Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for your reply Pappy.I love the Leupold STD mounts and have read where some say you bend a scope by adjusting the windage so I did a test a little over 1 month ago.
I took off the weaver rail on a T/C Venture and put on Leupold STD mounts on the other the 300 win mag.
I'm an old mechanic of over 30 years of working on most every kind of vehicle so I have a few tools some may not have.
I took the barreled action out of the stock and put it in a shooting/cleaning vise to hold it firmly.
I put a dial indicator base on the recoil lug and the dial on the front dovetail ring.I put a bit of oil on the dove tail as that what Leupold recommended and move it around a bit so it won't freeze up.,I lapped the rings well.
I centered the rings with aluminum dowls just for that purpose and installed the scope with fat wrench torqued to recommended limits.
I adjusted the windage screws and watched the front base move .003(3 thousandths).
Leupold said if any scope won't react to any adjustments the front dove tail may be bound up or frozen so remove scope and front ring and oil it and move it back and forth until it's easy to move then reinstall the scope.
Mine adjusted perfectly with .003 adjustment and when bore sighted it was just close to perfect.Just a tiny adjustment and it shoots close to 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards with my select handloads so I know the STD bases are as good as I need.Just my 2 cents

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What are these comparable to? Here's a few price points...

Bushnell banner? Trophy? Sightron SI? Redfield revolution? Sightron SII? Bushnell 3200? Leupold VX2?

What vortex scope?

Last edited by Crockettnj; 06/04/18.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Oh Pappy I forgot to add that the laser beam is above the center crosshairs and since the ocular bell is around 2 inches above the barrel the light beam should always be below the crosshairs.
I tried and can not get it below the crosshairs without being just 3 clicks from bottoming out.Way too much.
I have decided to get medium rings and try that and see where it is.Putting the crosshairs higher above the barrel bore.
Sounds right?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
QUIET!!!!!!!! There scopes are the best kept secret for us guys that been using them for a few years.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I understand you, the rifle is printing 4" above POA with the adjustments close to center. Doesn't matter where the laser beam is pointing, adjust the scope and go shoot something.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Crockettnj I find the Hawke Endurance scope a tad brighter than the Vortex Crossfire's I have mounted for friends.
With the lighted reticle it puts this scope in a whole different category.
Once I get mine mounted and shooting from the center of the ocular bell I will love it!
I'll keep posting to make sure everyone knows about the Hawke brand.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Pappy has 3 so he knows much more about them

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DropShot
Thanks for the replies.
I shot it today and it hits 4 inches high with close to center of adjustments.
I have many rifles and change scopes around from time to time but this rifle never wore a scope.
The bases are Leupold STD base and Leupold low rings.
I changed the Leupold VXlll LR 6.5-20X50 on another rifle the same day( 300 win mag) and all went well with that rifle and no method problems.
Last week I changed the Weaver 3-10X44 scope on a rifle I was not using much to a T/C Encore and had no method problems with that one either.Man that Encore 30/06 is super accurate.
Now with the Marlin I have a problem.
I'll switch this scope to another rifle and see if the same problem occurs,maybe the Browning BLR in 358 but it wears a Leupold 1.75-6 VXlll and is accurate with that scope.
I also have a Zeiss but its too much scope for a 45/70.
This year alone I have mounted 4 scopes for friends since I have more tools than they do and had no problems.
I have a Burris base and Z-rings somewhere I can try.
I also have medium rings I can try too.
Thanks guys.

Drop, at what range did it shoot 4 in. high?

Perry
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pappy 348 if you have three of these, as someone said, you must like them.

Do you have and do you like the Hawke Endurance in a 3x9?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 3x9 and like it alot, wish the eye relief was 4 " instead of 4.5. I'm tall and lean so i climb into the stock a bit. I may order one of the new WA endurance with 4" eye relief and 30mm tube.

Last edited by TBS; 06/18/18.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TBS
I have the 3x9 and like it alot, wish the eye relief was 4 " instead of 4.5. I'm tall and lean so i climb into the stock a bit. I may order one of the new WA endurance with 4" eye relief and 30mm tube.

Thanks...I saw that eye relief is still good for my coke bottle glasses!

What rifle is yours on?

Last edited by ingwe; 06/18/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mines on Rem 700 LH long action 30-06 in a HS precision stock with 13 1/2" length of pull. I had to take my rear weaver base and slide it forward so it over hangs the action load/eject port and is connected to rifle with just 1 screw and lots of lock tight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pappy 348 if you have three of these, as someone said, you must like them.

Do you have and do you like the Hawke Endurance in a 3x9?

Sorry Tom, I was off the grid for a while and missed this.

Yup, I have a 3-9 with the .308/.223 (or .223/.308, whatever) Marksman reticle mounted on a Hawkeye AW .223. So far, I've only sighted it in and shot a few groups, but I do like it. I decided to zero it at 100 with Fiocchi 40gr Vmaxes. According to the Hawke app, the 200 yard point should be on at 229 and the 300 point at 341, assuming 3600 fps for the ammo. That can be tweaked somewhat using the power ring like is done with a crossbow scope, but it's fine as is for me. Assuming they hold up, I think these scopes are worth the regular asking price, and at $129, are a steal. The 30mm 8x56 has a quality feel to it, even a bit better than the 1", if you don't mind the weight.

BTW that Fiocchi load is good stuff too. I put the last 5 in just over 1/2" with the Ruger, and the chuck my son shot with it last year at 225 yards was 'sploded pretty well. It can be had on sale for about $22 for 50, sometimes a bit less.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK thanks!

I think I'll pull the trigger on one...so to speak...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried the 2-7 out yet?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Have you tried the 2-7 out yet?

Only at the range...I put it on a Ruger #1 in .222 because of the generous eye relief, plus, I occasionally shoot pigs with it...and sometimes they get shot at night and I really like the illum crosshairs for that!

I prefer the crosshairs to a dot for night predator hunting cause you often have two red dots ( eyes) bobbing at you through the scope, usually in a red light and one more dot bobbing around can get a tad confusing in a hurry...not so with the crosshairs ..

I'll stick that 3x9 on something and use it this winter on predators...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's atop my CZ Grendle. No action yet, but it's about perfect for a woods-walker rig.

So far, no issues with the clicks with any of them. A click on the scope has yielded the correct results on paper.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Mine's atop my CZ Grendle. No action yet, but it's about perfect for a woods-walker rig.

So far, no issues with the clicks with any of them. A click on the scope has yielded the correct results on paper.

Yep, my 2x7 came right in...and Ive put a couple hundred rounds under it...granted, no big deal with a .222

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They ain't all gotta take a .458.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
For Pappy and Spud I'm sorry for the delay but I wanted to make sure.
Health problems kept me from the shooting range.
The first time I shot with this scope I was 4 inches high at 100 yards but soon I found out I was not even half way to center of scope as someone else counted his clicks and I wasn't even close to center.
I pushed a little harder and counted clicks and went 1/2 way for elevation and was almost 20 inches high at 100 yards.
The measure of a company is not how cheap they can sell you a product but how they help you when there is a problem.
Doug at Cameraland had me call Hawke and they said to send it in to them for inspection.
I put a Leupold vxll 2-7x33 I keep as an extra and right away it aimed 1 3/4 of an inch below the crosshairs of the Leupold scope on same rifle.Marlin 45/70 lever action.So the scope has a problem,not methods or mistakes.
I may just keep the Leupold scope on the Marlin 45/70 and when the Hawke comes back I may just keep it as a backup scope.
Something will come one day and I will have a scope to put on it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (66Block, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 19 invisible), 1,098 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.