Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 63 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 62 63
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks MM. It's the most uniform brass I've ever seen. Fully prepped, damn I think I'm going to like it. I've used a lot of Norma, but this Lapua seems to be a notch above that. I'm glad the gal at the gunshop still had it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As I said the other day, I am going to post these results. No matter how bad they are. This was shot with my new AR10T and thrown together handload, consisting of new WW brass, old 165gr. Hornady btsp interlocks, 43gr. RL15, CCI200 primers and a book suggested OAL. Usually not the way I roll, but it is what it is. I will eventually get some better matchgrade or more aerodynamic (at least) pills for shooting groups and re-submitting results. I was just tickled pink that the rifle shot this well with these non worked up loads. This was its first outing and I was more concerned with function, next we'll work on an accurate load. I have some Lapua brass lined up and ready to go for that venture... As for now, here are the results from the other day. Oh by the way, I had to let the target dry out first before I could write on it for the info. Here's info on the gun:

Armalite AR10T
PRS stock
Magpul K2+ grip
ambidextrous safety
Armaspec enhanced magazine release button
Armaspec enhanced trigger guard
20" stainless target barrel with target crown
adjustable bi-pod
Armalite National Match trigger
Scope was a Burris AR556, that I stole off of my Noveske AR15
Burris P.E.P.R mount

Will have a BAD lever on it later today.
Ordered and will install ambi charging handle made by Griffin Armament (SNACH)

Rifle:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dried out target. Sorry it is torn up, the paper was wet and the backer board I used was garbage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Shooting distance was 100 yards. Used bi-pod and rear bag.
[Linked Image]

When the weather is good, get out and shoot!!!!!!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Recently I purchased a set of Whidden Dies for my 223 Service Rifle and finally had a chance to see if my accuracy is any better. I am happy with the results.

The rifle is a White Oak Upper with the 1-8 Shilen barrel, Geissele rail and scope mount, Night Force 4.5 power scope, I built the lower with an AeroPrecision lower, Geissele trigger and UBR stock.

16 shots from prone with a sling at 100 yards.1.33” group. Dropped zero points

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Glad to see someone's out there shooting. Next time out, shoot 2 10 shot groups side by side, show a pic of the rifle on the ground on bags or bi pod (if shooting prone) etc. From the looks of your target, you will do pretty good. Nice shooting.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I't been so hot here I haven't done much shooting except for pistols (shoot in the shade). This week though I plan to run my new 10.5" upper through the challenge. I have heard good things about the Ballistic Advantage/Aero barrels so we will see how it performs with some 69gr FGMM. After all, short barrels aren't accurate ya know. wink

I just hope it's half as good as those nitrided barrels Ruger is using in their MPR. grin

[Linked Image]AR15 10.5 by X Ring, on Flickr

Last edited by wareagle700; 07/01/18.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. Whose stock is that?

I've got a BA barrel on a recent build........16" fluted stainless. Haven't shot it a lot yet, but it looks promising.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle. Good luck in the black rifle challenge wareagle. Good to see this one open back up. I primed 300 308 cases the other day. Getting ready to start shooting my ar10 more this summer. Gave up on buying an original Armalite handguard (didn't want to wait another 2-5 months) and bought a 15" UTG. It's pretty comfortable and cuts down on weight vs the original.
[Linked Image]

The other day, I was messing with some loads. This is not a submission, but it shows how it shoots 3 different loads. Average 1.6 moa:
[Linked Image]

I was just messing around and ran low on ammo, but this is what I had left and wanted to throw out some 10 shot groups. Next time out will be better, I hope!!!!! blush.. I've also changed out the trigger. Wanted something a little lighter, so I bought a RRA varmint match for $79.99 and polished it out a bit. It always seems like the first stage is gritty, but after you polish it a bit, it become so much nicer...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Very nice. Whose stock is that?

It's one of those pistol braces by SB Tactical, the SBA3. I was on the fence about doing the SBR paperwork or going with a brace for a pistol. This particular one made it an easy decision as its adustable just like a carbine stock and uses a milspec carbine receiver extension. When shouldered, you can't tell its not a carbine stock.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot my PSA in 6.5 CM today. I think it's capable of shooting well, but I need to get it feeding reliably. Think it's over-gassed, ejecting at 1-2 o'clock, and about 1 in 3 not ejecting.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Had to google Whidden dies, I've heard the name Whidden somewhere before though.

Looks like top line dies. Probably more BR type or LR type stuff than just normal loading for sure.

Nice to know folks are still out there doing custom work!

NICE shooting too!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
John Whidden has won a couple of long range championships and his products are held in high regard.

I learned long ago you cannot buy points in high power however it is nice to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Loaded 602 rounds yesterday on a Redding turret press including all the brass prep and weighed powder all my 300 and 600 yard ammo. It was a loooong day.

Ready for Atterbury and Perry.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Shot my PSA in 6.5 CM today. I think it's capable of shooting well, but I need to get it feeding reliably. Think it's over-gassed, ejecting at 1-2 o'clock, and about 1 in 3 not ejecting.

Tex, does it have a heavy duty extractor spring Too? Maybe a heavier buffer or adjustable gas block would help.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, it has an adjustable gas block, but forgot the wrench blush

It has two ejectors, but I am also going to check the extractor spring.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Should be damn fun when you get the bugs worked out. Keep us posted on how she shoots. I was eyeballing the psa10, before I found my armalite.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mike70560
John Whidden has won a couple of long range championships and his products are held in high regard.

I learned long ago you cannot buy points in high power however it is nice to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Loaded 602 rounds yesterday on a Redding turret press including all the brass prep and weighed powder all my 300 and 600 yard ammo. It was a loooong day.

Ready for Atterbury and Perry.

Those that say you can't buy points lie. IE I wobble enough... I can make better ammo that helps me quicker than I can make myself wobble less... I guarantee .5 moa ammo gives you a better score than 2 moa ammo does. Even 1 moa.

Plus as you note, no need to wonder the fault of the shto... it was you at this point.

I always put the most work into 300 yard ammo. You loose the most the fastest there. At 600 you only loose it one shot at a time. At 300 you loose or gain 10 at a time and its much less forgiving than 200

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not exactly the results I was hoping for but not completely dissatisfied for a $140 10.5" barrel, I think a scope mount that would give me more eye relief and a match trigger would have helped a little. I may keep playing with it but this isn't necessarily a "precision" setup, just curious what it could do.

Barrel:
10.5" Aero Precision Barrel

Ammo:
69gr Federal Match

Optic:
Nghtforce 3.5-15x50 F1
Seekins rings / Badger Riser

Results: 1.811 MOA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beauty man. Not bad, considering the barrel length and cost of barrel. Not too shabby...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3. tex_n_cal: .783 MOA:
Armalite 20" heavy barrel
16x SS SWFA
77TMK

I should really drag out that Armalite again, and try it with Bergers, which have shot better than the TMK's in other rifles.

And the 6½ Creed has done pretty well with factory loads, about time to start loading for it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keep us posted on the creed. I may just turn my ar10 into one. Just bought a bolt action cm yesterday.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Not exactly the results I was hoping for but not completely dissatisfied for a $140 10.5" barrel, I think a scope mount that would give me more eye relief and a match trigger would have helped a little. I may keep playing with it but this isn't necessarily a "precision" setup, just curious what it could do.

Barrel:
10.5" Aero Precision Barrel

Ammo:
69gr Federal Match

Optic:
Nghtforce 3.5-15x50 F1
Seekins rings / Badger Riser

Results: 1.811 MOA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think that is very respectable considering the light weight, short bipod distance, and a brace.

Page 45 of 63 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,036
Posts18,481,953
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.