Campfire Tracker
J
Anybody have any 243 AI loads?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s amazing this thread made it more than 1 page.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, it's not.... :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by joshf303

Retumbo and 105's, but [bleep] Josh, you still driving a model T? Listening to an 8 track? Dating chicks with big hairy beavers? Still using Leupold's? Ain't ya heard? 243AI is sooooo 2015. Its 2018 baby...grab you a 6 Creed and get with the times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Retumbo and 105's, but [bleep] Josh, you still driving a model T? Listening to an 8 track? Dating chicks with big hairy beavers? Still using Leupold's? Ain't ya heard? 243AI is sooooo 2015. Its 2018 baby...grab you a 6 Creed and get with the times.

Holy crap that's funny....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

LOL, so true.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure what to think about this thread.. Sure has gone sideways. I have never used Peterson brass, but have used most of the others. Had an issue with a well know maker, not one of the big ones, but a good supplier of the harder to find ones. The issue I had was with an easy to find one, 38 Special. Good price, good reputation. Well had 15 split cases out of 50 on the first reload. I was not as snarkie as Larry.. The response I got was not to me acceptable. My load was 2.7g Bullseye with a 148g HBWC, a classic bullseye load that has been around for decades. The explanation for the split cases was detonation due to the small powder load. ?? They replaced the cases, with a few more no issues. Hardness, etc?? I don't know. Other brass is fine with this load, even up to 20 reloads and still going. The cases were segregated and used with other loads and they were fine. I would always give a vendor a chance to see what they would do, they responded. Things happen, will they make it right? The pictures did not look very good, but I do enough to know I can with a camera make things look bad. Social Media I guess LOL wishing for the good old times. I would not exempt Pederson brass on Larry's recommendation.. However I might look at it a bit closer.. Getting into a shouting match with Larry on the internet is a losing proposition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I overheard a conversation at a microbrewery last night that sure sounded like unsheared beaver was making a comeback..

True story.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hope so. I have several pairs of striped tube socks for just such an occasion

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You and John Burns.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No idea why but hairy beavers make me think of roller skates. Not rollerblades, old school roller skates.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
You and John Burns.

Now I'm gonna have a mental picture of John Burns in roller skates and tube socks...[bleep]!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know he’s got a pair stashed away somewhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston

I overheard a conversation at a microbrewery last night that sure sounded like unsheared beaver was making a comeback..

True story.

Oh, yeah, it's back. I was in Vegas just a couple of weeks ago. I'm diggin' it. grin

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Originally Posted by smithrjd
Not sure what to think about this thread.. Sure has gone sideways. I have never used Peterson brass, but have used most of the others. Had an issue with a well know maker, not one of the big ones, but a good supplier of the harder to find ones. The issue I had was with an easy to find one, 38 Special. Good price, good reputation. Well had 15 split cases out of 50 on the first reload. I was not as snarkie as Larry.. The response I got was not to me acceptable. My load was 2.7g Bullseye with a 148g HBWC, a classic bullseye load that has been around for decades. The explanation for the split cases was detonation due to the small powder load. ?? They replaced the cases, with a few more no issues. Hardness, etc?? I don't know. Other brass is fine with this load, even up to 20 reloads and still going. The cases were segregated and used with other loads and they were fine. I would always give a vendor a chance to see what they would do, they responded. Things happen, will they make it right? The pictures did not look very good, but I do enough to know I can with a camera make things look bad. Social Media I guess LOL wishing for the good old times. I would not exempt Pederson brass on Larry's recommendation.. However I might look at it a bit closer.. Getting into a shouting match with Larry on the internet is a losing proposition.

Just my 2 cents. Awhile back, when we 1st started making big magnum casings, (338 Lapua Family) we had a customer call in and say that they had an issue with a few of the casings out of the box splitting when he tried to fire form them into AI. When we traced back the issue, it turned out that we needed to anneal further down the casing body during our tapering operation. When we did our next run of them, we changed our anneal gradient in the body of the casing to make it a little softer further down. Damned if that didn’t fix the issue. Never had a complaint about that after we made the change. We don’t make pistol casings, but I bet it would be the same solution. With rifle, we had to be very careful not to anneal too far down though, or the casings would be too soft in the head and lower body to have good reloadability. I bet, if you were so inclined to do so, you could have run those casings through a flame annealer, just kissed the tops of them with the flame, and maybe have been able to solve the problem. Sending them back is usually the fastest way to solve the issue though, since they shouldn’t have cracked from the beginning. Again, just my experience.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DerekP, try to stay on topic please.
Hairy beavers: yeah or nay?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Derek,
I appreciate the response. Funny my son's name is spelled the same way. As a consumer, I would not want to have to anneal a new pistol case. I would expect it to work with a very well know load. The pistol was a S&W 52 which now is getting rather expensive. No damage but I would not want to subject it to split cases an a regular basis. It seems every manufacturer has issues from time to time. A QC issue I would guess, a changed process, new raw material etc. To me it is the response to a problem that makes a difference. Most often right or wrong the "customer" is right even If they are not. The cases actually split in the center, The top and bottom was fine.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
DerekP, try to stay on topic please.
Hairy beavers: yeah or nay?

Haha. Not touching that topic with an extendable 20’ pole. Haha

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Derek,
I appreciate the response. Funny my son's name is spelled the same way. As a consumer, I would not want to have to anneal a new pistol case. I would expect it to work with a very well know load. The pistol was a S&W 52 which now is getting rather expensive. No damage but I would not want to subject it to split cases an a regular basis. It seems every manufacturer has issues from time to time. A QC issue I would guess, a changed process, new raw material etc. To me it is the response to a problem that makes a difference. Most often right or wrong the "customer" is right even If they are not. The cases actually split in the center, The top and bottom was fine.

That makes perfect sense about not wanting to re-anneal. Ours did the same thing too. Split in the center. The crack started just below the shoulder and continued down the body about half way. The mouth was fine and the lower body was fine. We could never figure out exactly where it originated from. The shoulder, or the center of the body. It happens in the chamber, so we just got to see the aftermath on the casing. Kind of weird, but the hardness was our culprit. I believe pistol casings are batch annealed after they are finished being drawn to help relieve the stress put into the brass during the drawing process. I’m not sure of that though. For us in rifle, we anneal the body before tapering and then the mouth and shoulder region one last time as a final step to make sure all of the stress is out of the mouth and shoulder to make sure the casing doesn’t crack over time and to make sure the bullet has correct tension and release.

Page 16 of 48 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 47 48

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.