereading the original post as Brad suggested I would modify my recommendation of a model 70 Feather Weight in 30-06 to the same rifle in 6.5x55, 260 Remington, or 257 Roberts. Now that's for the new model Feather Weight, like them better than the pre 64, but, that's another discussion and opinion.
So Brad I just combined the Title of and the post.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If I were limited to one rifle for all North American big game hunting, it'd be of recent manufacture comprised of best components. I'd want it to be the product of computer aided manufacturing thus removing human error. It'd be chambered in .280 Rem, '06, .308 Win, or .270 Win.

Having only one rifle means no back-up. Hence, it has to be 100% reliable. It'd have to be extremely accurate.

There are many rifles that would fill my requirements. I'd probably begin with Sako. It advertises MOA with a 5-shot group. I've yet to read negatives about Sako. Montana Rifle Company would deserve a look.

I think that control round feed is more marketing than utility. I know others have differing opinions.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I have only one more requirement. Blue steel and wood stocks.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Trumpster
If I were limited to one rifle for all North American big game hunting, it'd be of recent manufacture comprised of best components. I'd want it to be the product of computer aided manufacturing thus removing human error. It'd be chambered in .280 Rem, '06, .308 Win, or .270 Win.

Having only one rifle means no back-up. Hence, it has to be 100% reliable. It'd have to be extremely accurate.

There are many rifles that would fill my requirements. I'd probably begin with Sako. It advertises MOA with a 5-shot group. I've yet to read negatives about Sako. Montana Rifle Company would deserve a look.

I think that control round feed is more marketing than utility. I know others have differing opinions.

I'd go for a Sako, too. A .270, .25-06 or .280 would do.
Bob

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ruger 77 RL 270 tang safety

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by KnightHawk
I guess I have only one more requirement. Blue steel and wood stocks.

I like your style.

Me too: blued steel & real wood.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,905
Posts18,479,395
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.