Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
BH,

I guess there good safety record is because the only walk 50 yards into the woods and spend the day sitting on their azzes waiting for something to come by...……………

LC

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
BH,

I guess there good safety record is because the only walk 50 yards into the woods and spend the day sitting on their azzes waiting for something to come by...……………

LC
Obviously if anyone is really worried about hunting with a hot chamber they damn well better be walking to where they hunt and not climbing into a treestand when they get there. I guess a cold chamber is fine for all the Western hunters who just "hunt" with their azzes plunked in a saddle all day and only dismount to take a potshot at an animal 900 yards away once in awhile.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Everyone gets all worked up over hot vs cold.

JFC if you’re jump shooting big game, go for it I guess. I certainly don’t pack around an empty shotgun when bird hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rosco1
Everyone gets all worked up over hot vs cold.

JFC if you’re jump shooting big game, go for it I guess. I certainly don’t pack around an empty shotgun when bird hunting.
I was going to bring up the shotgun toting bird hunter issue too. I wonder how many of these jackwagons who won't hunt with a hot chamber when toting a rifle still carry cold when toting a shotgun after grouse, pheasant, woodcock etc..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Apples and oranges. Or if you prefer, bird hunting with a shotgun vs. big game hunting with a rifle. There is a difference.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Apples and oranges. Or if you prefer, bird hunting with a shotgun vs. big game hunting with a rifle. There is a difference.

One will kill you as quick and as dead as the other.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Under some conditions. What if you're 50 yards away? Which would be your preference, a 180 grain bullet out of a .30-06, or a load of #7s?

But the main difference is, if you're bird hunting with an unloaded shotgun and a bird flushes, you're not getting a shot. So if you bird hunt with an empty chamber you may as well stay home.

Not true with big game and a rifle. Not all big game hunters are deer hunters in the woods of New York, jumping deer and taking shots at running deer.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Under some conditions. What if you're 50 yards away? Which would be your preference, a 180 grain bullet out of a .30-06, or a load of #7s?

But the main difference is, if you're bird hunting with an unloaded shotgun and a bird flushes, you're not getting a shot. So if you bird hunt with an empty chamber you may as well stay home.

Not true with big game and a rifle. Not all big game hunters are deer hunters in the woods of New York, jumping deer and taking shots at running deer.
By far most hunting accients, take place at ranges measured in feet, not yards. I haven't shot at a running deer in many years. If you're a "stillhunter" and you're jumping deer and taking running shots with any regularity, you're doing it wrong, plain and simple.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Everything you said is true. And 100% irrelevant to the main point I was making which seems to have gone undetected. So I'll repeat it:

Not true with big game and a rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Everything you said is true. And 100% irrelevant to the main point I was making which seems to have gone undetected. So I'll repeat it:

Trying to chamber a round when you're 30 -50 feet from a deer ain't the best thing to insure success either. Einstein.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And that would be the only known wolf attack on a human in Minnesota.

Not true. My plumber's uncle's doctor's wife's cousin was also attacked.

I heard about that one!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Trying to chamber a round when you're 30 -50 feet from a deer ain't the best thing to insure success either. Einstein.

I said "big game with a rifle." Not "still hunting in thick timber with a rifle."

Oppenheimer.

I once hunted big game wih a rifle where I didn't chamber a round for the first 8 days of the hunt, and I was never in danger of missing a shot opportunity. Sheep hunting in AK, above timberline. we saw sheep every day, just didn't get within range until day 9.

Not everyone still hunts in thick timber.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nitpicking. Einstein.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hardly, Forrest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

And you know it cannot be done regularly because you have never tried?

Having shot a number of deer in NY. I happen to know it can be done easily.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hardly, Forrest.
We call stillhunting in thick timber big game hunting here in the East. In fact, most "big game" hunting takes place in thick timber around here and since there are far more hunters in the East than the West it's certainly relevant. Jackwagon.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And you know it cannot be done regularly because you have never tried?

Having shot a number of deer in NY. I happen to know it can be done easily.
Certainly not always it can't and you'd know that and admit it if you tried it very often and were not a liar {yeah right}. I've had them spook instantly at the snick of a safety. Any unnecesary noise or movement is likely to get you busted when they're really close. If that weren't the case, bowhunters wouldn't expend nearly as much energy making sure their equipment is as close to dead silent on the draw and release as possible. And BTW, the number of deer you've shot in NY is but a fraction of what I have, I guarantee it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're talking to someone who grew up hunting back east in thick woods with a .30-30. I've done plenty of still hunting with a round in the chamber. And I never said you or anyone else shouldn't do it.

Yet you continue to state the obvious with a sense of discovery, and talk about your particular style of hunting in your particular locale as if it's the be-all end-all. Stillhunting in thick timber is one style of big game hunting among many. There are lots of other ways to hunt where a round in the chamber buys you nothing but the chance for an accidental discharge. It's a shame your point of view is so narrow as to not recognize that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure there are many circumstaces where it's perfectly viable. Never said there wasn't. My point was that it's not nearly as viable for many, maybe even the majority in the East, which is a substantial percentage of hunters overall.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure there are many circumstaces where it's perfectly viable. Never said there wasn't. My point was that it's not nearly as viable for many, maybe even the majority in the East, which is a substantial percentage of hunters overall.

And again you know this because you have never tried it... got it.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 59 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,364
Posts18,527,270
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.