Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I never made a case for recovering money that went to customizing a firearm. A used 1911 that has been tuned so well it almost shoots itself is worth the price of a box stock used 1911...unless you get lucky and find a guy who wants those exact accurizing changes you paid for and is willing to pay for them. I never even tried to sell a customized firearm. I would never get back what I put in to it. That's just the way it goes. I was referring to factory original, barely used safe-queen rated gear, that folks on here are not willing to pay 75% or even 70% of the price I bought it for. I got tired of giving my gear away. So, I pretty much stopped selling anything and if I need to fund a new toy, I just take a little longer and build my slush fund back up until I can pay cash and not have to sell any of my other gear.

One thing that needs to be considered is that people also factor risk into shopping online. In the 24hourcampfire (and most places), the buyer has to send money to the seller while the seller gets to sit and wait. Eventually, the seller has the product and the money. Then the seller has to package the item. Is some instances its pretty clear that the seller was happy he got the money and did a crap job of packaging, and the item shows up damages. Then some sellers want to say it was fine when I shipped it... no responsibility to the buyer.

To summarize, the buyer takes the risk of fraud (theft), poor packaging damages during shipping, and the long wait for the product. If there is not a good discount, why would anyone not just go buy it at the store. It takes more than 20% to get me to take the risks.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oakster
I never made a case for recovering money that went to customizing a firearm. A used 1911 that has been tuned so well it almost shoots itself is worth the price of a box stock used 1911...unless you get lucky and find a guy who wants those exact accurizing changes you paid for and is willing to pay for them. I never even tried to sell a customized firearm. I would never get back what I put in to it. That's just the way it goes. I was referring to factory original, barely used safe-queen rated gear, that folks on here are not willing to pay 75% or even 70% of the price I bought it for. I got tired of giving my gear away. So, I pretty much stopped selling anything and if I need to fund a new toy, I just take a little longer and build my slush fund back up until I can pay cash and not have to sell any of my other gear.

One thing that needs to be considered is that people also factor risk into shopping online. In the 24hourcampfire (and most places), the buyer has to send money to the seller while the seller gets to sit and wait. Eventually, the seller has the product and the money. Then the seller has to package the item. Is some instances its pretty clear that the seller was happy he got the money and did a crap job of packaging, and the item shows up damages. Then some sellers want to say it was fine when I shipped it... no responsibility to the buyer.

To summarize, the buyer takes the risk of fraud (theft), poor packaging damages during shipping, and the long wait for the product. If there is not a good discount, why would anyone not just go buy it at the store. It takes more than 20% to get me to take the risks.

I never start at 80% of what I can determine is current market value. I almost always start at 65% and hope someone will bid it up to 70%. I have solid feedback on Gunbroker and eBay as a fast shipper and a super packer. Thankfully, nothing I have sold and shipped has ever been damaged. However, I have received very expensive scopes packed loose in a damned box. VERY fortunately they were not damaged.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s hard to get money out of USPS if you have damage.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's hard to get money out of any of the carriers even if the item was insured. I had a shotgun delivered some years back that I purchased off of Gunbroker. The box was dented and had a hole in the middle of the dent. Obviously something hard and pointed had hit the box my shotgun came in. The stock was broken at the wrist of the butt stock. I filed a claim but never received any compensation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I’m fixing to post a bunch of rifles at the magic 60% and see if they sell. If not I’ll take them to Whittakers and just take what Darrik gives me. Which might be the 60%...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run/bump breakfast lunch and dinner forever. but dont list it "Like New" close to new" New in box lightly fired proper break in " As New Light rust " Was new 1000 rounds ago No [bleep] lol and so on.

Go Ducks!!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If you price it right, it won’t be on there long!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hanco
If you price it right, it won’t be on there long!

I disagree. If the price is a steal, it won't be there long. If the price is reasonable, it may go right away, or could take awhile depending. As others have said, the classifieds is very active and threads bury quickly. It could take a month for the right buyer to see the item. Also, the longer an item is listed, or the more bumps, the more buyers may anticipate a drop in price. If the price is reasonable (subjective to a degree, but not really hard to determine), there is no reason to lower the price other than impatience or necessity. Of course, every case is unique.

Here's an example of a rifle I sold: FS: Browning 71 Carbine .348 Winchester

Pics are gone, but suffice it to say the rifle was in fine condition with minor scuffs here and there.

Indeed, the fact that the classifieds are so active means a lot of eyes "can" see the item, but requires more bumps if the right eyes don't see it sooner rather than later.

The rifle listed on 9/22/16, sold on 10/10/16

A comment following the sale:

Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
Sold?
Watch 24Hcf everyday..how did I miss this?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two stainless Tikkas I’m going to put up for sale (270 Superlite and 25-06 lite), but in watching the classifieds over the last couple of weeks, most of the Tikkas priced reasonably have just not sold, even with the announced MAP price enforcement/higher prices.

It gets to the point where people feel they are just giving them away, and most chose to just keep them and remove them from sale, so I’ve been holding off from listing them.

Though the gun market overall is terribly soft, great rifles like these which are now selling for over $700 new, should be gone quickly for the $500-600 asking price I’ve seen them in the classifieds for recently. Not exactly sure why.

Craig

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 06/28/18.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
...It gets to the point where people feel they are just giving them away, and most chose to just keep them and remove them from sale, so I’ve been holding off from listing them.

Craig

That's what I do...or go to Gunbroker. I have sold quite a few rifles and handguns on Gunbroker that didn't even get any comments or questions on classifieds here. If I can't sell it for a reasonable price I keep it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
...It gets to the point where people feel they are just giving them away, and most chose to just keep them and remove them from sale, so I’ve been holding off from listing them.

Craig

That's what I do...or go to Gunbroker. I have sold quite a few rifles and handguns on Gunbroker that didn't even get any comments or questions on classifieds here. If I can't sell it for a reasonable price I keep it.

Gun Broker Is weak, outrageous seller fees ,also its turned into ebay most are buy it now, and if its a new gun can get it at local shop cheaper with no wait or damaged from piss poor packaging

Go Ducks!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When I advertise I don't use a buy-it-now. There are no hidden fees. The buyer pays the auction price and the actual shipping fees. They pay their own FFL fees as do I. I over pack, often spending enough on packing materials (bubble wrap, new box, packing tape, etc...) that it eats a little bit of the purchase price up. I don't charge the buyers for my time or for the packing material, only what the USPS will ship it for insured (mandatory - stated in the auction). I'm not there to compete with pawn shops and other large volume dealers. I can and do charge less than they do for a comparable firearm. I have 100% feed back, and that does help. I check feedback before I consider buying from someone and I check feedback on each bidder if I'm selling.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 1234, 1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 75 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,650
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.