Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Southwest Summer Campfire gathering this year is scheduled for August 3rd through 5th at Armijo Springs Campground, approximately 24 miles south of the town of Quemado, in western New Mexico. More detailed planning and preparation will be posted in this thread during the next several weeks. It is likely that gathering of foodstuffs and preparation of meals will be a shared enterprise for the first time in several years. Kent's work schedule probably will have him and his trailer elsewhere this year. If you plan to attend, please think about how you might be able to help with this.

As you may know, the region has experienced the driest winter and spring in recent memory. The landscape is quite crispy, forest fires are roaring, and forest restrictions or closures are in effect at this time. Consequently, the hoped-for summer rains will determine the final location. If needed moisture does not come in a timely manner, there may be very limiting restrictions at our intended camp site, and we may need to change locations.

For this reason, driving directions will be posted later when we have a better idea about the status of current Forest Service campground restrictions and closures. In the meantime, please pray for rain grin and let us know if you are planning to join us this year.

Hoping to see many of our old friends and some new faces!

Rick, can you please make this a "sticky"?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Up.

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ttt

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope to make it with at least one kid. The father-in-law is in poor health and the wife is afraid of the outdoors. But I should make it.

Should we make a list of what food we each should bring?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for getting the party plans started, Ben.

This sounds great, and we will have to pray for enough moisture to allow "normal" conditions. We got about an hour of a hail storm here today, followed by a bit of rain, which was welcome relief from the heat and drought. Went from 80+ to 40 degrees in about 20 minutes. Hallelujah! We lost most of our fruit, which was about to shrivel up and blow away anyhow. The power went down early, so we celebrated the moisture with a candle light dinner - - venison, corn on the cob and salad. Outdoor (covered) grilling at its finest.

It sounds like we will have to anticipate the possibility of a change in venue, maybe at the last minute. What might be an alternate site? Meals could be potluck if enough volunteers will sign up and bring extra for the singletons and/or those who come longer distances. We will bring the Tiltin' Hilton for sleeping, but it is not equipped with a generator. We do have two extra bunks in the trailer for anyone who needs a bit of protection from the weather.

So, if you are planning to come, sign up early (you can give regrets later) and let everyone know your intentions. Bring what you can share for grub and we can likely fix up a buffet line. Think about a bit of shooting and how you want the friendly competition to look; that could be vetoed by Forest weather and such, but we can all hope for the best. Does Dennis have some ideas? Black powder rifles and belly guns at 50 yards, sub-22 centerfires at 200 yds, rimfires at 100 yds with irons? Let's hear from folks with their preferences.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We're planning on attending - "if the creek don't rise"

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good to know that Tracy & kid, Jim/Nikki and Mark/Joy will be coming - and whom else?

Once we know who-all and have an estimated number, someone will organize the volunteer food production. A little help from each corner seems to get it done in style.

We will post the shooting contest plans as far ahead as possible - we can't go without that big fun - but, camp location can affect that planning a bunch. Let's pray for rain so that Armijo Springs will work out.

If someone knows how to get it done, it would be mighty helpful if this thread were to become a STICKY.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I pray the monsoons will start early for y'all up there!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barring something unseen happening in the future, I will be there. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I pray the monsoons will start early for y'all up there!

I am happy to report that latest New Mexico weather projections say the monsoon season will start this weekend, three weeks earlier than usual.

Thanks to Ben for the head's up, especially about the dry conditions possibly affecting our plans.

My family is on notice that we have booked that time to attend.

This time, we will be complete with big tent and new-old (1999 vintage) cargo trailer. We were quite comfortable last year in the tent, even with rain every day, but I am more prepared now with lanterns and a Big Buddy heater, just in case. wink

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Am planning on being there were ever there is. Rio7

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Wife and I are planning on attending. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Things are looking up here! I am planning on this year for sure!!!! Really looking forward to see all my old friends and making new ones!!

Thank you Ben for putting the message out!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That's great Bob!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Up

Ben

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's on my calendar, too!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
On my calendar

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should be able to make it this year barring any crazy work stuff. Not sure if it will just be me or if one of the girls wants to come along.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kevin wrote me recently that he and his daughter Julia (the one with bow and arrows last year) plan to attend too.

Any more kids or teens coming? smile

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 06/15/18.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My oldest will be 14 by then and may come along.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope to make it, but we've been slammed at work and I just a per quit yesterday. So it depends a lot on whether or not I can get people hired by then.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good that more NM folks - Anjin and elkhunernm - are headed in as well, and to hear that we again will be getting that unique dose of TexArk flavoring with miles, Edtoomany, kaywoodie, Rio7 and (we hope) tex-n-cal.

Now, where is Oldman? And, Curdog maybe? Anyone from OR, WA, CO, WY, MT?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
CCCC, You'all getting any rain yet, just talked to my son in Durango,Colo. he was dancing on the back porch with the girls it was raining very hard,the fires are getting within a couple of miles of his house, he said the smoke is so bad in town that the town is almost empty, no traffic at all. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue, that fire up there is a bad one and not being well-controlled. Unfortunately, your son's place may be endangered, but the rain may help.

We've had a big helping of forest fires near here and a very few drops of rain - not enough to wet your whistle. Parched and brown - and dusty. The cervids are hurting bad and oso negro scratching around where they should not be. It clouded up this AM and we've been hoping all day - I've been working in a garage and keeping the big door open for cool air and watching for the clouds to drop lower - but they are still too high and it's coming up on 5pm. This ain't fun.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rain over in the Chiricahuas today, lots of cumulus around...radar shows quite a bit of activity west of us in SE Arizona.

Last edited by mudhen; 06/14/18.

Ben

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be there. Really need to check weekly on forest restrictions. Here in AZ, the Forest Service just lowered from category 3 to category 2 which means that you can camp, and have a contained propane stove for cooking. No charcoal, no propane fire rings. Also, just because you can cook, does not mean that shooting is allowed. Monsoon season is upon us, Pray for rain, maybe we'll get lucky.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ah yes, the yearly "family" reunion.

If work allows will be there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am planning to be there. Don't know if my wife will be able to make it or not. A lot depends on the rain. Everyone around here is hauling water. Looked real promising down towards Sierra Vista tonight. Supposed to be a better chance of rain tomorrow and even better chance on Saturday. Might wait till Saturday to do a rain dance. Timing has a lot to do with the success of said rain dance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As Norm stated, my daughter Julia and I plan on attending, barring unforeseen circumstances. Julia is excited to see Mary again as they both had a blast last summer. Hopefully Cadence (and her dog Oliver) will make it this year as well. The summer before last, on the last day of the campout, Cadence was the dirtiest little girl I had ever seen - she and Julia sure did have fun. Hopefully, there'll be a whole passel of youngsters this year - it's supremely important to expose the younger generation to the outdoors.

I was planning on cooking for Julia and I over the campfire, but I am happy to bring a few needed supplies for the group.

Hopefully, rain will bless this endeavor.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/15/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my calendar. Hopefully will be able to make it this year. You guys getting any rain out of this tornado? It's supposed to reach up to here in Colorado and may put out some fires.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
ttt

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Up

Ben

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Once again, I will be at our place in north Idaho. Some day...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No way this year, but hope to make one of these get togathers in a year or two!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what is the weather usually like there? My wife, terrified of the outdoors, is going to sleep in the truck. I usually use a lean-to. How much rain is there, and how low does it get at night?

If the wife comes, and we are allowed to cook, this should be good.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ranger_Green: Weather is usually nice. Warm during the day, but certainly not hot. Rain was sparse and light last summer. As stated, rain has been sparse/non-existant during this past winter and spring up there and the summer rains have not started yet. We won't know the rain situation until we get closer to the date of the campout. Could be very little, could be a decent amount - just have to wait and see. Nights start off coolish, but a bit warm and then get cooler as the night progresses - maybe 55ish early in the AM.

Your wife will have a big time - lots of great and friendly people.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/15/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
AND - AFAIK - no poisonous snakes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Place for RV's?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We've taken a 20 footer, before - and probably will again.
A few spaces for smaller rigs.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, several rather flat places for RVs.

The August weather at Armijo Springs (8,000 ft.) is generally lovely, as described. Usually no higher than 85 early afternoon and maybe 50 at night. We might get late afternoon/evening rain - we might not - but the thunderstorms usually move through and the rain passes. One night a few years ago, it rained pretty hard for a couple of hours. But, we had a big covered space and folks gathered round. It was nice.

Tents and lean-to setups work well. Tracy and wife in a lean to could be comfy - maybe in an over sized sleeping bag.

The only snake I've ever seen there was a nice big bull/gopher snake - and they bother no one. If I say it, sure enough something will happen to indicate otherwise (and i will get hassled), but in 20 years I have not seen a poisonous snake in that area. Simply not enough rodents, I guess. But, we do have chupacabras.

We haven't dealt with the breakfast and evening meal cooking setup yet, but folks always are free to cook for themselves. Good for hungry moochers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a 28' RV. and cupacabra on a spit could be a delicacy. Not sure I can make it this year but will put on the calendar for next year.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 28 footer probably will go in the arroyo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would be a no go.

Ed

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
ttt

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hope you folks have a blast, post a lot of pics for us please, always fun to see the gatherings here at the 'Fire.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Prwlr
That would be a no go.

It was a joke. wink

Norman Solberg
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Just four-legged friends (elk), who folks two years ago said kept them awake at night with their bugling.

I happened to see 7 around Paul's place while driving out. Fun to know they are there.

BTW, the monsoon season definitely started this morning here in the mountains east of Albuquerque.

I looked online at MyRadar that shows heavy rain near Gallup and Quemado, but as Paul (CCCC) who lives there says, Armijo Springs is surrounded by mountains and weather patterns are quite different from even nearby areas. Any rain there?

[Isn't it about time to put this thread in a sticky?]

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 06/16/18.

Norman Solberg
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anjin

Norm

I emailed Rick yesterday with a formal request. Maybe if he got several more, he might see one... blush

Ben

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for remembering!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Drive slow, in that country, at night - 2 or 3 years ago, I barely missed a HUGE bull elk on the shoulder (more or less) of the road!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
ttt

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ben - just followed up on your suggestion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3/4 inch of rain overnight - slow/gentle - just right, but only a smidgen of what is needed. Clouds are low and it's spitting a bit right now - maybe we'll get a bit more before the SW sunshine takes over again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drive slow, in that country, at night - 2 or 3 years ago, I barely missed a HUGE bull elk on the shoulder (more or less) of the road!

Probably the same one I barely missed smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
IIRC - it was - BIG bastid!
I think you were just a couple of minutes behind me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark and Patrick: 7:43 PM MST - looks like maybe the same bull that is down at the pond having an evening drink right now. He's huge - drinks too much.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sunday bump!

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need to bump this up - so happy to report 1.5 inches of rain since late Friday night. A good start - more of the same will help our plans a bunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent regarding the rain.

Is someone planning on posting a Supply List? I can start one, but I'm not sure how others would be able to edit the list. I guess we could set up a Dropbox and then send out invitations, but that's a PITA and requires e-mail addresses.

I could start the list and then post it and then when someone else makes additions they could post the new list. Any other ideas on how to go about informing the members here of the needed supplies?

- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, I am not used to good news. Keep this up.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Below is my initial attempt at putting together a supply list. I don’t know if the plan is for us to cook as a group or otherwise. Personally, I plan on cooking over a campfire for my daughter Julia and I, but I am happy to pitch in and bring a few needed supplies if the plan is indeed for group cooking. I guess we’ll need input from those attending on this issue.

Miscellaneous Supplies
Large heavy-duty trash bags
Paper plates
Plasticware
Paper towels
Water
Sodas
Strike anywhere matches
Rope
Tarps
Beer
Scotch
Ice
TP
Cook kits/propane stoves
Wash basin, scrub brush, sponge, soap

Breakfast
Eggs
Bacon
Pancake mix (instant)
Sausage

Lunch
Wheat sandwich bread
Mustard
Hot dogs
Hot dog buns
Sandwich meat
Chips
Cookies
Trail mix

Supper
Potatoes
Ground beef for burgers and/or tacos
Hamburger buns
Hot dogs
Hot dog buns
Onion
Corn and flour tortillas
Refried beans
Shredded cheese
Lettuce
Salad dressing
Spanish rice?

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/18/18.

- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, High Noon - that's quite a list - looks a lot like some we've used before.

The idea will be to have our big group meals as Friday Evening, Saturday Breakfast, Saturday Evening and Sunday Breakfast - four in all - and have folks bring whatever snacks or lunch items they want for themselves. We are working toward a simple meal prep plan - with volunteer cooks - and for sure will be asking participants to bring the ingredients and supplies needed. It all will be done in this thread and we will get sign-ups for things to bring.

More later.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
First week of August makes it better for me to potentially attend...
Quemado is my annual summer vacation getaway yearly.. I'd hate to miss it..
I'd hate to miss all my friends ever moreso...

We are moving into another house, after 17 years here... taking possession on July 13th.

Got my fingers crossed..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quemado is OK, but not much of a place to have your summer vacation - and you will miss the gathering if you land there. The gang will be at Armijo Springs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen

Norm

I emailed Rick yesterday with a formal request. Maybe if he got several more, he might see one... blush

I did too, late yesterday, and I cited this current thread since the title is a bit different from prior years'.

Norm

Norman Solberg
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Quemado is OK, but not much of a place to have your summer vacation - and you will miss the gathering if you land there. The gang will be at Armijo Springs.

From way up this way, its Quemado...

once I get to town, then I start calling it Army Jo Springs, like the locals...

I was thinking of proposing to change the name of the gathering to Camp Walker...
military style...with a motto, "The Older We Get the Better We Was.."

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, High Noon - that's quite a list - looks a lot like some we've used before.

The idea will be to have our big group meals as Friday Evening, Saturday Breakfast, Saturday Evening and Sunday Breakfast - four in all - and have folks bring whatever snacks or lunch items they want for themselves. We are working toward a simple meal prep plan - with volunteer cooks - and for sure will be asking participants to bring the ingredients and supplies needed. It all will be done in this thread and we will get sign-ups for things to bring.

More later.

Thanks CCCC, please let me know what I can do to help.

- Del Gue
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bump!

The count that I have so far is 30 definitely coming and 5 maybes. There are a few regulars who haven't chimed in--please let us know if we can expect you.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was thinking of proposing to change the name of the gathering to Camp Walker...
military style...with a motto, "The Older We Get the Better We Was.."
You seem to have some very good thoughts, but you can abandon that one for more than one reason. A few dedicated SW guys started this event and have invested a bunch in keeping it going - if ever it needs further naming, this little gang should be the focus. As you know, we don't apply much military knowledge to it all - good thing, because I know next to nothing about the military. So, no formal rules, and very few normative ones.

And, in my case, the older I get the more I wonder if ever I was much good.

I hope you can be with us again John.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bump

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul and others, I intend to bring some steaks again, as I have in the past. Usually a cryovac New York strip, but could be a Ribeye, depending on what I find. Will need a pretty accurate head count before I leave out. I talked to a Grocery store in Beebe and they said they would have them available. miles

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Highnoon has a menu started.

May I suggest that we get some input from those attending.

Anyone with special needs ?

Food allergies ?

Anything special you would like to eat ?

I know that tradition has been a Friday night fish fry and Saturday has been Mexican food and steaks.

We can get a menu in place, and then each of us can take a food assignment or two. This way we don't end up with too much of one thing, and not enough of another.

Those that don't have the capacity to bring something due to limited space in a vehicle could make a cash donation.

Oh, and remember, you will need to store what you bring. So make sure you have enough cooler space and plenty of ice or freezer packs.

Miles has volunteered to brings steaks. I'll bring at least 10 lbs of bacon. Can never have too much of that stuff grin

Don't forget extra toilet paper. Remember to pack your medications. Light weight rain gear, a warm jacket. Maybe an extra pair of boots or shoes.

Dennisinaz - Can you post the agenda and rules for the shooting matches... for those that have never been or need a reminder.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
ttt

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Note that I said that I would bring the steaks, not cook them. smile miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guys who are getting the meal plan together are making a list of what foods you folks are volunteering to bring (thanks for that), and will confirm specific needs once the meal crews and plans are set.

Good suggestions on menu etc. but simply can't organize all of that, from all directions, in this broad thread.
More later on particulars.

Shooting contest info will be published once it is set - maybe a month before the event - need more rain in order to solidify site.

Originally Posted by milespatton
Note that I said that I would bring the steaks, not cook them. smile miles
This appears to be double good news. grin

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, if Miles cooks his steaks like he cooks bacon (extra crispy) we're all in trouble. Better leave Miles to the bacon duty roster.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Miles, Makes some damn good stew when he comes to visit me, but his ham sandwich's leave something to be desired. Rio7

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Poor Miles brings steaks, get grilled.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles - we saw what Blue reported - would you like to help save your rep and cook up some stew at the gathering? We could provide plenty of possum meat.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
ttt

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, if y'all want possum stew, I will give it a go. Might find some reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies to get a recipe. miles

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
ttt

Should be a sticky by now...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, if y'all want possum stew, I will give it a go. Might find some reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies to get a recipe. miles
Well Miles, I have seen the insides of more than one possum - and will pass on that offer. But, would love to have a taste of your serious stew if ever we get the opp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gentleman I am doubtful on making it. My job has changed some making it difficult, and this year we will be trying to get Stephen prepared for his freshman year of high school. Not to mention Gigi prepared for not having her brother with at the same school.
There is a very slim chance I could come up Saturday for the one night, but don't count me in any plans.

Have fun, be safe, and take pics.
Regards,
Tom

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 06/22/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, when a bunch of us get there early, I usually make a pot. You are close enough to just show up. smile miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d like to make it but I ain’t hauling a travel trailer thru the desert in July or August again. Might can come and stay in a tent. I’ll decide in time to stake out my portion of the supplies.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom - all of us understand that kids' needs come very first for Brandy and you, but we're going to be disappointed if we don't have you amongst us. Just last eve I was thinking about that first one up this way that you helped organize - we were at the lake in a parking lot because the landscape was parched and the forest was closed for fires - and I think you took the opp to do some fishing from the boat ramp.

Still hoping to see you here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I’d like to make it but I ain’t hauling a travel trailer thru the desert in July or August again. Might can come and stay in a tent. I’ll decide in time to stake out my portion of the supplies.
Gene, it's high time you were here again. There's lots for us to talk about with you, and the shooting setup ain't bad - matter of fact, it's pretty nice. It will be good tent weather and nice spots to pitch 'em. Also note, Border Doc generously has offered a bunk or two in his trailer as might be needed. He's one fine fellow - don't know if he snores.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, when a bunch of us get there early, I usually make a pot. You are close enough to just show up. smile miles

Miles, when that old bunch starts rolling in we will no doubt see them - so will tune our nostrils from downwind. If a whiff of your stew wafts by, I'll make the trip.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
ttt

Should be a sticky by now...

Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by curdog4570

We did it last year in a 12x12 Cabela's XWT Outfitter tent that I had bought here on the Fire. It was darned heavy and a bear to set up, but it surely was big and comfortable for four people when it rained every day!

I don't think we'll have that rain this year. but it turned out fine last year and nobody seemed to mind.

This year I got a modest cargo trailer to carry all our stuff, but we'll still sleep in the tent. smile

Norman Solberg
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

KINDLY - - PLEASE - - - A STICKY FOR THIS THREAD !!!

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Weekend Bump

Ben

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still working out the details. I love packing lists and dreams of vistas along the road. The last ten years or so have been bitter but these gatherings are like an oasis to a parched soul. I am praying for rain, but selfishly as I love the smell of wood smoke and hope to gather around an actual campfire. Hearing elk bugle will just be frosting on the cake. If the night skies are clear, I cannot wait to show my girls the stars as they should be seen.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice post, Tracy. "Oasis" indeed. In driving to these parts there are some great vistas along the way and when stopping to rest a bit. if knowing your general route, others here and I can suggest some things to see.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul, If all my plans happen as I've tried to schedule them in my head, I'll be there either Tuesday, or Wednesday.

Miles, if you're making stew, I'm bringing a large bowel and a big spoon. wink

Anyone else's cooking has to be better than mine !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will probably be taking I40 to Holbrook, then swing down to Show Low. East from there, through Springerville to Quemado, then south to Armijo Springs.

My fun part starts at the named towns. Everything before that is just spent time to get out of California. If I get lucky and squeeze out more time off, I hope to stop at El Morro for a picnic lunch with the kids. They are too young to appreciate history, but I want to plant a memory that will last their lifetimes.

I would gladly take any suggestions. In my line of work, and at my age, you never know if this will be the last trip.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl
- - - Miles, if you're making stew, I'm bringing a large bowel and a big spoon. - - - wink

Owl - maybe best if you bring your very largest bowels - never know how much or how long it will take for you to digest Miles' stew.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I will probably be taking I40 to Holbrook, then swing down to Show Low. East from there, through Springerville to Quemado, then south to Armijo Springs. - - - I would gladly take any suggestions. In my line of work, and at my age, you never know if this will be the last trip.

Tracy - you named what is probably the shortest route - in miles and time. But. for me, the stretch on I40 from Flagstaff to Holbrook, and from there to Springerville, is not as scenic as a slightly longer trip.

If you have a bit more time, you can leave I40 at Winslow and drive south on AZ87 through some gorgeous forest to Payson and see more of the famous Mogollon Rim area by turning east on 260 at Payson to Show Low. From there, drive US 60 into NM. Even more scenic from Flagstaff would be to drive the road going southeast from Flag past Mormon Lake and through Happy Jack (may be Route 3) eventually to intersect AZ87 and then south to Payson, etc.

With some more time, you can leave I40 at Ash Fork, AZ driving south on AZ89 almost to Prescott, AZ, then turn east on AZ89A and go "over the top" of Mingus Mtn, dropping down through the old mining town of Jerome (still alive and interesting) then downhill and take AZ260 over to nearby Camp Verde and then east (that's a nice scenic drive - Gen. Crook Trail) to intersect AZ87 that comes down from Winslow and turn south on AZ260/AZ87 to Strawberry, Pine and Payson, then the aforementioned route on AZ260 and US60. If you wish any specific details for the above, let me know. Several guys on here know more than do I and can make suggestions. Wish I were making that drive again.

Last edited by CCCC; 06/23/18. Reason: more info

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will probably be taking I40 to Holbrook, then swing down to Show Low. East from there, through Springerville to Quemado, then south to Armijo Springs. - - - I would gladly take any suggestions. In my line of work, and at my age, you never know if this will be the last trip.

Tracy - you named what is probably the shortest route - in miles and time. But. for me, the stretch on I40 from Flagsaff to Holbrook, and from there to Springerville, is not as scenic as a slightly longer trip.

If you have a bit more time, you can leave I40 at Winslow and drive south through some gorgeous forest to Payson and see more of the famous Mogollon Rim area by turning east on 260 at Payson to Show Low. From there, drive US 60 into NM.

With some more time, you can leave I40 at Ash Fork, AZ driving south almost to Prescott, AZ, then turn east and go "over the top" of Mingus Mtn, dropping down through the old mining town of Jerome (still alive and interesting) then downhill over to nearby Camp Verde and then east (that's a nice scenic drive - Gen. Crook Trail) to the road that comes down from Winslow and turn south to Strawberry, Pine and Payson. If you wish any specific details and route numbers for the above, let me know. Several guys on here know more than do I and can make suggestions. Wish I were making that drive again.

This sounds so good that if I can't do it this trip, it will go on the Bucket List.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - saw your reply and went back to that post and added some routing detail, etc. - just in case you have time on this trip or wish to save the info. Those alternatives might add 1.5 to 4 hours to the trip - not counting stops, of course.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch out for cops in NM - especially in small towns as they rely on fines for revenue. Enforcement is merciless.

- Del Gue
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Owl
- - - Miles, if you're making stew, I'm bringing a large bowel and a big spoon. - - - wink

Owl - maybe best if you bring your very largest bowels - never know how much or how long it will take for you to digest Miles' stew.

My oh my... I did say bowels didn't I. Sorry Miles, I meant bowl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl
Originally Posted by Owl

My oh my... I did say bowels didn't I. Sorry Miles, I meant bowl.
It's OK - no need to apologize.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Tracy - you named what is probably the shortest route - in miles and time. But. for me, the stretch on I40 from Flagsaff to Holbrook, and from there to Springerville, is not as scenic as a slightly longer trip.

If you have a bit more time, you can leave I40 at Winslow and drive south through some gorgeous forest to Payson and see more of the famous Mogollon Rim area by turning east on 260 at Payson to Show Low. From there, drive US 60 into NM.

With some more time, you can leave I40 at Ash Fork, AZ driving south almost to Prescott, AZ, then turn east and go "over the top" of Mingus Mtn, dropping down through the old mining town of Jerome (still alive and interesting) then downhill over to nearby Camp Verde and then east (that's a nice scenic drive - Gen. Crook Trail) to the road that comes down from Winslow and turn south to Strawberry, Pine and Payson. If you wish any specific details and route numbers for the above, let me know. Several guys on here know more than do I and can make suggestions. Wish I were making that drive again.

This sounds so good that if I can't do it this trip, it will go on the Bucket List.

After doing both of those routes...

I usually do the South at Holbrook, Show Low, Stringerville and then Quemado south on the way there..

heading home I have more time to spend, so I do the Rt 260 to Camp Verde on I 17, and head north to
Flagstaff and then home...

From Kingman, instead of I 40, I get off and take Rt 66 East...to Seligman where it rejoins I 40..
I like it enough to take it again when heading home, from Seligman back to Kingman...

go thru 'downtown' Kingman on "Andy Devine" Drive ( old US 66) before heading north on US 93
soon to be Interstate 11 up toward Vegas....then north up US 95....

If I really have the time, I head north on US 93, until I hit US 50 and then take that across Nevada
dubbed " The Loneliest Highway in America" in like 250 miles, you go thru like 4 places that can
even be called a town...yet go by ruins of old stage coach Stops and Pony Express stops where
the ruins are still there to see...

https://unusualplaces.org/u-s-route-50-americas-loneliest-road/

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nevada/haunted-road-in-nv/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the route from Quemado to Armijo Springs CG?

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to google maps it is 32 South to County Road A022. I have never driven it though. Can't wait to.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prwlr and Ranger_Green - et al - we will publish the old driving directions soon.

Thanks for asking. Once you hit Q, take NM32 south for about 18 mi. (you will pass mm 24), then left/east on A021 at the sign for Armijo Springs.

That gravel road goes about 4 miles to a "Y" where you bear right to the campground - very close by. Just listen for the braggin' and shootin'.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Prwlr
What is the route from Quemado to Armijo Springs CG?

From the western edge of Quemado, turn South off of Hwy 60, drive about 17.5 miles South on 32 (Google Maps says 17.7 miles), then turn East (left) onto FS Rd 854. Follow 854 (staying on the heaviest traveled part) for about 4 miles. You'll cross a couple of cattle guards, but keep going, you're not trespassing while you're on the road.

You can't miss the campground, you have to drive through the middle of it. grin Just look for the people walking around with big smiles and listen for gunfire.

Oh, and be very careful coming down 32 south of Quemado, particularly the farther you get out of town. As other posters have noted, the elk don't care where or when they cross the highway nor do they have any respect for you or your vehicle. eek

Ed

Edited to add; Looks like Paul beat me to it.

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 06/24/18. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Watch out for cops in NM - especially in small towns as they rely on fines for revenue. Enforcement is merciless.
These small town cops - as in Socorro and Magdalena - do like the fines. But what they really enjoy is arresting Texans and holding them for ransom. Problem is, no one every pays up and rescues them Texans. You'll see them picking up trash and bagging it on the roadsides - orange suits. Drive carefully!

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I must have been lucky. Two years ago (my last visit), I had a blow out on the rear drivers side of my truck. While pulling a 30' trailer. I Stopped to put the spare on.
A nice young deputy sheriff driving down the highway stopped to to observe. I'm sure that the real story is that he saw a pistol strapped to my side and wanted to know
what it was all about. Anyway, no tickets, no visit to the gray bar hotel. It might of helped just a tad when he asked why I carried a Glock and told him that it had been
issued to me by Sheriff Joe at MCSO. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ttt

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could anyone please post a "lessons learned" about camping there? What is necessary versus what is nice? That would help with the wife and kids.

I still dream about being "hard" and I still think I could hang with a Lean-to and poncho liner. The wife wants the Taj Mahal, but will have to settle for the new-to-me truck. I will consider compromises.

Thanks to all.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ranger_Green: Perhaps "hard" was an unfortunate choice of words, but your question really depends on your preferences. For this style of camping where weight isn't an issue, I personally favor the old ways over newer methods of camping. As such, I have found that an old BSA canvas wall tent, replete with 2 M38 army cots, an old Coleman duck flannel-lined sleeping bag and a 1949 vintage intermediate cold sleeping bag to be quite comfortable. A Deitz kerosene lantern, an axe/hatchet, a good pocket knife, a few canvas tarps, extra Manila rope, an old cook set with a spit and a few 'S' hooks, and a good cooler with ice/foodstuffs pretty much complete a comfortable camping set-up. A good broad-brimmed hat, good boots, sturdy canvas or cotton duck clothing, a few firearms and maybe an archery rig or pellet/BB gun for the kids (if they have proper instruction) are good ideas too. A few folding chairs and maybe a small table, a camera, a flashlight, leather gloves, bandanas, sun screen, Cutter bug spray, strike anywhere matches, a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap, a first aid kit, snacks for the kids, and a water cooler are extras that could come in handy.

If you're interested, I could PM you with my "Armijo Springs Camping Checklist."

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/25/18.

- Del Gue
If we are not already in the head count, add 3. The later time frame of this year's gathering had me worried we weren't going to make it due to back to school schedules but I was fortunate enough to run into Jace's band director right before he left for the summer and pulled the "spend quality time with grandpa" card. Since 90% of his Facebook posts are about his 1 year old granddaughter, I was pretty sure he'd agreed to not give Jace grief if he missed a couple of marching practices. We'll arrive at camp sometime in the wee hours between Thursday night and Friday morning. Jace is driving now so that should make the trip easier to accomplish late at night.

Fair warning gentlemen: Jocelyn has set a goal to win a few more of the shoots this year and I hear grandpa might be setting her up with her own rifle. grin

I'll bring my full camp kitchen and pitch in where ever needed. Just a suggestion, but once you've got a rough idea of what you want to do meal-wise, we could use a Google spreadsheet and share the link to the group with full editing rights. That would give everyone the opportunity to "sign up" to bring specific items or add to the list of necessary supplies for the weekend. Sample spreadsheet here: https://goo.gl/JVey3w Feel free to make changes and play around with the spreadsheet. It won't hurt my feelings if it doesn't work. It is just a suggestion. smile

The kids and I are looking forward to seeing everyone.

Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action. ~ John Muir
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - it's easy/level/friendly camping - some of us bring extra water - plenty for all.. For shelter, some go simple old-school (ask kaywoodie), some bring nice RVs. Quite a few tents. One guy named "D" sleeps in the bed of his pickup - makes his wife sleep under the truck. Compliant lady, that one.

The only weather threat is a thunderstorm - so provisions for staying out of that are smart. Normally we have a huge tarp strung up and that gives convivial rain shelter when needed. The kids like to run around in any rain that arrives - and get muddy - especially the little girls.

Better than the site at Tonto, there is a forest service toilet house in camp. I forget who sleeps in there.

Donelle - thanks for this surprise, and what great news - so glad you all will be here again. We sure need such kids. Since you are coming in well after dark, be sure to slow down and watch for elk along - or in - the roads during the last 70 miles or so - and especially the final 25.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thank you Rick for making this thread a sticky. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes - Mr. Bin - thanks.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tracy,

One year I slept under a pop-up canopy. Had it lowered down as low as it would go. And it rained like the dickins... But, we were dry. Although the other half at the time complained about the wind, and no privacy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My youngster and I plan to attend this year. If folks want to avoid a ticket, wear a Stetson and have tobacco streaks down the side of the truck. For those who are kinda ramrodding this get together let me know what we can bring. I was at there just a couple weeks ago and the Elk were out in force on the road about sundown, just a bunch of slick heads, no bulls.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great news H&M - The more the merrier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Edtoomany - sure glad you are coming - and we may need a bit of your expert help for an hour or so, if you will. More later.

Folks - Ed's volunteered directions were quite good - but the local road numbering has changed a little faster than the mappers' ability to stay current.

Let me simply edit Ed's prose: "then turn East (left) onto A021 (not FS Rd 854). Follow A021 (staying on the heaviest traveled part) for about 4 miles. You'll cross a couple of cattle guards, but keep going, you're not trespassing while you're on the road."

At about 4 miles, where the road forks, FR854 begins to the left. Your right turn here has you in camp in about 100 yards or so.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Rick! Thanks for making this a sticky!!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To the ramrods of this " jamboree", do I need to round up some bowling pins? Might take a bit or it might be easy. Last I got, I was told the new ones had a warning on the box to not use for shooting. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles, I hunted around for a ramrod or two - none available right now - those may not exist. So, will start searching the jamboree storage area for bowling pins - quartermaster may have some. Will let you know ASAP.

P.S. Are the available new pins explosive - why the warning? If they are explosive, we may need a gross of those.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no idea about the New pins, but the box that I brought last year was a new box with old pins. Had the warning about shooting on it, but no explanation. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timely, as promised, here are the descriptions/rules for the shoots at Armijo Springs - outline form this year. OK - tune 'em up.

August 2018 Southwest Campfire Gathering
Shooting Competitions

(competing shooters may not use the same firearm as another shooter in same event)

FRIDAY 8/3
5:00 pm – Rimfire Shoot
Distance: 30 yards
Firearm: rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens)
Position: any free position with various pods/shooting sticks OK, or at bench with firearm not touching
Time once positioned: 4 minutes.
Goal: smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot.

6:30 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot Distance: 125 yards
Firearm: .22 rim fire sporting rifle, any sights (not dedicated target/competition type rifle/sights)
Position: any
Time once positioned: 5 minutes
Goal: smallest 5 shot group having at least one in the target spot

SATURDAY 8/4
8:00 am - Prairie Dog Shoot
Distance: 200 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type)
Time once positioned: 3 minutes
Goal: one shot, from a cold barrel, closest to center of a small dot (about 1/2”)

10:00 am – Center Fire Tight Group Shoot Distance: 100 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type)
Time once positioned: 5 minutes
Goal: smallest three-shot group with at least one shot in the target spot

1:00 PM Steel Shoot Distance: steels at approximately 100, 200, and 300 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type) Maximum case capacity is 30-06 size or smaller with max velocity of 3300 fps, to save the steel – honor system.
Position: any free position with various pods/shooting sticks OK, or at bench with firearm not touching
Time once positioned: 6 minutes
Goal: 6 shots with at least one at each distance; must call each shot; points according to distance
Shooting order determined by draw.

2:30 PM Bowling Pin Shoot Distance: 25 feet shooting at 5 bowling pins 18” apart on a table
Firearm: Handgun
Position: standing
Goal:Two shooters each match – winner is first to get all 5 pins off table. Double elimination format.
Rules:
For .17/.22 rim fire, pins are set 6" from the back of the table.
For.38 special/9mm and similar cartridges, pins are set in the middle of the table.
For cartridges larger than .38 Special, pins are set 6" from the front of the table,
18 shots allowed, but shooter must load only 6 at a time.
To compete with .17/.22 rim fire, participants must be age 15 or under.

Kindly submit any questions/comments on this open forum

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks CCCC!

Looking forward to attending. My services are available for any necessary work details, including KP.

KW

Founder

WS

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thanks CCCC!

Looking forward to attending. My services are available for any necessary work details, including KP.

KW

Bring your handy dandy knife or potato peeler.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Jeff, you know I will!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bowling pins - Miles and Ben - checked in the garage and looks like I rescued 10 - with holes - will that do the job? Anyone bringing a bowling ball?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bowling pins - Miles and Ben - checked in the garage and looks like I rescued 10 - with holes - will that do the job? Anyone bringing a bowling ball?

I can donate a couple of bowling balls....got 4 or 5 to get rid of...

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know what we would need a bowling ball for...probably wouldn't hurt to have some replacement pins, though. After consulting the Las Cruces yellow pages, it appears that there is a bowling alley on East Amador, although I sure have never noticed it. I usually get to Las Cruces at least once a month and I will see if I can scrounge up some pins without holes.

Ben

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Ben, the bowling alley closed Saturday due to foreclosure.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just my luck!

Ben

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bowling pins? Miles, gave me a box of them last year to use on my pistol rage during hunting season, I put them in the range storage building, think they are still there will check and let everyone know. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NMLady
Ben, the bowling alley closed Saturday due to foreclosure.

In that case, there may be some pins for sale really cheap - like maybe even free. Not that i"ve checked, but the market for used bowling pins can't be very strong. Maybe some free balls, too. If it turns out they are selling pins for cheap, please let me know.

Ben, the pins already having holes seem to fall over just fine - as long as they are not beginning to disintegrate we should be OK. Then again, we're going to need some new pins sooner or later.

Originally Posted by RIO7
Bowling pins? Miles, gave me a box of them last year to use on my pistol rage during hunting season, I put them in the range storage building, think they are still there will check and let everyone know. Rio7

Thanks Rio7 - looks like we may need some.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
On a Facebook site,the owners from 2004-08 are looking to purchase the alley. The tag didn’t give a date of anything happening.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I found a source for bowling pins if all other leads fail.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bowling-...&wl12=51446039&wl13=&veh=sem

I can order them delivered here and bring them to the camp if other sources are unproductive.

Niki and I will be dragging our old 26 ft camper to the Gathering, so an additional load of 30-50 bowling pins would not be a problem. We will be bringing extra chairs, tables, water and whatever else is needed. Niki is gluten-sensitive (Celiac disease), so we will be cooking some on her behalf- -breakfast stuff mostly- -and trying to stay clear of WHEAT, garlic, onion, peppers and such. And we live in New Mexico?

Thomas Magnum- - It would be such a special treat to see you. I hope that you can make it, although I certainly know how important it is to devote the right times to the young-uns. They will never forget your dedication as their father, and we can hope to catch up sometime later if your commitment elsewhere is needed.

Ranger Green- - Your kids will see some spectacular star exhibits with all the constellations. I have some things for you to take home.

All you other reprobates and lurkers- -get out of the hot, congested places, drive a few miles, do some sightseeing along the way, and commit, RIGHT NOW, to coming to Armijo Springs, New Mexico, meeting some Campfire folks Face To Face, and matching your shooting or cooking skills with friends you can enjoy. The joy of life is friends, family and faith. You will find them all at Armijo Springs.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I don't have shooting or cooking skills,but I do have BS'ing skills down pat.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Doc - nice post. Thanks for looking up the bowling pin availability, but you don't need buy and bring any new ones for this shindig - I think we are well-covered. Unless some among us start shooting a lot better, the holy pins we have are not going to become much holier.

Good that you and Niki can do needed cooking for her - gluten is certain to be in some stuff we cook up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thing we have other sources for pins. I stopped at the bowling alley where I got those, today, and the man said He did not have any right now to get rid of, but He was expecting to get some new ones mid month, and to check back. Depending on the time he gets them and gets the replacement going, might be close. miles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm gettin' excited. Thanks Doc for all the regards. While my wife is iffy due to her father's condition, I am letting her know that I must go.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Will gladly help out with the pin shoot.

Gotta thank Waders for introducing us, the 'fire, to it at Scottf's farm in Washington a few years ago.

Great fun!!!

(a couple of pics of "hippie chic" in the link <grin>)

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5291065/34

Last edited by bcolorado; 07/02/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gathered up 10 bowling pens that have No bullet holes I will bring them, I can include some pop up prairie dog steel we used last year for the steel shoot if needed, Please advise Rio7

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You can miss the targets, and burn the bacon just as good as the rest of us. But, I don't know if we can hold a candle to your BS'ing skills... grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Owl

You can miss the targets, and burn the bacon just as good as the rest of us. But, I don't know if we can hold a candle to your BS'ing skills... grin

Thanks Owl. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Earlier this year I was able to get bowling pins for free, for the March Hog Hunt. We had 20-odd shooters, and the wind was in our face, meaning the pins were harder to knock off the table. 20 pins was barely enough, as a number got shot in the base and would not stand up straight until I "reworked" them with a circular saw.

I've got a couple of people hired, so I'm hoping I can get loose for the trip. The .220 Howell shoots pretty well, so it will get a chance to play.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Earlier this year I was able to get bowling pins for free, for the March Hog Hunt. We had 20-odd shooters, and the wind was in our face, meaning the pins were harder to knock off the table. 20 pins was barely enough, as a number got shot in the base and would not stand up straight until I "reworked" them with a circular saw.

I've got a couple of people hired, so I'm hoping I can get loose for the trip. The .220 Howell shoots pretty well, so it will get a chance to play.

It would awesome if you could make it.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still holding hope that you will be with us, Patrick. Looking forward to seeing that .220 Howell in action again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any word on the weather? Will we be able to cook on a propane stove?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Getting closer...

I totaled all of the responses on this thread and came up with 32 "definites and 7 "maybes. I also queried a couple of folks who usually do attend that we haven't heard from yet.

If any of you who are reading are planning to attend and haven't chimed in yet, please let us know so we can make sure that we have enough food for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing all of you again!

Ben

Ben

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any word on the weather? Will we be able to cook on a propane stove?

The monsoons are shaping up, and the 3:00 PM weather radar is showing a lot of build up for the area and some pretty strong showers to the northwest. The chances for rain are predicted to increase throughout the week. Either way, you will be able to cook on a propane stove.

Two of the New Mexico forests farther north are lifting all of their restrictions this week. I think that we will be okay for just about anything.

Ben

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Guys, am hoping to come along with tex_n_cal. Will plan on bringing some decent stew or pork chops or something. Looking forward to seeing all you guys again.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Will be good to see you again, Leonard!

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In excess of 1" of rain at Armijo Springs in the past two days - some nubs of new grass starting to push up - and looks as though some more moisture is coming. Mo is betta - still needed.

Leonard - good to hear this - looking forward to more good time with you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Still on the maybe list here with the move going on....

Gotta admit, if I can't make it, I going to be really pissed about it...

will certainly be missing all the best friends a person could ever be blessed to know..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting closer...

I totaled all of the responses on this thread and came up with 32 "definites and 7 "maybes. I also queried a couple of folks who usually do attend that we haven't heard from yet.

If any of you who are reading are planning to attend and haven't chimed in yet, please let us know so we can make sure that we have enough food for everyone.

Ben

Ben. I think that you already have us on the list, but we four are planning to be there. My wife and daughter are returning from a visit to Japan on Wednesday, July 25, so we won't be there until Friday at the earliest.

There is a slight possibility that I may persuade some neighbors to come, in which case there might be three more, but I will let you know if that is the case. George is a lifelong NM resident and hunter who has been all over the state, and he and I are doing my first elk hunt in December. They have a truck-based mid-size RV.

Norm

Norman Solberg
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ben, I will be on-site for a while each day for setup on Wed. and Thurs. and full time during the event - and afternoon on Sunday for any needed clean up. Maddy will be in camp most of the time from Friday evening through Sunday AM. Thanks for getting to the final count - will need it fairly soon.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Planning on leaving here in the wee hours of 31st July!

Hope to see you all soon!

Bob

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll be watching for your distinctive carcass, Bob. Give a grunt when you arrive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting closer...

Ben

Ben. I think that you already have us on the list, but we four are planning to be there. My wife and daughter are returning from a visit to Japan on Wednesday, July 25, so we won't be there until Friday at the earliest.

[snip]

I see that the formal dates are Friday, August 3 through Sunday the 5th, so I can allow more time for family to recover from Japan trip and so we may be there a little earlier. Will let you know. grin

Norm

Norman Solberg
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right now I have a 60% chance of making it. The wife might have to stay for family reasons - her father is in ill health- but I selfishly will take the girls. If the wife makes it, I may rent a small pop-up trailer for her. Is there enough room for a truck and trailer?
If she can't make, I cannot show off her cooking skills. But I can camp under a lean-to.

As we get closer and if I commit, please let us know what foodstuffs we should bring, or provide for ourselves.

Also, I have a fair amount of scrap lead in 1lb ingots, if any bullet or fishing weight casters need any. I cleaned out a homeless encampment behind the metal recycle yard and arrested one of the most prolific scrap metal burglars in town so the yard foreman loves me. He also loves my wife's cookies. We call it a fair trade.

You may think that sounds odd, but when the junkies steal $5000 worth of copper from a legitimate family business, you get my attention.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There is plenty of room for another truck and trailer. There are no defined campsites, so you can pick a spot and claim it. I hope that things work out so that all of your family can come. We like having kids, and there seem to be more every year.

We have been spoiled by having Kent around to do all the cooking, but he is otherwise occupied this year so your wife's culinary skills would be much appreciated!

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - the food and food-related needs will be posted here by the end of the week. Just look for the list and quickly chime in so we can keep it organized and not lack anything needed.

Much of the needed equipment is stored nearby or on the way, BUT please sign up to bring any of the following if you can.

One or two pop-up shade shelters for the shooting line area - or a large self-supported tarp with poles.

A few folding tables for the food service and eating situation.

Large insulated chest (with ice?) for bottled water/drinks.

Any sign-ups for the above?

And - be sure to bring a camp chair/seat for all in your group - there are times when we all tend to sit.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will bring a couple of folding tables, as usual, and the big Igloo water cooler. I will also bring the igloo "white whale" with ice, some drinks and bottled water. I can also bring some plastic eating utensils, if needed.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Ben.

We have you down for two folding tables, big water cooler and "white whale" igloo cooler with ice, some drinks and bottled water.

Any other among you all signing-up?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Ben.

We have you down for two folding tables, big water cooler and "white whale" igloo cooler with ice, some drinks and bottled water.

Any other among you all signing-up?

I will sign up for something. I will wait until the dust settles and see what is still needed. Please post it or pm me.

The local Chicom outlet store, Harbor Freight, has 10 x 10 canopies for $65.

I was thinking of bring a horse shoe kit. Yikes, I thought finding bowling pins was hard. We will bring a kid's kit with rubber horse shoes and plastic stakes. We also want to bring another bow and some arrows.

The wife is wavering on going. This could be good news for you because she is a good cook. I did not get my girth on restaurant food. However, she ruins every trip for me. She is basically ZsaZsa Gabor from Green Acres. She is a city girl who is phobic about snakes. And Mosquitoes. And Bears. And Alligators. And anything outdoors. However, she loves road trips and seeing the world from inside a vehicle. I hope to ween her from her need of asphalt and antiseptics. I owe you a debt of gratitude as though she was terrified of the Tonto Basin, she remarked for days of how kind you were to her. She especially liked the wives and Kaywoodie, but who doesn't? And my daughters loved the dogs.

My mission is to get her used to Northern Arizona or Alamogordo New Mexico, both of whom are on my short list for retirement communities.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - good on you - we should be able to publish the food-related needs very soon. Waiting on leadership brass.

And - yes - bring that lovely lady. She will be treated even better than at Tonto. There will be more wives this time, and we will do our best to keep Kaywoodie under control. Also - there have been no mosguitoes in our experiences at Armijo Springs - and we have never experienced a bear, alligator or poisonous reptile in camp (well - some of the old farts may be venomous, but they've lost their fangs).

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If I think about it, I will bring some useful accoutrement and edibles! I just dunno now what I’ll find in the shop. Might get interesting!!! Especially little white powder and little chocolate donuts! They are always a hit with the munchkin population!!! And good for you!!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right now, planning to make it.

How is the bowling pin search coming?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To put the question to the group - one of the rifles I'll use in the centerfire shoot will probably be the .220 Howell I bought from Joe Darby. It's a single shot Nesika action with a straight tapered barrel and single set trigger. I consider it pretty much a varmint rifle - any one have concerns about calling it a "sporter rifle", compliant to the rules? I'll use something slower for the steel shoot, as the .220 is probably exceeding the 3300 fps limit.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis is the final arbiter on these questions, and he runs a pretty tight ship. Probably should PM him.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis is the final arbiter on these questions, and he runs a pretty tight ship. Probably should PM him.

done, thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patrick, do not sweat that issue - the .220 Howell certainly qualifies (sporting = varmint) especially in view of some of the heavy-barreled rifles some of us have used - and will again. It has been shot in these contests before - so plan to use it. If you are shooting the 75 grain, it sure will "probably" exceed the 3300 fps. I think this old cobbled .220H here does at least that. Maybe I'll use it somehow this year.

Yes - bowling pins are secured.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - - - - FOOD! We are expecting 40 eaters.

The Friday evening dinner is being covered by Darby, Madelyn and friend. Chili with garnishes, corn bread, deviled eggs, tortilla chips, etc..
IF SOMEONE WISHES TO BRING GREEN SALAD FIXINS OR EASY FRUIT (CHERRIES/WATERMELON, GRAPES, ETC), THIS IS THE TIME TO SIGN UP.
IF YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER TO BRING DESERT FOR THIS MEAL, THIS IS THE TIME.

The Saturday evening dinner will be headed up by Talus in AZ with crew - steaks provided by Miles Patton, some kind of good beans by Darby, and
WE WILL NEED 12 TO 15 POUNDS OF POTATO SALAD. VOLUNTEER HERE IF YOU WILL BRING THE POTATO SALAD.
IF YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER TO BRING DESERT FOR THIS MEAL, THIS IS THE TIME.

The breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday will be headed up by OWL with crew. Those will be eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes - maybe griddle cakes.
ANY NEEDS FOR BREAKFAST INGREDIENTS WILL BE POSTED BY WEDNESDAY - THE ALTERNATIVE MAY BE A REQUEST FOR $$ DONATIONS TO COVER.
IF YOU WISH TO VOLUNTEER TO BRING FRUIT JUICE FOR BREAKFAST(S), THIS IS THE TIME.

f you would rather bring accessories, sign up here. We will need:
PAPER PLATES (HEAVY/SUBSTANTIAL TYPE - NOT FOAM) - NEED 160 - 200.
PLASTIC UTENSILS (FORK/KNIFE/SPOON) - NEED 160- 200
PLASTIC DRINK CUPS (NOT DINKY) - NEED 100
STRONG PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS (NOT THIN MIL) MAYBE A DOZEN

OTHER STUFF:
Be sure to bring your own coffee/tea mug.
Although some will bring drinks to share, bring whatever beverages you know you will need. We will bring some good well water to camp.
Also bring your own stuff for mid-day snacks/lunch/etc. And, bring a chair for each bottom.

We still are looking for one or two pop-up shelters or a big supported tarp for shade on the firing line. Let us know if you are bringing such.
Shooting benches/equipment always appreciated.

If I forgot anything, don't wait - shoot me now.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS WILL BE POSTED THIS WEEK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - paper plates and cups are covered, thanks to Donelle. She (and Jace and Jocelyn) are bringing the WATERMELON too.

Anyone for the plastic utensils?

And, the other stuff??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - thanks for the prayers, rain dances and positive thoughts.

"Due to the decreasing risk of fire danger, the Gila National Forest will lift all fire restrictions across the forest effectively immediately. In addition, Fire Danger has been modified down to Moderate from Very High."

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just picked up a roll of heavy-duty 55-gallon drum liners while I was at the local mercantile. Trash bags are covered.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DRIVING

From the north: US Rte. 60 west from Socorro, NM or east from Springerville, AZ.
In Quemado, NM, take NM Rte. 32 south for about 18 miles, passing mile marker 24

From the south: New Mexico Rte. 12 to Apache Creek, NM, north on NM Rte.32 for about 23 miles (pass mile marker 23)

Look for sign “Armijo Springs”, turn east on CR A021 and proceed about 4 miles.

Turn right at “Y”, drive a bit and listen/look for the commotion.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will bring a couple 10x10 canopies. Also will have an ice chest with water and whateverelse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
I will bring a couple 10x10 canopies. Also will have an ice chest with water and whateverelse.

OK hitandmiss, this is great. A total of 10x20 with those canopies together will make the shooting line much more enjoyable - and the chest of ice/drinks is much welcomed. Thanks. When do you plan to arrive? (Hoping to set up the range on Friday afternoon for those evening shoots.)

TO THOSE NOT YET BRINGING ANYTHING: We now do have paper plates/bowls/cups/garbage bags from the "need" list. Still need plastic utensils and some paper towels.

In the food dept, we have most of the food for both evening dinners, including watermelon, but still need 12 t0 15 lbs, of potato salad, tortilla chips, and some more easy fruit (grapes/cherries/apples) or other dessert stuff.

We also could enjoy some fruit juice to go with breakfasts.

Finally (I think) - we need someone to volunteer to be the coffee purveyor for all four meals - and to bring the needed coffee.

Let's hear from more of youse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My attendance is in question as of today with a likely job coming up. This always seems to happen. I should know for sure late next week. As of right now please consider my likelihood to be about 35%.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got it, SP. Wishing you the best on the job possibility - but we sure would like for you to be amongst.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
CCCC, I will not be attending this year. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got it, SP. Wishing you the best on the job possibility - but we sure would like for you to be amongst.

Thanks, CCCC. I usually love my job but travel can't always be planned/scheduled the way I'd like. There's a good chance I'll be in Roswell when I should be meeting all of the fine folks at Armijo Springs.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7
CCCC, I will not be attending this year. Rio7

Rio7, this is a major disappointment. Mucho sorry !

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Blue,

Quemado won't be the same without you and Smoke being there...

I am sure I speak for the rest of the guys... I hope its just that you are too busy, instead of being any health issues or such..

Few of us are the spring chickens we use to be...

Hope this finds you doing well...

cheers and best regards
seafire.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Greetings Friends,

Unforeseen family circumstances have occurred that will be the cause of my absence again, at the upcoming Armijo Springs gathering. frown

There just isn’t enough of me to go around. I already miss you all and wish the best of times for you!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob - poor news. We will troop on and enjoy ourselves, but without our most properly dressed soldier.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Greetings Friends,

Unforeseen family circumstances have occurred that will be the cause of my absence again, at the upcoming Armijo Springs gathering. frown

There just isn’t enough of me to go around. I already miss you all and wish the best of times for you!

Dang! We will miss you Bob.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sorry to hear that some of the valued friends can’t be there this year.

Put us down for the coffee (6 lbs of Folger's classic roast) as long as nobody wants decaf. The label says that amount of grounds will provide 400 cups (12 oz) of coffee. Does somebody have a BIG coffee maker? If black isn't OK, bring some condiments to suit your taste. Remember to pack your own coffee mug.

We are blessed with a few hard-working chickens. We will bring about two dozen eggs fresh from the coop, and 3 dozen from the grocery store, which should cover the egg needs for one of the breakfasts. Any youngster who wants can have blue / green eggs. The new coop is nearly finished, but the new birds are still wearing training bras, too young for egg production. They will go into the coop before we leave for Armijo Springs. Making their coop predator-proof has been challenging. We have coyotes, hawks, racoons, skunks, mountain lions, stray dogs and other assorted critters that would love a fresh chicken dinner. Judicious predator control as authorized by NM G & F with high velocity (EPA-friendly) methods has somewhat diminished their numbers in the past several years.

Niki is making 40 gluten-free brownies, which usually only serves one, but I will back off until everyone else has had a chance.

We will bring 2 folding tables, 4 chairs, two friendly dogs on leashes, a two-burner Coleman stove and a full water tank with the trailer. Due to space limitations I will bring only a small load of BS; although quality counts more here than quantity, it appears that the good stuff is history and I will just bring whatever is still around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc - thanks for your note and y the things you will be bringing - very helpful. I have noted those, but would appreciate your sending a PM to OWL to make sure he knows of the fresh eggs coming in for breakfast. Thanks.

We have zero trouble understanding your consumption of 40 brownies at a sitting - so, yes - please back away.

We also understand about the potency of your allegedly small load of BS - Darby had it assayed after Tonto. 99.44 % pure.

Lookin' forward to seein' ya - and especially Niki.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have been away from the Campfire most of the time in the last few months. I just found this thread and read it all the way through. As I read each entry, I could see all your faces, and hear your voices. Especially Bob (Kaywoodie), who has at least 5 or 6 distinctively different "voices". It makes me both happy and sad to read about the preparations. I know it will be another great gathering of fine folks.

Like Kaywoodie, many factors make it impossible for me to attend this year's Armijo Springs gathering. The time and distance for the trip from Northern California is one factor. My presence last year was possible because I was able to route my cross-country travels through New Mexico at the right time. I thoroughly enjoyed being with you all last summer. Seeing so many friends from my 3 Tonto Basin experiences was a real treat. And making new friends that don't make it to the Arizona gathering was well worth the effort to get there.

After some serious health issues in the early spring were successfully resolved, I recovered enough that that I felt capable of accepting part-time employment as a driver for a non-emergency medical transport company. I drive a large wheelchair van that provides transportation for seniors, mostly, to get them to Dr's appointments, cancer treatments, and kidney dialysis. I cover parts of 3 counties, and drive from 200 to 260 miles a day. The company is a first-class operation, the vans and equipment are first-rate and kept immaculate, and the family-run operation is one that I am proud to work with. The patients are almost all nice people, and very appreciative of our services.

Due to a shortage of qualified drivers, I have been working full-time, although my agreement with them is that I desire to work a set route for about 6 hours a day, 3 days a week. Once more drivers are onboard I intend to throttle back to part-time. I have promised my employers full-availability through the summer, but I told them on day one that I would be on vacation the last 2 weeks of February for my annual trip to Arizona for Tonto Basin, and to visit my family members in Phoenix and the elderly aunt in the dementia home in Tucson that I am responsible for.

Another factor is that my faithful RV that has become a bit of a landmark at Tonto Basin is loaned out to a family member as temporary housing, and not available to me for the time being. Many of you that can be there, can expect to see me and the RV at Tonto Basin next February, Lord willing.

I am sad to report that my dog, "Scout", passed away this spring at the age of 15, so she will not be making her usual appearance.
I had her since she was an 8-week-old pup, and she was a great traveling companion. She had logged over 50,000 miles in the RV, and had made all 4 Campfire gatherings with me. We still have 2 dogs at home now, but they are more my wife's dogs than mine. I freely admit to being a dog-lover.

My warmest regards to all of you. I look forward to reports of the activity and pictures. I am glad many kids will be there. I am truly sorry that I won't be. Everybody travel safe and have a wonderful time.

PS: Ask Judy what I said about Ken's shadow, on Facebook. Then if the sun is shining you can look at Ken and his shadow, and see if what I said isn't true! (Ha, Ha, Ken. I miss you guys. Stay healthy).

Milo

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dang!

Sorry to hear that bit of news, but it sounds like a lot of folks are depending on you to be "on the job".

We will look forward all the more to the next opportunity to see you.

I will lift a brownie in your honor. And maybe a cold beverage too.

Be well.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nifty-two-fifty,you're mean! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Gentlemen and Ladies,

After some serious health issues in the early spring were successfully resolved, I recovered enough that that I felt capable of accepting part-time employment as a driver for a non-emergency medical transport company. I drive a large wheelchair van that provides transportation for seniors, mostly, to get them to Dr's appointments, cancer treatments, and kidney dialysis. I cover parts of 3 counties, and drive from 200 to 260 miles a day. The company is a first-class operation, the vans and equipment are first-rate and kept immaculate, and the family-run operation is one that I am proud to work with. The patients are almost all nice people, and very appreciative of our services.

Due to a shortage of qualified drivers, I have been working full-time, although my agreement with them is that I desire to work a set route for about 6 hours a day, 3 days a week. Once more drivers are onboard I intend to throttle back to part-time. I have promised my employers full-availability through the summer, but I told them on day one that I would be on vacation the last 2 weeks of February for my annual trip to Arizona for Tonto Basin, and to visit my family members in Phoenix and the elderly aunt in the dementia home in Tucson that I am responsible for.

You are a good man. A Very Good Man.

I am sad to report that my dog, "Scout", passed away this spring at the age of 15, so she will not be making her usual appearance.
I had her since she was an 8-week-old pup, and she was a great traveling companion. She had logged over 50,000 miles in the RV, and had made all 4 Campfire gatherings with me. We still have 2 dogs at home now, but they are more my wife's dogs than mine. I freely admit to being a dog-lover.

Milo

We still have photos of Scout from the Tonto Basin. My daughters loved her. Thank you for those wonderful moments.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Tracy.
It was a pleasure meeting you and your family at Tonto Basin. You are a great Dad. Have a wonderful trip to New Mexico.
Milo

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I plan to be there around noon on the second. With the canopies and a big ice chest full of drinks. I can also bring paper towels and plastic eating implements, if still needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
I plan to be there around noon on the second. With the canopies and a big ice chest full of drinks. I can also bring paper towels and plastic eating implements, if still needed.

We will be looking for you on Thursday hitandmiss - some of us probably will be busily setting up at that time , but also might be just sitting under a tree.
- and bless you for the added offer.
We still do need paper towels and the plastic utensils as listed earlier. OK if we write you in for those? Thanks.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.