-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 48 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 47 48
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone ever experienced the difference in accuracy between and good flash hole and a bad flash hole, or are fellas just talking out of their flash holes?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
With regard to gaping flash holes, Larry’s original correspondence should have been received as a badge of honor. He’s fiercely loyal. If you’re one of his preferred products/producers, e.g. Barrett FC, SWFA SS, Alpha Brass, Burris Extreme Tactical Sig Rings, HH, XTRATUF, etc., he’ll boisterously tout your wares far and wide. I can’t imagine how many Super Sniper scopes and Kimber Montana’s he’s sold. If you make a product that competes with one of his darlings, he’ll measure you by that existing standard. Larry’s preferences aren’t stagnant. When convinced he’s been presented with a superior product, he will abandon gear that he’s vocally championed, i.e. Talley LW rings, the Kimber Montana, Leupold, etc., etc.....

Larry’s communication style is, as JS put it, his hook. It prioritizes authenticity, function, accuracy, and diligence over courtesy, convention, and fluff. It’s absolutely dependent on conflict and striving. Whatever his faults, he’s determined and intelligent.

I think most will agree, including Larry himself, that, if nothing else, he’s an unwavering and spirited master internet troll. His infamy encases a tempered soul like that of a teen starlet’s—forged in the pedophilic fires of Hollywood. You don’t want to roll in the mud with Larry and there’s really no need when Fred and Jud have already jumped on that grenade.

Not for nothing but, in this instance, an appropriate CS strategy might be to send frequent samplings of only your most defective and anomalous casings. Then sit back and wait for a response. I guarantee the value of those responses will more than outweigh a few handfuls of brass scrap and the price of postage.

Finally, you’d do well to reconsider how you’ve estimated your audience, particularly the audience you’ve not considered.

Ha...that is as apt a description as any I have seen. laugh

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
Has anyone ever experienced the difference in accuracy between and good flash hole and a bad flash hole, or are fellas just talking out of their flash holes?

To be honest I do not recall ever getting any cases with wonky flash holes...and for the past twenty-odd years I have been mostly using Lapua and cutting the pockets and flash holes anyway, mainly for cleaning and to use a standard decapping pin.

And the best one to answer this question would most likely be Stick, as I do not know of anyone else that gins around with stuff like he does.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Read Steelhead’s post above.

He cites.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Derek,

Appreciate you taking the time and effort in reaching out to customers. Mistakes happen and your response has been well. I started and currently own a small family business, it’s tough and there are some people that aren’t looking for answers only problems like you said. Luckily the vast majority aren’t like that otherwise it wouldn’t be worth the effort. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over some of the responses, for some one mistake is unforgivable and entertaining any expectation of reasonable conversation isn’t what you should expect.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by DerekP
Sure. We use a punch and backing die combination. The punch is a hardened piece of carbide the diameter the flash hole needs to be. For large rifle, .080". For our small rifle, .060". The backing stem, which is also carbide to hold its' edge, is inserted into the mouth of the casing and contacts the inside of the bottom of the casing. The casing is then driven, by the backing stem, onto an alignment guide which contains the carbide punch. The way we have improved the punching operation since Larry received his casings, is by designing a more accurate guide bushing, that the casing is pushed on to, so the flash hole is more centered in the primer pocket. Before the new upgrade, from time to time you could get a casing with a flash hole out of center by about .000" - .015". Since the improvement we are now about .000 - .004"

If I'm reading this right the backing stem would have a hole in the middle to accommodate the punched out brass bit and the tip of the punch as it comes through. The improvement of the guide bushing allowing for better control of the hole location would then allow for a smaller diameter hole in the backing stem. This in turn would lead to a cleaner edged hole and less dishing of the bottom of the primer side of the primer pocket.

Am I on track here?

Correct. But, there is a ratio you need to follow during the punching operation. If you close the gap between the punch and the backing die too close, you will actually create a burr on the inside of the casing. If you take a look at Lapua casings, they tend to run the punch a little too close to the backing stem, as a lot of their casings have a slight burr on the inside. However, their flash holes appear from the outside to be very crisp. Not saying anything bad about Lapua or how they make their casings, it is just an observation I have made. When you punch any metal, there is a shear zone and a tear zone. When the punch first contact the metal, the punch cuts into the metal sharply. As the punch continues through the metal, pressure builds up. When the pressure the punch is creating by pushing and cutting the metal overcomes the strength of the remaining metal, the metal tears out. This tear out is what prevents a burr on the inside of the casing. Here is a link to a better explanation with pictures. Punching Diagram

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by kingston

Read Steelhead’s post above.

He cites.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got it. I didn't realize I forgot about his post. Ya. I'm the one who created the website. I agree with everything it says about flash hole concentricity and crispness. That is why if someone finds an issue with any of the casings we produce, we are happy to replace them free of charge whether it is a flash hole, overall length, or any other dimension. To get into the nitty gritty of flash hole centered-ness. I haven't seen any studies on the effect of an out of center flash hole affecting accuracy. I'm not saying it can't, but I haven't seen any study. I don't want to give bad advice. I know that a partial flash hole, one where the punch was split in half, wouldn't provide proper ignition of the powder inside the casing. It is the same thought as having a big burr on the inside of the casing. If the flame from the primer doesn't reach the powder uniformly, you, in theory, could have a less than ideal powder burn. That would result in a drop in velocity of the bullet. That would, if you were shooting far enough out, cause you to hit low on your target. A flash hole slightly out of center, I'm not sure exactly what effect that would have on the powder burn. What we are talking about on the website is trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. Internal volume, flash hole centered-ness, primer pocket depth and tightness, etc...
A few weeks ago I was shooting out at 1,000 yards. At that distance, the spin put on the bullet by the rifling in the barrel causes the bullet to drift to the right about 5 inches. That is if nothing else effects it like something to do with the bullet, powder, primer, or casing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
In the meantime while we await capture...Feel free to mail me Larry’s 1000 rounds of replacement brass in 26 Nosler. I will keep it in trust for when Big Stick returns...You can PM me for my shipping information.

Thank you for your understanding.

Beaver10 😎

Listen here ya selfish son of a bïtch if free brass shows up i get half. After all 1000 rounds of Nosler Brass is likely enough to torch 17 barrels minimum

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
In the meantime while we await capture...Feel free to mail me Larry’s 1000 rounds of replacement brass in 26 Nosler. I will keep it in trust for when Big Stick returns...You can PM me for my shipping information.

Beaver10 😎

Listen here ya selfish son of a bïtch if free brass shows up i get half. After all 1000 rounds of Nosler Brass is likely enough to torch 17 barrels minimum

Haha. I haven't heard of someone threatening to fiery furnace someone. I'm keeping that one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Beaver10 😎

Haha. I haven't heard of someone threatening to fiery furnace someone. I'm keeping that one.

You’ve got a lot of catching up to do...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On a serious note DerekP, any plans to run any 28 Nosler Brass soon. It seems that shït is unobtabium right now and I bet you could sell a million piece run in 48 hours. If you run it and need a beta tester I will humbly offer my services......😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a serious note DerekP, any plans to run any 28 Nosler Brass soon. It seems that shït is unobtabium right now and I bet you could sell a million piece run in 48 hours. If you run it and need a beta tester I will humbly offer my services......😁

7 WSM....that'd sting.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

I don't have any good news on that front. We have 4 new calibers coming out in the next 90 days, and none of them are the 28 Nosler. I think we will be tackling that one early in 2019. It is based off of the RUM family, and we don't make that family yet. But we are coming out with a new ELR cartridge, in conjunction with another company, and it should hit the market in a few months. It is really impressive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

X2 on 28 Nosler brass.

I think Nosler is dragging their feet because they can’t produce a 28 Nosler in house that doesn’t have a magazine box length limited to 3.425”...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

7 WSM....that'd sting.

I have designed our new tooling for the WSM family, and even made some sample parts, but it is also going to be coming out in early 2019. The good news is that once we come out with it, we will make sure it stays in stock, as best we can, so there isn't any shortage of it after we start building it. That is the same for the 28 Nosler when we come out with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

7 WSM....that'd sting.

I have designed our new tooling for the WSM family, and even made some sample parts, but it is also going to be coming out in early 2019. The good news is that once we come out with it, we will make sure it stays in stock, as best we can, so there isn't any shortage of it after we start building it. That is the same for the 28 Nosler when we come out with it.

Oops.....let me give you some background. BS/Boxer/Larry is the official spokesperson for all things 7 WSM. Just ask him.

I've no dog in this fight.

Welcome to the 'fire....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

7 WSM....that'd sting.

Oops.....let me give you some background. BS/Boxer/Larry is the official spokesperson for all things 7 WSM. Just ask him.

I've no dog in this fight.

Welcome to the 'fire....

Haha. I'm good then. No need to elaborate.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Maybe Larry got a little buzzed, and went to work with his homemade flash hole uniformer. A roto zip bit chucked in the old Black @ Decker drill, and the trigger switch duct taped to full RPM.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KenMi
Maybe Larry got a little buzzed, and went to work with his homemade flash hole uniformer. A roto zip bit chucked in the old Black @ Decker drill, and the trigger switch duct taped to full RPM.

Say what you will about Stick mate, he does know what he is doing.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've seen enough deflection to know where my money will never go.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 9 of 48 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 47 48

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.