Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Southwest Summer Campfire gathering this year is scheduled for August 3rd through 5th at Armijo Springs Campground, approximately 24 miles south of the town of Quemado, in western New Mexico. More detailed planning and preparation will be posted in this thread during the next several weeks. It is likely that gathering of foodstuffs and preparation of meals will be a shared enterprise for the first time in several years. Kent's work schedule probably will have him and his trailer elsewhere this year. If you plan to attend, please think about how you might be able to help with this.

As you may know, the region has experienced the driest winter and spring in recent memory. The landscape is quite crispy, forest fires are roaring, and forest restrictions or closures are in effect at this time. Consequently, the hoped-for summer rains will determine the final location. If needed moisture does not come in a timely manner, there may be very limiting restrictions at our intended camp site, and we may need to change locations.

For this reason, driving directions will be posted later when we have a better idea about the status of current Forest Service campground restrictions and closures. In the meantime, please pray for rain grin and let us know if you are planning to join us this year.

Hoping to see many of our old friends and some new faces!

Rick, can you please make this a "sticky"?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Up.

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ttt

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope to make it with at least one kid. The father-in-law is in poor health and the wife is afraid of the outdoors. But I should make it.

Should we make a list of what food we each should bring?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for getting the party plans started, Ben.

This sounds great, and we will have to pray for enough moisture to allow "normal" conditions. We got about an hour of a hail storm here today, followed by a bit of rain, which was welcome relief from the heat and drought. Went from 80+ to 40 degrees in about 20 minutes. Hallelujah! We lost most of our fruit, which was about to shrivel up and blow away anyhow. The power went down early, so we celebrated the moisture with a candle light dinner - - venison, corn on the cob and salad. Outdoor (covered) grilling at its finest.

It sounds like we will have to anticipate the possibility of a change in venue, maybe at the last minute. What might be an alternate site? Meals could be potluck if enough volunteers will sign up and bring extra for the singletons and/or those who come longer distances. We will bring the Tiltin' Hilton for sleeping, but it is not equipped with a generator. We do have two extra bunks in the trailer for anyone who needs a bit of protection from the weather.

So, if you are planning to come, sign up early (you can give regrets later) and let everyone know your intentions. Bring what you can share for grub and we can likely fix up a buffet line. Think about a bit of shooting and how you want the friendly competition to look; that could be vetoed by Forest weather and such, but we can all hope for the best. Does Dennis have some ideas? Black powder rifles and belly guns at 50 yards, sub-22 centerfires at 200 yds, rimfires at 100 yds with irons? Let's hear from folks with their preferences.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
We're planning on attending - "if the creek don't rise"

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good to know that Tracy & kid, Jim/Nikki and Mark/Joy will be coming - and whom else?

Once we know who-all and have an estimated number, someone will organize the volunteer food production. A little help from each corner seems to get it done in style.

We will post the shooting contest plans as far ahead as possible - we can't go without that big fun - but, camp location can affect that planning a bunch. Let's pray for rain so that Armijo Springs will work out.

If someone knows how to get it done, it would be mighty helpful if this thread were to become a STICKY.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I pray the monsoons will start early for y'all up there!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barring something unseen happening in the future, I will be there. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I pray the monsoons will start early for y'all up there!

I am happy to report that latest New Mexico weather projections say the monsoon season will start this weekend, three weeks earlier than usual.

Thanks to Ben for the head's up, especially about the dry conditions possibly affecting our plans.

My family is on notice that we have booked that time to attend.

This time, we will be complete with big tent and new-old (1999 vintage) cargo trailer. We were quite comfortable last year in the tent, even with rain every day, but I am more prepared now with lanterns and a Big Buddy heater, just in case. wink

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Am planning on being there were ever there is. Rio7

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Wife and I are planning on attending. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Things are looking up here! I am planning on this year for sure!!!! Really looking forward to see all my old friends and making new ones!!

Thank you Ben for putting the message out!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
That's great Bob!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Up

Ben

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's on my calendar, too!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
On my calendar

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I should be able to make it this year barring any crazy work stuff. Not sure if it will just be me or if one of the girls wants to come along.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kevin wrote me recently that he and his daughter Julia (the one with bow and arrows last year) plan to attend too.

Any more kids or teens coming? smile

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 06/15/18.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
My oldest will be 14 by then and may come along.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.