J
jr03 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
OK... I'm sure it's been ask before!

First time bedding a stock!

I bedded my Boyd's stock on my Remington model 7 (Stainless .260) using the Miles Gilbert brand and I DID use the release agent very generously on all actions parts and barrel. I let it cure 24 hours and now she's STUCK!!! Action screws are fine no problem there they came right out.

Should I just shoot the rifle and see how it turns out or what should I try to get it to free up?

Thanks for all your Help!!!

GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Get more aggressive, or maybe let somebody else do it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess it's stuck at the recoil lug.You can hold it at the forearm and hit the barrel with a rubber mallet to see it you can pop it loose or some say you can stick it in a freezer and then try to pop it loose.

Last edited by baldhunter; 07/05/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bigger hammer.

Kidding. I had a similar experience once with a Mauser. I used a couple junk action screws and threaded them part way in, then whacked the screw heads alternating between the two until the action broke free. I'm not necessarily recommending that for fear of damaging threads, but desperate times call for desperate measures. If all the finish work were completed on the exterior of the stock and the metal I would be tempted to just leave it the hell alone.

I walked in on a guy once who had neglected application of release agent. He was swearing a blue streak as he raised the hatchet for another swipe at the stock.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two ways I've broken them loose. Hold the stock fore end horizontal with one end on a work bench or something that will keep it from flying off into space and the barrel below. Tap the barrel with a rubber mallet, progressively more aggressively until you aren't comfortable. Usually, it will pop out in a couple whacks or slightly more.

The other way- if you have a freezer large enough, place in the freezer for at least a couple hours. Take it out and use the method above. Should come out pretty quickly in just a couple whacks.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I walked in on a guy once who had neglected application of release agent. He was swearing a blue streak as he raised the hatchet for another swipe at the stock.

Man o Manischewitz, that would ruin your day!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Put it in the deep freeze for a day and when you bang that barrel onto the bench, REALLY bang that barrel onto the bench. Give it hell.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every once in a while you find a mechanical lock that you overlooked. First try is the travisdeflave method which usually works for me without the deep freeze. Put a clean old towel on the bench. Once I fitted a rod in the action and hammered through the magazine well, and hard, the only bugger that stuck on me like that. IIRC reverse taper on the (Mauser) recoil lug.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sheister
Two ways I've broken them loose. Hold the stock fore end horizontal with one end on a work bench or something that will keep it from flying off into space and the barrel below. Tap the barrel with a rubber mallet, progressively more aggressively until you aren't comfortable. Usually, it will pop out in a couple whacks or slightly more.

Bob
Exactly what I do.. Works very well...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have removed about 15 of these from men who have been in the same "spot"

Here's how I do it:
If the screws are stuck (yours are not, so skip this part) take a round piece of steel and heat it to red heat and put it against the screw head until it cools below red, and reheat, do it again and again and so on until you have heated the screw up enough to make it let go. It takes about 6 heats to do it to a Mauser screw as a rule. Try about 4 times and then use the screwdriver. if it's still stuck keep doing it.

ALL screws will heat enough to let go if you do this enough times.

Now go dig a trench in the dirt about 6" deep and about 4" longer then your rifle. Get about 5 pounds of dry ice and break it into pieces about the size of small eggs. Put 1/2 of the dry ice in the trench and lay your gun on top and push it into the layer a bit. Cover the barrel and action with the rest of the dry ice.

Now go away for about 5 minutes.

Come back with a hammer handle, or any good heavy hardwood stick, and have on a set of welding gloves or good leather work gloves. (Note: That detail is important if you don't want to stick to the gun) Dig the rifle out of the bed of dry ice and the metal will be about -60 degrees. That contracts the metal a few thousandths. Turn it upside down, holding onto it around the action and hit the bottom of the barrel sharply with the hammer handle about 2" in front of the forend tip.

This has worked for me within 2 hits on every single gun I have had to get out of a glass bed that was stuck. Including one on a M700 where the kid didn't use ANY release agent. (they should read the directions first, but some men don't and a lot of teenagers don't)

In most cases the barreled action falls out fairly easily when it's 60 to 75 below zero.

Last edited by szihn; 07/05/18.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1 on the dry ice trick. My freezer is not big enough for a barreled action so I used a similar method lately. I also made a wedge type tool by cutting an empty 50 BMG cartridge at an angle, about 30degrees from vertical, and sharpening the edge. The open side slips over the barrel and between the barrel and stock making a non-marring wedge.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
To remove any barreled action from the stock, I always do it this way:
With the rifIe right-side-up I rest the barrel, at the muzzle end, on a low bench or shelf. The toe of the stock rests on the floor. Then I grasp the forend and simply press downward until the barreled action pops out. If the action does not come loose, I heat up a mandrel with the torch until it's hot enough to sizzle then slip it into the action, wait a minute, then try again. If it still doesn't come out, I declare it "really stuck" and move on to advanced techniques. Not necessary in your case, I'm sure. GD

J
jr03 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Sheister trick done the job!!!!!

Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jr03
Sheister trick done the job!!!!!

Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great. It sounds like you had a good day!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Works every time....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If you expoxy bed another rifle, put a piece of packing tape on the FRONT, SIDES, and BOTTOM of the recoil lug, then apply release agent ( 2x) especially on the REAR of the recoil lug (apply release agent on the taped surfaces too). The tape on front/side/bottom of lug provides clearance between expoxy and lug/stock for ease of removal. You are most concerned with the REAR of the recoil lug and the stock/action area.

Last edited by buttstock; 08/07/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put a couple 2 x 4's parallel to one another on a bench to support the upper flats of the stock and suspend the upside down action and barrel just clear of any support. Next a stout hardwood dowel shaped and inserted into the action/chamber with impact applied through the magazine well via a wood block and hammer.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/07/18.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,627
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.