Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I want my bolt locked down when I put my bolt action rifle on safe. Why is it manufactures make rifles that do not lock the bolt down when the safety is on? Is it really a lawyer thing? It keeps me from buying rifles that won't lock the bolt down.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ok

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Three-position is my preference, but doesn't drive my choice in rifles, just another raisin in the cookie.

Be glad when hunting season gets here and stops all the introspection.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why? As long as the trigger is safe I couldn’t care less whether the bolt is locked. That feature doesn’t even rate a consideration to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had brush flip a bolt open, and others have supposedly lost bolts that way. I also prefer being able to unload the chamber with the trigger or striker blocked. Lastly, I prefer the Mauser-like safeties that lift the striker off the trigger rather than just block it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is so you can unload an unfired round with the rifle in a safe condition. Some mfgs lock the trigger, some the firing pin, and some the bolt as well as one of the others. Sounds like you found the solution.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I prefer the bolt locked <because> I was used to it before it became an issue.

I've never had anything to raise the handle ***MUCH LESS*** drag the bolt OUT. I'm not sure that's possible. I don't think I've ever handled a rifle that did not have 'some' bolt release to prevent the bolt coming out of the action.

I have both kinds of rifles today and it's not that big of a deal to me but I prefer the bolt to lock on safe.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a NULA two p[osition three funtion safety from Brownell's for my Rem 660. It works great.

www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/remington-600-700-3-function-safety-prod13788.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=Remington

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I want my bolt locked down when I put my bolt action rifle on safe. Why is it manufactures make rifles that do not lock the bolt down when the safety is on? Is it really a lawyer thing? It keeps me from buying rifles that won't lock the bolt down.

I'm exactly opposite and HATE the lock down feature.

I forgot one time and stripped the locking pin part way off of a Savage 340.

Like someone said, not locking the bolt allows you to unload the chamber while the safety is on, rather than doing it with a live round in a cocked chamber with the safety set on fire.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Okanagan,

Unloading the chamber is the reason so many companies use 2-position safeties that don't lock down the bolt: They can get sued if the safety has to be off to cycle the bolt, and somebody inadvertently pulls the trigger while they're running rounds through the chamber during unloading. (I've never understood why so many shooters feel they need to chamber every round, all the way, when unloading a rifle, but many do.)

The other factor is that 3-position safeties are more expensive than 2-position safeties,

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
To me, the issue of whether or not a safety incorporates a bolt lock feature and the issue of failure of the bolt stop (resulting in a lost bolt) arerelated but separate (mostly). Ilike safeties which directly lock the striker back and don't really care whether or not they lock the bolt down. Bolt stops which have to be pulled out to release the bolt are less likely to be tripped accidently than are stops which are pushed to release. One of the best but somewhat intricate safety mechanisms is the one on the Lee Enfield. The P14 safety is even better. Rugged, with a super-strong bolt lock.
Bolt stops like the Mauser, P14, and Springfield are ulikely to ever drop a bolt. Again, the Lee Enfield system is pretty foolproof. In the end, I've never lost a bolt and never had the safety disengaged by accident. Kind of a non-issue, I guess. GD

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hence Weatherby Mark V rifles are my first choice. Bolt locked on safe, sear disengaged, easy to manipulate with gloves, quiet, very hard to inadvertently knock off safe to fire. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It is a lawyer thing. They don’t want to get sued when some mental giant flips the safety off and touches off a round when unloading the rifle. I’ve had the bolt come open multiple times on rifles that don’t lock the bolt. I’ve never lost a bolt but can see how it could happen on a rifle with a cheesy bolt stop like Remingtons.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like it locked closed too. I guess my rifles are about half and half

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one of the early Remingtons which locked the bolt when the safety was on. I then modified the safety so it no longer locked the bolt. Have never dropped a bolt out of a rifle with this system. There are different systems out there, you will just have to buy one that works the way you like.

Jim

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As I suspected some want a locked bolt and many don't care. I only know one guy who lost a bolt and he did it going up a mountain side in one of Alaska's legendary alder patches. He discovered it was missing after about 4 hours of fighting through the alders. He had slung his rifle to keep both hands free. Fortunately his buddy still had a functioning rifle.

I know I have locked my bolt down on and empty chamber when pushing through the alders after having a bolt come open, but it stayed in the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put me down for locked.
Have had bolt get lifted enough to prevent firing twice.
There are two here that don't lock,
really don't plan to ever make it three.

Matter of fact, been thinking of making a Model 7 243 into a 308.
If I find a good take-off it's getting a 3-position put on at the same time.

The perfect whitetail rifle then,

for awhile anyway.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I want the bolt locked when the safe is on, like others here, and for the same reasons. It is what I am used to, and it prevents the bolt being knocked enough that the rifle won't fire when I want it to, or worse still, dropping open and losing a round.

I see no good reason for having a safety that allows you to open the action to unload, while still on safe. If you can't open the breech without inadvertently pulling the trigger you have no business with a firearm. I'm not much of a fan of typical three-position safeties either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan,
I always hated the need to off safe to unload.
Until I got a 700 that didn't lock the bolt, now
I know better.

Interesting how different people's ideas on this are.
Often, where and how one hunts plays into these things.
People only think of their experiences, and then transfer that
knowledge to places where it may not fit.

When I look at feeders and tripod blinds, I assume certain things about that kind of hunting.
I bet if I did it, I would find I was wrong more than right

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
POS 700s, AFTER the lawyers figured it was easier and cheaper than to fix the fail on fire safety. Like you, I simply won't even consider a rifle whose safety does not lock the bolt.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (17Hunter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 71 invisible), 3,006 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,976
Posts18,480,799
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.