Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Go figure.

Unfortunately, like the various companies and local governments with fleets of firefighting aircraft, it appears that this fire containment system is being stonewalled by bureaucrats within the Forest Service and other federal agencies. F.A.C.S. is already used by residential customers, but can’t seem to break through the barriers of federal inflexibility.

More article at link.

http://www.freerangereport.com/inde...ventor-of-substance-that-puts-out-fires/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The forest service would never use this product. It puts out fires!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Makes way too much sense for Government use.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well,that would put a lot of good men out of a job,don't you know?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
more truth to this comment than many people might know?

on the other hand, the cost factor is real. and are there competitive products?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen new products bogged down in red tape before.

Only to reemerge at a later date with a different name, or minor difference to cut the original patent holder out.

Welcome to corporate govt.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The presentation wasn't made or the company wasn't owned by someone's brother/son/daughter. It'll seem like a great idea when a family member stands to make $5-$10 million off of it..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I could never figure out is why we can't mobilize the National Guard or other nationally based branches of the military to help knock down these fires before they get so out of control. We already pay these guys and have thousands of helicopters moth balled or on active duty that could be retrofitted with fire suppression equipment.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the forest service and their stable of attorneys could probably be a bit more effective in the real world if the democrats, and their environmentalist supporters and their lawyers weren't filing suit at the drop of a hat. like the muslims, when environmental lawyers tie up the process with procedural issues, the forest service like many agencies and private companies are forced into a corner. their options become limited.

meanwhile the forests burn, and folks who built in the forest are at risk. forest thinnings might make a difference, and reduce the flow of wood from canada, siberia, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've seen new products bogged down in red tape before.

Only to reemerge at a later date with a different name, or minor difference to cut the original patent holder out.

Welcome to corporate govt.

CRYE Multicam for the US Army is a great example of this.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
What I could never figure out is why we can't mobilize the National Guard or other nationally based branches of the military to help knock down these fires before they get so out of control. We already pay these guys and have thousands of helicopters moth balled or on active duty that could be retrofitted with fire suppression equipment.

There is some law or policy that states the Government must exhaust all civilian contracted agencies before the Guard can be mobilized. The Government cannot compete directly against civilian contractors for jobs or projects that civilians can handle. That is why convicts aren't used more to build roads or chop weeds.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Looks a little hokey to me, and no doubt very expensive.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
There are loads of products out there like this stuff.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably $10,000 per gallon.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
With the limited time for training that the National Guard has for their primary job, is it really a good idea to divert them into fighting forest fires? The combat engineer units might be able to do it, but not combat arms (infantry, armor, arty) or logistics.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Well, if yer makin' a video to show how world-class you are, and to impress lots of potential customers, you probably shouldn't misspell the word "gluten" so stupidly (0:13).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I noticed that "gluten" typo but then couldn't recall if it was spelled wrong or was it my faulty memory? Because I was thinking about how long would it be until someone starts asking if they have a "gluten-free" version of that stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing in the article or video about application rates, cost per mile of fire line, availability, etc.

I get leery of any anecdotal reports of it being able to put out canopy fires. Is there video of it doing just that? If not, perhaps the company can pay for the product's use on a fire on private timberlands, I'd assume no need for USFS OK then, seeing as how it's been cleared by Dept of Ag. Vidoe of it actually performing as alluded to would go a long way in convincing the public to sway the USFS towards its use. If the USFS has a contract with the retardant company, that will cost $$$ to break in associated legal fees and penalties no doubt.

I'm also very leery of anonymous claims such as this:

He goes on to explain that, “One Forest Service chief told me that their mission is to fight fires, not put out fires.”

Who is this Forest Service Chief? How high up in the chain was said "Chief"?

If it can be proven to work, in the real world, not just small scale use such as shown, then it seems like a reasonable thing to use it. For now, I remain a bit skeptical.

Geno

PS, living where I do, I may just look into having a can to keep on hand...............just in case. Assuming it's affordable enough for a fixed income household.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Does he mean that his product can extinguish a running crown fire?

A "canopy" fire and a "crown" fire are two very different things.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall

I've been on federal fires where the National Guard has been call on to bolster the ranks of firefighters on the ground or for air support.

There was a big fire in s.w. oregon 15 years ago; half the fire camp I was in was made up of N.G. soldiers turned wildland firefighters (Siskiyou/Kalmiopsis is a beautiful bitch). There are the M.A.F.F.S. systems that convert military C130's into air tankers. It's not unheard of for National Guard helicopters are used for air support and bucket drops. I think the N.G. is mainly called in when other resources get stretched thin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (163bc, 257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 36 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,333
Posts18,505,972
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.