Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
in 14 pages about a fast 7, the Mashburn has been mentioned only once. The 24HourCampfire is slipping.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What does any of that have to do with the old chestnut about recoil while shooting game?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
7RM case capacity is pretty close to the 7 Wby.

So, if you run equal pressures, performance should be very similar.

DF

THAT is the premise that I and a hunting pard used when we ‘began’ loading for the 7 RM back in the 80s.
It works.

Incidentally, my load WAS in Hornady’s manual TOO.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall
7RM case capacity is pretty close to the 7 Wby.

So, if you run equal pressures, performance should be very similar.

DF

THAT is the premise that I and a hunting pard used when we ‘began’ loading for the 7 RM back in the 80s.
It works.

Incidentally, my load WAS in Hornady’s manual TOO.

Jerry

See my earlier comment re the comment you quoted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7-mm Mag: Big brother to the 270 Win.
Or, is it the little brother?

It's all fun and games. Have fun shooting and hunting.

Too Hot here to go shooting. Over 100' F all week.
It is summer time.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pharm

Yes, I read it and understood and agree.

IF a fella wanted, he could have a 7R M throat free bored and .....

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Pharm

Yes, I read it and understood and agree.

IF a fella wanted, he could have a 7R M throat free bored and .....

Jerry

That's a different animal, and I believe BobinNH checked that one out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m not sure there’s anything that COULD be done w/7 Mags that Bob didn’t do or try. grin
I sure miss him.

I’m satisfied with the 7 RM and 300 WM so I haven’t ventured into the Mashburn.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't mean the Mashburn, I think Bob had a long throated 7mm RM built to basically be a "common brass 7Wby".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Understood.

And you’d need an action & mag box long enuff to accommodate proper loading.

Last edited by jwall; 07/16/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogger
in 14 pages about a fast 7, the Mashburn has been mentioned only once. The 24HourCampfire is slipping.

But we are not saying there isn't faster 7mags,it's more about what you can get out of it for what you put in it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
7MM Remington Magnum being a standard very common magnum cartridge is just a very fine cartridge and for the average joe who wants a magnum that's has a little less recoil ,ammo is easy to fine, is very accurate even out of the box with most factory standard rifles and for us FFL dealers is a great rifle cartridge to sell in a rifle or ammo ,its a money maker always !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Remington 700 with a 25 inch Lilja barrel in 7mm RM. It's a nice rifle and quite accurate. I've mostly used it for hunting medium game in open country and it's great for that. I prefer my 30-06 or sometimes a .300 Win Mag or .338 WM for elk hunting in the mixed terrain that I usually hunt, but I'll have to use the 7 RM for elk one of these years. It's a fine all around cartridge but I tend to use my .280 and 30-06 more, partially because those are in lighter rifles.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
From what I understand in reading Bob Hagels book, the 7 RM was developed, at the time, as an easy to shoot, effective long range, again for the time, rifle/cartridge combo capable of delivering about 2k foot pounds of energy to 300-350 yrds utilizing a 160 grn. bullet at about 3100 fps. When sighted 3" high at 100, PBR is about 325yrds, which means, for the time, a hunter didn`t have to "hold over". In that reguard I believe it succeeded. IIRC, 7 RM loading dies remain in the top 10 yet today.

In reading his book Practical Ballistics etc, I wonder what he would think of the advancements in technology we have today. Are we still "Riflemen", or computer geeks?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Are you serious....?

I'm not BSA but that is a Win 70 Classic FTWT in 7-08.

Jerry

Good call Jerry. The picture isn't real good, but you are correct. Took it with my cell phone.. I've had 7mm rem mag's, but this 7mm08 is a sweetheart in all aspects. Shoots great, and has good enough ballistics to take NA game at any sane distance. I should be partial to the 7mm Rem magnum, as I took my longest shot with one. However, it does nothing for me. I actually prefer the 7WSM over the Rem mag. To each their own though.

What load you end up using in that 7-08?

I haven't totally decided yet , but pharmsellers load of 46 grains of big game with 150gr. Hornady ELDX, looks pretty promising. I need to try some magnum primers next time out. With CCI 200's, I was shooting a hair over 1 moa 5 shot groups. Good enough for any critter around here.

Pharmseller is the best Big Game salesman on the Fire... grin

He may even sprinkle some on his Wheaties.... wink

Can't confirm that...

DF

Ha ha.. You are probably right... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One thing we can all agree on: The 7mm is a damn good bore size.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I haven't totally decided yet , but pharmsellers load of 46 grains of big game with 150gr. Hornady ELDX, looks pretty promising. I need to try some magnum primers next time out. With CCI 200's, I was shooting a hair over 1 moa 5 shot groups. Good enough for any critter around here.

[Linked Image]

P

Now, that's what I'm talking about. Now I may just back off the charge weight a bit when I make the switch to the CCI250's. I was real impressed with that powder, but didn't realize it's a ball powder until I opened the can. It drops effortlessly out of my powder measure. I'll bring my Chrono next time I take said rifle and loads out to the range. Accuracy seems to be damn good with the multiple charge wt's I've tried. However, not nearly as good as your Tikka. It's a model 70, I won't expect it to shoot quite as well as a Tikka... wink

BSA MAGA
My first Magnum was a 7mm Rem and my A-bolt in 7mag still goes with me as a back-up when I go out west. A couple of decades of reloading for maybe 1/2 dozen different rifles has taught me that with a 26" tube, I can usually work up a safe load that will give Roy's version a run for the money with less powder. I have a buddy that is a little recoil sensitive. When he bought his 7mag, we loaded some 139 Hornadys that shot well inside an inch and he has no problem sitting at the bench with me and running a couple of boxes through it. For the most part I've outgrown me desire for magnums. Now days 90% of my hunting is done with a 7mm-08 or a 25-06 (the 270 comes along occasionally just so he doesn't feel left out). Since I discovered how well a 140 Accubond out of my 7-08 Steyr tips over deer, and leaves tight little cloverleaf groups in paper, I just don't break out the 7mag that much anymore. Like BSA said, hard to go wrong with a 7mm.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
One thing we can all agree on: The 7mm is a damn good bore size.

Yes. The best IMO.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer/

Yep, there's SAAMI pressure and then there's "Fire" pressure... blush

Pressure variations noted while testing the 7RM resulted in a lower SAAMI limit, evidently not the case with the 7 Wby.

But, in the hands of an ambitious hand loader, not an issue... cool

DF

DF, I know about “pressure variations or ‘excursions’ “ in the 7 RM as well as the 243. That has been discussed sufficiently here and M D has relayed the evidence observed in pressure labs >>> so I will not argue.

Now I’m not saying pressure variations do not occur. I don’t know of ANY load I have shot in MANY 7 RMs that has NOT been in 1 or more reloading
Manuals. Many or MOST of my loads are AT or very CLOSE to max from those sources. No denial / No argument.

Obviously I can’t shoot every round over the graph but I’ve shot MANY rounds of MAX loads and thankfully I haven’t turned ONE rifle into Shrapnel.
In 43 yrs of handloading I have ONLY blown 2 primers — using diff lots of H 450 in 270s.

Therefore it seems even the older manuals were NOT over blown.
With pressure variations being real they MUST - be small OR - farther up the loading charges. I Don’t Know.

From my perspective - if you’re shooting 270 equivalent loads in a 7 RM...you might as well shoot a 270.
I don’t apologize for shooting 7 Mag velocities in my 7s.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/17/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,423
Posts18,507,472
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.