Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
T
OP Offline
T
Hello all, I am looking to invest in a new primary hunting rifles in 8 months when this deployment comes to a close. I am debt free now 3 months in, so it’s all savings. My splurge will be a new rifle and scope. So here is what I’m thinking. I am 23, in tip top shape, and itching to really kickstart my hunting career. I hunt deer, hogs, and a lot of small game/varmints; but I’m thinking Elk, Sheep and Bear now. My current hunting rifles are a Bergara Timber .308 and Marlin 1895 .45-70, but nothing I’d consider a mountain rifle. I am looking for something weighing under 7.5 lbs scoped and lighter is better. I’ve looked at the M700 Mountain Rifle, Kimber Hunter, Barret Fieldcraft, and Bergara Mountain Premier. I want reasonable, good hunting accuracy, light weight, power for CXP2-3 game, and preferrably a rifle ready for the elements. My price with scope would hopefully be sub $2300. I’ve been shooting my entire life, both civilian and military with regularity. I’m not recoil shy, then again who doesn’t shoot better without a .338 RUM belting them? So shootability is key. I’m very comfortable with .30-06/.308 recoil, and have shot the .300 WM more than a little. That doesn’t mean I don’t want a .270 or 6.5 Creedmoor, they’re dandy cartridges in my book. Any recommendations are appreciated!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barrett or the bergara, either will be an excellent choice. I am a huge 308 fan but you never go wrong with the 30-06. The weight difference between the long and short action is truly negligible. Winmag is also a good choice but I’m not a fan of the extra recoil for anything less than elk. You could put a brake on it but why not just take a step down and go 30-06. The glass is honestly the tough part. There are so many good choices. I’m currently looking at a vortex Diamondback Tactical so that I can dial bit also stay lightweight.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'd take a long, hard look at the Tikka. You should be able to put superb glass on it and still come in under $2,300.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
OP Offline
T
The tikka is one I really don’t know much about. I’ve fire one of the older superlite models in .270 and liked it. I’ve heard they made changes for the better. That’s one I’ll add to my list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
I'd take a long, hard look at the Tikka. You should be able to put superb glass on it and still come in under $2,300.
Okie John

Hard to argue this route.

Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
The glass is honestly the tough part. There are so many good choices. I’m currently looking at a vortex Diamondback Tactical so that I can dial bit also stay lightweight.
MM

"Good choice" and "Diamondback Tactical" should never appear in the same discussion.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Barrett FC in 30-06 w/ a moderately powered scope of your choosing. I'd roll with a fixed 6x.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, Tikka T3x Superlite in .300 Win from Sportsmans warehouse would be a strong choice in a rifle then add a Swarovski Z3 2.5-10x42 in some Talley lightweights....(around $1700 total) but that is only one choice of many great rifle/scope combo's on the market that will fill your criteria, I could easily name 5 more .....Good luck...Hb

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd advise you to get your hands on the Superlite and handle it before you decide. That's a LIGHT rifle!

I had one and couldn't get used to it - I may just be an old fart, used to some weight in my firearms, but I couldn't feel the gun "settle down" for me when aiming, especially if I had been climbing and was breathing hard.

According to many writers here on the 'fire, getting the best accuracy with a really light rifle is something that isn't simple. And for me, in the excitement of the hunt, I just want to pull up my rifle, center the crosshairs and tickle the trigger, not worry about technique. I find my current Tikka T3X stainless about as light as I would want a rifle.

Of course, what suits me may not be worth spit to you, and the only way to find out is to try it, but that's the fun of it, isn't it?

Best of luck.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Barrett FC in 30-06 w/ a moderately powered scope of your choosing. I'd roll with a fixed 6x.

+1, though I'd lean toward a 2.5X8 variable scope.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by ryoushi

+1, though I'd lean toward a 2.5X8 variable scope.

I'd prefer a longer scope on a long action, but I have done similar with the 2.5-8x36 Leupold.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Go to a good gun store - check out as many models as you can - find one that feels right. 308/30-06/280 or...? Top it with good glass and go hunt. Chances are in your life it will be one of many rifles. A Tikka 3X would meet your requirements and in your budget a decent scope is no problem to find. I like leupold and have used them for years with no issues. Good luck and good hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like most of the guys here, I've owned a lot of different rifles. My new favorite is the Tikka. I've had five now. Whitaker's, a sponsor here, has a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24-inch barrel for a good cost. In your shoes, I would order one of those. I have had good luck ordering Optics from camera land, another sponsor here. I just ordered a Bushnell lrhs I from gap for a really good sale price. That would be another good option for you.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only issue with the Tikka's is if you plan to push long, heavy for caliber bullets. Their barrels are twisted 1:11 on 30 cal and 9.5 on the 7mms. The mag box is also short. These only matter if you plan to handload and want flexibility. For 99% of uses, they're a non-issue. Just wanted to point out since you're new to Tikkas. They're great options. They will be my next rifle purchase. They extended the SA mag length on the 6.5 CM, so you can load to the lands on that. Or, you can buy a medium length magazine for a .308, 7-08, or like chambering to get the added length.

I'd also shy away from a Swarovski Z3 on a LW rifle, esp a magnum. The eye relief is pretty tight for that purpose. I'd vote for an SWFA. Fixed 6x if you want to keep the whole rig under $1000. 3-9 if you want to save a VERY small amount of weight.

I have a Vortex Razor LH 2-10 on my hunting rig. It is DEF not a turret twister. They're beyond mushy and feel terrible, but I only needed to get it zeroed. But, assuming it holds zero, I'm loving it so far. I want to really put it through it's paces before I will say I trust it.

I recently went and fondled a bunch of like rifles. Browning HC Speed, Barrett field craft, Kimber subalpine, Tikka superlite, etc. To me, I liked the Barrett the most in my hand, BUT I did not like that the safety doesn't lock the bolt. That was my only negative on the FC. And honestly, I'm not sure any of them are worth $1000 over the Tikka based on my opinion. Yes, no doubt they're better, but to me, I'm not sure $1000 better.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by triggercreep
Hello all, I am looking to invest in a new primary hunting rifles in 8 months when this deployment comes to a close. I am debt free now 3 months in, so it’s all savings. My splurge will be a new rifle and scope. So here is what I’m thinking. I am 23, in tip top shape, and itching to really kickstart my hunting career. I hunt deer, hogs, and a lot of small game/varmints; but I’m thinking Elk, Sheep and Bear now. My current hunting rifles are a Bergara Timber .308 and Marlin 1895 .45-70, but nothing I’d consider a mountain rifle. I am looking for something weighing under 7.5 lbs scoped and lighter is better. I’ve looked at the M700 Mountain Rifle, Kimber Hunter, Barret Fieldcraft, and Bergara Mountain Premier. I want reasonable, good hunting accuracy, light weight, power for CXP2-3 game, and preferrably a rifle ready for the elements. My price with scope would hopefully be sub $2300. I’ve been shooting my entire life, both civilian and military with regularity. I’m not recoil shy, then again who doesn’t shoot better without a .338 RUM belting them? So shootability is key. I’m very comfortable with .30-06/.308 recoil, and have shot the .300 WM more than a little. That doesn’t mean I don’t want a .270 or 6.5 Creedmoor, they’re dandy cartridges in my book. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Keep schit simple and do yourself as many mechanical favors,as possible. Hint.

Bang for the buck and weighing supreme merit,the Barrett FC has no equal. It has a 3" box,which does huge favors,they are reliably twisted correctly and throat geometry is in synch with all. The S/S action pays dividends by default,as does a S/S spout,if only obviously. The 8x40 base mounting system and it's (5) fasteners,is without peer. The triggers aren't shabby,though a touch thin,especially in comparison to a Montucky. Stock ergo's aren't horrid,but are yet again second fiddle to a Montucky. The HEART of any/all rifles is the metal and that of course,is the first thing Window Licking Clueless Fhuqks,overlook. Reliably. Hint.

[Linked Image]

By citing something as archaic and convoluted as a "CXP2-3",you obviously don't Reload,so Factory Fodder rates a thunk. Connecting all of those dots,will steer one directly to 6.5 Creed' and 2700fps 147 ELD's(expressly). Conjoin same with a 20 MOA rail utilizing all (5) fasteners and wearing 'Horn rings to lock a 6x MQ into position...you'll reap a ruggedly reliable platform,which will do it all,less breaking stride. While doing so,it'll happily recoil very little,hold (4) rounds in the belly,balance/handle exceptionally and fend atmospherics in non-lineal fashion. If a guy is good on a Reloading Press,then the 1-8" 7-08 in the same rifle,flingin' 180 ELD's at 2600fps,is a rock solid avenue to partake.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You'll easily stay welllllll within budget and have a platform second to none,for ACTUAL fhuqking use. Hint. Whittaker's has 'em in stock for $1589.99 and free shipping(21" 6.5 Creed'). A Talley 20MOA rail is under 70 Clams and 'Horn's are under 100. A 6x MQ won't cost more than $299,but I'd sniff The SampleList first(there isn't one listed,this very second). So the MOST you could make it cost turn key,is under $2100,complete with scope caps...which leaves 200 Clams for 147 ELD Factory Fodder and Whittakers lets it go for under 26 Clams a box.

The itty-bitty bastards are superbly rugged,when scope properly,in a good mounting system. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tikka's are steaming pieces of fhuqking schit,in comparison. Hint.

1000 Words On Fieldcraft Kreedmire

1000 More Words On Fieldcraft Kreedmire

If only for giggles:

1000 Words On Teeker Goat Fhuqk

Though in fairness...I cain't comment on a Bushie LRHS either. Laffin'!

Hint.

1000 Words On LRHS "Tracking"

You've been led to water...thank me later.

Hint.

As an aside,none of the Montucky .473" S/A's or L/A's have schit for COAL latitude,nor does Teeker or Barretts in L/A. 700 or bust there. Hint.

RPM,Throating and COAL latitude,matter more than a "smidge".

Re-hint.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Of all you mentioned I have several of each ( except the Bergara) and by a thin margin I would buy a Barrett FC, I have 2 now a SA 7/08 and a LA 6.5 swede. They are crafted to the highest standards, barrels are twisted right, mag boxes are sufficient for the longest BC bullets and shoot just about anything to an astonishingly accurate level of consistency. They are light, and well made, no tweaks or fixes needed. I have a VX5 HD 3-15 on one and an Zeiss HD5 3-15 on the other. They are both under 7 lbs. full up with ammo.

My second choice is split between a Tikka SL in 308, 30/06 or a Kimber Montana in 280 AI. Both of those have been really awesome and consistent shooters also. Then an older M700 MR in 280 dropped into an edge stock, the one is probably one of my favorites. But you mentioned bear, black bear no problem.

Coastal grizzles stick to a 30/06 or your guide gun. I have a 35 whelen I would venture to say is probably the gun I would choose to carry for elk in Bear country, it is not super light, but 8 lbs. is not a rock either, but it is accurate.

Enough already, just shoot it!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you plan on killing animals bigger than this?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If not, another vote for the Tikka. Mine is a standard T3 in 7mm Rem Mag. Keep in mind the Superlite is about 8 ounces lighter, or about half a full bladder. I have a couple SL also and they’re great, but the standard is fine too.

As for twist, the 1-9.5” is great for the 162 Eldx, which kilt that bull. One shot, 20 foot recovery. My brother shot a big cow elk with the same rifle and load, similar results. She also shoots the 160 Accubond extremely well. Groups consistently .7 and under, usually less.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by okie john
Okie John

Hard to argue this route.

The glass is honestly the tough part. There are so many good choices. I’m currently looking at a vortex Diamondback Tactical so that I can dial bit also stay lightweight.
MM

"Good choice" and "Diamondback Tactical" should never appear in the same discussion.

When did vortex become crap? I know, I should spend more on glass than the gun. Forgot that.

MM

Guess I’ll just buy a swfa luckily my mossberg patriot is less than the scope 😉

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

When did vortex become crap? I know, I should spend more on glass than the gun. Forgot that.

MM

Not necessarily, but a Diamondback shouldn't even be on the radar.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd be Barret Fieldcraft in 7-08 no doubt if starting from scratch for bears and elk. Top it with a NF SHV 3-9 or a SWDFA 3-9 or fixed 10 as your budget will be close....

I really could be a one big game rifle dude with the above...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd find a Hartford made M70 classic stainless FW in 30-06/ 7mm mag/ 300 WM and get a McMillan Edge stock.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 05/29/18.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 21, 49 invisible), 12,118 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,831
Posts18,537,077
Members74,047
Most Online13,246

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.