Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CJWinWA
For over thirty years I used Zeiss and a variety of other brands that were supposedly better than Leupold. I used whatever Nikon was selling at the moment as their high end model when I wanted an economical scope. A few years ago I bought my first Leupold scope and have been extremely happy since. I'm now up to 10 or so Leupold rifle scopes and one Gold Ring spotting scope with zero issues, and incredible customer service.

I live in Beaverton, the home of Leupold, and have had a couple opportunities to sit down with Leupold technical guys and have asked about some of the issues I read about on this and other forums. They were able to explain things to me in a way that my non engineering background brain could understand, and I came to realize most of these "issues" are not really issues but perceived issues on the part of some people.

I also have had opportunity over the years to talk with a fair number of people who work at Leupold making the scopes, and I've never heard any of them complain about how the company treats them, and in today's world, that means a great deal to me.

It wasn't until late middle age that I turned to Leupold products, but I am very happy with them. They may not be perfect, and some of their stuff may not be the absolute best in a category, but on average it is good stuff that outperforms the vast majority of those who are using it.

Welcome to the Fire.

Most contributors are cordial, but.... blush

laugh

DF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold all my Leupolds as simply don't have confidence in them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Sold all my Leupolds as simply don't have confidence in them.

FOst, what scopes are you using these days?

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Although I'm sure they are still quite successful, I think their perceived value has went down. They just haven't kept pace with their competitors. I also think putting the CDS option on the VX2/VX3 lines was a huge mistake. I'm sure it sold a ton of scopes initially but I bet they've seen a ton of warranty work for tracking issues. Then there's all the bashing the Leupold receives after their product didn't track well. I thought the VX2/VX3 were a good set it and forget it scope in the $200-350 range but not at regular prices

Last edited by TxHunter80; 06/30/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that the rising popularity of LR shooting caught Leupold napping at the beginning of the last decade and they did not respond to the rising demand for true tracking in a timely manner. IMO that's where they began to lose market.

As far as quality issues go, I'm not sure what to believe. I've used everything from Vari-X IIs to VX-5HD and never had to send anything back for repair, and that includes the five or six of the VX-3i persuasion in the safe right now. The tracking issues have always been sporadic and a bit irritating, but once I sight in I don't mess with them unless I change up loads or something. It WOULD be nice to see true tracking, and I think that if they address that issue effectively and soon, AND offer more useful reticles for different purposes, they'll stay right there on top.

But what do I know...I'm just a guy who shoots and hunts a bit.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I think that the rising popularity of LR shooting caught Leupold napping at the beginning of the last decade and they did not respond to the rising demand for true tracking in a timely manner. IMO that's where they began to lose market.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I still like them for set-and-forget - uhhhh, once they're finally set.
That said, just this past week another one of my set-and-forgets set sail for the mothership with an erector issue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
They're a $100M/yr company. I doubt they give a crap about the 24HCF's opinion of them. Just a guess.

John, I agree to a point. Like you, I’ve owned more than a safe full of $1000 dollar Leupold scopes. They’ve all been good to me, so far. But, living in the land of Leupold country and knowing people who’ve retired from Leupold after 25 years of service.

They aren’t the same company after several years of new management have driven towards cost and bottom line margins versus rugged builds. They have nice clear glass, especially on their higher end VX6 lineup that is very nice for hunting horns after you’ve put eyes on animals at a distance with binocs...

I have started buying the Bushnell LRHSi scopes. I’m adding Kenton turrets to mine since I’m a cds user and have never claimed to be worth a schit at twisting knobs...Many, many animals have hit the dirt through my Leupold glass. I’m not bashing on them...It’s sadly the way of the corporate mental midgets who only crunch numbers and don’t think about hard hunting and scope users of today who are dialing yards for LR shooting...I still have confidence in my Leupold variables where I set its zero at 3” high and go kill schit. But for twisting, I would look elsewhere too...JMHO 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're a $100M/yr company. I doubt they give a crap about the 24HCF's opinion of them. Just a guess.

They are no longer number one and no longer in the 100M range. Another company is now way ahead by that metric...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The two VX-2 3-9s I've fiddled with in the last year both had adjustment issues that worked out with a bit of twirling and settled in finally. One's on my son's ML, so I don't know how it's faired since I got it sighted in. The other is on a .270 Mauser and only has maybe 30 rounds on it, but the rifle was grouping well. The VX-3i 3.5-10 and VX-5 HD 2-10x42 (dual springs) were dialed right in without issue. They're very nice scopes, and if they hold up they'll also be good scopes.

Meanwhile, a Tract Tekoa 3-12x42 (spring type unknown, etched reticle, $400), a Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12 AO (spring type unknown, $131), a Hawke Endurance 2-7 (single leaf, $100), a Hawke Endurance 3-9 (single leaf, $130), a Hawke Endurance 30mm 8x56 (coil spring, $200), and an SS 6x42 all worked perfectly from the get go. All prices except on the SS were heavily discounted. The Hawkes all have illuminated, etched glass reticles and fine positive clicks. The 8x56, to my eyes, looks especially like a quality piece of kit, though I've not compared it side by side with others for image quality.

Point being, there's really no excuse for any erector problems Leupolds may have. Whatever they've done, it's deliberate and with full knowledge of the results. Possibly, as Doug hinted at, they're quietly taking action to improve things. Don't need anything right now, so I can wait and see.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You've stated that before Sitka. Let's see your source.

Beaver, can't argue with any of that. I really like my LRHS and LRHSi too. Too bad that Leupy has headed that direction.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We bought Lyman's scopes. They were right here where we live and we know the people that own it. Also Lyman made the Supertargetspot which most of us used.

The Weaver was a cheap one that nobody wanted for serious shooting.

Unertl made a good one for target.

Nobody heard of leupold then.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Beaver, can't argue with any of that. I really like my LRHS and LRHSi too. Too bad that Leupy has headed that direction.

Not hard really... Google is your friend...

https://govtribe.com/vendor/sheltered-wings-inc-middleton-wi-dba-vortex-optics

Size $227M annual revenue / 200 employee(s)

Note that last year their gross sales were on par with a declining Leupold...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and it was announced at the NRA show last year that they had overtaken Leupold. I doubt Leupold can see their taillights any more...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And that should answer the OP's question... no they are not "slowly" losing their foothold...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just got the new G&A out of my mailbox. Had a "review" of a VX-Freedom, which the writer used atop a TC Compass in NZ.

He spent a lot of print relating how they keep the costs down, but not a single word on accuracy of the adjustments, not even the dreaded box test, only that he "never had a problem" zeroing it (that would be an improvement over my last two VX-2s). It worked well enough to take a tahr, a stag, and a goat, according to a second article on the Compass.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Thanks for the link. Good to know they've grown so rapidly in spite of the fact that 95% of their products comparatively suck.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Is Leupold losing a chunk of the market when it comes to scopes north of 8 or 9 hundred bucks? Is the internet to blame?

its not the internet, its that other companies are building just as good or better rifle scopes while Leupold has largely rested on its laurels.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

$100M a year is a small company by today's standards.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Thanks for the link. Good to know they've grown so rapidly in spite of the fact that 95% of their products comparatively suck.
Not only that they're comparatively heavy and bulky too. I can buy them at a big discount direct from Vortex but I haven't bought any.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yeah but vortex makes junk too. I tested 2 brand new off the shelf PST 2's and both had right reticle movement with elevation. AKA reticle cant. I might trust leupold actually more than vortex, if I am buying a set it and forget it scope, give me a leupold over a vortex. they maintain high resale value. Vortex changes models often and blows out the old models leaving you with old stuff and terrible resale value.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,227
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.