Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I always wanted one, but just couldn't see paying that much for a handgun, but the other day, this gun was for sale, so a couple of trade ins and some cash later, it followed me home. Quality is beyond expectations and by FAR, the tightest action I've ever experienced:
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. Congrats.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They are quality, but....they are expensive! Congrats, nice handgun! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congratulations. Freedom arms is the best revolver available. Their backorder for orders is now a number of months.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine example of what 'Made in the USA' really means. Sure it cost more, but now you have one of the finest revolvers ever built. Enjoy it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Little brother, a .357 model 97.

Like big bro, a tack driver.

I'm shooting the 170 gr. Speer Gold Dot. Had to get a taller front sight. FA has a series of front sights of different heights and they knew which one would work. Easy swap out with an Allen wrench. Great support and CS. Good folks at FA. I told them the load and they gave me their suggestion of correct front sight which worked like a charm. When you buy a FA, you get their support which is unmatched in the industry, IMO.

DF

[Linked Image]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to know, Dirt. I have a load worked up on my Ruger and I hope it wlll work here as well.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
classy Jorge, and I approve of the Pachmyer grips.

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
JorgeI,

Congrats on owning one of the finest handguns made. I have owned three of them, still have one, that I hunt with, a 10" octagon barreled, MagNaPorted version, custom .454 Casull assembled with trigger job, sling swivel studs, etc. It wears a Burris 2X scope in Lovell mounts, and is crazy accurate with both factory and handloaded ammo.

It originally cost me around $1200 to have my gun built the way I wanted it. To do so today, with the options on it, would cost well over $3,000!

BTW- I see yours is wearing the Pachmayr grips. I tried them on all my FA Casulls, and went back to their original Rosewood grips- I found that allowing the guns to 'roll' back in the grip upon firing seemed to reduce felt recoil. Besides, they look really cool on the stainless FA's.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bighorn
JorgeI, I see yours is wearing the Pachmayr grips. I tried them on all my FA Casulls, and went back to their original Rosewood grips- I found that allowing the guns to 'roll' back in the grip upon firing seemed to reduce felt recoil. Besides, they look really cool on the stainless FA's.

+1

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The FA grip is much more comfortable than a SAA. It's sort of a cross between Colt Bisley and the SSA, maybe a touch of Ruger Bisley and Elmer's famous #5 thrown in.

Anyway, it's very effective design, one of the best for handling heavy recoil, IMO.

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bighorn: I called FA and they were real helpful. It appears they DID ship quite a few guns with the Pachmayr which I too, don't care for. Apparently, its an "issue" to have wood (or ivory grips) installed as according to them, they must be individually fitted. I did find a website that says to make a trace of the existing grips and send them so they can in turn make their grips fit. If you know another (or better) route to go, it will be appreciated. J

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very classy pistola, Jorge.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge,

May want to check with Eagle grips or similar to see if they make suitable grips.

FA grips hand fitted by them is probably gonna be pretty pricey. I think I'd go aftermarket.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree with Bighorn and Dirtfarmer on the rubber grips! Rather than allowing the gun to recoil and slide in your grip the rubber seems to grab the flesh in your palm and twist... Not a pleasant feeling.

My FA's all wear smooth factory grips.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
http://www.tombstonegrips.com/mm5/m..._Code=FAC_137a&Category_Code=Freedom

Eagle doesn't have them. These look good. Ivory would look good as well as dark, even black.

The "rosewood" FA grips are actually laminated wood.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, I just loaded 300 new starline cases with 300 gr Cast Performance WFNGC bullets to an easy, comfortable and accurate 1255 fps with 4227 powder, burns clean at those pressures, don't know what it wouldn't handily dispatch either.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
4227 is a great powder for that application, has a smooth pressure curve. And, if you're burning it hot, can be very clean.

I read that Hank Williams, Jr likes it in his vintage, 1st Gen .45 SSA's. Hank is a noted Colt collector. Now, it probably leaves some residue in that application. His reason was the smooth pressure curve in those old guns.

I like it in my .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy with 24" barrel. I shoot 300 gr. jacketed and cast bullets with a rather warm load. Burns really clean and it's a 'diller killer. Those big slugs will roll a 'diller with authority. They do tend to over penetrate, however... grin

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, looking at these:

but website recommends tracing the existing grips, sending that in so they can cut to fit? Thoughts?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have settled on a load for my .454 Casull, using 32.5 gr. of 4227 powder, and Hornady's excellent 240 gr. XTP Mag. bullet. MV is around 1500 fps out of my 10" barrel. Used this load last fall on wild hog and red deer, with great results and pass-through performance. I no longer shoot full-power stuff out of my Casull- reducing factory ammo MV's by 300-400 fps makes a huge difference in recoil, and as far as I can tell, no effect on killing efficiency.

If I were going after really big stuff, like bison, for example, then a heavy cast bullet or the Hornady 300 gr. XTP Mag, or some of the original FA JFP bullets I still have around, might be the better choice.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Gents, looking at these:

but website recommends tracing the existing grips, sending that in so they can cut to fit? Thoughts?

jorge,
Before going to that trouble, it might be worth putting out some WTB feelers to see if any existing or previous FA owners might have some grips lying around that they would sell. They might not fit as perfectly as a factory-installed grip set, but I'll bet they would be plenty good enough.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This is the most accurate of all bullets, jacketed or cast, that I've tried in my Marlin Cowboy .45 Colt.

It is the hardest bullet Sierra makes, according to their info. It may be a good one to try in the 454 Casull.

www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/8830/4515-dia-45-cal-300-gr-JSP

This one over a healthy load of 4227 is bad medicine. Moves pretty fast out of a 24" barrel. They're not always easy to find. I pick up a few boxes every chance I get. Shelf life is very good.... grin

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice, I just loaded 300 new starline cases with 300 gr Cast Performance WFNGC bullets to an easy, comfortable and accurate 1255 fps with 4227 powder, burns clean at those pressures, don't know what it wouldn't handily dispatch either.

Gunner: I'm loading the following that worked well in my Ruger 454 (since traded smile )
Starline brass
WSR primer
27.5gr H-110
Cast Performance 325gr LFNPD hard cast
1340 fps

Heve not tried it on this gun however

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice, looks like the field grade model. Ours, made in 1988, came with the pachmayr grips also.
Did you ask when it was made?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think you gonna get a lot of flash with H-110. I like 4227 better. H-110 will hit some pretty sharp pressure peaks when pushed. It is good for max velocity.

To add to my remark about the FA grip shape being not too unlike the Ruger Bisley and Elmer's #5, here are photos of Bill Grover's Texas Longhorn Arms, .45 Colt with extra .45 Mag cylinder and the holster Mr. Grover loved. The TLA is a pretty close copy of the famous #5 and not by accident...

Also a custom Ruger Bisley by Jim Stroh with grips that I did.

These grip shapes aren't identical, but both have some similarity to the FA grip. These type grips handle recoil a heap better than the original SAA.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
4227 is a great powder for that application, has a smooth pressure curve. And, if you're burning it hot, can be very clean.

I read that Hank Williams, Jr likes it in his vintage, 1st Gen .45 SSA's. Hank is a noted Colt collector. Now, it probably leaves some residue in that application. His reason was the smooth pressure curve in those old guns.

I like it in my .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy with 24" barrel. I shoot 300 gr. jacketed and cast bullets with a rather warm load. Burns really clean and it's a 'diller killer. Those big slugs will roll a 'diller with authority. They do tend to over penetrate, however... grin

DF

You bet DF, iirc HWJ's load is 19 grains under a 255 gr Keith bullet, I use only 25 grains under the 300 grain bullet in the 454C, it is very smooth to shoot, I'm going to be looking for takers this fall to catch and contain one of those bullets, I'm betting they can't. ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Gunner: I'm loading the following that worked well in my Ruger 454 (since traded smile )
Starline brass
WSR primer
27.5gr H-110
Cast Performance 325gr LFNPD hard cast
1340 fps

Heve not tried it on this gun however

They'll work just fine Jorge, you may want to research the "neck down crimp" thread on these pages, I went back and done the same to all my 454 and 44 mag loaded rounds, the bullets will not move under recoil.

Trump Won!
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll look into that. So far I used the Lee Factory Crimp die and no issues.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

You bet DF, iirc HWJ's load is 19 grains under a 255 gr Keith bullet, I use only 25 grains under the 300 grain bullet in the 454C, it is very smooth to shoot, I'm going to be looking for takers this fall to catch and contain one of those bullets, I'm betting they can't. ;]

Nope, wouldn't bet on catching one...

Not in a critter...

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Heavy bullets are effective at moderate velocities. A hard cast 45 colt 300 grain Keith flat nose at only 1250 fps will penetrate a cow elk from front to stern.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMHO the best grip for the mdl 83 is having the frame roundbutted with micarta scales. Of the dozen plus 83's in various configurations and calibers, that 5 1/2" roundbutted 454 was the best in terms of shootability.

[Linked Image]

Bust roundbutt image I could find on google

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Going to give this guy a try, maybe in Dall Sheep:

Rowen Custom

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Going to give this guy a try, maybe in Dall Sheep:

Rowen Custom

[Linked Image]

Yeah, that's going first class. It'll cost more but look what you get.

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, considering FA wants 300 bucks to have one in wood or micarta installed, this is my view is a better (and better looking) deal.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, considering FA wants 300 bucks to have one in wood or micarta installed, this is my view is a better (and better looking) deal.

Yeah, that's WAY too much for what you get.

Going with Rowan would be a no brainer, IMO. Besides his stuff looks a lot better, a real custom effect. And, I think it would add more value than going with FA. High quality custom grips really set the tone.

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Cripes, do things get more difficult as you grow older or am I just imagining things. It appears a SIMPLE thing like replacement grips involves a great deal of money which I don't necessarily mind, OR an ETERNITY for turn around AND you must send your gun in for fitting. I mean really!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dall sheep adds a little pizazz

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Dall sheep adds a little pizazz

[Linked Image]

Now, that's sharp. Almost too pretty to shoot...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack Huntington will roundbutt and make Mikarta grips for less than FA charges just for the grips.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For a bit I owned an octagon barreled 45 Colt M97 and while it was clearly well built it was lost on my other custom’s so went down the road. I do have a five shot custom Ruger Bisley that I have owned for years that does shoot very well that will run with the Casuull though if needed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Jack Huntington will roundbutt and make Mikarta grips for less than FA charges just for the grips.

Link or info, please?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Link or info, please?

Jack Huntington 775-355-6869 call him. Jack prefers to talk to his customers.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, for the $300 FA wants, you have a bunch of really good options.

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
When you call Jack Huntington be prepared to talk! He is great and has a lot of knowledge. He just got back from a Cape Buffalo Hunt with a BFR .500 that they presented him with. We talked a long time about grip configurations and what works best with different calibers.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, guys. Just waiting for the time to pass as I take it he's on mountain time..

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Number no longer in service. Found his website, number off by one digit.

Last edited by jorgeI; 07/12/18.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Let us know what you find out and what you decide.

Interesting.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Number no longer in service. Found his website, number off by one digit.

Sorry I typed the number incorrectly above. Jacks correct phone number is 775-355-6898

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Congrats! I've had one like yours for 24 years. Yes, the rubber grips were standard on the Field Grade back then. Mine has the adjustable rear sight and MNP dual trapezoids...works very well. FA is awesome. I have one in 475 Linebaugh, and I like it so much, I'm going to sell the 454 because I just don't shoot it anymore. The 454 is fantastic, the 475 is a sledgehammer. Cast LBTs from Beartooth Bullets shoot great, give them a look.

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."
U.S. Coast Guard, retired
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, after much cogitating and phone calls, I'm just going to put a pause on the project of grips. I simply cannot fathom having to send a gun off and a revolver at that, for months on end, to have a set of stupid grips installed. Hell, my bespoke double only took six months....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, after much cogitating and phone calls, I'm just going to put a pause on the project of grips. I simply cannot fathom having to send a gun off and a revolver at that, for months on end, to have a set of stupid grips installed. Hell, my bespoke double only took six months....

Jack is typically faster than many others and you are going to have a set of grips that actually fit your hand properly. Shouldn't take too long but he is getting caught up from moving his shop as well as hunting in Africa.

Last edited by Whitworth1; 07/16/18.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure he is fantastic, but I'm still not seeing the difficulty in installing some grips on what is ostensibly, a mass produced revolver...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure he is fantastic, but I'm still not seeing the difficulty in installing some grips on what is ostensibly, a mass produced revolver...

Is he "installing grips" or is he making a set for your revolver and your hand? There is a big difference.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You are obviously correct, but hell, I had no issues with my 454 Casull Ruger out of the box and that is where I'm coming from.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have custom grips on my .454 Bisley too and they were worth the wait, Jorge. Perhaps you don't know what you're missing. Maybe that's a good thing as it will definitely save you money! LOL!

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Too bad you missed this one!
They do occasionally come up for sale.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/976523842/Freedom-Arms-factory-wooden-grips-for-model-83-revolver.htm

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
crap!

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Those are beautiful, sir.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
I have custom grips on my .454 Bisley too and they were worth the wait, Jorge. Perhaps you don't know what you're missing. Maybe that's a good thing as it will definitely save you money! LOL!

[Linked Image]

Wow!

Hard to beat those.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge, if you do any wood work, this is not a hard project.

I did these burl rosewood grips myself on a custom Old Army .50 cal, even installed the medallions.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

DF,

excellent job on those grips.

i'm amazed at your varied skill-sets.

have also enjoyed seeing your posts on your very nice handgun rigs...they were a surprise!

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
You are obviously correct, but hell, I had no issues with my 454 Casull Ruger out of the box and that is where I'm coming from.

Jack builds the grips to fit your hand precisely, from a tracing of your hand. The grips will fit the grip frame correctly. What most do not realize is a properly fitted set of grips makes the recoil Less abusive to the shooter. Those that use factory grips and have never used a set of grips made precisely to fit your hand do not know what you are missing.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Hi_Vel. Been doing it for a while.

When shooting cowboy action I had a pair of New Vaquero Rugers set up to "run like a Colt". I fitted these walnut grips, sent them to Errol Case in MO for checkering/carving. I like the look and feel. They were shaped to fit my hand.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Same deal, except one piece rosewood on 3rd gen Colts.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Then, I got a pair of 3rd gen .38 Spec. Colts from a CAS shooter in Dallas. He had bought them, got a retired Weatherby engraver living in S TX to engrave them.

I then sent them to Nutmeg Sports to be fitted with one piece ivory and deep dish Colt medallions, using the Colt rosewood grips as a pattern. They were my crown jewels in the CAS game. They have about the prettiest, soft case colors with an iridescent depth, of any 3rd gen Colts I've seen.

http://www.nutmegsports.com/index.htm

[Linked Image]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Jack builds the grips to fit your hand precisely, from a tracing of your hand. The grips will fit the grip frame correctly. What most do not realize is a properly fitted set of grips makes the recoil Less abusive to the shooter. Those that use factory grips and have never used a set of grips made precisely to fit your hand do not know what you are missing.

I realize all that you are saying, I'm just not interested in "the process", i.e. mailing off, wait, etc.... Thanks for the help regardless.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

DF,

those are some real beauties--you continue to surprise!

with such fabulous rigs like those pictured, i could well imagine you going after some of them hogs down there...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, we get pretty aggressive with those critters.

You can't kill'em fast enough...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations, jorgeI, on the very fun purchase.

Originally Posted by Bighorn
JorgeI,

Congrats on owning one of the finest handguns made. I have owned three of them, still have one, that I hunt with, a 10" octagon barreled, MagNaPorted version, custom .454 Casull assembled with trigger job, sling swivel studs, etc. It wears a Burris 2X scope in Lovell mounts, and is crazy accurate with both factory and handloaded ammo.

It originally cost me around $1200 to have my gun built the way I wanted it. To do so today, with the options on it, would cost well over $3,000!

BTW- I see yours is wearing the Pachmayr grips. I tried them on all my FA Casulls, and went back to their original Rosewood grips- I found that allowing the guns to 'roll' back in the grip upon firing seemed to reduce felt recoil. Besides, they look really cool on the stainless FA's.

Very interesting. I had one and heard about letting it slide in the hand. I replaced the wood with the Pachmayrs and never went back. My favorite load was a Freedom Arms 240 grain hollow point at 2,014 feet per second. Occasionally I fired a whole calendar under 2" at 100 yards. Usually the groups ran about 2 1/2-2 3/4". One time I tried three shot groups from the same chamber. The first was 1 1/16", the second was 15/16" and the third was 9/16". I found it preferred CCI 250 Magnum primers. Mine ran an 18 ounce trigger.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ I enjoyed shooting your .454 so much I picked up a Ruger Bisley. What was that group I shot, around 3/4ths of an inch at 100 yards. That was a sweet trigger and a nice scope, overall a truly quality rig. The only thing I didn't really like was the things the sling attached to because those hit my hand under recoil.

I can't shoot rubber grips, they tear my hands and make them bleed. Gotta use wood or hard / slick synthetic grips. The factory bisley grips didn't fit the frame well so I replaced them with black Hogue micarta grips, then did some filing to get them "perfect." I don't like bisley grips but with the .454 and full throttle loads i think they're fairly useful if not downright necessary.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The FA grip shape may be the best of all. The Ruger Bisley is good, FA is better, IMO.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My five shot custom Ruger built by Larry Crow of Competitive Edge Gunworks apparently for himself. Accurate as all get out though I have "only" loaded "Ruger Only Loads" in it. It is Taylor throated as well as bushed and line-bored. As slick a NM Ruger than I have ever owned.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Man those are some beautiful grips

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The FA grip shape may be the best of all. The Ruger Bisley is good, FA is better, IMO.

DF

I agree with this. I've had several FA but my basic problem is that there is no transfer bar, and you are supposed to leave an empty chamber under the hammer. So you go from a 5 shot to a 4 shot. Great Northern Guns in Anchorage used to be a big dealer for FA. Now they won't carry them due to risk.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Glad you mentioned that. FA 97's have an updated transfer bar, better IMO than the Ruger because it doesn't seem to affect the trigger pull.

Another issue with FA's. With a Colt, I load one, skip one, load four, cock and let the hammer down on an empty chamber. I can view the firing pin with no ctg case in the top chamber.

Because the FA's enclose the case head, there is no gap to check if the hammer is down on an empty chamber. Also, if you cock it, then let the hammer down, you have to re-index to have the hammer down on an empty chamber.

My question. How do you guys handle that?

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of line bore, this in a Ruger SBH that I sent to Jim Stroh for custom work. He line bored the .44 chambers to .45 Colt, installed a 6" Shilen barrel, built a custom front light, installed a long extractor. I had done a trigger job, put a spacer in the trigger spring to act as a trigger stop. Works well. I shaped the stag grips, installed the medallions. Almost as accurate as an FA. The SBH grip isn't as good as the FA, but not bad, lot better than the shorter SAA type grips. I installed aftermarket rear sight.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Model 83 PG .454 allows me to pull back the hammer about 1/4 inch and, when you release it, it stops about 1/8 inch from the firing pin. It is, practically speaking, an unmovable barrier. I don’t see how it can be overcome. I carry it that way loaded with five and think it's completely safe.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice fish.

I like that set up.

Who makes that holster/belt?

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Marine: I noticed in your photo of the outstanding greyling you are wearing hip boots. If you ever fish where you need waders or wear a pack with waist belt, I recommend the El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker holster. The Crossfire Alaskan is another chest holster that is cheaper and more versatile because it can also be used on the belt. However I like leather instead of synthetic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote][/quote]
Nice fish.

I like that set up.

Who makes that holster/belt?

DF

Thanks DF. It is an Old Trading Post 1880 Mexican Vaquero Bandoleer Shoulder Holster with Ammo Loops: https://www.oldtradingpost.com/old-...51.html?zenid=ibt8d1tm5las4n5ndr8f50iah7

They can custom make them for any gun. I had one made for my Ruger DA 5.5” .454, but the one pictured, I think, is just a standard model for a 7.5” Blackhawk, which was cheaper, and my 7.5” FA fit in it nicely.

You can flip it so that what is normally the back part of the strap goes over your left shoulder and what is normally the front part of the strap goes under your right armpit, which results in a belly/chest holster.

I like that you can take it off without unsnapping anything and put on or take off layers underneath it and just throw it back on fairly quickly.

Originally Posted by bobmn
Marine: I noticed in your photo of the outstanding greyling you are wearing hip boots. If you ever fish where you need waders or wear a pack with waist belt, I recommend the El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker holster. The Crossfire Alaskan is another chest holster that is cheaper and more versatile because it can also be used on the belt. However I like leather instead of synthetic.

Thanks Bob. I will look at those. I primarily was going after bigger fish:

[Linked Image]

But I didn’t want to carry my rifle around all of the time in case that guy's cousin decided to mount a revenge counterattack after I was done with that while we were working our way down river to our pickup point.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Final outcome guys, some Ivory wannabe grips. They fit better in my hands that those fugly pachmyers.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/09/18.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
My Model 83 PG .454 allows me to pull back the hammer about 1/4 inch and, when you release it, it stops about 1/8 inch from the firing pin. It is, practically speaking, an unmovable barrier. I don’t see how it can be overcome. I carry it that way loaded with five and think it's completely safe.

[Linked Image]

It most certainly can be overcome and has.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Glad it worked out for you jorge...

Were you able to find some used ones or some other aftermarket...

FA is a PITA with their grips... I had a 6" .454 back around 2000 that had the the black Micarta grips. I was going to trade guns with a friend who had ended up with two 4.75" guns but I wanted to keep my grips...they would not interchange on either gun...so I ended up selling mine when the .454 rounds just started causing too much discomfort to shoot...found an identical one in .41 Magnum and have lived happily ever after...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I sent the gun to FA for a fitting. They had it back to me in a week. They are a pleasure to work and speak with though. I was on the phone with the head gunsmith and it was a great, informative talk. Anyway, they look really good and the gun fits my hand better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Final outcome guys, some Ivory wannabe grips. They fir better in my hands that those fugly pachmyers.
[Linked Image]

That's a nice rig. FA bulds them like a Swiss watch. Full power loads are .... let's just say a handful!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Arguably rivals any bespoke euro double in form and fit. They are truly remarkably well made.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge,

Where did you find those grips? They look nice.

I, too, like them a heap better than those Pachmayrs. Never liked the look or feel.

And, as noted by others, heavy recoiling guns work better with these type grips than those...

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge,

Where did you find those grips? They look nice.

I, too, like them a heap better than those Pachmayrs. Never liked the look or feel.

And, as noted by others, heavy recoiling guns work better with these type grips than those...

DF

See above. Sent the gun to FA.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very good..they do a nice job with their grips and as you noticed have a fast turn around. I spoke to Mr. Baker a couple of times at the SHOT Show. He said that when a customer's gun comes in it goes to the head of the line to get it back to them asap...they don't want customer guns hanging around the shop...

Have been to the factory once....nice people to do business... When I was there I dropped something in the parking lot that I didn't discover missing for a couple of weeks while driving home. I called them and a customer had brought it in and they were just hoping someone would call...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Fast turn around is what threw me off. Seeing those grips this quick, I "assumed" Jorge had found a set somwhere else.

FA has great CS. Not cheap, but great.

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
At this point in my life, "time" has become a premium smile and when coupled with great CS and a quality product, I don't mind the extra dough spent. They really need a nice job in fitting them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
At this point in my life, "time" has become a premium smile and when coupled with great CS and a quality product, I don't mind the extra dough spent. They really need a nice job in fitting them.

I was somewhat taken aback by the fast turnaround. I knew they were good, but that was FAST.

I do understand what you're saying about time...

That's one commodity we have no control over.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The single experience that I have had with them was a very quick turn-around. I really like the Freedom Arms revolvers. The 4-3/4", 475 Linebaugh is probably my favorite revolver.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Concur on the quick turn around. I visited the factory and dropped off a Premier 83 454 to have the barrel shortened from 7.5 to 6 inches and had it back in my hands in a couple of weeks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm gonna use a Mernickle cross draw rig I've had for some time. Not quite as handy as the chest rigs, but it'll do for now. The belt is long enough to go over winter clothes.

I have a couple of woods ladder stands that were set up for bow hunting. I'm not much into strings, like gunpowder a lot more. So, this Fall may find me in such a stand with the .45 Ruger. And Penn Bullets, 270 gr. Thunderhead ahead of a full case of 4227.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Penn Bullets 270 gr. Thunderheads, .45 Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DAMN! nice rig DF, I used those Thunderheads two times last year to put finishers in two buck deer that looked up at me after having been shot, I didn't see any point and letting them suffer, at the shot, BOTH times, the bucks immediately coughed a large amount of blood out and the eyes went glassy, they work!

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice guns guys. I've been shooting a FA .454 for the past 7 years or so. This is the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. I shoot 300 gr Hornady XTP Mag over 31.1 gr H110. This fall I used it to take 8 marmots from 107 to 212 yards. Next year I'm putting a scope on it for varmints. Hope to take another elk with it in two weeks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGray
Concur on the quick turn around. I visited the factory and dropped off a Premier 83 454 to have the barrel shortened from 7.5 to 6 inches and had it back in my hands in a couple of weeks.

I like the 6" Shilen on my .45 SBH. They don't make a 6", so that just adds to the custom features...

Handy length.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Penn Bullets 270 gr. Thunderheads, .45 Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

They're not quite as accurate as 255 SWC, but pretty good. These targets off a bench at 25 yds. Both targets out of the .45 SBH

DF

255 Bull X SWC 18.5 gr H-4227
[Linked Image]

Thunderhead 270
[Linked Image]

All of these "complaints" about the grips on FA guns is unwarranted. The grips from one gun won't fit on another because each gun/grip combination is created individually, the same way that Colt SAA's were done in the first generations. Ever try swapping grips from one Colt to another? The fact that when you get a FA gun you usually can't even feel where the grip meets the frame is part of the quality of an excellent product.

I once had the laminated rosewood grips break under recoil 9 days before I was leaving on a hunt. I had my gun with new black micartas in my hand two days before I left.

I really like the look of the micarta grips on the OP's M83.

Oh.....and please don't trust the hammer block on the M83 with a live round under the hammer.

Dan

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BigMuddy
..and please don't trust the hammer block on the M83 with a live round under the hammer.

Dan

What about the 97?

It has an improved hammer block.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cripes, do things get more difficult as you grow older or am I just imagining things. It appears a SIMPLE thing like replacement grips involves a great deal of money which I don't necessarily mind, OR an ETERNITY for turn around AND you must send your gun in for fitting. I mean really!

Well, yes, they do. 😏

Think what Billy The Kid got by with. 🤔

Very nice revolver J.

Originally Posted by BigMuddy
..and please don't trust the hammer block on the M83 with a live round under the hammer.

Dan

What about the 97?

It has an improved hammer block.

DF

The '97 has a type of transfer bar. I trust mine with five in the gun.

Dan

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (16penny, 11point, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.