Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Baked goods are my downfall, especially cobblers. I am weak to that temptation.

Before I got married I lost 60 pounds. I did that by not entertaining temptation. If I don't buy it I only have to be tempted for a few seconds, if I buy it it is calling my name 24/7. The wife buys it than says, " Well don't eat it." , then leaves it on the counter or in the fridge.

That don't work too well for me.

Tell the wife to stop being so self-centered and stop buying that stuff. Really shameful on her part, knowing your condition

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by thardy
Just go Paleo or basic Atkins and stop listening to those folks.

Better to just go full Ketogenic. KetoCenteraol.com

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am a 58 year old type 2 diabetic with IBS. Overweight with my blood sugars a bit out of control. I also work in a medical department with a bunch of LPN's and RN's.

No matter what I eat someone is telling me that's not good for me for this or that reason. I can't live on dry salad because of the IBS. I can't live on a pure meat diet because of the diabetes and the fact that it's way too expensive. So the fruit I was eating, not good for me. The onions I love, not good for me for some reason. The green beans I eat, not good for me for some reason. On and on it goes.

Time to stop listening and do what I think is best. If it kills me in the end then so be it.

What med(s) are you on for your Type II?

Do you take them as directed?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
A forum populated by brain-dead bubba's may not be the best place to go for accurate health care info.

Yeah, but we can roll in each others misery...but seriously, some 'fire input has been quite helpful, go read the colon-exploration threads.

Diagnosed Type II about 18 months ago, been mostly Keto about 20 years, diet doctor told me to eliminate all red meat and only eat a few ounces of chicken and fish, eat lots of fruit, eliminate, butter, fat, oils, and rather than bacon and eggs, eat stir fried vegetables for breakfast.

I told her that ain't happening, go read "Eat the Yolk"

Women in the office tell me "don't eat that, don't drink that"......whatever, every few years some study or report states we should or should not put something in our mouth that contradicts a previous study or report or will contradict a future study or report.

Dave

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by thardy
Just go Paleo or basic Atkins and stop listening to those folks.

Better to just go full Ketogenic. [email protected]

All the above to eliminate crop foods and crop oils...but g'damn, buttered biscuits, white gravy, chickfried steak and Dorito's taste good.

Crop foods and crop oils are the devil for sure!

Dave

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Ignore all outside advice, especially from a bunch of innanet 'spurts. Listen to your doctor and/or nutritionist.

If you ignore THAT advice, you are on your own.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

I was diagnosed type II 18 months ago.
Followed nutritionist advice, actually ate pretty well...just differently, lost 92 pounds down to one pill ( metformin) a day...all numbers in the green zone.....
Its not a stretch at all if you are willing to try new things ( whole grain stuff, fruits instead of sweets, no basketball sized sticky buns with a latte for a snack anymore....etc...)

Congratulations on your self sufficiency, mind over matter.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Eat real food.
Eat less.
Move more.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Talk to your Doc about Viberzi for the IBS. Thank me later...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I am a 58 year old type 2 diabetic with IBS. Overweight with my blood sugars a bit out of control. I also work in a medical department with a bunch of LPN's and RN's.

No matter what I eat someone is telling me that's not good for me for this or that reason. I can't live on dry salad because of the IBS. I can't live on a pure meat diet because of the diabetes and the fact that it's way too expensive. So the fruit I was eating, not good for me. The onions I love, not good for me for some reason. The green beans I eat, not good for me for some reason. On and on it goes.

Time to stop listening and do what I think is best. If it kills me in the end then so be it.

P

Metaformin and glimepiride. The glimepride has been cut out these last few days because I seriously cut my carb intake. Blood sugars have been good these last few days.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

Followed nutritionist advice, actually ate pretty well...just differently, lost 92 pounds down to one pill ( metformin) a day...all numbers in the green zone.....
Its not a stretch at all if you are willing to try new things ( whole grain stuff, fruits instead of sweets, no basketball sized sticky buns with a latte for a snack anymore....etc...)

wow.
Good work, your Poobleishness.
I won't even recognize you next time.
Can we still go to that steak house?

Keep up the good work.

Slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Eat real food.
Eat less.
Move more.

Yes, something towards the Paleo lifestyle (it has to be every day) and moderate exercise year 'round.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Metaformin and glimepiride. The glimepride has been cut out these last few days because I seriously cut my carb intake. Blood sugars have been good these last few days.

Metformin is standard of care for initial therapy. Type II is a progressive disease, so you’ll need additional drugs eventually. Your doctor added glimepiride, a sulfonylurea. These drugs act by telling your pancreas to produce more insulin. The problem is, they never stop shouting at your pancreas, regardless of the level of glucose in your blood. If you skip lunch or are late for dinner you could experience dangerously low blood sugar, a condition called hypoglycemia. High blood sugar is bad, but frequent excursions into hypoglycemia is really, really dangerous.

Sulfonylureas are generic, that’s why they get used so much. They’re crap, though. You have much better options with regard to A1C lowering agents with a much lower potential for hypoglycemia. Some drugs, like dpp-4 inhibitors, act like glimepiride, but only when blood sugars get high, like after a meal. Other agents tell your kidneys to eliminate glucose into your urine, instead of recapturing into your bloodstream.

The point is, you have much better options. Ask your doctor why he chose glimepiride as the add-on agent instead of something else. Better yet, ask him why he’s not following the expert recommendations of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.

https://www.aace.com/files/aace_algorithm_slides.pptx

Notice that sulfonylureas (SU/GLN) are last on the list (dead last, every time, with a “use with caution” warning) of add-on agents.

So ask why, and pay attention to the answer. It’s your body.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Don't make excuses.

You can do it if you want.

This is the bottom line. Once you feel you are worth saving, you will make the conscious decision to save, rather than destroy yourself.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Eat real food.
Eat less.
Move more.

This plus.... CONGRATULATIONS Ingwe!

Being Diabetic has got to be frustrating. There are a long list of other illnesses however that only get worse overtime regardless of how well you eat or how much exercise you get.

I've met people that "Just threw in the towel" on the diet exercise attitude thing and then had terrible outcomes..... I've also known diabetic folks who live long and very full lives. I hope you are able to find a path that works for you.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As soon as the doctor told me there was trouble with my A1C, I started testing. I wasn't on any meds yet. I just had a bum reading. I went a week eating as I always had and testing twice a day. After seeing what was going on, I started removing stuff from my diet:

1) Cola drinks
2) French fries and mashed potatoes
3) Pancakes and syrup
4) Doughnuts and bagels
4) All forms of candy

I also started substituting things like nuts for all the other snacks I was eating, and I stopped eating those except when I was seriously in need.

What I found was that if I concentrated on the biggest offenders, I was able to make my glucose readings get more consistent and consistently lower. The doc put me on a low dose of Metformin, and I'm pretty much under control.

The next step was reducing my overall calorie intake so I could lose weight. 4-piece chicken dinners from Popeye's became 3 piece. I now order only two pieces. A 16 oz steak became an 8 oz steak.

The last things were the hardest to figure out. I'd dropped Cola out of my diet, but I still had a lemonade every evening. I started watering my lemonade and I went from 2 gallons a week to a gallon every 10 days. I would occasionally have pizza. I switched to a whole wheat crust. I kept pecking away at the edges.

I'm now a full 2 years on this regimen. Over time, my stomach shrank to the point where what had been a normal meal a year before was waaay too much. No muss. No fuss.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have a Facebook account, look up Dana Carpender, or "hold the toast". Also the website by that name, although it has pretty much been cobwebbed in favor of FB. Read her book and understand how and why simple,cheap carbs are a killer. It's a good read. But in the end, it will boil down to you making good decisions. 15 years on basic low carb here, dropped 70 lbs in 2003 and have kept 60 of them off.

Edit to add: name of the book is "how I gave up my low fat diet and lost 40 lbs." May be out of print but may be available on her FB account; I don't do FB so can't explore things there.

Last edited by shoot4fun; 06/22/18.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Losing weight and avoiding chronic medical issues has always been as simple as avoiding sugar, starch, and processed foods. That leaves everything that cavemen had available to them to eat, fish, fowl, meat, eggs, non-starchy vegetables. You can add to that butter, cream, whole raw milk, cheese, since these are animal sources of fat and protein, even if cavemen didn't know about them. Best to avoid fruit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Ignore all outside advice, especially from a bunch of innanet 'spurts. Listen to your doctor and/or nutritionist.

If you ignore THAT advice, you are on your own.

I'm sorry Rocky, but nutritionists gave us the Food Pyramid, and I've never met a GP that had a working understanding of nutrition.

Remember the nutritional advice from the medical world in the past? Things like:

Don't eat more than 2 eggs per week
Don't eat butter, eat margarine
Eat no more than 3 oz of animal protein a day
Most of your calories should come from carbs
Eat minimal fats.
Eat no more than a handful of nuts.

All that rubbish turns out to be the exact OPPOSITE of what a healthy human diet should look like. No, doctors should stick to what they do best, cutting and writing scripts. Nutritionists aren't much better. The stuff they spouted only 15 years ago was simply dangerous.

What works for weight loss works for diabetes. Eliminate carbs, move towards the Paleo / Keto diet, and yes, exercise more. Both the IBS and diabetes will be helped.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wageslave

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

wow.
Good work, your Poobleishness.
I won't even recognize you next time.
Can we still go to that steak house?

Keep up the good work.

Slave

Thank you guys for the compliments.

Yes we can still go to the steak house, I just have to skip the beer and dessert!

For those who care, my first German Shepherd died of diabetes, and the downward spiral was AWFUL...Made up my mind then if it ever came to my turn I'd do ANYTHING the Docs said...not as hard as you think.

For those who have met me, all I got to offer is an "after" photo...working a Dutch Shepherd

[Linked Image]

The only drawback I can say is that eating healthy ( fresh ingredients, no packaged crap) is labor intensive and time consuming....but worth it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.